UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
616rewind

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 616rewind » Mon May 14, 2012 6:04 pm

Any rising 3Ls have info about the job fairs that are administered by Duke/UVA/Georgetown? I'm interested in Chicago but it would definitely be an expensive trip. Just trying to figure out if it's worth it. And actually, whether any of these job fairs are worth it for (or even open to) your typical, not-at-all-diverse white guy.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Tue May 15, 2012 4:42 pm

616rewind wrote:Any rising 3Ls have info about the job fairs that are administered by Duke/UVA/Georgetown? I'm interested in Chicago but it would definitely be an expensive trip. Just trying to figure out if it's worth it. And actually, whether any of these job fairs are worth it for (or even open to) your typical, not-at-all-diverse white guy.

Is the job fair for 2L's or 3L's? Are you a rising 2L or 3L? I didn't read the e-mail from OSC - sorry. Might depend on your grades also. If you're in a good position grade-wise, should be able to mass mail + OGI to get BigLaw. But I don't have any experience w/these fairs so I might not be the most helpful.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue May 15, 2012 5:30 pm

desertlaw wrote:
616rewind wrote:Any rising 3Ls have info about the job fairs that are administered by Duke/UVA/Georgetown? I'm interested in Chicago but it would definitely be an expensive trip. Just trying to figure out if it's worth it. And actually, whether any of these job fairs are worth it for (or even open to) your typical, not-at-all-diverse white guy.

Is the job fair for 2L's or 3L's? Are you a rising 2L or 3L? I didn't read the e-mail from OSC - sorry. Might depend on your grades also. If you're in a good position grade-wise, should be able to mass mail + OGI to get BigLaw. But I don't have any experience w/these fairs so I might not be the most helpful.
If this is in reference to the "OGI extension" program (which is what it sounds like), I attended the ones in Dallas and Houston last year and found them very helpful. It gets you in front of firms that won't be coming to OGI, gives you interview practice, and allows you to show serious interest in markets where you may not have established ties. I have no Texas ties, but last year I got two callbacks and an offer from this program that I in all likelihood would not have gotten merely from mass-mailing.

616rewind

Postby 616rewind » Tue May 15, 2012 5:42 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
desertlaw wrote:

If this is in reference to the "OGI extension" program (which is what it sounds like), I attended the ones in Dallas and Houston last year and found them very helpful. It gets you in front of firms that won't be coming to OGI, gives you interview practice, and allows you to show serious interest in markets where you may not have established ties. I have no Texas ties, but last year I got two callbacks and an offer from this program that I in all likelihood would not have gotten merely from mass-mailing.

Yea, I think we're talking about the same thing (OGI extension). I don't have any ties to Chicago and unfortunately wasn't able to get a 1L job there, but I'm thinking of going anyway. Did you have a good reason for wanting to work in TX, or did the firms pretty much take your interest in TX as a given since you'd made the effort to fly out there?

I'm a rising 2L. And yea I guess we'll see about grades, I'm about top quarter right now but definitely not expecting or counting on that to hold up. Even if it does, definitely just want to maximize chances at a job any way I can. Just not sure if $500 or so for plane/hotel would be worth it with no real connections to Chicago.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue May 15, 2012 6:08 pm

616rewind wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
desertlaw wrote:

Yea, I think we're talking about the same thing (OGI extension). I don't have any ties to Chicago and unfortunately wasn't able to get a 1L job there, but I'm thinking of going anyway. Did you have a good reason for wanting to work in TX, or did the firms pretty much take your interest in TX as a given since you'd made the effort to fly out there?

I'm a rising 2L. And yea I guess we'll see about grades, I'm about top quarter right now but definitely not expecting or counting on that to hold up. Even if it does, definitely just want to maximize chances at a job any way I can. Just not sure if $500 or so for plane/hotel would be worth it with no real connections to Chicago.
I have good reasons for wanting to be there, but they're not unique--value proposition (salary vs. COL), weather, etc. I am much older than the average law student and married with kids, though, so I think that makes me more credible than a similarly situated K-JDer when I talk about wanting to put down roots. OTOH, my resume shows me working in five different states over the last decade, so I definitely got the "why Texas?" question in every interview.

As for the money, it's a drop in the bucket. If you end up with a NY/DC/Chi/LA/TX firm job next summer, you'll literally make more than that your first day on the job. The interview experience/confidence alone is probably worth the $500. You should try to get the most out of it, though. If there are firms in Chicago that interest you but will be at neither the OGI extension nor OGI, use this trip as an opportunity to connect with them as well. Plan to get there a couple of days early or leave a couple of days late. As soon as grades come out, mass-mail those firms and let them know that you'll be in town for a few days and would like to meet with them.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Sat May 19, 2012 3:56 pm

I second Blue Whale books--I have the best collectibles from there!

also kings family vineyard
plenipotentiary wrote:
Excellent117 wrote:I'm visiting Charlottesville this weekend with my SO, is there anything/anywhere in particular that I should show her that will get her more excited about moving to the area?

Definitely take her to the downtown mall: Blue Whale Books and the New Dominion Bookshop, Splendora's (best gelato ever), Positively 4th Street (drinks, food, etc). You should see the University's main grounds, especially the Rotunda (even though presumably you won't be spending much time there). Take her hiking if she likes nature, Blue Mountain Brewery if she doesn't. Also, Dar Williams is playing here on Saturday night, if your lady is into that kind of thing.

Excellent117

Postby Excellent117 » Mon May 21, 2012 8:39 pm

Does anyone have any insight on how easy/difficult it is to gain residency status in Virginia?

Also, is the first semester of 1L at UVA always: Civ Pro, Contracts, Criminal Law, Torts, and Legal Writing?
Last edited by Excellent117 on Mon May 21, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon May 21, 2012 8:42 pm

Excellent117 wrote:Does anyone have any insight on how easy/difficult it is to gain residency status in Virginia?

Hard.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Mon May 21, 2012 8:43 pm

Excellent117 wrote:Does anyone have any insight on how easy/difficult it is to gain residency status in Virginia?

pretty easy if you have a spouse who works in Virginia and provides most of your family's income

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon May 21, 2012 8:53 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:

pretty easy if you have a spouse who works in Virginia and provides most of your family's income

Yeah, this.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon May 21, 2012 9:41 pm

Excellent117 wrote:
Also, is the first semester of 1L at UVA always: Civ Pro, Contracts, Criminal Law, Torts, and Legal Writing?

yes

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon May 21, 2012 10:24 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:

I think you can also move and work there for a year in advance. It gives you a slight boost in admissions, too. Win all around, fo sho.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue May 22, 2012 9:44 am

5ky wrote:

Hard.

Presumption is against you, even if you are married. http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+23-7.4

roddy4

Postby roddy4 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:15 pm

As far as the fall break goes, is it possible to make plans for that time or is the workload at that point in the semester too heavy to go anywhere? Do students usually stay in Charlottesville to catch up on work or do most students go home, etc.?

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:45 pm

roddy4 wrote:As far as the fall break goes, is it possible to make plans for that time or is the workload at that point in the semester too heavy to go anywhere? Do students usually stay in Charlottesville to catch up on work or do most students go home, etc.?

You can definitely go out of town and still manage the workload. A lot of people who live on the East Coast do go home or otherwise go out of town. People who live farther away are more likely to stick around, and plenty just hang out anyway.

barneytrouble

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby barneytrouble » Wed May 23, 2012 11:46 am

hey guys for eagles landing, does everyone who lives there drive to school? or is there some sort of easy walk-bus-walk combo that most people who live there do? i've got a car now but it is on its last legs and would hate to sign a lease then have it die halfway through.

Heat

Postby Heat » Wed May 23, 2012 4:32 pm

barneytrouble wrote:hey guys for eagles landing, does everyone who lives there drive to school? or is there some sort of easy walk-bus-walk combo that most people who live there do? i've got a car now but it is on its last legs and would hate to sign a lease then have it die halfway through.

You are gonna need to drive. Additionally, Eagles Landing isn't nice at all unlike the other apartment complexes in the area so its probably not worth the hassle. It's IMO not as nice as Ivy but at the very least it is on par. Ivy you obviously can walk from without a problem.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Wed May 23, 2012 5:19 pm

barneytrouble wrote:hey guys for eagles landing, does everyone who lives there drive to school? or is there some sort of easy walk-bus-walk combo that most people who live there do? i've got a car now but it is on its last legs and would hate to sign a lease then have it die halfway through.

I live near Eagles Landing, and I've seen an Eagles Landing private bus that takes students to school, but I think it probably only goes to central grounds. You should call them and find out about the shuttle service. Even if it only goes to central grounds, you could probably take a UVA bus to the law school.

seahawk32

Postby seahawk32 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:03 am

When and how do we receive our schedule/section?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu May 24, 2012 12:18 am

seahawk32 wrote:When and how do we receive our schedule/section?

Just a few days before school starts in August. You have many moons to wait.

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:54 am

roddy4 wrote:As far as the fall break goes, is it possible to make plans for that time or is the workload at that point in the semester too heavy to go anywhere? Do students usually stay in Charlottesville to catch up on work or do most students go home, etc.?

I went up to the city my first fall break. If someone tells you that you'll be too busy to travel, they are probably some pussy gunner who spent all fall break with a hornbook up their ass so they could tell are their section-mates how far ahead they were in outlining.

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:55 am

Law Sauce wrote:
5ky wrote:

Hard.

Presumption is against you, even if you are married. http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+23-7.4

I'm married, and it was easy.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Thu May 24, 2012 9:39 am

alirod12 wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
5ky wrote:

Hard.

I'm married, and it was easy.

Good to hear, I am also married and hoping to do it. How did you end up doing it? Did you file for residency early on in 1L?

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Thu May 24, 2012 9:55 am

Law Sauce wrote:Good to hear, I am also married and hoping to do it. How did you end up doing it? Did you file for residency early on in 1L?

If it were with a porcupine I hope very carefully :wink:

Postby 005618502 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:22 pm

Do most students at UVA avoid private lenders for loans? I can get a killer rate (just below 4%) but I know this is risky. I wont be taking out full COA in loans but basically taking out an amount equivalent to full tuition..... SallieMae a bad idea? I wont be able to qualify for LRAP or IBR if I go this route, right?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”