UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
YCrevolution

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby YCrevolution » Sun May 06, 2012 10:02 am

omg

Postby omg » Sun May 06, 2012 6:07 pm

Selling the following books: PM me if you're interested!

Federal Administrative Law, 5th ed., by Lawson (text)
ISBN 9780314199324
Used by Duffy this year, not sure about other admin profs
Lots of semi-neat highlighting (previous owner was not neat; I was)
$40

Federal Income Taxation, 15th ed., by Klein et al. (text)
ISBN 9780735578098
Used by Yale this year, not sure about other tax profs
Medium amount of neat highlighting
$20

Selected Federal Taxation Statutes and Regulation, 2012 ed., ed. by Lathrope (statutory supp.)
+ Income Tax Map
ISBN 9780314266828
Pretty sure this is good for all Fed Income Tax classes
Small amount of neat highlighting (basically just headlines of sections we learned)
$20

Federal Income Taxation, 11th ed., by Chirelstein (hornbook)
ISBN 9781599414034
Recommended by Yale, good for all Fed Income Tax classes
Small amount of neat highlighting
$10

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Sun May 06, 2012 8:29 pm

Any advice on 1L housing? Would prefer furnished if that's realistic so I don't have to move all my furniture.

Edit: I apologize that this has most likely already been asked

tryinrealhard

Postby tryinrealhard » Sun May 06, 2012 8:59 pm

Can anyone discuss the parking situation for people living a few miles off campus? Is it worth it to pay the extra money for a D3 permit compared to just the Blue Permit?
Last edited by tryinrealhard on Mon May 07, 2012 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sun May 06, 2012 9:00 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:Any advice on 1L housing? Would prefer furnished if that's realistic so I don't have to move all my furniture.

Not that I've researched this very much, but I've never even heard of furnished housing being available in Charlottesville.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sun May 06, 2012 9:01 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:Any advice on 1L housing? Would prefer furnished if that's realistic so I don't have to move all my furniture.

Not that I've researched this very much, but I've never even heard of furnished housing being available in Charlottesville.

Oh, it's definitely out there. At this stage in the game I'm not sure what's still available, though.

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:18 pm

The common areas of the Graduate Center apartments are furnished, and I think you can get the bedroom furnished as well if you pay extra.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Sun May 06, 2012 11:27 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:

Jeffersonian has furnished units but they're long gone now I'm sure.

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Mon May 07, 2012 10:47 am

tryinrealhard wrote:Can anyone discuss the parking situation for people living a few miles off campus? Is it worth it to pay the extra money for a D3 permit compared to just the Blue Permit?

It depends.

First of all, D3 permits are given out by lottery, with 3Ls and 2Ls getting priority. Then, if there are any extra spaces, they open it to 1Ls (which I know happened in 2010, but I don't know about 2011).

The difference in terms of location is not huge—the Blue lot means a walk up a kind of long flight of stairs, then a walk through the D3 parking lot. It adds about two minutes to your trip, if that. But if you are going to come and go a lot during the day, that might get old. The walk is kind of annoying, though, and I've noticed that most people who can get D3 choose to pay the extra $.

The bigger difference is in availability of spaces. The D3 lot is guaranteed parking (but note that the overflow D3 spaces are really in the blue lot, so you have the same walk if the lot is full, which it usually isn't). The blue lot is not guaranteed, but I've never heard of anyone not being able to park there.

pjo

Postby pjo » Mon May 07, 2012 2:20 pm

tryinrealhard wrote:Can anyone discuss the parking situation for people living a few miles off campus? Is it worth it to pay the extra money for a D3 permit compared to just the Blue Permit?

If they end up not having enough 1L permits you can still park on arlington if you get there early enough in the morning (usually before 9am on weekdays). Also, I know a few people who paid their friends without cars who live in Jeffersonian/Arlington Crt. Condos for their parking permit. (Which may be a closer walk to the school than the far lot).

Heat

Postby Heat » Mon May 07, 2012 3:12 pm

StanleyF wrote:

It depends.

First of all, D3 permits are given out by lottery, with 3Ls and 2Ls getting priority. Then, if there are any extra spaces, they open it to 1Ls (which I know happened in 2010, but I don't know about 2011).

The difference in terms of location is not huge—the Blue lot means a walk up a kind of long flight of stairs, then a walk through the D3 parking lot. It adds about two minutes to your trip, if that. But if you are going to come and go a lot during the day, that might get old. The walk is kind of annoying, though, and I've noticed that most people who can get D3 choose to pay the extra $.

The bigger difference is in availability of spaces. The D3 lot is guaranteed parking (but note that the overflow D3 spaces are really in the blue lot, so you have the same walk if the lot is full, which it usually isn't). The blue lot is not guaranteed, but I've never heard of anyone not being able to park there.

As far as I know there were not enough spots to offer to 1L this year. At least as a 1L we never got the email I was told to look out for.

I'd also add that there were multiple times over the past few semesters that I or others I know did not get spots in the lower lot. Certain times of day are worse then others. The worst time is when the JAG school has events and take up all the spots. The blue permit is pretty much a general permit that works on multiple UVA lots so sometimes sports players take over the lot, etc.

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon May 07, 2012 5:15 pm

Heat wrote:As far as I know there were not enough spots to offer to 1L this year. At least as a 1L we never got the email I was told to look out for.

I'd also add that there were multiple times over the past few semesters that I or others I know did not get spots in the lower lot. Certain times of day are worse then others. The worst time is when the JAG school has events and take up all the spots. The blue permit is pretty much a general permit that works on multiple UVA lots so sometimes sports players take over the lot, etc.

1L permits were available this year. I have some classmates who got them.

The need for a permit depends very much on how you think you'll attend school. Arlington has been mentioned as a free option, though I think you need to bank on being there by 8am to get a free all day spot (facing downhill). If you're just too late you'll still get a good spot on Milmont and only add an extra three or four minutes to your walk.

If you get a blue permit and are in early you'll get a spot that's not for from the bottom of the D3 lot, and simply be walking an extra few minutes each day.

If you're less organized, turn up at school two minutes before your class starts in Slaughter then a D3 permit can be valuable. Even if you're forced into the lower lot, there will be a spot. Unless you have kids, you'll need to wait until the lottery is over and then pester parking directly.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Mon May 07, 2012 5:26 pm

albanach wrote:
Heat wrote:As far as I know there were not enough spots to offer to 1L this year. At least as a 1L we never got the email I was told to look out for.

1L permits were available this year. I have some classmates who got them.

The need for a permit depends very much on how you think you'll attend school. Arlington has been mentioned as a free option, though I think you need to bank on being there by 8am to get a free all day spot (facing downhill). If you're just too late you'll still get a good spot on Milmont and only add an extra three or four minutes to your walk.

If you get a blue permit and are in early you'll get a spot that's not for from the bottom of the D3 lot, and simply be walking an extra few minutes each day.

If you're less organized, turn up at school two minutes before your class starts in Slaughter then a D3 permit can be valuable. Even if you're forced into the lower lot, there will be a spot. Unless you have kids, you'll need to wait until the lottery is over and then pester parking directly.

I tried to get a D3 but 1L permits in D3 were only available this year to 1Ls who had a kid or lived over thirty minutes away (I think it was 30), unless I just talked to the wrong people. Milmont is kind of far (not great option, but you will get parking) and you can park on either side of Arlington actually, just not on the uphill down past the Jeffersonian.

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon May 07, 2012 5:58 pm

Law Sauce wrote:
I tried to get a D3 but 1L permits in D3 were only available this year to 1Ls who had a kid or lived over thirty minutes away (I think it was 30), unless I just talked to the wrong people. Milmont is kind of far (not great option, but you will get parking) and you can park on either side of Arlington actually, just not on the uphill down past the Jeffersonian.

Isn't uphill on Arlington 2 hour maximum? Great if you're running for a class, but not so much if you're at school for the day.

I'm pretty sure I have classmates who got spots who are closer than 30 minutes, but they may just have picked up the last one or two once all was said and done.

Heat

Postby Heat » Mon May 07, 2012 7:15 pm

I should correct my earlier statement. Your right that they were available but they had conditions attached. Such as certain distances or having children or something like that.

Excellent117

Postby Excellent117 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:45 am

I'm visiting Charlottesville this weekend with my SO, is there anything/anywhere in particular that I should show her that will get her more excited about moving to the area?

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed May 09, 2012 1:13 am

Excellent117 wrote:I'm visiting Charlottesville this weekend with my SO, is there anything/anywhere in particular that I should show her that will get her more excited about moving to the area?

Definitely take her to the downtown mall: Blue Whale Books and the New Dominion Bookshop, Splendora's (best gelato ever), Positively 4th Street (drinks, food, etc). You should see the University's main grounds, especially the Rotunda (even though presumably you won't be spending much time there). Take her hiking if she likes nature, Blue Mountain Brewery if she doesn't. Also, Dar Williams is playing here on Saturday night, if your lady is into that kind of thing.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed May 09, 2012 1:14 am

They tell me very nice things about the orchards and wineries, though I have not yet been.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed May 09, 2012 10:47 am

What sort of return can you expect from The Bookshop when selling back textbooks (assuming there's no new edition)?

Are you likely to get a better return selling via Amazon in their new/used section?

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed May 09, 2012 11:22 am

albanach wrote:What sort of return can you expect from The Bookshop when selling back textbooks (assuming there's no new edition)?

Are you likely to get a better return selling via Amazon in their new/used section?

I got 20 bucks for a textbook yesterday and the dude said it was gettin' old (the edition that is). I think the most I've ever received is like 30. I got 5 bucks for a book once. That subsidized a burrito.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed May 09, 2012 11:58 am

Doritos wrote:
albanach wrote:What sort of return can you expect from The Bookshop when selling back textbooks (assuming there's no new edition)?

I got 20 bucks for a textbook yesterday and the dude said it was gettin' old (the edition that is). I think the most I've ever received is like 30. I got 5 bucks for a book once. That subsidized a burrito.

Thanks. Amazon it is.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed May 09, 2012 12:10 pm

Excellent117 wrote:I'm visiting Charlottesville this weekend with my SO, is there anything/anywhere in particular that I should show her that will get her more excited about moving to the area?

If you're in town on Friday evening, there's Fridays after Five at the far end of the downtown mall. It's a free concert held every Friday from spring through fall.

--LinkRemoved--

On Saturday morning there's the farmers' market which is also worth taking a look at.

http://www.charlottesvillecitymarket.com/

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Wed May 09, 2012 1:09 pm

Morbid curiosity

What's the lowest LSAT score you've heard someone received and still was accepted to UVA?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:36 pm

catholicgirl wrote:Morbid curiosity

What's the lowest LSAT score you've heard someone received and still was accepted to UVA?

I doubt anyone can answer your question. No one talks about their LSAT score once they are at the law school. To do so would be pretty douchey, and I haven't seen it at all. Once you are here, you're here.

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Wed May 09, 2012 1:44 pm

sundance95 wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:Morbid curiosity

I doubt anyone can answer your question. No one talks about their LSAT score once they are at the law school. To do so would be pretty douchey, and I haven't seen it at all. Once you are here, you're here.

Figured as much.

My school doesn't have any decent pre-law advising, so my history advisor asked me and a few other students to troll the internets to see if it was possible to anecdotally establish the lowest scores a school will accept. He mostly wants to stop the pre-law students with 145s from wasting an application fee to a school they can't get into. They will look at the US News and World Report and see that they're not close to the 25 percentile LSAT, but assume that they will be among the very few people who have a low score who can get in.
Last edited by catholicgirl on Wed May 09, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”