UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 005618502 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:53 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Living alone would blow.

Married people ftw. 8)

That could be considered living with a roomate, just less private space lol
I will be living with my gf and we are renting a 2 bedroom somewhere for the extra space/to have a study area. I think its a great idea and worth the small extra cost

chem

Postby chem » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:59 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:

Married people ftw. 8)

I will be living with my gf and we are renting a 2 bedroom somewhere for the extra space/to have a study area. I think its a great idea and worth the small extra cost

I agree, except I went for the three bedroom ftw. Whats your gf going to do in charlottesville?

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:17 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:

Married people ftw. 8)

Oh yeah, extra space eh?? WELL FUCK YOU! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:30 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:

Married people ftw. 8)

Wow, I kinda feel bad for your gf. :/

Unless, of course, your roommate experiences have been much more positive than mine and those of most other people I know.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:30 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:

Married people ftw. 8)

Wow, I kinda feel bad for your gf. :/

Unless, of course, your roommate experiences have been much more positive than mine and those of most other people I know.

Nothing to feel sorry for. I had amazing experiences living with roomates and an awesome exp this last ear living with my gf. I am likely just a much cooler and more laid back person than you :lol:

No, but in all seriousness, I wanted an area to study besides the bedroom since she will be working and likely going to sleep while I am studying (I seem to be more productive late at night). So with it only being slightly more expensive than a 1 bedroom I figured it would be worth it.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:31 pm

chem wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:

Married people ftw. 8)

I agree, except I went for the three bedroom ftw. Whats your gf going to do in charlottesville?

3 beedrooms? wow thats a ton of space!! She is not sure yet. She is finishing up an internship at the moment and will be looking primarily when we arrive in Cville since we live so far away. She had a couple interviews and has one offer that she is considering.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:36 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:

Married people ftw. 8)

Oh yeah, extra space eh?? WELL FUCK YOU! :lol: :lol: :lol:

HAHAHA my bad!! it was the gf's decision more than mine. Also the fact that I didnt want to have to move after year 1. So we will be staying in the apartment we are leasing for all 3 years. Unless we end up hating it lol I have a feeling I am going to be driving to school every day next year thinking "wtf, why didnt I live at the Jeffersonian" hahah

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:10 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:I am likely just a much cooler and more laid back person than you :lol:

Indubitably.

*continues smoking blunt with friends while you outline furiously*

Postby 005618502 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:35 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:I am likely just a much cooler and more laid back person than you :lol:

Indubitably.

*continues smoking blunt with friends while you outline furiously*

Im an 0L bro :P just signed my lease for the fall

chem

Postby chem » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:32 pm

chem wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
Married people ftw. 8)

3 beedrooms? wow thats a ton of space!! She is not sure yet. She is finishing up an internship at the moment and will be looking primarily when we arrive in Cville since we live so far away. She had a couple interviews and has one offer that she is considering.

Nice. My fiance will be getting her PhD at UVa. The rent was surprising low. Right next to the law school in Huntington Village. 1200 a month for the whole thing

hobojarpen

Postby hobojarpen » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:34 pm

Still negotiating with UVA for scholarship $$, but even if I don't get any $$ from them, I think I'll still favor them over my other choices.

chem

Postby chem » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:47 pm

hobojarpen wrote:Still negotiating with UVA for scholarship $$, but even if I don't get any $$ from them, I think I'll still favor them over my other choices.

I tried negotiating. All the money was out. I even tried the "If I get any money I will deposit immediately". Nada. Thought maybe Id help my odds by depositing?

hobojarpen

Postby hobojarpen » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:12 pm

chem wrote:
hobojarpen wrote:Still negotiating with UVA for scholarship $$, but even if I don't get any $$ from them, I think I'll still favor them over my other choices.

I tried negotiating. All the money was out. I even tried the "If I get any money I will deposit immediately". Nada. Thought maybe Id help my odds by depositing?

Yeah, I'm definitely being realistic about the possibility of not receiving $$ at this point. Nevertheless, everyone I've spoken with there emphasized that it was still "very possible" I could receive something and that I should continue to follow up with them on a weekly basis.

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:48 pm

Buying used books, yay or nay?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:00 pm

catholicgirl wrote:Buying used books, yay or nay?

I don't like dealing with others' highlightings and markings, but some people don't mind--it comes down to personal preferences. Even if you don't buy used books, I'd recommend looking for yours on Amazon, as they are often substantially cheaper new on Amazon than at the bookstore.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:02 pm

Cavalier wrote:

I don't like dealing with others' highlightings and markings, but some people don't mind--it comes down to personal preferences. Even if you don't buy used books, I'd recommend looking for yours on Amazon, as they are often substantially cheaper new on Amazon than at the bookstore.

I always try to get used and if you get there soon enough you can generally find books that aren't that marked up. I had to buy all new this semester though. Fuckin sucked.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:04 pm

Sometimes I'll read through a book highlighted by someone who knew what they were doing, and it's pretty awesome having my attention quickly drawn to relevant parts. Other times not so much, but once the previous owner has lost credibility I typically disregard all previous markings.

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:05 pm

Cavalier wrote:

Recognizing my obsessive need to plan/and the fact that no one I know has gone to law school in the past twenty years and all questions I therefore ask are probably stupid as hell:

Do we have enough time to order things from Amazon as a 1L?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:25 pm

catholicgirl wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

Recognizing my obsessive need to plan/and the fact that no one I know has gone to law school in the past twenty years and all questions I therefore ask are probably stupid as hell:

Maybe not fall semester, but afterwards you should have plenty of time.

Heat

Postby Heat » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Cavalier wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

I did. I used Prime. Worse comes to worse you can one day ship it for 3.99 and it would be there the next day probably still cheaper then the bookstore. That being said you may not have prime.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:34 pm

Cavalier wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

I did. I used Prime. Worse comes to worse you can one day ship it for 3.99 and it would be there the next day probably still cheaper then the bookstore. That being said you may not have prime.

Yeah there's time. You'll know your classes about a week beforehand if memory serves, and that will leave you plenty of time for them to arrive. If you're late to the game, you can do what I did this semester: just buy the book new from the bookstore, keep it in really good shape, order off Amazon, then return the new book to the bookstore. You get like a week or two before the return deadline.

Also, there is a PILA booksale at the beginning of each semester. You want to make sure you get there right away because most of those books are pretty beat up, but there are usually a couple versions of each that are not bad. They're really cheap, so it's worth checking out.

I'm also not a huge fan of used books because I get distracted by the highlighting. But I find that if you go on Amazon or Barnes & Noble and get one that is 'Like New' or "Very Good' it's usually fine. Some people really don't write in their books.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:18 pm

Again Folks:

1. Buy books at the book store ASAP.
2. Don't mark them so you can return them within the 2 week add/drop window.
3. Buy used books on Amazon, giving yourself a 2 week window for them to arrive.
4. Amazon books arrive.
5. Return unmarked and gently worn book store copies to the book store.
6. ???????????
7. Profit. (More beer money)

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:28 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Again Folks:

3. Buy used books on Amazon, giving yourself a 2 week window for them to arrive.
4. Amazon books arrive.
6. ???????????

This doesn't allow me to use 5 different highlighters for color-coding my cases to prepare for those initial cold-calls during the first few weeks of 1L.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:44 pm

desertlaw wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Again Folks:

4. Amazon books arrive.
6. ???????????

This doesn't allow me to use 5 different highlighters for color-coding my cases to prepare for those initial cold-calls during the first few weeks of 1L.

Fun fact: I've been cold called a grand total of 7 times in 2 years of law school.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:15 am

Curious what other people think about UVA hiring its own graduates temporarily to boost its ranking:

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2549157393

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”