UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Wahoos

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Wahoos » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:51 am

Last edited by Wahoos on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:02 pm

When do we need to have our first semester tuition paid? I'm paying partially from savings, to avoid PLUS loans, but I'm not sure when I need to be ready to write a check.

Heat

Postby Heat » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:33 pm

anon sequitur wrote:When do we need to have our first semester tuition paid? I'm paying partially from savings, to avoid PLUS loans, but I'm not sure when I need to be ready to write a check.

They sent out an email awhile back that said something along the lines of: Our bills will be available July 22nd(ish) and are due by August 22nd(ish).

It's not exact but those numbers should be close.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:23 pm

Heat wrote:They sent out an email awhile back that said something along the lines of: Our bills will be available July 22nd(ish) and are due by August 22nd(ish).

It's not exact but those numbers should be close.

Thanks, I'm not good about reading those emails.

blahblewblah

Postby blahblewblah » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:21 pm

Wahoos wrote:
PatrickChewing15 wrote:
Wahoos wrote:
barneytrouble wrote:
not an ivy alum but ive split an apartment or two in my time... both people take a piece of paper and write down what they would pay for the more desirable room. highest bid wins it and then split accordingly.

This sounds like a good idea, and I'll definitely go with it

Still curious what people have done in the past for the two rooms at Ivy, if anyone could help out

I am also splitting a 2 BR. I just plan on deciding how to split it up like reasonable people when that time comes. Why so concerned about it?

I'm not really "concerned", I just figured someone on here has lived in Ivy Garden?? Was just curious as to what a standard difference has been for others to give me some perspective

I split it evenly down the middle. It is really not that big of a difference.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:08 am

Congrats to the new UVA admits. A lot of 0Ls want to know what they can do to prepare. The answer is: don't, enjoy the rest of your summer, but one thing really should do is set up Dropbox on your computer. It automatically backs up a folder you choose to the cloud, so you never lose anything due to computer problems.

You get 5GB of storage for free, but if you use this link to sign up, both you AND I will get an extra half gig of storage.
http://db.tt/ZMbjCwa
Is this a shameless plug to get me more space? Absolutely. But it is also some of the best advice you'll get ITT.

Congrats again and see you all in C'ville this fall. You'll know me when you see me; I'll be the stressed looking 2L running between interviews during your orientation week. Come say hi!

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:53 am

sundance95 wrote:Congrats to the new UVA admits. A lot of 0Ls want to know what they can do to prepare. The answer is: don't, enjoy the rest of your summer, but one thing really should do is set up Dropbox on your computer. It automatically backs up a folder you choose to the cloud, so you never lose anything due to computer problems.

You get 5GB of storage for free, but if you use this link to sign up, both you AND I will get an extra half gig of storage.
http://db.tt/ZMbjCwa
Is this a shameless plug to get me more space? Absolutely. But it is also some of the best advice you'll get ITT.

Congrats again and see you all in C'ville this fall. You'll know me when you see me; I'll be the stressed looking 2L running between interviews during your orientation week. Come say hi!

Seconded. Seriously, get Dropbox. Great for backing up during exams. Also great for allowing you to access all of your files from the computer labs at school for easy last-minute printing.

memaha

Postby memaha » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:40 am

ucbkenn wrote:Would someone mind posting pictures of the Jeffersonian apartments? I've heard they're pretty old, but are they still somewhat nice? Any bug problems?

The apartments are fine, clean, and nice enough for a law student. Older-style carpet (think thick 70s-esque), and cabinetry but most of the appliances are nicer and newer than Ivy apartments (unless you get an Ivy apt that has been renovated recently). The landlady and her husband live in the complex, which is helpful for any apartment concerns (broken light/dishwasher/garbage disposal/shower, etc). On the other hand, she is a stickler about no parties and will terrify you into never having large groups of people over. She is a nice lady otherwise, and I have never had a problem with her.

616rewind

Postby 616rewind » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:11 pm

SEEKING: B+ in PR. Thought the options were just Balnave and Cohen, but on LawReg it looks like Hylton and Ryan are also teaching it. Thoughts?

sherpaorlawschool

Postby sherpaorlawschool » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:03 pm

Is it a bad idea to try to get into a clinic fall of 2L year?

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:15 pm

616rewind wrote:SEEKING: B+ in PR. Thought the options were just Balnave and Cohen, but on LawReg it looks like Hylton and Ryan are also teaching it. Thoughts?

Consensus seems to be that if you want a B+, Balnave is your guy; avoid Cohen at all costs. Ryan was new this year so not sure. Also not sure about Hylton.

bluecrab5448

Postby bluecrab5448 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:41 pm

dixon02 wrote:
616rewind wrote:SEEKING: B+ in PR. Thought the options were just Balnave and Cohen, but on LawReg it looks like Hylton and Ryan are also teaching it. Thoughts?

Consensus seems to be that if you want a B+, Balnave is your guy; avoid Cohen at all costs. Ryan was new this year so not sure. Also not sure about Hylton.

Hylton and Ryan are teaching spring semester. For Fall, it's just Cohen and Balnave. I've heard rumblings that Cohen's exam is extremely difficult FWIW.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:07 pm

Definitely avoid Cohen if all you want is a B+. He covers a lot more material than the other PR professors (he spends a third of the semester on securities fraud, which the other professors basically don't touch), and he gives a fair amount of A+ grades, meaning that lots of gunners are drawn to him, so the curve can be nasty.

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:00 am

Are there any Trial Ad teachers that we should avoid?

jimmythecatdied6

Postby jimmythecatdied6 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:03 am

What classes do you all recommend for 2L?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:54 pm

jimmythecatdied6 wrote:What classes do you all recommend for 2L?

It depends on what you want to do. If OGI goes well and you don't desire anything beyond big law, just take a mix of classes relevant to your desired practice and easy/interesting classes. I'd say corporations and evidence are probably the only classes you should definitely aim to take at some point before graduation. If you want to do criminal stuff, then do criminal investigation, adjudication, trial ad, etc. If you want to clerk, then you should try to have a transcript of mostly substantive classes (such as fed courts and admin law rather than underwater basket-weaving law), and also take classes that hopefully won't harm your GPA.

Also consider that if you're doing OGI and going on lots of callbacks, you probably will miss several days of class and get behind on everything. 2L fall is probably the worst semester to have a tough schedule.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:55 pm

Cavalier wrote:

It depends on what you want to do. If OGI goes well and you don't desire anything beyond big law, just take a mix of classes relevant to your desired practice and easy/interesting classes. I'd say corporations and evidence are probably the only classes you should definitely aim to take at some point before graduation. If you want to do criminal stuff, then do criminal investigation, adjudication, trial ad, etc. If you want to clerk, then you should try to have a transcript of mostly substantive classes (such as fed courts and admin law rather than underwater basket-weaving law), and also take classes that hopefully won't harm your GPA.

Also consider that if you're doing OGI and going on lots of callbacks, you probably will miss several days of class and get behind on everything. 2L fall is probably the worst semester to have a tough schedule.

What classes do you recommend for passing the VA bar?

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:54 am

I agree that if you are going on a lot of callbacks, you'll need a light schedule in the fall, and try to get classes with profs who record the class (most will do it if you tell them you have callbacks). It's completely possible to miss most of the first month (or more) of school doing callbacks.

Other than that, evidence, corporations, and professional responsibility are three classes you really should/must take before leaving law school, so you might as well take them your 2L year.

Most important, though, is trying to get Advanced Legal Research in the spring (it's too much work for 2L fall if you have callbacks). If you go to a firm, they will probably ask you to do a lot of research, and ALR is key. If I were the UVA dean, I would make ALR a required course for 2Ls in the spring because I think it's such a huge boost for a summer associate. ALR will also make the rest of law school a little easier.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:28 am

What's geis' curve like? I'm really struggling with what to take, I'm at the upper end of the class and a lot of conventional wisdom says to take heavy B+ classes that I'm trying to avoid. I know seminars and paper classes should be avoided as well, but I'm not in Cville and so can't check the curve binders. If anyone has prof advice that'd be great, feel free to pm me as well.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:42 pm

sundance95 wrote:What's geis' curve like? I'm really struggling with what to take, I'm at the upper end of the class and a lot of conventional wisdom says to take heavy B+ classes that I'm trying to avoid. I know seminars and paper classes should be avoided as well, but I'm not in Cville and so can't check the curve binders. If anyone has prof advice that'd be great, feel free to pm me as well.

Geis follows the ideal curve to a T: ~1% A+, ~10% A, ~20%A-, ~40% B+, ~ 30% B or below with a precise 3.30 median.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:26 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
sundance95 wrote:What's geis' curve like? I'm really struggling with what to take, I'm at the upper end of the class and a lot of conventional wisdom says to take heavy B+ classes that I'm trying to avoid. I know seminars and paper classes should be avoided as well, but I'm not in Cville and so can't check the curve binders. If anyone has prof advice that'd be great, feel free to pm me as well.

Geis follows the ideal curve to a T: ~1% A+, ~10% A, ~20%A-, ~40% B+, ~ 30% B or below with a precise 3.30 median.

How hard is it generally to get into his Corporations class? In other words, if I don't rank it first, am I going to get shut out?

t-ender

Postby t-ender » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:59 pm

VLR new members are posted

--LinkRemoved--

jimmythecatdied6

Postby jimmythecatdied6 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:31 pm

Eight from Section G... gots to be some sorta record

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:53 pm