UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:35 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Why in god's name do exams stretch out over 12 days. Could a few of you post your exam schedule from this past semester? You only take 4, right? Hopefully they are at least spread out.
They were carefully spaced so that 1Ls would have 3 days break between each exam. Exam schedule was Monday/Thursday/Monday/Thursday. It was actually pretty nice, at least as nice as a two-week finals period can be.

Once you're past 1L classes you set your own schedule. Check out an exam and start the 3-hour clock on it, you just have to have your answer submitted online in time. You can basically take your exams any time you want in that two-week period.

buckley

New

Post by buckley » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:40 pm

This is actually a pre-law question. Do you recommend reading horn books before law school?

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:51 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Why in god's name do exams stretch out over 12 days. Could a few of you post your exam schedule from this past semester? You only take 4, right? Hopefully they are at least spread out.
They were carefully spaced so that 1Ls would have 3 days break between each exam. Exam schedule was Monday/Thursday/Monday/Thursday. It was actually pretty nice, at least as nice as a two-week finals period can be.

Once you're past 1L classes you set your own schedule. Check out an exam and start the 3-hour clock on it, you just have to have your answer submitted online in time. You can basically take your exams any time you want in that two-week period.
You can do them from anywhere in the world for Yale exams. Is the same thing true with UVA? Is it all electronic? How do they stop cheating? I've heard you guys have a pretty strict honor code.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:51 pm

buckley wrote:This is actually a pre-law question. Do you recommend reading horn books before law school?
I don't, but some people here disagree. There are lots of threads on this.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:56 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:You can do them from anywhere in the world for Yale exams. Is the same thing true with UVA? Is it all electronic? How do they stop cheating? I've heard you guys have a pretty strict honor code.
It's all electronic. For 1L exams, you all gather in a classroom together and the prof hands out the exams to everyone; for all electives, you go to a table and check the exam out from a proctor who is online and starts the timer on you.

You type up your exam in MS Word and then upload it onto the UVA website when you're finished. It'll alert the professor if you submit it late, but otherwise there's nothing at all that checks up on you, it's all Honor Code. You can take the exam anywhere in the law school you want, but you have to return the exam question you checked out after you submitted your answer, so while I guess you could waste valuable time leaving the law school it's not worth it since you have to come right back anyway. You can, however, go take it in any open classroom or quiet space you want. During finals, there's like a dozen open classrooms that are designated as quiet rooms for exam-taking purposes only.

The "Honor Code" is strict, you'd probably be ejected immediately if caught breaching it, but it's also incredibly open in that it gives you freedom to do just about anything without anyone looking over your shoulder. You're being trusted to not cheat, and that's all there is to it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:00 am

vanwinkle wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:You can do them from anywhere in the world for Yale exams. Is the same thing true with UVA? Is it all electronic? How do they stop cheating? I've heard you guys have a pretty strict honor code.
It's all electronic. For 1L exams, you all gather in a classroom together and the prof hands out the exams to everyone; for all electives, you go to a table and check the exam out from a proctor who is online and starts the timer on you.

You type up your exam in MS Word and then upload it onto the UVA website when you're finished. It'll alert the professor if you submit it late, but otherwise there's nothing at all that checks up on you, it's all Honor Code. You can take the exam anywhere in the law school you want, but you have to return the exam question you checked out after you submitted your answer, so while I guess you could waste valuable time leaving the law school it's not worth it since you have to come right back anyway. You can, however, go take it in any open classroom or quiet space you want. During finals, there's like a dozen open classrooms that are designated as quiet rooms for exam-taking purposes only.

The "Honor Code" is strict, you'd probably be ejected immediately if caught breaching it, but it's also incredibly open in that it gives you freedom to do just about anything without anyone looking over your shoulder. You're being trusted to not cheat, and that's all there is to it.
I'm not very big on academic dishonesty but since grades are curved I was wondering if there was anything to stop people from typing up exams together and discussing issues so they were sure that neither of them missed any issues.

Obviously there have to be multiple different exams though. Bc if a 2L took an exam on Wednesday and someone else in the class took it the following Monday. Couldn't he know the exam question and have prepared to it specifically already.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:08 am

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:10 am

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:10 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:Obviously there have to be multiple different exams though. Bc if a 2L took an exam on Wednesday and someone else in the class took it the following Monday. Couldn't he know the exam question and have prepared to it specifically already.
Sure, if both of them broke the Honor Code and the terms of the exam by discussing its contents. There's only one exam available per class, nobody talks about it because they believe in the Honor Code (or because they don't want to get caught, but either way it's something that doesn't happen).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:10 am

thesealocust wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:I find your lack of ethics disturbing.
Has he failed you for the last time?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:13 am

YCrevolution wrote:I find your lack of ethics disturbing.
I never cheated in college and don't plan to in law school. However, these are valid concerns since we're graded on a curve.

Relax, bro.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:16 am

If I throw like a girl, am I going to be a social outcast or can I still pretend like I can play softball?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:19 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:23 am

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:34 am

I'm a guy :(

edit: or can guys not throw in the co-ed league either?

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:40 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:I'm a guy :(

edit: or can guys not throw in the co-ed league either?
:?

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:51 am

I'm from the west coast, grew up playing soccer and tennis not baseball!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dgouzoul

Bronze

Post by dgouzoul » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:01 am

i plan on intentionally letting pop flys hit the ground in center field so i can show off my cannon

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:04 pm

How many people are in each of the fall 1L classes? Or is it dependent on what section you're in?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:31 pm

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:52 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
5ky wrote:How many people are in each of the fall 1L classes? Or is it dependent on what section you're in?
You'll usually have one class with two other sections, two classes with two other sections, and one class (along with LRW) with just your own section. Each section has ~30 people.
My section must've gotten the short straw. First semester we had one small section but our other three classes all had three sections in them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:54 pm

I had two classes with one other section and one class with two other sections. Yay?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:53 pm

napolnic wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
5ky wrote:How many people are in each of the fall 1L classes? Or is it dependent on what section you're in?
You'll usually have one class with two other sections, two classes with two other sections, and one class (along with LRW) with just your own section. Each section has ~30 people.
My section must've gotten the short straw. First semester we had one small section but our other three classes all had three sections in them.
+1

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:36 pm

How expensive is it to live in Charlottesville, not including rent?

Sample budget per month:
Utilities?
Groceries?
Going out to eat (by this I mean grabbing breakfast/lunch on campus when you forgot to bring something)?
Entertainment (clubs/bars, restaurants, etc.)?
Miscellaneous?

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:41 pm

all i know is that drinks will be mad cheap compared to NYC. I am at a net loss of 2 grand in 5 months because I have a drinking / partying problem.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”