UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thesealocust

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:11 am

I mean cut a check to the Public Interest Law Association. For all I know they use it on hookers & cocaine, but that's where all of the money Libel doesn't spend on beer or property damage goes.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:39 am

I kinda feel like a fool for asking this, but what is the "Libel Show"?

pjo

Postby pjo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:40 am

t14fanboy wrote:I kinda feel like a fool for asking this, but what is the "Libel Show"?

A show including comic skits and songs about law school. Most schools do one, but they call it "law revue" or something like that.

Ex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGdt3QmtAsw

In the "law school is high school" analogy, it's comparable to the high school play.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:47 am

meh
Last edited by Geneva on Tue May 01, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jediknight2424

Postby jediknight2424 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:11 am

Will libel show tickets be sold at asw bbq on thursday? Can you get them earlier in the day at the school?

turkeysub

Postby turkeysub » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:32 am

desertlaw wrote:
Doritos wrote:I don't know why you guys are worrying about textbook costs. The gubmint's givin out free money over here. Plus, now that we're T7 worrying about getting a job is so 2011. I like my textbooks like I like my post-graduation Lexus. NEW

I prefer Benz. I think you can save a lot more by living w/roommate, not eating out all the time, getting free lunches. Don't do guerrilla style tactics for saving money on books. Just rent or get used textbooks from the bookstore, and maybe do Amazon for the E&E's if you're doing that. But don't go crazy. Difference between $198k and $196k isn't much.

+1 You can save like $4000/year by living with a roommate at the Jeffersonian over living alone at Ivy, which is almost a PILA grant, w/o having to do any of the work.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:18 am

jediknight2424 wrote:Will libel show tickets be sold at asw bbq on thursday? Can you get them earlier in the day at the school?

Yep, there will be a ticket table up on Friday at the BBQ. We've already reserved seats for admitted students, and if sales go well they might even be discounted.

Also free beer before the show! Woooo!

toolbox

Postby toolbox » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:54 am

Netflix suggests: if you like Whitney and Two and a Half men, you'll LOVE libel show ;-D

jediknight2424

Postby jediknight2424 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:04 pm

I'm looking to open up a new bank account. Can anyone recommend a convenient bank in the area?

jediknight2424

Postby jediknight2424 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:06 pm

thesealocust wrote:
jediknight2424 wrote:Will libel show tickets be sold at asw bbq on thursday? Can you get them earlier in the day at the school?

Yep, there will be a ticket table up on Friday at the BBQ. We've already reserved seats for admitted students, and if sales go well they might even be discounted.

Also free beer before the show! Woooo!

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely interested in going!

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:08 pm

jediknight2424 wrote:I'm looking to open up a new bank account. Can anyone recommend a convenient bank in the area?

Wells Fargo is all over the place, including in Barracks (the large shopping center just down the street from the law school).

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:44 am

dixon02 wrote:
jediknight2424 wrote:I'm looking to open up a new bank account. Can anyone recommend a convenient bank in the area?

Wells Fargo is all over the place, including in Barracks (the large shopping center just down the street from the law school).

Also B of A in Barracks, as well as on the Corner. Always helpful when you need cash while at the Corner for parking/cab.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:19 am

desertlaw wrote:
dixon02 wrote:

Also B of A in Barracks, as well as on the Corner. Always helpful when you need cash while at the Corner for parking/cab.

Bank of America is so awesome

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:09 pm

Anyone have any tips or stories with regard to negotiating scholarship funds?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:28 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:Anyone have any tips or stories with regard to negotiating scholarship funds?

Hire an expert:
--ImageRemoved--

But seriously, there are a ton of threads on this if you search. With respect to UVA specifically, I've anecdotally heard from classmates that UVA is not big on negotiating unless you've gotten money from schools above the MVP tier.

Seneca

Postby Seneca » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:44 pm

Coughlin, Geis, and Ortiz are teaching mock classes on Friday. Any recommendations as to which I should try to attend, if I get the choice?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Coughlin. Geis is a law and business focused prof, so if you're into that he might be a good choice. Never heard of Ortiz.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:23 pm

sundance95 wrote:Coughlin. Geis is a law and business focused prof, so if you're into that he might be a good choice. Never heard of Ortiz.

Ortiz is who you should see if you plan on grading on to LR (90% of the class) gunning super hard for COA clerkships, appellate work and other things requiring top 10% credentials.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:29 pm

sundance95 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:Anyone have any tips or stories with regard to negotiating scholarship funds?

Hire an expert:
--ImageRemoved--

But seriously, there are a ton of threads on this if you search. With respect to UVA specifically, I've anecdotally heard from classmates that UVA is not big on negotiating unless you've gotten money from schools above the MVP tier.

does that mean money from berkeley doesn't count? it's ranked the same, but has a much lower acceptance rate and less generous aid program. it's above uva in the sense that it is more competitive?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:14 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Coughlin. Geis is a law and business focused prof, so if you're into that he might be a good choice. Never heard of Ortiz.

Ortiz is who you should see if you plan on grading on to LR (90% of the class) gunning super hard for COA clerkships, appellate work and other things requiring top 10% credentials.

Ortiz is good, Coughlin also clerked on the Supreme Court, and Geis is the top business/transactional type prof. All three will suit your needs for what a mock class is going to give you.

I'd pick more on whichever subject you think interests you most:

Coughlin -- Criminal Law/Constitutional Law
Ortiz -- First Amendment/Election Law (not first year courses)
Geis -- corporate/business law (not really first year courses unless talking mostly about Contracts).

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:45 pm

I'd vote for Geis or Coughlin. Both are very dynamic and engaging lecturers. As a side note, whether or not a professor clerked on the Court has virtually: (a) 0 impact on their scholarship, (b) 0 impact on their teaching ability, and (c) virtually 0 impact on their value as a clerkship recommender (much more important is who they know, and honestly, most students have no clue which prof's know which judges).

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:59 pm

Seneca wrote:Coughlin, Geis, and Ortiz are teaching mock classes on Friday. Any recommendations as to which I should try to attend, if I get the choice?

I've had all three this year. I'd highly recommend Geis, followed closely by Coughlin. I wasn't a fan of Ortiz (nor were most of the people in my section), but that might have been because I had him for Civ Pro, which he didn't seem to be a fan of teaching.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:26 pm

Geneva wrote:does that mean money from berkeley doesn't count? it's ranked the same, but has a much lower acceptance rate and less generous aid program. it's above uva in the sense that it is more competitive?

I know Berkeley is ranked very high but am not sure what its reputation is like on the East Coast. In any case, I would give negotiating a shot. My situation was kind of unique but I did get money from UVA by telling them about scholarships from T-20's. Don't think this is common at all, but I mention it just so people don't automatically assume they cannot negotiate because they don't have money from HYS/CCN/MP. If you demonstrate a sincere interest in UVA and meet in-person with adcomms, maybe they will be nice with the $.

barneytrouble

Postby barneytrouble » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:50 pm

Geneva,

We get it. You have an irrational hatred of fun, despite having been drunk several times. UVA is obviously not a school you like very much.
Geneva wrote:don't worry--1/4 to 1/2 of the class of 2011 was unemployed at graduation. many of these people still cannot find work, but are on uva's payroll under the "fellowship" program, aka usnews ranking maintenance program.
sucks to be them. u just dodged a bullet

I mean stuff like the above is just hilarious. But please try to limit your criticisms to things that are actually true:

Geneva wrote:does that mean money from berkeley doesn't count? it's ranked the same, but has a much lower acceptance rate and less generous aid program. it's above uva in the sense that it is more competitive?

1. The generosity of aid programs does not have the sort of bearing you seem to think it does.

2. Berkeley does not have a much lower acceptance rate. And by that, I don't simply mean that Berkeley's is only slightly lower. They actually have a HIGHER acceptance rate than UVA. You will never make it to the Player Hater's Ball 2012 in London this summer if you insist on lying.

(Assuming you were mistakenly using last year's numbers for comparison, Berkeley's acceptance rate was 10.3% vs UVA's 10.8% - if this is what you qualified as "much lower" then I think you will agree with me that UVA now has a much much much much much much much lower one! 9.3 vs 12.7!)

Regards!

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:33 am

Well, this is uncomfortable.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”