UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tener

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby tener » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:09 pm

I'm looking to buy a new laptop before starting 1L, and was disappointed to see the lack of discount through the CAV Store (at least re the Apple laptops.) Am I missing something? The prices seem similar to what you'd get straight from Apple with a student discount, so the only "plus" seems to be the benefit of having a loaner if you need it. But, it appears the CAV Store doesn't give you a choice of not buying AppleCare, so if I don't want that, I'd be better off just buying straight from Apple at a cheaper price.

Anyone else face a similar decision before when buying a MacBook Pro? CAV computer vs. Apple? Take it or leave it bundle (it looks like?)

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:16 pm

tener wrote:I'm looking to buy a new laptop before starting 1L, and was disappointed to see the lack of discount through the CAV Store (at least re the Apple laptops.) Am I missing something? The prices seem similar to what you'd get straight from Apple with a student discount, so the only "plus" seems to be the benefit of having a loaner if you need it. But, it appears the CAV Store doesn't give you a choice of not buying AppleCare, so if I don't want that, I'd be better off just buying straight from Apple at a cheaper price.

Anyone else face a similar decision before when buying a MacBook Pro? CAV computer vs. Apple? Take it or leave it bundle (it looks like?)

Yeah, I remember it being completely unimpressed by their offers also. Most people I know just bought their own. Some got the package so they'd have a loaner. More people I know who did that went the the MacBook. Tech services here are pretty helpful from my experience regardless of what you have. I'm a PC guy, so I didn't bother with CAV since I could get a PC for like half the price they were offering. Don't know the price differential for Macs, but I certainly wouldn't feel pressured/obligated to go through Cav.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:23 pm

dixon02 wrote:
tener wrote:I'm looking to buy a new laptop before starting 1L, and was disappointed to see the lack of discount through the CAV Store (at least re the Apple laptops.) Am I missing something? The prices seem similar to what you'd get straight from Apple with a student discount, so the only "plus" seems to be the benefit of having a loaner if you need it. But, it appears the CAV Store doesn't give you a choice of not buying AppleCare, so if I don't want that, I'd be better off just buying straight from Apple at a cheaper price.

Yeah, I remember it being completely unimpressed by their offers also. Most people I know just bought their own. Some got the package so they'd have a loaner. More people I know who did that went the the MacBook. Tech services here are pretty helpful from my experience regardless of what you have. I'm a PC guy, so I didn't bother with CAV since I could get a PC for like half the price they were offering. Don't know the price differential for Macs, but I certainly wouldn't feel pressured/obligated to go through Cav.

If you're going to get a Mac, I would recommend going through the cav store. As you noted, it's the same price as a macbook with apple care with the student discount, but you get the peace of mind of having a loaner laptop. I made it through 3 years without a problem, but I can assure you that at exam time, it was nice knowing that as long as I kept my outlines on dropbox, I'd always have a loaner if anything happened to my computer.

esq

Postby esq » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:02 pm

I've got a twin box-spring and mattress set ($10), a sofa ($50) and sofa-chair ($20), and entertainment cabinet (free) up for grabs if any students need to furnish their place. I'll throw all of them together for $60 if someone needs the whole shebang. We're moving out of the Copeleys right now and just don't have the room anymore, so if anyone wants to take a look before I throw this up on Craigslist, let me know. I've got a truck to get them to wherever you need to go. PM me if interested.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:29 am

I am going to be buying a Dell before law school (GFs dad works for Dell, So I can get a deal). What size screen do you guys reccomend? 13, 14 or 15? does it matter? Does the bigger screen = bigger buttons so that is more beneficial on test day?

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:39 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:I am going to be buying a Dell before law school (GFs dad works for Dell, So I can get a deal). What size screen do you guys reccomend? 13, 14 or 15? does it matter? Does the bigger screen = bigger buttons so that is more beneficial on test day?

Your grade is not going to be affected by the size of the buttons on your laptop. Go for long battery life and lightweight. I got a 14 before law school and would go 13 if I had to do it all over again.

MVPBDCNG_Anon

Postby MVPBDCNG_Anon » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:00 pm

Rising 3L's, can you head over to the UVA 2012 OGI thread to share your wisdom from last year? Thank you!

Heat

Postby Heat » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:01 pm

MVPBDCNG_Anon wrote:Rising 3L's, can you head over to the UVA 2012 OGI thread to share your wisdom from last year? Thank you!

Wheres that?

slax

Postby slax » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:21 pm

Heat wrote:
MVPBDCNG_Anon wrote:Rising 3L's, can you head over to the UVA 2012 OGI thread to share your wisdom from last year? Thank you!

Wheres that?

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=186875

Bree99

Postby Bree99 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:36 pm

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... &start=175

Was 2011 so bad that 64 grads had school-funded jobs?

Or was/is this an issue throughout the T-14? Curious to see if/why UVa may have been particularly hit.

anonymousse

Postby anonymousse » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:32 pm

Anyone know what the approximate cutoff is for LR? Or when those people get contacted?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:41 pm

anonymousse wrote:Anyone know what the approximate cutoff is for LR? Or when those people get contacted?

Low 3.7s. Early July.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:42 pm

Bree99 wrote:http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=181415&start=175

Was 2011 so bad that 64 grads had school-funded jobs?

Or was/is this an issue throughout the T-14? Curious to see if/why UVa may have been particularly hit.

The economy was in shambles in 2009. Not a UVA-specific problem.

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:15 pm

And then, out of nowhere, I have all my grades.

This morning, I had two out of six grades. Now I have all six. Seems weird to me that they would show up on Sunday night, but LAW SIS clearly moves in mysterious ways.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:44 pm

O/U of Kordana's Corporations grade getting posted: July 8th.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:08 am

jawsthegreat wrote:O/U of Kordana's Corporations grade getting posted: July 8th.

I'll take "over."

pjo

Postby pjo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:33 am

Any reccomendations for who to take/not to take for Professional Responsibility?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:01 pm

pjo wrote:Any reccomendations for who to take/not to take for Professional Responsibility?

Take Balnave.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:53 pm

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:18 pm

RVP11 wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:O/U of Kordana's Corporations grade getting posted: July 8th.

I'll take "over."

Dear God, he, oh my God. He was within days of the deadline. I'm honestly speechless right now.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:21 pm

RVP11 wrote:
pjo wrote:Any reccomendations for who to take/not to take for Professional Responsibility?

Take Balnave.

Take Hylton
Don't go to class
Don't read the text
-Don't buy the text
Read the model rules the night before exam
??????
2 credit B+

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:45 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

Take Balnave.

Take Hylton
Don't go to class
Don't read the text
-Don't buy the text
Read the model rules the night before exam
??????
2 credit B+

That's basically the same as Balnave.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:52 pm

Is there any feeling among students that the BOV/President's dismissal will lead to law faculty resignations or substantial effects on the law school?

The below link makes me a bit nervous...
--LinkRemoved--

pjo

Postby pjo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:00 pm

polkij333 wrote:Is there any feeling among students that the BOV/President's dismissal will lead to law faculty resignations or substantial effects on the law school?

The below link makes me a bit nervous...
--LinkRemoved--

Did you read the email sent out by Mahoney? It's pretty obvious that none of this has any bearing on the law school. PPL back home keep asking me about it and they seriously know more than I do about it. It's no big deal.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:28 pm

Is LRW pretty much all Westlaw / online database driven or is a substantial portion based on familiarity with print resources, digests, etc. ? Anything us 0Ls can do now to save some time and headache mid-semester?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”