UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thesealocust

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:25 pm

I assume all of the 2Ls have realized pos-10 somehow got a video on youtube to 100K hits. WTF???

also: <3 you all as much as I can <3 law students (which is not very much)

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:13 pm

thesealocust wrote:I assume all of the 2Ls have realized pos-10 somehow got a video on youtube to 100K hits. WTF???

also: <3 you all as much as I can <3 law students (which is not very much)

The UVA law investigative sources have proposed the theory that he paid a firm to get it up to 100k views.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:55 pm

quick, somebody call the honor committee!

sn20

Postby sn20 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:01 pm

Could some of the current students talk about how much of the budget you guys actually spend? Thanks!

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:24 pm

It's extremely variable. The book allowance is generous even if buying new, and if you buy used &/or sell &/or use the library you can get by on a fraction.

Rent will run from under $500 (looking at you, Jeffersonian) to as much as you want to spend. You don't need a car if you live on Arlington and if you live on the east coast even travel expenses are minimal.

Still, if you're thinking about how many loans to take out, it makes sense to take the max every semester. Then whenever you want you can re-pay loans without penalty, even if it's the day after disbursement. It's a bit more work but it gives you a lot of control and avoids a situation where you run out of money.

On that note, everyone should have and learn to responsibly use a CC while in law school. Building a credit history and good credit score will save you money down the line - you'll get better rates on loans / mortgages that you're very likely to want at some point in your life, and length of credit history is one of the most important factors in your score. Plus it gives you float if you screw up your finances or have an emergency between loan distributions.

Extra credit: apply for a credit limit increase while working for a firm over the summer. Most companies only care about your take home pay, and even if you tell them it's a temporary job you still will likely qualify for an absolutely ludicrous credit limit. Another credit score factor is percentage utilization. It's only a minor over simplification to say that a higher credit limit will always mean a higher score.

And if you ever need to flee the country on short notice, it gives you more ability to lever up first 8)

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:34 pm

thesealocust wrote:It's extremely variable. The book allowance is generous even if buying new, and if you buy used &/or sell &/or use the library you can get by on a fraction.

Rent will run from under $500 (looking at you, Jeffersonian) to as much as you want to spend. You don't need a car if you live on Arlington and if you live on the east coast even travel expenses are minimal.

Still, if you're thinking about how many loans to take out, it makes sense to take the max every semester. Then whenever you want you can re-pay loans without penalty, even if it's the day after disbursement. It's a bit more work but it gives you a lot of control and avoids a situation where you run out of money.

On that note, everyone should have and learn to responsibly use a CC while in law school. Building a credit history and good credit score will save you money down the line - you'll get better rates on loans / mortgages that you're very likely to want at some point in your life, and length of credit history is one of the most important factors in your score. Plus it gives you float if you screw up your finances or have an emergency between loan distributions.

Extra credit: apply for a credit limit increase while working for a firm over the summer. Most companies only care about your take home pay, and even if you tell them it's a temporary job you still will likely qualify for an absolutely ludicrous credit limit. Another credit score factor is percentage utilization. It's only a minor over simplification to say that a higher credit limit will always mean a higher score.

And if you ever need to flee the country on short notice, it gives you more ability to lever up first 8)

"A fake passport, 6 pounds of caffeine powder, 25 pounds of Grade A beef jerky cutlets, a book of dick jokes, 4 Radeon 6990 graphics cards, and a 1200 Watt power supply. Then they never saw him again. What happened to the man known as thesealocust. In what deep recesses of his mind did he formulate a plan that involved these things, and then vanish in to the night? Tonight, America, we will seek those answers"

NBC Network Transcript
Date Line NBC, February 21st, 2017.

cd7573

Postby cd7573 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Random Question... Who do you guys bank with? I have a local bank at home and im thinking about opening a Bank of America account any suggestions for whats best in c-ville?
Last edited by cd7573 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:30 pm

cd7573 wrote:Random Question... Who do you guys bank with? I have a local bank at home and am thinking about opening a Bank of America account any suggestions for whats best in c-ville?

I use Suntrust but I had them when I showed up. People use Wells Fargo, Bank of America, and I think there's an ATM in the law school but I don't know off hand what bank that is, is it Union? There is no Chase in Charlottesville unfortunately. Some of us learned that the hard way.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:41 pm

I use Wells Fargo. They have one on Arlington so it's pretty convenient.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:22 pm

BofA on Corner and Barracks makes it friendly for day and night banking.

sn20

Postby sn20 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:21 pm

thesealocust wrote:It's extremely variable. The book allowance is generous even if buying new, and if you buy used &/or sell &/or use the library you can get by on a fraction.

Thanks! Also, how do UVA 1L/2L's do in Texas? Could someone give me an idea of "grade cutoffs" for the major Texas firms (BB, VE, FJ)?

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:35 pm

cd7573 wrote:Random Question... Who do you guys bank with? I have a local bank at home and im thinking about opening a Bank of America account any suggestions for whats best in c-ville?

I use Bank of America. I don't know if there are any banks which are known to be better than the others. The only thing I would suggest is to pick a bank which has branches or at least ATM's in your hometown or wherever you might end up during the summers. That way you'll have easy access to your bank year around.

lnz103

Postby lnz103 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:57 pm

Why is there a tshirt with a shark on it in the bookstore? I don't understand.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:12 pm

lnz103 wrote:Why is there a tshirt with a shark on it in the bookstore? I don't understand.

My interpretation was that it's because lawyers are sharks.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:33 pm

Puttanesca wrote:
lnz103 wrote:Why is there a tshirt with a shark on it in the bookstore? I don't understand.

My interpretation was that it's because lawyers are sharks.

I've been told the fish is a wahoo.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:51 am

Pretty sure this was a joke...... And no, its not a Wahoo, it was definitely a shark lol

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:22 pm

thesealocust wrote:Rent will run from under $500 (looking at you, Jeffersonian) to as much as you want to spend.

Rent at the Jeffersonian is not under $500 for the vast majority of Jeffersonian residents. Maybe it's under $500 if you took over someone's lease in 1970. 1-bedrooms are going for $725 now.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:30 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Rent will run from under $500 (looking at you, Jeffersonian) to as much as you want to spend.

Rent at the Jeffersonian is not under $500 for the vast majority of Jeffersonian residents. Maybe it's under $500 if you took over someone's lease in 1970. 1-bedrooms are going for $725 now.

He meant if you have a 2 bedroom with a roomate. Its like 820 a month split between 2. Hence the under 500.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:36 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:

He meant if you have a 2 bedroom with a roomate. Its like 820 a month split between 2. Hence the under 500.

lol @ people with roomates

In that case, rent is closer to $400 than $500.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:58 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:

lol @ people with roomates

In that case, rent is closer to $400 than $500.

Living alone would blow.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:07 pm

Living with cool roommates > living alone > living with bad roommates.

jediknight2424

Postby jediknight2424 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:55 pm

dailygrind wrote:Living with cool roommates > living alone > living with bad roommates.

+1

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:24 pm

I'm pretty sure it's union. WF is the most convenient, but that ofcourse, depends on where you live.

If anyone has questions about living at the gradcentre without knowing who your roommates are feel free to message me. I liked it this year.

Doritos wrote:
cd7573 wrote:Random Question... Who do you guys bank with? I have a local bank at home and am thinking about opening a Bank of America account any suggestions for whats best in c-ville?

I use Suntrust but I had them when I showed up. People use Wells Fargo, Bank of America, and I think there's an ATM in the law school but I don't know off hand what bank that is, is it Union? There is no Chase in Charlottesville unfortunately. Some of us learned that the hard way.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:35 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Living alone would blow.

Married people ftw. 8)

chem

Postby chem » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:51 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Living alone would blow.

Married people ftw. 8)

+1

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”