UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 005618502 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:49 am

thesealocust wrote:Alive! That was an interesting way to spend a Monday for sure.

I am done with law school.


I speak for all future 1Ls when I say we are sad you are leaving. But congrats!

I really hope all you UVAers stick around here even once you graduate

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby chem » Tue May 01, 2012 2:59 pm

Random question to help me procrastinate:

Brewing beer is a hobby of mine. Are there any stores that sell ingredients/materials? Or is it all going to be online shopping for me

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue May 01, 2012 8:14 pm

crossing closed book closed constitution con law exam off the bucket list

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby desertlaw » Tue May 01, 2012 8:16 pm

chem wrote:Random question to help me procrastinate:

Brewing beer is a hobby of mine. Are there any stores that sell ingredients/materials? Or is it all going to be online shopping for me


I shop at Whole Foods and they seem to have a kit with materials/ingredients.

Morgan12Oak
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:59 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Morgan12Oak » Wed May 02, 2012 12:50 pm

How funny was that e-mail this morning re: study rooms. Are people really that sad that they leave their shoes in the study rooms? Not to mention thats absolutely disgusting.

Do people really need/want to study together that badly that they leave all their crap in the study rooms AFTER an e-mail already came out telling people not to?

Anyone care to explain because this is just lol.

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby desertlaw » Wed May 02, 2012 12:54 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:How funny was that e-mail this morning re: study rooms. Are people really that sad that they leave their shoes in the study rooms? Not to mention thats absolutely disgusting.

Do people really need/want to study together that badly that they leave all their crap in the study rooms AFTER an e-mail already came out telling people not to?

Anyone care to explain because this is just lol.


I agree but I also don't see the need to complain to Ballenger about it. Both sides could find somewhere else to study.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19668
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby dailygrind » Wed May 02, 2012 12:57 pm

Gonna be honest, I usually delete most emails from MB without reading. Went back to read this one for the lulz. Was not disappoint. The choice in shoes was...interesting.

Morgan12Oak
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:59 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Morgan12Oak » Wed May 02, 2012 12:58 pm

Yeah, I never study in those rooms but I'm just saying you get an e-mail about it, and then you keep doing it, really? Not to mention it just seems so gross now. They need to like fumigate that shit now.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Wed May 02, 2012 1:29 pm

The glass walled study rooms in slaughter are the most precious natural resource in Charlottesville. Many Bothans have died in struggles over their control.

User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Wed May 02, 2012 2:00 pm

pretty sure i saw some 3Ls studying in the SullCrom glass palace yesterday afternoon, but i'm not going to name names

User avatar
unlicensedpotato
Posts: 415
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby unlicensedpotato » Wed May 02, 2012 3:07 pm

O.k., I was just accepted to UVA and Cornell this week. I realize these two schools are extremely different environments. I would be attending either one at sticker I believe. I am interested in doing tax law big law in either Texas or NYC. UVA seems like a no brainer on the basis of better tax program, more business oriented classes, higher ranking, probably better able to place in Texas, etc. Also more fun to go to I suspect. I'm just wondering if y'all considered Cornell and how you think UVA worked out in comparison and if you think I'm missing a big issue

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed May 02, 2012 3:22 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:O.k., I was just accepted to UVA and Cornell this week. I realize these two schools are extremely different environments. I would be attending either one at sticker I believe. I am interested in doing tax law big law in either Texas or NYC. UVA seems like a no brainer on the basis of better tax program, more business oriented classes, higher ranking, probably better able to place in Texas, etc. Also more fun to go to I suspect. I'm just wondering if y'all considered Cornell and how you think UVA worked out in comparison and if you think I'm missing a big issue

I visited both during their respective asws. Here are my thoughts about your comments.

- I am not convinced UVA is more fun than Cornell. They are both so similar in environment that its bizarre to me Cornell gets dumped on as a miserable place while uva is reputed as awesome. Granted I visited Cornell when the weather was nice but I don't think youll have less fun there. What ultimately makes Cornell more dull is its location in the middle of nowhere, not the weather but you can say the same about Charlottesville.

- specialty programs and rankings don't matter for placement at this level. I suggest you visit both and figure out where you'll be happiest. Cornell might have a slight edge for NYC but I think uva places better for clerk ships.

Good luck

Heat
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Heat » Wed May 02, 2012 3:29 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:O.k., I was just accepted to UVA and Cornell this week. I realize these two schools are extremely different environments. I would be attending either one at sticker I believe. I am interested in doing tax law big law in either Texas or NYC. UVA seems like a no brainer on the basis of better tax program, more business oriented classes, higher ranking, probably better able to place in Texas, etc. Also more fun to go to I suspect. I'm just wondering if y'all considered Cornell and how you think UVA worked out in comparison and if you think I'm missing a big issue

I visited both during their respective asws. Here are my thoughts about your comments.

- I am not convinced UVA is more fun than Cornell. They are both so similar in environment that its bizarre to me Cornell gets dumped on as a miserable place while uva is reputed as awesome. Granted I visited Cornell when the weather was nice but I don't think youll have less fun there. What ultimately makes Cornell more dull is its location in the middle of nowhere, not the weather but you can say the same about Charlottesville.

- specialty programs and rankings don't matter for placement at this level. I suggest you visit both and figure out where you'll be happiest. Cornell might have a slight edge for NYC but I think uva places better for clerk ships.

Good luck


As someone who went to undergrad relatively close to Cornell, the climate difference should not be underestimated to many, many, people. If your from Texas (or even if your not) you should be sure that your going to like upstate New York's climate if weather factors into your happiness at all. As far as placing better in either state I will withhold my comment for the knowledgeable people on actually useful subjects.
Last edited by Heat on Wed May 02, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed May 02, 2012 3:31 pm

Heat wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:O.k., I was just accepted to UVA and Cornell this week. I realize these two schools are extremely different environments. I would be attending either one at sticker I believe. I am interested in doing tax law big law in either Texas or NYC. UVA seems like a no brainer on the basis of better tax program, more business oriented classes, higher ranking, probably better able to place in Texas, etc. Also more fun to go to I suspect. I'm just wondering if y'all considered Cornell and how you think UVA worked out in comparison and if you think I'm missing a big issue

I visited both during their respective asws. Here are my thoughts about your comments.

- I am not convinced UVA is more fun than Cornell. They are both so similar in environment that its bizarre to me Cornell gets dumped on as a miserable place while uva is reputed as awesome. Granted I visited Cornell when the weather was nice but I don't think youll have less fun there. What ultimately makes Cornell more dull is its location in the middle of nowhere, not the weather but you can say the same about Charlottesville.

- specialty programs and rankings don't matter for placement at this level. I suggest you visit both and figure out where you'll be happiest. Cornell might have a slight edge for NYC but I think uva places better for clerk ships.

Good luck


As someone who went to undergrad relatively close to Cornell, the climate difference should not be underestimated to many, many, people. If your from Texas you should be sure that your going to like upstate New York's climate if whether factors into your happiness at all. As far as placing better in either state I will withhold my comment for the knowledgeable people on actually useful subjects.

Honestly the heat and humidity in Virginia makes the weather there unbearable
Just my opinion

Heat
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Heat » Wed May 02, 2012 3:35 pm

Honestly the heat and humidity in Virginia makes the weather there unbearable
Just my opinion


Totally valid opinion. They are both completely different climates.

Weather isn't really a factor for me either way but my significant other would have killed me if I considered staying in upstate New York for law school because the weather depressed her so much. To each his own.

Point is, know what you're getting into. Weather probably shouldn't be a huge factor to many people but to some its a huge one. (Whether looking at Virginia's or NY's)

P.S. I can't type today, I'm editing out the wah-zoo.

User avatar
unlicensedpotato
Posts: 415
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby unlicensedpotato » Wed May 02, 2012 3:38 pm

Thanks for the responses y'all! Good information to consider. Also, i realize that rankings fluctuate each year but I feel more comfortable with UVA because it seems to be moving up, if even a little, whereas Cornell has dropped to 14. Any truth in this?

In terms of the weather, I have been in Austin for four years, which delightfully includes both Dallas level heat and Houston level humidity. However, I grew up and went to high school in Kansas City which gets surprisingly cold in the winter and am used to skiing in Colorado, visiting Chicago, etc. so I think I could be comfortable in either place.

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed May 02, 2012 3:43 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:Thanks for the responses y'all! Good information to consider. Also, i realize that rankings fluctuate each year but I feel more comfortable with UVA because it seems to be moving up, if even a little, whereas Cornell has dropped to 14. Any truth in this?

In terms of the weather, I have been in Austin for four years, which delightfully includes both Dallas level heat and Houston level humidity. However, I grew up and went to high school in Kansas City which gets surprisingly cold in the winter and am used to skiing in Colorado, visiting Chicago, etc. so I think I could be comfortable in either place.

Peer schools are peer. Ranking fluctuations don't matter
Go with where you're most comfortable.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sundance95 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:27 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:Honestly the heat and humidity in Virginia makes the weather there unbearable
Just my opinion

True, but because of the academic calendar you only catch the tail end of summer. The same is not true of winter.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 005618502 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:28 pm

thesealocust wrote:The glass walled study rooms in slaughter are the most precious natural resource in Charlottesville. Many Bothans have died in struggles over their control.


Is studying in groups really that beneficial in LS? I never studied in groups in UG (tried a couple times and just talked about weekend/sports). I also cant stand studying in the library so if I can study at home, alone, that would be ideal lol unless groups help a lot.

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby desertlaw » Wed May 02, 2012 4:38 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
thesealocust wrote:The glass walled study rooms in slaughter are the most precious natural resource in Charlottesville. Many Bothans have died in struggles over their control.


Is studying in groups really that beneficial in LS? I never studied in groups in UG (tried a couple times and just talked about weekend/sports). I also cant stand studying in the library so if I can study at home, alone, that would be ideal lol unless groups help a lot.


Depends on the person. I think going over practice exams is a really good way to prepare for exams. Going over outlines together - not as much. But that's just me. It seems like a lot of the group studying in those glass rooms is just "making sure I sit near people and feel motivated because they are working so hard."

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Wed May 02, 2012 4:46 pm

sundance95 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:Honestly the heat and humidity in Virginia makes the weather there unbearable
Just my opinion

True, but because of the academic calendar you only catch the tail end of summer. The same is not true of winter.


Is it also true that at Harvard they get together and write new Bluebook rules on Thursday afternoons when it's 50 degrees outside while in Virginia it's in the 70s and we're enjoying the courtyard keg?

User avatar
Gecko of Doom
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Gecko of Doom » Wed May 02, 2012 4:59 pm

Average July high of 88 is unbearable? Where are you all from?

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed May 02, 2012 5:30 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:O.k., I was just accepted to UVA and Cornell this week. I realize these two schools are extremely different environments. I would be attending either one at sticker I believe. I am interested in doing tax law big law in either Texas or NYC. UVA seems like a no brainer on the basis of better tax program, more business oriented classes, higher ranking, probably better able to place in Texas, etc. Also more fun to go to I suspect. I'm just wondering if y'all considered Cornell and how you think UVA worked out in comparison and if you think I'm missing a big issue


If $$$ at Cornell and you want NYC, go to Cornell and hate yourself. If even price wise, come to UVa, especially if you are interested in BigTexasLaw, people here clean up in Texas. If

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed May 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:Average July high of 88 is unbearable? Where are you all from?

Its not the temperature thats the issue. I just don't see sweating buckets on your way to class as much of an upgrade from freezing on the way to class. And I was there in march and the humidity plus heat was terrible

User avatar
alirod12
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:47 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby alirod12 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:10 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:O.k., I was just accepted to UVA and Cornell this week. I realize these two schools are extremely different environments. I would be attending either one at sticker I believe. I am interested in doing tax law big law in either Texas or NYC. UVA seems like a no brainer on the basis of better tax program, more business oriented classes, higher ranking, probably better able to place in Texas, etc. Also more fun to go to I suspect. I'm just wondering if y'all considered Cornell and how you think UVA worked out in comparison and if you think I'm missing a big issue


Don't go anywhere at sticker (unless of course you have parents who will foot the bill). Are you on fucking crizzly-crack?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests