UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dailygrind

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby dailygrind » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:44 pm

StanleyF wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote: Top 10% is a decent spot to think of for appeals court judges. If you want D.C. Circuit, you may need to better than top 10%. If you want to clerk for an appeals court justice who sits in the middle of nowhere maybe you only need a 3.60 or so.

Location of the appeals court doesn't really matter—the competition for all these clerkships is incredibly high, regardless of location.

You can get a GPA list once you're on lawweb.

http://lawnotes2.law.virginia.edu/lawit ... ment&login

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:59 pm

lameslice57 wrote:so how much is not drinking going to be a problem for my social life :)?

Plenty of people at UVa don't drink and the rest of us are cool with it and would be cool with you hanging out with us. But, people will still drink regardless of how much you don't.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:56 pm

dailygrind wrote:
StanleyF wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote: Top 10% is a decent spot to think of for appeals court judges. If you want D.C. Circuit, you may need to better than top 10%. If you want to clerk for an appeals court justice who sits in the middle of nowhere maybe you only need a 3.60 or so.

Location of the appeals court doesn't really matter—the competition for all these clerkships is incredibly high, regardless of location.

I don't know how accurate those stats are nowadays FYI

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:13 pm

Doritos wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
StanleyF wrote:

I don't know how accurate those stats are nowadays FYI

Yeah, a lot of it is from better, less competitive times.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:15 pm

dailygrind wrote:
StanleyF wrote:

Considering I don't have a UVA sign in, can you explain what this link is?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:19 pm

Sorry, that was sort of tangential to your question, and more meant to give insight into those who were wondering about clerkships. It's a list of average GPAs for various courts UVA students have gone to. I don't know much about academic hiring, though what little I know implies that the boost from any school not YHS and maybe Chicago is small enough to be a nonfactor for people considering academia outside other compelling circumstances (PhD in relevant field, absolute prodigy, already published, etc.).

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:42 am

I've been offered a job in an area that I'm interested in that is somewhat non-law related (policy research) and am thinking about deferring. I would like to take it and work for a year, but I am concerned about not getting the same scholarship amount the following year. Would current students recommend taking the gig, or matriculating next year due to concerns about not getting as much scholly when I matriculate the following year? In an ideal world I would take the gig and receive the same amount next year, but I would hate to receive less scholly next cycle after working for a year. Thoughts?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:45 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:I've been offered a job in an area that I'm interested in that is somewhat non-law related (policy research) and am thinking about deferring. I would like to take it and work for a year, but I am concerned about not getting the same scholarship amount the following year. Would current students recommend taking the gig, or matriculating next year due to concerns about not getting as much scholly when I matriculate the following year? In an ideal world I would take the gig and receive the same amount next year, but I would hate to receive less scholly next cycle after working for a year. Thoughts?

I can't imagine they would take away scholarship money if you deferred. Often UVA has had to offer extra scholarship money to get students to defer. If your first choice is taking the job, I would. Work experience, even if just a little, plays a big role at OGI.

I would just email Fin Aid/Admissions and ask, though.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:33 am

5ky wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:I've been offered a job in an area that I'm interested in that is somewhat non-law related (policy research) and am thinking about deferring. I would like to take it and work for a year, but I am concerned about not getting the same scholarship amount the following year. Would current students recommend taking the gig, or matriculating next year due to concerns about not getting as much scholly when I matriculate the following year? In an ideal world I would take the gig and receive the same amount next year, but I would hate to receive less scholly next cycle after working for a year. Thoughts?

I can't imagine they would take away scholarship money if you deferred. Often UVA has had to offer extra scholarship money to get students to defer. If your first choice is taking the job, I would. Work experience, even if just a little, plays a big role at OGI.

I would just email Fin Aid/Admissions and ask, though.

I havent heard of this, and know someone who deferred when I did and was told his Scholly couldnt be guaranteed. Also, were you ED? This might also increase the difficulty. But yeah, I would just email and ask it cannot hurt and it will answer your question with more certainty.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:56 pm

I would love to agree with the teaching bit...but I have heard a lot from people that publishing may actually outweigh grades on the meat market...anyone know how true that is?

StanleyF wrote:
Br3v wrote:I have read a couple different places (Internet so who knows the validity) that outside of YHS UVA has a slightly better edge for paths into academia. Do you guys think there is truth to that. If so, care to give any explanations? Is it because UVA sends more clerks? Do you know any graduating classmates pursuing academia?

There are a few sites that have ranked law schools by how they place in teaching jobs. I've seen a newer list than this one, but this is the best I could find with a quick search http://www.concurringopinions.com/archi ... iring.html

Short answer is that if you want to teach, Yale is by far the best place.

If you want to teach, a court of appeals clerkship is (almost) a prerequisite, while a Supreme Court clerkship is (almost) a guarantee— but the odds of clerking for the SC are probably roughly the same as winning the lottery, founding your own law school and hiring yourself.

That said, UVa has really been doing well placing clerks in court of appeals the last few years, which will probably mean an uptick in academic placement. We've also done pretty well at the Supreme Court (I think three in the past two years, but I might be wrong about that).

To get one of these clerkships, you need very good grades. And to teach, you need very good grades. It doesn't matter what law school you go to—if you don't have very good grades, teaching is out.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:56 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:I would love to agree with the teaching bit...but I have heard a lot from people that publishing may actually outweigh grades on the meat market...anyone know how true that is?

StanleyF wrote:
Br3v wrote:I have read a couple different places (Internet so who knows the validity) that outside of YHS UVA has a slightly better edge for paths into academia. Do you guys think there is truth to that. If so, care to give any explanations? Is it because UVA sends more clerks? Do you know any graduating classmates pursuing academia?

There are a few sites that have ranked law schools by how they place in teaching jobs. I've seen a newer list than this one, but this is the best I could find with a quick search http://www.concurringopinions.com/archi ... iring.html

If you want to teach, a court of appeals clerkship is (almost) a prerequisite, while a Supreme Court clerkship is (almost) a guarantee— but the odds of clerking for the SC are probably roughly the same as winning the lottery, founding your own law school and hiring yourself.

That said, UVa has really been doing well placing clerks in court of appeals the last few years, which will probably mean an uptick in academic placement. We've also done pretty well at the Supreme Court (I think three in the past two years, but I might be wrong about that).

To get one of these clerkships, you need very good grades. And to teach, you need very good grades. It doesn't matter what law school you go to—if you don't have very good grades, teaching is out.

Sorry for the long quote. Check out the thread a current law prof has written in. Informative stuff.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:47 am

crossingforHYS wrote:I would love to agree with the teaching bit...but I have heard a lot from people that publishing may actually outweigh grades on the meat market...anyone know how true that is?

StanleyF wrote:

pjo

Postby pjo » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:25 am

Does anyone know when we schedule Fall classes?

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:36 am

pjo wrote:Does anyone know when we schedule Fall classes?

Sometime in the summer. So if you want to check the grade distribution thing in the library and will be half-way across the country when you get an e-mail from Dean Bennett about how to sign up for classes, you better check it now gunner.

pjo

Postby pjo » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:28 am

desertlaw wrote:

Sometime in the summer. So if you want to check the grade distribution thing in the library and will be half-way across the country when you get an e-mail from Dean Bennett about how to sign up for classes, you better check it now gunner.

I’ve already photocopied it…then I ripped all the pages from Fall 2010 out.

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:45 pm

lameslice57 wrote:so how much is not drinking going to be a problem for my social life :)?

I'm not a big drinker but almost everyone I've spoken to attending UVA says it really doesn't matter as long as

1) you're not a dick about it.
2) you're not weird about it.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:48 pm

catholicgirl wrote:

I'm not a big drinker but almost everyone I've spoken to attending UVA says it really doesn't matter as long as

As you go through life I think you'll find that this applies to almost every situation involving drinking.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:55 pm

pjo wrote:
desertlaw wrote:

When do incoming 1Ls get their class (professor) assignments. I have a couple attorneys who work at my firm that are asking i think partially to help me out but also just to relive the glory days. I told them about ASW and the Keg thursday afternoon and I could see them wishing they were there again lol

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:04 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:

As you go through life I think you'll find that this applies to almost every situation involving drinking.

Yup.

I physically can't handle drinking more than 1 beer. I am the ultimate light-weight. 12 year old gymnasts laugh at my inability to drink more than them.
I was a little worried about going to UVA because of the social scene but calmed down significantly when I realized as long as I don't make a big deal of not liking to drink that much, no one else will.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:15 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
pjo wrote:
desertlaw wrote:

When do incoming 1Ls get their class (professor) assignments. I have a couple attorneys who work at my firm that are asking i think partially to help me out but also just to relive the glory days. I told them about ASW and the Keg thursday afternoon and I could see them wishing they were there again lol

Not til a few days before classes start.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:17 pm

catholicgirl wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:

Yup.

I physically can't handle drinking more than 1 beer. I am the ultimate light-weight. 12 year old gymnasts laugh at my inability to drink more than them.
I was a little worried about going to UVA because of the social scene but calmed down significantly when I realized as long as I don't make a big deal of not liking to drink that much, no one else will.

UVa will increase your drinking ability/tolerance.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:36 pm

desertlaw wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:I'm not a big drinker but almost everyone I've spoken to attending UVA says it really doesn't matter as long as

Yup.

UVa will increase your drinking ability/tolerance.

Yes it will. It's a magical place.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:37 pm

catholicgirl wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:

Yup.

I'd look at it as a positive. Think of all the $ you'll save if you only have to buy 1 beer whenever you do choose to go out drinking!

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:16 pm

envisciguy wrote:
I'd look at it as a positive. Think of all the $ you'll save if you only have to buy 1 beer whenever you do choose to go out drinking!

Right. Because beer is so expensive at all the 1L mixers.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:58 pm

envisciguy wrote:I'd look at it as a positive. Think of all the $ you'll save if you only have to buy 1 beer whenever you do choose to go out drinking!

Charlottesville isn't New York or DC. Beers are only $2-$3 at many of the popular bars!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”