UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dixon02

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby dixon02 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:15 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
dixon02 wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:They aren't letting J. Johnston teach Contracts to poor 1Ls anymore, wish they had done that earlier...

Yes they are. He's teaching H+I. And why the hate? His reviews are pretty high; most people I know loved that guy.

Well, section I says it's having Kordana with H, so somebody fucked up. But I liked Johnston a hell of a lot more than Wooly, GAH

Kordana is J's small section, so I is definitely with H and has Johnston.

Agreed D is stacked, but E is right there with them: Mahoney, Harmon, Rutherglen, Abraham. D probably has a more enjoyable lineup; gunners would prefer E for the prestige. They're both pretty dynamite.

auburnbelle89

Postby auburnbelle89 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:39 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
dixon02 wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:They aren't letting J. Johnston teach Contracts to poor 1Ls anymore, wish they had done that earlier...

Yes they are. He's teaching H+I. And why the hate? His reviews are pretty high; most people I know loved that guy.

Well, section I says it's having Kordana with H, so somebody fucked up. But I liked Johnston a hell of a lot more than Wooly, GAH

Johnston is with H and I. Kordana is with J. My bad (I'll edit the original post). :)

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:35 pm

If George White got better reviews, I would say Section C would be the best.

A troika of Heytens, Mahoney and Coughlin is about as good as you can get.

For reference, these are Heytens' scores for "Overall, the instructor taught the course effectively":

4.96, 4.95, 5.00, 4.97, 5.00, 5.00. That's hella good.

barneytrouble

Postby barneytrouble » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:31 pm

Anyone have experience dealing with Linda Owens as their realtor/landlord or whatever? Looking at a couple of places she handles.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:43 pm

dixon02 wrote:

He's one of my fav. profs from 1L.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:47 pm

RVP11 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
RVP11 wrote:Section D is stacked.

Stacked with good professors. Do the best profs usually have a more extreme curve (more As and B-s) or more likely to give out mostly B+s (I have heard some give out up to 80% B+ from you guys (this may be an exageration)

Yes, 80% is an exaggeration. UVA Law students exaggerate about the B+ curve all the time. The highest I've ever seen in a large, doctrinal class was something like 65%. But any prof who gives 50%+ gets a reputation for giving "80%." The only two professors on that list who have a deserved "B+ reputation" are Abraham and Kordana. They don't let Leslie teach 1Ls anymore, and O'Connell retired.

Woolhandler gives out like 60% B+'s

billyez

Postby billyez » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:45 pm

5ky wrote:If George White got better reviews, I would say Section C would be the best.

White should get stronger reviews and Section C is certainly among the top 3 best. Honestly, I don't think there are any sections that got the short end of the stick, as it were.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:35 pm

UVA brothers and sisters, my first question in this great thread. Any reason why I shouldn't buy a blue commuter permit?

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Tom Joad wrote:UVA brothers and sisters, my first question in this great thread. Any reason why I shouldn't buy a blue commuter permit?

Where are you living? The blue permits are hella expensive for how far you have to walk anyway. If you live in one of the apartment complexes that's a walkable distance from grounds or has buses running to school, I would recommend not buying one.

And if you don't live close enough to walk... you don't really have much of a choice, do you?

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:44 pm

not true. park on arlington.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:10 pm

Yeah, I guess that is a viable option. I just never woke up early enough.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:34 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:UVA brothers and sisters, my first question in this great thread. Any reason why I shouldn't buy a blue commuter permit?

Where are you living? The blue permits are hella expensive for how far you have to walk anyway. If you live in one of the apartment complexes that's a walkable distance from grounds or has buses running to school, I would recommend not buying one.

And if you don't live close enough to walk... you don't really have much of a choice, do you?

Hella expensive? Where'd you go to undergrad? They're like $200 for the entire year.

Also, park on Arlington? I mean you can do it, but is getting there early enough to do it or otherwise having to search for spots really worth $200 a year? You're borrowing like $70k a year for school; shell out the $200 for a parking pass. The walk is also not as bad as people make it out to be.

To the OP: you might not be allowed to buy one depending on where you live. If you live in Ivy, for instance, they won't sell you one. I forget how far from campus you have to be. If you're not walking distance then yeah, go for it.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:46 pm

I will be like 6 miles away at Eagles Landing so I don't plan on walking. Thanks for the tips though. $200 doesn't seem too bad for parking to me.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:06 am

dixon02 wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:

Hella expensive? Where'd you go to undergrad? They're like $200 for the entire year.

Also, park on Arlington? I mean you can do it, but is getting there early enough to do it or otherwise having to search for spots really worth $200 a year? You're borrowing like $70k a year for school; shell out the $200 for a parking pass. The walk is also not as bad as people make it out to be.

To the OP: you might not be allowed to buy one depending on where you live. If you live in Ivy, for instance, they won't sell you one. I forget how far from campus you have to be. If you're not walking distance then yeah, go for it.

$200 isn't bad in and of itself. It just seems like kind of a ripoff considering (a) how far you have to walk from the lot to the school, and (b) that many, probably most, people have free alternatives (walking, biking, buses, etc.).

But yeah, if you're living at Eagles Landing, get the permit.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:25 am

Tom Joad wrote:I will be like 6 miles away at Eagles Landing so I don't plan on walking. Thanks for the tips though. $200 doesn't seem too bad for parking to me.

Yeah, I went to a school where parking permits were 3 times that price lol I paid 50 bucks a month.

I will be living over by Jefferson ridge/woodlands, so I'll be in the blue lot with you. Can we buy those already?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:26 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:I will be like 6 miles away at Eagles Landing so I don't plan on walking. Thanks for the tips though. $200 doesn't seem too bad for parking to me.

Yeah, I went to a school where parking permits were 3 times that price lol I paid 50 bucks a month.

I will be living over by Jefferson ridge/woodlands, so I'll be in the blue lot with you. Can we buy those already?

I can't find a darn email address for parking services so I will have to call them when I am not at work. I will find out shortly and update you though.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:03 am

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:46 am

YCrevolution wrote:

In the past, they haven't started selling them until August. I think there may be information on LawWeb, too (not sure if you have access to that yet).[/quote]

If I remember right, parking in D-3 (the good lot, next to Caplin auditorium) was free for the first week or two, until they have the lottery for those permits. If you are living in Jefferson Ridge/Eagle's Landing, I highly recommend getting the blue permit, but don't worry about buying it now -- 1) I don't think they are for sale yet, and, 2) I don't think the school sets a cap on how many they sell, so they won't run out.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:52 pm

Jeffries in the Fall or Nelson in the Spring for Fed Courts?

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:58 pm

sundance95 wrote:Jeffries in the Fall or Nelson in the Spring for Fed Courts?

I love nelson. I think still...it would be hard to say Nelson because you can take him for Legislation. So I would go for Jeffries so you can try both out.

If Nelson, I hope you have AMAZING typing skills for taking notes :).

ucbkenn

Postby ucbkenn » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:11 pm

For those who have lived at Jeffersonian....

How nice are they? There aren't that many pictures online, but they look pretty old and run-down.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:17 pm

Do the law students or graduate students in general get really involved in the sports scene at UVA or is that more of an undergrad thing? And by involved, I mean going to a lot of the football games, basketball games, etc.

Anyway, trying to visit Charlottesville in September to see them play Penn State with a friend of mine (I'm C/O 2016 btw) and was wondering what's the best way to get tickets and also what a decent price would be to see them a play a good opponent. Right now StubHub has nose bleeds for $75 but I'm thinking that's high. If anyone has any knowledge of this I'd appreciate it!

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:02 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:Do the law students or graduate students in general get really involved in the sports scene at UVA or is that more of an undergrad thing? And by involved, I mean going to a lot of the football games, basketball games, etc.

Anyway, trying to visit Charlottesville in September to see them play Penn State with a friend of mine (I'm C/O 2016 btw) and was wondering what's the best way to get tickets and also what a decent price would be to see them a play a good opponent. Right now StubHub has nose bleeds for $75 but I'm thinking that's high. If anyone has any knowledge of this I'd appreciate it!

The thought of paying to watch uva football amuses me. Free for students, I went to one game, watched a few more on TV. Really think fb is a TV sport, but def intend to catch some baseball now that I'm done with 1L.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:18 pm

sundance95 wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:Do the law students or graduate students in general get really involved in the sports scene at UVA or is that more of an undergrad thing? And by involved, I mean going to a lot of the football games, basketball games, etc.

The thought of paying to watch uva football amuses me. Free for students, I went to one game, watched a few more on TV. Really think fb is a TV sport, but def intend to catch some baseball now that I'm done with 1L.

Wow what's free to students? All football games? All sporting events?

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:33 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

Wow what's free to students? All football games? All sporting events?

Pretty much everything

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”