UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
envisciguy

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby envisciguy » Wed May 02, 2012 6:11 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:Average July high of 88 is unbearable? Where are you all from?

Its not the temperature thats the issue. I just don't see sweating buckets on your way to class as much of an upgrade from freezing on the way to class. And I was there in march and the humidity plus heat was terrible

It's all relative. I've lived in the South all my life and I'm expecting the weather at UVA to be pretty pleasant, since it'll actually be cooler and less humid. I also considered Cornell, but I've only seen snow once in my life and didn't think I was ready for the frozen tundra.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed May 02, 2012 6:12 pm

alirod12 wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:O.k., I was just accepted to UVA and Cornell this week. I realize these two schools are extremely different environments. I would be attending either one at sticker I believe. I am interested in doing tax law big law in either Texas or NYC. UVA seems like a no brainer on the basis of better tax program, more business oriented classes, higher ranking, probably better able to place in Texas, etc. Also more fun to go to I suspect. I'm just wondering if y'all considered Cornell and how you think UVA worked out in comparison and if you think I'm missing a big issue

Don't go anywhere at sticker (unless of course you have parents who will foot the bill). Are you on fucking crizzly-crack?

Disagree.

Postby 005618502 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:20 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:Average July high of 88 is unbearable? Where are you all from?

Its not the temperature thats the issue. I just don't see sweating buckets on your way to class as much of an upgrade from freezing on the way to class. And I was there in march and the humidity plus heat was terrible

You mean ASW? I was there to and it was absolutely perfect. And thats coming from someone who spent 18 years in SoCal living 15 mins from the beach. You are outta your mind. Seems like you are almost trying to hate on UVA, even when you dont have real reasons to

chem

Postby chem » Wed May 02, 2012 6:22 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:

You mean ASW? I was there to and it was absolutely perfect. And thats coming from someone who spent 18 years in SoCal living 15 mins from the beach. You are outta your mind. Seems like you are almost trying to hate on UVA, even when you dont have real reasons to

Yeah, ASW I was wearing long shirt and long pants and was comfortable. Granted, where I live now the summers have 50 day stretches of 110+ weather along with humidity

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed May 02, 2012 6:23 pm

Br3v wrote:
alirod12 wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:O.k., I was just accepted to UVA and Cornell this week. I realize these two schools are extremely different environments. I would be attending either one at sticker I believe. I am interested in doing tax law big law in either Texas or NYC. UVA seems like a no brainer on the basis of better tax program, more business oriented classes, higher ranking, probably better able to place in Texas, etc. Also more fun to go to I suspect. I'm just wondering if y'all considered Cornell and how you think UVA worked out in comparison and if you think I'm missing a big issue

Don't go anywhere at sticker (unless of course you have parents who will foot the bill). Are you on fucking crizzly-crack?

Disagree.

As do something close to 40% of the class at UVA. As long as you're not stupid, there's things like income based repayments or marrying a classmate that's higher up the curve.

Postby 005618502 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:25 pm

albanach wrote:
Br3v wrote:
alirod12 wrote:

Disagree.

As do something close to 40% of the class at UVA. As long as you're not stupid, there's things like income based repayments or marrying a classmate that's higher up the curve.

Yeah I think the statistic is that 48% of the class pays full ride. I think T14 at sticker you will be fine. Many disagree with me, but w/e

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed May 02, 2012 6:26 pm

I am not hating on uva and could very well be your classmate in august. People tolerate humidity differently. Dont know how if youre from socal you cant see the difference. Just one of those things that's making me reluctant to deposit. To each his own I guess

No need to be defensive lets not behave like the Michigan 2015 admits LOL we are all much cooler than them :)

chem

Postby chem » Wed May 02, 2012 6:27 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:I am not hating on uva and could very well be your classmate in august. People tolerate humidity differently. Dont know how if youre from socal you cant see the difference. Just one of those things that's making me reluctant to deposit. To each his own I guess

No need to be defensive lets not behave like the Michigan 2015 admits LOL we are all much cooler than them :)

Are they acting up?

Postby 005618502 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:30 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:I am not hating on uva and could very well be your classmate in august. People tolerate humidity differently. Dont know how if youre from socal you cant see the difference. Just one of those things that's making me reluctant to deposit. To each his own I guess

Went to UG in Texas and played sports though UG, humidity aint got nothiiiins on me :lol:

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed May 02, 2012 6:34 pm

albanach wrote:
Br3v wrote:
alirod12 wrote:

Disagree.

I hope this doesn't make me sound like a hater again because I love uva but 60% of Seton hall students are paying sticker does that make it a good idea? And sticker debt (267k at grad for uva) is going lead to a ginormous tax hit at the end of the 25 years if you do ibr

Not saying sticker is a bad idea just gotta be wary and try to save as much as possible

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed May 02, 2012 6:34 pm

Br3v wrote:
alirod12 wrote:

Disagree.

You'll most likely be fine. But, don't let the fact that loan repayment isn't staring you in the face fool you. When you graduate and those loans start coming due in November, I don't care what you are doing. The fact that you owe 150K+ hits home and you realize that you've essentially mortgaged your soul and if you get canned/laid off w/in the next 4-5 years you are very screwed.

That said, MODELS AND BOTTLES FOR EVERYONE.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed May 02, 2012 6:39 pm

chem wrote:

Are they acting up?

Was referencing this classic thread in case you haven't seen it

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=182072

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Wed May 02, 2012 6:39 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
Br3v wrote:
alirod12 wrote:

Disagree.

You'll most likely be fine. But, don't let the fact that loan repayment isn't staring you in the face fool you. When you graduate and those loans start coming due in November, I don't care what you are doing. The fact that you owe 150K+ hits home and you realize that you've essentially mortgaged your soul and if you get canned/laid off w/in the next 4-5 years you are very screwed.

That said, MODELS AND BOTTLES FOR EVERYONE.

My next best option is GW with a $16,000 a year scholarship haha. I have no work lined up for next year. These are my best options. I would prefer not to take out the loans, of course, but it is what it is.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed May 02, 2012 6:41 pm

267K? Get your facts right champ. http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospe ... uition.htm

Unless you have undergrad debt, nobody is coming close to that here.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed May 02, 2012 6:42 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:267K? Get your facts right champ. http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospe ... uition.htm

Including tuition hikes and interest accrued

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed May 02, 2012 6:47 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:Honestly the heat and humidity in Virginia makes the weather there unbearable
Just my opinion

Charlottesville's tucked away in the blue ridge mountains. It's not on the DC level of heat and humidity.

There used to be a historical data page on weather.com that showed you trending averages. Can't find it now, but I'm from the northeast, and C'ville's about 4 degrees warmer, on average. It's at a plenty tolerable temperature range.

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:58 pm

Br3v wrote:
alirod12 wrote:

Disagree.

Cool story bro.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed May 02, 2012 6:58 pm

ITT: 0Ls who haven't faced the realities of massive debt and the job market talk about how 200K in aftertax salary is not a lot to pay back on loans.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed May 02, 2012 7:00 pm

I think all this debt talk ignores the fact that we are now a T7 law school. Graduating from here means steady six figure income until we die, bros.

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:04 pm

albanach wrote:
Br3v wrote:
alirod12 wrote:

Disagree.

Yeah, 0Ls are always bastions of great judgment. Over 40% of our population is obese, that doesn't mean it's a good idea for the rest of us to start shoving Big Macs down our gullets.

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Wed May 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Your realism is not appreciated. I am a special snowflake and am not subject to the same concerns as you unspecials.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed May 02, 2012 7:05 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:267K? Get your facts right champ. http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospe ... uition.htm

Including tuition hikes and interest accrued

Still not gonna get you anywhere near that close.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Wed May 02, 2012 7:07 pm

lol you aren't getting to 267k. Period. That being said its irrelevant, because sticker puts you in an uncomfortable place.

TWIST: UVA isn't a TTT and has an LRAP program thats actually decent.

SECONDARY TWIST: UVA also has reasonably good job prospects to avenues that can pay off sticker.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed May 02, 2012 7:09 pm

It'll probably get up there with a decently long repayment plan. I haven't mapped mine out yet. I enjoy sanity.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed May 02, 2012 7:10 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
albanach wrote:As do something close to 40% of the class at UVA. As long as you're not stupid, there's things like income based repayments or marrying a classmate that's higher up the curve.

I hope this doesn't make me sound like a hater again because I love uva but 60% of Seton hall students are paying sticker does that make it a good idea? And sticker debt (267k at grad for uva) is going lead to a ginormous tax hit at the end of the 25 years if you do ibr

Not saying sticker is a bad idea just gotta be wary and try to save as much as possible

You're comparing apples and turnips. The difference is that most UVA admits would have had many many options lower down the rankings and turned them down in favor of UVA at sticker.

As for the tax bill, at least it should be dischargeable.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”