UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dixon02

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby dixon02 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:50 pm

Heat wrote:
pjo wrote:Why does student services set the 2L cap for classes so low? 3 out of 6 of the classes I want are already filled, and they're not even small courses.

Edit: Ok, the past 7 classes I've looked at are filled. WTF

I mean yea it sucks for us 2Ls but it also makes sense that the 3Ls who won't have another opportunity to take these classes get first dibs on the seats. If they saved more classes for us then 3Ls wouldn't be taking the classes they wanted and could potentially miss out on them permanently.

Don't disagree that 3Ls should have higher priority, but why should they get all of their classes before we get any? This system sucks. It's also completely impossible to attempt to plan a schedule when you have no clue which classes you'll actually get.

pjo

Postby pjo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:53 pm

Heat wrote:
pjo wrote:Why does student services set the 2L cap for classes so low? 3 out of 6 of the classes I want are already filled, and they're not even small courses.

I mean yea it sucks for us 2Ls but it also makes sense that the 3Ls who won't have another opportunity to take these classes get first dibs on the seats. If they saved more classes for us then 3Ls wouldn't be taking the classes they wanted and could potentially miss out on them permanently.

Its my understanding that they don't "save" any seats at all for 2Ls (or else all these classes wouldn't already be filled). Also the 2L cap is only there to save seats for LLMs and transfer students. So basically everyone else has spots reserved except 2Ls. I'm not saying that other groups (3Ls/LLMs/Transfers) should just get screwed over either, but c'mon, at this point I'm having trouble finding 15 credits worth of classes that don't overlap, let alone classes I'm actually interested in.

Heat

Postby Heat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:00 pm

pjo wrote:
Heat wrote:

Its my understanding that they don't "save" any seats at all for 2Ls (or else all these classes wouldn't already be filled). Also the 2L cap is only there to save seats for LLMs and transfer students. So basically everyone else has spots reserved except 2Ls. I'm not saying that they should just get screwed over either, but c'mon, at this point I'm having trouble finding 15 credits worth of classes that don't overlap, let alone classes I'm actually interested in.

"save more" was inaccurate then. Regardless I don't have a problem with 3Ls getting to choose their classes before we do. Additionally, you don't need 15 credits of classes each semester.

That being said I totally agree with the end of pjo's post. The lottery system isn't smart because its incredibly difficult to mak ea schedule without having any idea which classes we'll get. They should at least do the lottery incrementally.

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:48 am

joeshmo39 wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
pertristis wrote:
pjo wrote:Isn't the 2L lottery today? Why hasn't Cary Bennett sent anything or opened up lawreg to 2Ls?

You've answered your own question.

For once, I'm gonna have CB's back. The most recent 3L lottery went off without a hitch, and we even got our results a day early. Did you get an email in the last few days telling you that Lawreg would be open today? If not, you might be basing your expectations on a prior, tentative schedule, which is never a good idea.

Are our standards this low? 3L lottery going off without a hitch involves automated software running an automated lottery and sending out automated e-mails. We're willing to fucking congratulate him on that. A day early? A TI-89 calculator could run the entire lottery calculation in half an hour and it took days. A prior tentative schedule? I'm going to make sure all my meetings are now scheduled as "tentative" so I can show up late. When people bitch at me I'll say "read the intinerary, breh."

You've gotta give it to student records: expectation management.

Finally someone who doesn't lap up the shit they spoon feed us. This school really needs to pull its finger out its ass and step its game up. Jabba the hutt bennett is useless as tits on a bull.

gta1987

Postby gta1987 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:17 am

memaha wrote:
UVA Cavalier wrote:
memaha wrote:
UVA Cavalier wrote:When do NGSL invites come out?

Wait, you didn't hear... they already went out.

Impossible.

[redacted]

Did they really already go out?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:22 pm

You know what'd be great? If Cary Bennett picked a 2L SRO deadline that wasn't also A MAJOR OGI DEADLINE. for fucks sakes

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:45 pm

sundance95 wrote:You know what'd be great? If Cary Bennett picked a 2L SRO deadline that wasn't also A MAJOR OGI DEADLINE. for fucks sakes

What are you going to want next? Clean air? Non-poisoned food? A job? Rainbows and butterflies?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:32 pm

Inorite, I'm just a typical entitled millennial

616rewind

Postby 616rewind » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:24 pm

what's the deal with PR - do we have to take that at some point? or just something that satisfies the ethics req.

billyez

Postby billyez » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:52 pm

Pretty sure that you just have to take something in the ethics requirement. It can be PR, it can be Avoiding Club Fed...

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:56 pm

billyez wrote:Pretty sure that you just have to take something in the ethics requirement. It can be PR, it can be Avoiding Club Fed...

I thought avoiding Feb Club was unethical ...

pjo

Postby pjo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:24 pm

It's 4:30 and I still don't know what classes I'm taking this fall.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:51 pm

pjo wrote:It's 4:30 and I still don't know what classes I'm taking this fall.

You actually expect CB to be serious when he says "no later than 5:00"?

Edit - nice timing, CB.

pjo

Postby pjo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:05 pm

So what happens now considering I'm only enrolled in 6 credits for this semester? Wow, I freaking hate this system.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:07 pm

pertristis wrote:
billyez wrote:Pretty sure that you just have to take something in the ethics requirement. It can be PR, it can be Avoiding Club Fed...

I thought avoiding Feb Club was unethical ...

Even our Legal Writing professor is aware of your thoughts re: Feb Club, dear.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:13 pm

pjo wrote:So what happens now considering I'm only enrolled in 6 credits for this semester? Wow, I freaking hate this system.

You relax and add courses in the add/drop.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:50 pm

5ky wrote:
pjo wrote:So what happens now considering I'm only enrolled in 6 credits for this semester? Wow, I freaking hate this system.

Pick one of mine. I'm enrolled in five classes for sixteen credits. How do you feel about habeas corpus?

pjo

Postby pjo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:02 pm

albanach wrote:
5ky wrote:

Pick one of mine. I'm enrolled in five classes for sixteen credits. How do you feel about habeas corpus?

Ehh, do you have either one of the corporations classes? Still surprised both are filled.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:08 pm

pjo wrote:
albanach wrote:
5ky wrote:

Ehh, do you have either one of the corporations classes? Still surprised both are filled.

I'm afraid not or I would have been happy to drop that for you.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:23 pm

pjo wrote:
albanach wrote:
5ky wrote:

I ranked Geis's Corporations first and still didn't get it. Kind of annoyed.

Heat

Postby Heat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:49 pm

So did I, and most of my friends. :(

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:55 pm

Heat wrote:

So did I, and most of my friends. :(

I think there were only like 30 spots. Considering the other Corp meets at 8:30 on Friday, I bet it was the most popular #1 choice for 2Ls.

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:17 pm

I must have picked the magical combination for classes, as I got my one selection in the first round and would have had my top five selections this round had I not maxed out on credits.

turkeysub

Postby turkeysub » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:45 am

Well I thought I was in Geis' corporations...WTF UVA i'm in 2 credits now for this semester

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:22 am

turkeysub wrote:Well I thought I was in Geis' corporations...WTF UVA i'm in 2 credits now for this semester

Is this a joke? THE DAY AFTER THE LOTTERY you tell us that the class half of us probably ranked #1 is cancelled? You really couldn't tell us this one day in advance? I'm usually pretty reserved and willing to default to the administration on most matters, but this is absolutely fucking ridiculous.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”