UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
pjo

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby pjo » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:07 pm

desertlaw wrote:
envisciguy wrote:
I'd look at it as a positive. Think of all the $ you'll save if you only have to buy 1 beer whenever you do choose to go out drinking!

Right. Because beer is so expensive at all the 1L mixers.

Lol this is exactly what I was thinking. I think I've spent a total of like $30 on alcohol since coming here, and that's mainly from bar review (but even there, someone will often buy first round).

Best part about UVA is that there's just about always free beer and food somewhere.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:09 pm

pjo wrote:
desertlaw wrote:
envisciguy wrote:
I'd look at it as a positive. Think of all the $ you'll save if you only have to buy 1 beer whenever you do choose to go out drinking!

Lol this is exactly what I was thinking. I think I've spent a total of like $30 on alcohol since coming here, and that's mainly from bar review (but even there, someone will often buy first round).

You must be female or you just don't return the favor when people buy you drinks. Although going out in Cville is pretty cheap, I've spent way more than $30/year on bar review alcohol. But more power to however you do it.

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:11 pm

pjo wrote:
desertlaw wrote:
envisciguy wrote:

Best part about UVA is that there's just about always free beer and food somewhere.

Awesome, I'll be able to save a total of $20 my first year :-p

pjo

Postby pjo » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:13 pm

desertlaw wrote:
pjo wrote:
desertlaw wrote:
envisciguy wrote:

You must be female or you just don't return the favor when people buy you drinks. Although going out in Cville is pretty cheap, I've spent way more than $30/year on bar review alcohol. But more power to however you do it.

Psssh, brah you don't have girls buy YOU drinks? You're doing it wrong.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:46 pm

pjo wrote:
desertlaw wrote:

Psssh, brah you don't have girls buy YOU drinks? You're doing it wrong.

No brah. I don't know any feminists.

jediknight2424

Postby jediknight2424 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:25 pm

I have a few questions-- thanks in advance!

1) Would taking administrative law in the spring be too difficult for a 1L? How about Corporations?

2) Anyone have an opinion on the law and public service program?

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:39 pm

jediknight2424 wrote:I have a few questions-- thanks in advance!

1) Would taking administrative law in the spring be too difficult for a 1L? How about Corporations?

You really shouldn't even be thinking about 1L spring class selection at this point. But fwiw, general consensus is that yes, that's too early to take admin law. My torts professor who also teaches admin actually told our class not to take it and was disappointed the administration even offered 1Ls the option. He believed pretty firmly that you need ConLaw before taking Admin. Corporations is a different story. It's a pretty common elective for 1Ls (along with Evidence, Tax, Health Law, International Law, and a few others).

Not a big fan of the law and public service program (I'm in it). Apparently other years have had different reactions, but quite a few of us are really frustrated/disappointed with the required class we have to take. I've heard mixed reviews on the other class that we take next year. On the plus side, it does guarantee you summer funding if you do PI work.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:39 pm

I would NOT take Admin Law from Duffy during 1L, if it's offered. It might be okay if you take it from Fischman. I don't know.

Corporations shouldn't be too bad, comparatively speaking.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:42 pm

There were a whole lot of 1Ls in my corps class (I took it as a 1L as well). I don't think it's necessarily "too difficult," though it's certainly a bit taxing, and may be worth avoiding if you're not feeling particularly gung ho.

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:41 am

Whatever you do, do NOT take Admin your 1L year. Con Law definitely seems essential to understanding ad law.

To me, every 1L should take evidence in the spring. It's easier than any fall classes, it comes up in tons of other classes, and it's a prereq for all kinds of things.

Beyond that, I'd avoid anything with heavy constitutional content, since you'll be taking con law at the same time. Corporations is fine, though it is, as someone else put it, taxing. I know a bunch of people who took family law and were happy with it.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:21 am

StanleyF wrote:Beyond that, I'd avoid anything with heavy constitutional content, since you'll be taking con law at the same time. Corporations is fine, though it is, as someone else put it, taxing. I know a bunch of people who took family law and were happy with it.

If you are trying to avoid taxing classes you definitely should avoid federal income tax

jediknight2424

Postby jediknight2424 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 am

StanleyF wrote:

Whatever you do, do NOT take Admin your 1L year. Con Law definitely seems essential to understanding ad law.

To me, every 1L should take evidence in the spring. It's easier than any fall classes, it comes up in tons of other classes, and it's a prereq for all kinds of things.

Beyond that, I'd avoid anything with heavy constitutional content, since you'll be taking con law at the same time. Corporations is fine, though it is, as someone else put it, taxing. I know a bunch of people who took family law and were happy with it.

What is taxing about corporations?

Also, the reason I'm looking at classes is because I was trying to figure out how to take minimum credits spring semester. ill have more family-related time committments outside of school in the spring (also i like planning ahead--prob too much). im thinking a 4-cr elective + 1-cr short course.

i see that evidence is offered as 3cr and 4cr. should i shoot for evidence 4cr and have corps as backup?

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:50 am

jediknight2424 wrote:
StanleyF wrote:

Also, the reason I'm looking at classes is because I was trying to figure out how to take minimum credits spring semester. ill have more family-related time committments outside of school in the spring (also i like planning ahead--prob too much). im thinking a 4-cr elective + 1-cr short course.

i see that evidence is offered as 3cr and 4cr. should i shoot for evidence 4cr and have corps as backup?

Come back in the fall and ask then. There are plenty of people I know that did a lighter load during 1L spring due to other life stuff (marriage, children, rapping career, etc). So it's definitely possible. PR might be a good class to take also. 2 credits and pretty easy.

hooma

Postby hooma » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:00 am

Does anyone know someone that lived in the Graduate Centre and regretted it? It seems like such a good deal, and I'm optimistic that grad students are too busy to create a lot of disturbance or drama, but it would be helpful to know if either is untrue.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:12 am

desertlaw wrote:
jediknight2424 wrote:
StanleyF wrote:

Come back in the fall and ask then. There are plenty of people I know that did a lighter load during 1L spring due to other life stuff (marriage, children, rapping career, etc). So it's definitely possible. PR might be a good class to take also. 2 credits and pretty easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n56-N9qj ... ure=relmfu

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:32 am

100k views? Wow. I withdraw my objection.

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:02 am

jediknight2424 wrote:
StanleyF wrote:

Corporations just kind of sucks, if you ask me. It's dry and it's a ton of material, full of people who want to do transactional work (which I don't). I would wait and take it as a 2L or 3L, unless you know you want to do transactions. If you aren't sure or think you want to litigate, there is nothing to be gained by taking it as a 1L.

As for evidence, definitely take it as 4 credits if you can. And I totally agree with the recommendation that you take 2 credit PR in the spring (do NOT take it with Cohen for 3 credits—he has a serious curve and his class draws heavily from the ranks of the Law Review).

I wouldn't take three courses plus a 1 credit short course—employers are going to be looking at this transcript pretty closely, and that might look a little light to them. But PR is a legit class, also a prereq for every clinic, and you can tell a good story about trying to make sure you took core classes your 1L year (if they ask, some do, some don't).

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:42 am

hooma wrote:Does anyone know someone that lived in the Graduate Centre and regretted it? It seems like such a good deal, and I'm optimistic that grad students are too busy to create a lot of disturbance or drama, but it would be helpful to know if either is untrue.

I'm a 0L, but I just signed a lease there and really liked it when I checked it out during ASW. Most of the things I heard about it were pretty positive, both from online reviews and a couple students who knew something about it (though I'm not sure any of them lived there).

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:11 pm

Grad Centre is great especially because of the private entrance and bath, but if you live with strangers it can be very non-ideal. 4 people and one kitchen / common area can work if you know each other and get along but otherwise a lot of people bail after a year with randos. Many stay the whole time though and you certainly can't beat the location.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:38 pm

So is TLS doing anything to celebrate the graduation of thesealocust or cavalier or any other 3L's? I feel like we should bid them ado in some special way.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:51 pm

desertlaw wrote:So is TLS doing anything to celebrate the graduation of thesealocust or cavalier or any other 3L's? I feel like we should bid them ado in some special way.

INTERNET PARTY!

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:53 pm

I'm entertaining the notion of entering thesealocust into the word filter as Godking of the Employment Forum. Just kidding. But not entirely.

More seriously, I would definitely like to thank all the 3Ls that stuck around and provided us with advice and the occasional much needed outline. TSL, Cavalier, and vamedic, RVP, and showNprove all come to mind, though I'm sure that there are more to whom thanks should be given. This place won't be the same without you.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:00 pm

dailygrind wrote:More seriously, I would definitely like to thank all the 3Ls that stuck around and provided us with advice and the occasional much needed outline. TSL, Cavalier, and vamedic, RVP, and showNprove all come to mind, though I'm sure that there are more to whom thanks should be given. This place won't be the same without you.

As an OL lurker of this thread/ future UVA hopeful I second the thank you for providing all the information and wish you all good luck! (but don't leave TLS)

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:48 pm

Br3v wrote:
dailygrind wrote:More seriously, I would definitely like to thank all the 3Ls that stuck around and provided us with advice and the occasional much needed outline. TSL, Cavalier, and vamedic, RVP, and showNprove all come to mind, though I'm sure that there are more to whom thanks should be given. This place won't be the same without you.

As an OL lurker of this thread/ future UVA hopeful I second the thank you for providing all the information and wish you all good luck! (but don't leave TLS)

Yes, continue to give us advice while your studying for the bar and when you're billing 100+ hours a week in your jobs.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:54 pm

desertlaw wrote:
Br3v wrote:

Yes, continue to give us advice while your studying for the bar and when you're billing 100+ hours a week in your jobs.

Nah bro, they are going to "lifestyle" firms. You only gotta hit 90 billables per week and they give you a whole hour to respond to emails. They are gonna be straight chillin. Not like pos10, mind you, but we can't all be on that level.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”