UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sundance95

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sundance95 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:45 pm

catholicgirl wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:Morbid curiosity

What's the lowest LSAT score you've heard someone received and still was accepted to UVA?

I doubt anyone can answer your question. No one talks about their LSAT score once they are at the law school. To do so would be pretty douchey, and I haven't seen it at all. Once you are here, you're here.

Figured as much.

My school doesn't have any decent pre-law advising, so my history advisor asked me and a few other students to troll the internets to see if it was possible to anecdotally establish the lowest scores a school will accept. He mostly wants to stop the pre-law students with 145s from wasting an application fee to a school they can't get into.

(Yes that's common sense. But we are the special snowflake generation and my professor is hopeful that having even a few data points can dissuade people).

You're looking for lawschoolnumbers.com, or lawschoolpredictor.com.

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Wed May 09, 2012 1:49 pm

sundance95 wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:Morbid curiosity

What's the lowest LSAT score you've heard someone received and still was accepted to UVA?

I doubt anyone can answer your question. No one talks about their LSAT score once they are at the law school. To do so would be pretty douchey, and I haven't seen it at all. Once you are here, you're here.

Figured as much.

My school doesn't have any decent pre-law advising, so my history advisor asked me and a few other students to troll the internets to see if it was possible to anecdotally establish the lowest scores a school will accept. He mostly wants to stop the pre-law students with 145s from wasting an application fee to a school they can't get into.

(Yes that's common sense. But we are the special snowflake generation and my professor is hopeful that having even a few data points can dissuade people).

You're looking for lawschoolnumbers.com, or lawschoolpredictor.com.

Yeah, I gave him the links to those. Hopefully next year he can have a serious conversation with the actual pre-law advisor at my school about telling people with 3.0s and 150s that they can go Ivy League.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:52 pm

The best thing he could do is convince the University to not have a pre-law program or advisor. Pre-law advisors are notoriously ill-informed, and while I don't have the energy to go look it up, I'm pretty sure that there are studies out there that have shown that pre-law majors are among the worst performing majors in law school.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed May 09, 2012 1:55 pm

sundance95 wrote:I doubt anyone can answer your question. No one talks about their LSAT score once they are at the law school. To do so would be pretty douchey, and I haven't seen it at all. Once you are here, you're here.
This answer is factually correct, but for the benefit of those who've never ventured outside the field of law it should be noted that the rest of the world doesn't work this way. Of course it's douchey to brag about test scores, but in many other fields (business, medicine, banking, and consulting, just to name a few) standardized test scores are an important hiring metric. As such, they are discussed rather freely*, touted on resumes, etc. It's only in law school bizarro-world that the single most important piece of the admission application becomes Fight Club as soon as you pay your seat deposit.

*Apropos of OP's question, this is of course mostly true of high test scores. It is a general principle of humanity that people do not advertise their shortcomings, particularly as it relates to metrics that are often used as proxies for intelligence.

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Wed May 09, 2012 1:56 pm

sundance95 wrote:The best thing he could do is convince the University to not have a pre-law program or advisor. Pre-law advisors are notoriously ill-informed, and while I don't have the energy to go look it up, I'm pretty sure that there are studies out there that have shown that pre-law majors are among the worst performing majors in law school.

Yup. The pre-law advisor actually never went to law school. I think one of her sons did? So that makes her qualified.

She and I don't have a great relationship. She told someone to take a prep course with a company that doesn't even use actual LSAT questions and I took her to task for it. Swear to god, the only reason I even am going to be in Charlottesville after dealing with all her misinformation is because half of the history professors in my focus area have J.Ds in addition to doctorates.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Wed May 09, 2012 3:52 pm

bgdddymtty wrote: Of course it's douchey to brag about test scores, but in many other fields (business, medicine, banking, and consulting, just to name a few) standardized test scores are an important hiring metric. As such, they are discussed rather freely*, touted on resumes, etc. It's only in law school bizarro-world that the single most important piece of the admission application becomes Fight Club as soon as you pay your seat deposit.

Touted on resumes, really? What kind of LSAT score would be helpful for business, banking, consulting, etc.?

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Wed May 09, 2012 3:54 pm

Geneva wrote:Touted on resumes, really? What kind of LSAT score would be helpful for business, banking, consulting, etc.?

lol :roll:

pjo

Postby pjo » Wed May 09, 2012 9:45 pm

Geneva wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote: Of course it's douchey to brag about test scores, but in many other fields (business, medicine, banking, and consulting, just to name a few) standardized test scores are an important hiring metric. As such, they are discussed rather freely*, touted on resumes, etc. It's only in law school bizarro-world that the single most important piece of the admission application becomes Fight Club as soon as you pay your seat deposit.

Touted on resumes, really? What kind of LSAT score would be helpful for business, banking, consulting, etc.?

Goldman Sachs requests it (or GMAT score, but if you went to law school you probably should put your LSAT score). I would imagine other investment banks ask for the same info.

Seriously though, if you're planning on doing anything with law, your LSAT score is irrelevant. This is especially true considering what's considered a "good" LSAT score fluctuates every ten years or so (I think 90th percentile in 1995 was like a 162).

It's also pretty incredible how little you care about the USnews rankings once you're actually in school. I remember last year being so excited the whole week before the rankings were released and obsessing about it and stuff. This year I didn't realize the rankings were released until a few weeks afterward, and I was even less concerned about our recent rise to "7th". Your thinking about LSAT score and rankings just totally dissipates once you enter school (at least in my experience and talking about it with other 1Ls).

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu May 10, 2012 3:19 pm

My goodness, out property professor just emailed to say he's submitted our grades from Monday's exam into student records.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu May 10, 2012 3:36 pm

albanach wrote:My goodness, out property professor just emailed to say he's submitted our grades from Monday's exam into student records.

Lord Bennett, what sayest thou?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu May 10, 2012 3:58 pm

N00b 1L Q: Can any 2Ls/3Ls describe the flex exam process? Taking my first one tomorrow. Do I set up in a room and then go get my exam? Should I be worried about lines? Any tips welcome.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu May 10, 2012 4:03 pm

sundance95 wrote:N00b 1L Q: Can any 2Ls/3Ls describe the flex exam process? Taking my first one tomorrow. Do I set up in a room and then go get my exam? Should I be worried about lines? Any tips welcome.

Well, I'm a 1L but have taken a flex exam.

Yes, set up first. Get everything ready where you'll be working, your empty word doc up on screen etc.

You then take your ID and go get your exam. Judging by how quiet the library is, I wouldn't be too concerned about lines.

When you get your exam, you get a receipt with three times. First one is when to finish. Second is the ten minute admin window and final time is an extra ten minutes to get the paper back to the desk where you checked it out.

Time starts as soon as the paper's in your hand.
Last edited by albanach on Thu May 10, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu May 10, 2012 4:04 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
albanach wrote:My goodness, out property professor just emailed to say he's submitted our grades from Monday's exam into student records.

I'm going to guess that Lord Bennett says he has booked two weeks vacation (exam time is stressful for the admin) and we'll actually get our results sometime thereafter. Maybe.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu May 10, 2012 4:29 pm

Then there's the choice between a room far away (lose time on the exam walking, aka the rooms in Slaughter), and a closer room that will have people consistently coming and going. It can be kind of annoying. I recommend Slaughter. There ends up being very few people, much quieter and more relaxed. Can read the exam on your way if you'd like.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu May 10, 2012 4:40 pm

5ky wrote:Then there's the choice between a room far away (lose time on the exam walking, aka the rooms in Slaughter), and a closer room that will have people consistently coming and going. It can be kind of annoying. I recommend Slaughter. There ends up being very few people, much quieter and more relaxed. Can read the exam on your way if you'd like.
I've found WB 103 and 105 to be relatively unspoiled. I took an exam in one of them this morning (and I'll be there tomorrow morning too!), and there couldn't have been more than 15 people in the room.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu May 10, 2012 5:49 pm

Anyone here in Kordana's Corporations class? Mind sending me a copy of your notes on the practice exam he discussed the last day of class and on the partnership problem? Muchas gracias for hookin' a brutha up!

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu May 10, 2012 7:15 pm

albanach wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:

I'm going to guess that Lord Bennett says he has booked two weeks vacation (exam time is stressful for the admin) and we'll actually get our results sometime thereafter. Maybe.

I really am curious to find out how long it takes for you to get your grade. I've twice had a professor email and say he or she had sent in grades, and both times the grades were up by that night. But by all accounts it takes some amount of time once they are submitted until they go up, so something doesn't add up. Perhaps my professors meant the grades had been accepted and formalized by SRO.

bedefan

Postby bedefan » Fri May 11, 2012 11:24 am

Any thoughts on Tomiko Brown-Nagin's rep as a teacher? She's visiting at my law school next year and I'm thinking of taking one of her classes...

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Fri May 11, 2012 12:00 pm

bedefan wrote:Any thoughts on Tomiko Brown-Nagin's rep as a teacher? She's visiting at my law school next year and I'm thinking of taking one of her classes...

Don't take her. Extremely boring cold-calls, pretty biased (tries to play like she's not, but she doesn't fool anyone --- once she's found her liberal students in the class, she'll continue to call on them when she wants to avoid hearing from the conservatives).

I actually think she might be a good professor in a seminar, but for a Con Law 1L class, she was not helpful. That being said, to her credit she is known to give fair exams that aren't too crazy.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Fri May 11, 2012 12:57 pm

bedefan wrote:Any thoughts on Tomiko Brown-Nagin's rep as a teacher? She's visiting at my law school next year and I'm thinking of taking one of her classes...

I've heard numerous complaints about her grading.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Fri May 11, 2012 1:10 pm

When do we choose class for next year?

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Fri May 11, 2012 1:26 pm

Law Sauce wrote:When do we choose class for next year?

A non-Bennett member of SRO told me it would be early July for 3L's, and shortly thereafter for 2L's.

In other news, the dishes are done, man.

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Fri May 11, 2012 3:57 pm

desertlaw wrote:

Don't take her. Extremely boring cold-calls, pretty biased (tries to play like she's not, but she doesn't fool anyone --- once she's found her liberal students in the class, she'll continue to call on them when she wants to avoid hearing from the conservatives).

I actually think she might be a good professor in a seminar, but for a Con Law 1L class, she was not helpful. That being said, to her credit she is known to give fair exams that aren't too crazy.

I guess I'm biased because I'm liberal, but I didn't notice a bias. It didn't even cross my mind until my conservative friends in the class started complaining. If you're liberal or moderate I don't think her politics are going to be an issue for you at all. But the class was very boring.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Fri May 11, 2012 8:47 pm

berkeleykel06 wrote:
desertlaw wrote:

I guess I'm biased because I'm liberal, but I didn't notice a bias. It didn't even cross my mind until my conservative friends in the class started complaining. If you're liberal or moderate I don't think her politics are going to be an issue for you at all. But the class was very boring.

It wasn't so much bias as it was to continually avoid or try to steer around letting conservatives argue. Whenever she faced a tough issue, she had her all-star lefties ready to field the questions. She seems super nice and is obviously pretty smart. But in a big lecture setting, it just wasn't anything I'd sign up for again.

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Sat May 12, 2012 8:08 pm

desertlaw wrote:
berkeleykel06 wrote:
desertlaw wrote:

It wasn't so much bias as it was to continually avoid or try to steer around letting conservatives argue. Whenever she faced a tough issue, she had her all-star lefties ready to field the questions. She seems super nice and is obviously pretty smart. But in a big lecture setting, it just wasn't anything I'd sign up for again.

Stop sugar-coating it everyone...TBN blew and I spent all of Con Law bored to tears playing Catan online in the front row.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”