UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
hooma
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby hooma » Thu May 24, 2012 3:24 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Do most students at UVA avoid private lenders for loans? I can get a killer rate (just below 4%) but I know this is risky. I wont be taking out full COA in loans but basically taking out an amount equivalent to full tuition..... SallieMae a bad idea? I wont be able to qualify for LRAP or IBR if I go this route, right?


I'm also interested in this. It seems like a good move if you can get a much lower interest rate and don't plan on using IBR or LRAP, do they tell you what the minimum monthly payments would be?

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 005618502 » Thu May 24, 2012 4:21 pm

hooma wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Do most students at UVA avoid private lenders for loans? I can get a killer rate (just below 4%) but I know this is risky. I wont be taking out full COA in loans but basically taking out an amount equivalent to full tuition..... SallieMae a bad idea? I wont be able to qualify for LRAP or IBR if I go this route, right?


I'm also interested in this. It seems like a good move if you can get a much lower interest rate and don't plan on using IBR or LRAP, do they tell you what the minimum monthly payments would be?


Not not when I got my "offer" after applying. But they do defer payments up to 6 months post graduation. I am curious to hear what others think but this may be a better idea to wait and see how you do first year and where where you stand job wise.

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby chem » Thu May 24, 2012 4:27 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
hooma wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Do most students at UVA avoid private lenders for loans? I can get a killer rate (just below 4%) but I know this is risky. I wont be taking out full COA in loans but basically taking out an amount equivalent to full tuition..... SallieMae a bad idea? I wont be able to qualify for LRAP or IBR if I go this route, right?


I'm also interested in this. It seems like a good move if you can get a much lower interest rate and don't plan on using IBR or LRAP, do they tell you what the minimum monthly payments would be?


Not not when I got my "offer" after applying. But they do defer payments up to 6 months post graduation. I am curious to hear what others think but this may be a better idea to wait and see how you do first year and where where you stand job wise.


Im not entirely clear on financial procedures, but could you discharge the loan through bankruptcy since it is a private loan? Otherwise it seems like you are trading saving a few thousand for losing a safety net. Depends how risk averse you are. If its non dischargeable, I wouldn't do it

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 005618502 » Thu May 24, 2012 5:21 pm

chem wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
hooma wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Do most students at UVA avoid private lenders for loans? I can get a killer rate (just below 4%) but I know this is risky. I wont be taking out full COA in loans but basically taking out an amount equivalent to full tuition..... SallieMae a bad idea? I wont be able to qualify for LRAP or IBR if I go this route, right?


I'm also interested in this. It seems like a good move if you can get a much lower interest rate and don't plan on using IBR or LRAP, do they tell you what the minimum monthly payments would be?


Not not when I got my "offer" after applying. But they do defer payments up to 6 months post graduation. I am curious to hear what others think but this may be a better idea to wait and see how you do first year and where where you stand job wise.


Im not entirely clear on financial procedures, but could you discharge the loan through bankruptcy since it is a private loan? Otherwise it seems like you are trading saving a few thousand for losing a safety net. Depends how risk averse you are. If its non dischargeable, I wouldn't do it


Still an educational loan, not dischargable. It would be more than a few thousand over the 3 and a half years till repayment is due. But yes, you lose a safety net.

User avatar
suspicious android
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby suspicious android » Thu May 24, 2012 5:53 pm

If you are planning to take significantly less than the maximum allowable loans, you could do that for 1 and 2L, then maximize for year 3, pay back your private loans with the federal loans, and save 2 years of higher interest payments while still getting the benefits of federal loans.

(disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about)

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19668
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby dailygrind » Thu May 24, 2012 6:57 pm

If I were you, I would at the very least max out the lowest interest rate federal loans, and I would probably take a good chunk of the remainder in 7.9% as well. If things go well, whatever you save will probably not be the biggest deal in the world (especially if you go back to Texas, with market pay on top of that ridiculously low cost of living), but if things go poorly, not having a safety net would be absolutely horrible. I guess I'm saying that if I were you, I would be risk averse, but that I think risk aversion is a good idea in these circumstances. Maybe you can get better loans after 1L, when you have a better idea of where you stand.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu May 24, 2012 7:25 pm

where the fuck are my grades.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6385
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Thu May 24, 2012 7:50 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:where the fuck are my grades.


It's only May, it's going to be a loooong wait.

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby crossingforHYS » Thu May 24, 2012 11:09 pm

this is not me in anyway,

but out of curiosity...how do people transfer/decide to transfer if we do not get grades till at least June?

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 005618502 » Fri May 25, 2012 10:27 am

dailygrind wrote:If I were you, I would at the very least max out the lowest interest rate federal loans, and I would probably take a good chunk of the remainder in 7.9% as well. If things go well, whatever you save will probably not be the biggest deal in the world (especially if you go back to Texas, with market pay on top of that ridiculously low cost of living), but if things go poorly, not having a safety net would be absolutely horrible. I guess I'm saying that if I were you, I would be risk averse, but that I think risk aversion is a good idea in these circumstances. Maybe you can get better loans after 1L, when you have a better idea of where you stand.


Yeah, 1st semester I will only have to take the 20,500 (lower rate) loans. So I guess I will do that and wait till after 1L to see where I am at.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby YCrevolution » Sat May 26, 2012 11:30 pm

..

616rewind
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:25 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 616rewind » Tue May 29, 2012 11:14 am

Does CS send out an email with firm hiring info? Thought KD had said that at some point but can't quite remember now.

User avatar
niro5
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby niro5 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:30 am

I'm a 0L and I happened to be in C-ville during finals, so I figured I should check out the vibe of the school during exams. I was surprised to see students taking exams with a laptop and second monitor in the exam rooms. Is this really a thing?

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby joemoviebuff » Tue May 29, 2012 11:47 am

niro5 wrote:I'm a 0L and I happened to be in C-ville during finals, so I figured I should check out the vibe of the school during exams. I was surprised to see students taking exams with a laptop and second monitor in the exam rooms. Is this really a thing?


It is for some. I'm sure they don't care, but the rest of their classmates were definitely making fun of them for doing so.

616rewind
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:25 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 616rewind » Tue May 29, 2012 1:01 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
niro5 wrote:I'm a 0L and I happened to be in C-ville during finals, so I figured I should check out the vibe of the school during exams. I was surprised to see students taking exams with a laptop and second monitor in the exam rooms. Is this really a thing?


It is for some. I'm sure they don't care, but the rest of their classmates were definitely making fun of them for doing so.

I should hope so...

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby YCrevolution » Tue May 29, 2012 9:20 pm

..

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6385
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Tue May 29, 2012 9:37 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
616rewind wrote:Does CS send out an email with firm hiring info? Thought KD had said that at some point but can't quite remember now.

Do you mean how to get hired by a firm/OGI process or firm hiring stats/data? They send out the former (quite a bit of the former), and none of the latter.


This year's firm OGI handbook is online now if you go into LawWeb, click on the Career Services/Clerkships tab, click on Student Career Services Home, and then click on Fall 2012 OGI handbook.

In a few weeks/days, you'll be able to see a current list of all of the firms coming to campus to interview. Last year at some point they sent out a document describing a lot of the firms, and said how many interview slots each was going to have, and how many people bid on/got interviews with the firm the last year.

If you want detailed information about which firms might match your GPA, you can get that information if you set up a meeting/phone meeting with career services over the summer. You have to meet/talk with them, though -- YC is right, they don't just send that out generally.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue May 29, 2012 10:29 pm

5ky wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
616rewind wrote:Does CS send out an email with firm hiring info? Thought KD had said that at some point but can't quite remember now.

Do you mean how to get hired by a firm/OGI process or firm hiring stats/data? They send out the former (quite a bit of the former), and none of the latter.


This year's firm OGI handbook is online now if you go into LawWeb, click on the Career Services/Clerkships tab, click on Student Career Services Home, and then click on Fall 2012 OGI handbook.

In a few weeks/days, you'll be able to see a current list of all of the firms coming to campus to interview. Last year at some point they sent out a document describing a lot of the firms, and said how many interview slots each was going to have, and how many people bid on/got interviews with the firm the last year.

If you want detailed information about which firms might match your GPA, you can get that information if you set up a meeting/phone meeting with career services over the summer. You have to meet/talk with them, though -- YC is right, they don't just send that out generally.


*wets self*

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6385
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Tue May 29, 2012 10:32 pm

Also, for OGI prep/questions (not much about bidding in here, but everything else), make sure to read this thread by the late, great, thesealocut: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=161018

It is my favorite post on all of TLS, I think.

616rewind
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:25 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 616rewind » Tue May 29, 2012 10:48 pm

5ky wrote:Also, for OGI prep/questions (not much about bidding in here, but everything else), make sure to read this thread by the late, great, thesealocut: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=161018

It is my favorite post on all of TLS, I think.

Sweet. I don't think I've picked a favorite yet, but it looks like a top 5-er for sure. Although I guess not much point in starting to look at firm shit before I even have a grade back.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19668
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby dailygrind » Tue May 29, 2012 11:29 pm

I'd strongly consider mass mailing (and attending diversity fairs, if applicable (I believe women are often diverse)) in advance of OGI unless you have a killer combo of work experience, grades, and interviewing skill. If you hustle enough you can land regional big law even if you're not high on the curve. If you don't hustle you can go bust at OGI with fairly high grades.

ETA: off the top of my head, I've heard the Delaware job fair isn't necessary the most fruitful in terms of callbacks (though it may still be useful for information gathering, and to show interest), I've heard the Vault thing in DC is okay if you get your resume submitted in a timely fashion, and of the SEMJF and CCBA, I know only that they exist.

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby crossingforHYS » Wed May 30, 2012 1:54 am

5ky wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
616rewind wrote:Does CS send out an email with firm hiring info? Thought KD had said that at some point but can't quite remember now.

Do you mean how to get hired by a firm/OGI process or firm hiring stats/data? They send out the former (quite a bit of the former), and none of the latter.


This year's firm OGI handbook is online now if you go into LawWeb, click on the Career Services/Clerkships tab, click on Student Career Services Home, and then click on Fall 2012 OGI handbook.

In a few weeks/days, you'll be able to see a current list of all of the firms coming to campus to interview. Last year at some point they sent out a document describing a lot of the firms, and said how many interview slots each was going to have, and how many people bid on/got interviews with the firm the last year.

If you want detailed information about which firms might match your GPA, you can get that information if you set up a meeting/phone meeting with career services over the summer. You have to meet/talk with them, though -- YC is right, they don't just send that out generally.


KD mentioned that this year they are compiling this for us. (edit: the whole gpa cut off for firm thing)

StanleyF
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:38 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby StanleyF » Wed May 30, 2012 7:16 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
5ky wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
616rewind wrote:Does CS send out an email with firm hiring info? Thought KD had said that at some point but can't quite remember now.

Do you mean how to get hired by a firm/OGI process or firm hiring stats/data? They send out the former (quite a bit of the former), and none of the latter.


KD mentioned that this year they are compiling this for us. (edit: the whole gpa cut off for firm thing)


Which is exactly what he said last year, and then decided not to send it. Regardless of whether he sends the list, set up a meeting with CSO to talk about your bidding strategy, etc. You won't regret it.

Excellent117
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Excellent117 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:39 pm

When are we supposed to get our LawWeb login information?

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby YCrevolution » Thu May 31, 2012 1:28 am

..




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests