UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 005618502 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:30 am

lol
Last edited by 005618502 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:04 pm

Pretty sure that Sealocust or whomever is getting paid for Libel doesn't care if the people that show up are law students or not, as long as it funds Sealocust's alcohol. Your biggest concern should be that girlfriend doesn't get scared away from you after watching Libel and seeing what type of environment you're entering.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:17 pm

If any 2Ls want to open their door on Thurs night for a male admit I'll give you $ to buy half of a vodka well shot.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:38 pm

desertlaw wrote:Pretty sure that Sealocust or whomever is getting paid for Libel doesn't care if the people that show up are law students or not, as long as it funds Sealocust's alcohol. Your biggest concern should be that girlfriend doesn't get scared away from you after watching Libel and seeing what type of environment you're entering.

Believe it or not, all Libel proceeds go to PILA. Very egalitarian drunken law school comedy show!

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:39 pm

thesealocust wrote:
desertlaw wrote:Pretty sure that Sealocust or whomever is getting paid for Libel doesn't care if the people that show up are law students or not, as long as it funds Sealocust's alcohol. Your biggest concern should be that girlfriend doesn't get scared away from you after watching Libel and seeing what type of environment you're entering.

Believe it or not, all Libel proceeds go to PILA. Very egalitarian drunken law school comedy show!

lol

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:40 pm

I'm not kidding! I think we've given PILA something north of 15 grand over the past decade.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:48 pm

nvm not the kind of place I am looking for. Called and I guess its gov funded. No wonder it was so cheap for such a big place lol
Last edited by 005618502 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:55 pm

thesealocust wrote:I'm not kidding! I think we've given PILA something north of 15 grand over the past decade.

This upsets me. I would not have purchased libel tickets if I had known that some of the money goes to PILA.

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:26 pm

Not to take anything away from the Libel Show, which I'm sure we'll be excellent, funny and worth paying double for, but I can think of nothing less funny to a non-law school student than a bunch of jokes about law school. Case in point: This video requires one year of law school to get:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VESzLBqx7KY

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:06 pm

StanleyF wrote:Not to take anything away from the Libel Show, which I'm sure we'll be excellent, funny and worth paying double for, but I can think of nothing less funny to a non-law school student than a bunch of jokes about law school. Case in point: This video requires one year of law school to get:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VESzLBqx7KY

Thank you for posting that. I'm going to try to find a way to fit "I don't need a warrant to look at the junk you got in your trunk" into my Crim Investigation final.

roddy4

Postby roddy4 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:55 am

On the law school's website it says to plan for about $1800 a year for books. Is this an accurate estimate?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:38 am

That's probably closer to the ceiling for supplements + all new books. I don't think I spent more than 12 or 1300 first year, and I bought a lot of supplements.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:55 am

Yeah textbooks themselves are under a 1000. Throw on some supplements and you might get up to 1200. I think 1800 is too high an estimate.

There are also some guerilla tactics you can engage in. Buy old editions, utilize the supplements in the reserve room, check the older supplements out of the library, buy books on amazon, buy books at the bookstore but don't write in them while you simultaneously order from Amazon and then return the more expensive book store copy, don't buy books for classes, don't read for classes, splitting books with a section mate might be possible. These won't work with all books but these tactics have saved me cash the last couple years.

pjo

Postby pjo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:57 pm

roddy4 wrote:On the law school's website it says to plan for about $1800 a year for books. Is this an accurate estimate?

Last semester I spent $650 on books & supps. This semester i spent $467 on books and supps. If I wasn't such a fool, I could have saved about $100 by not buying the "supplements" (i.e. the things called "supplements", but they are just the rules, like in Evidence/Contracts UCC/ Federal Rules of Civil Procedure) for my statutory classes. They really don't serve a point considering the rules are all on the internet anyway. Each one of those is like $30.

But yeah, You'll probably end up spending double that if you want new/newer books.

OP, hit me up when you get your section assignment and I'll sell you any books I have that you need (I never sold my books from last semester, hoping an incoming 1L would just take them off my hands)

albanach

Postby albanach » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:12 am

Yeah, there'll be a few folk on here selling books, then there's the PILA book sale and used books in the bookshop.

If you're going used, I recommend getting there v. early, as soon as class lists are posted and you know what books you need.

Also, look out for things like last semester where all Crim classes had the same casebook. As soon as you see a situation like that you can hit up Amazon's used books and probably get a decent copy for under $50.

roddy4

Postby roddy4 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:29 am

Thanks for all the insight.

pjo

Postby pjo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:47 pm

albanach wrote:Yeah, there'll be a few folk on here selling books, then there's the PILA book sale and used books in the bookshop.

If you're going used, I recommend getting there v. early, as soon as class lists are posted and you know what books you need.

Also, look out for things like last semester where all Crim classes had the same casebook. As soon as you see a situation like that you can hit up Amazon's used books and probably get a decent copy for under $50.

Just for reference, I was on amazon buying that book in July because everyone said that all the professors use it, and I never saw it for less than $90. The cheapest book I've ever found used was $50 for my Torts book, and calling it "decent shape" would have been very generous (inside looks like a rainbow)

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:27 pm

I don't know why you guys are worrying about textbook costs. The gubmint's givin out free money over here. Plus, now that we're T7 worrying about getting a job is so 2011. I like my textbooks like I like my post-graduation Lexus. NEW

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:31 pm

I wish I shared your enthusiasm. I expect to subsist on beans for the next 10 years.

Postby 005618502 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:36 pm

t14fanboy wrote:I wish I shared your enthusiasm. I expect to subsist on beans for the next 10 years.

Haha see I guess knowing how much debt I will be in makes me not worry about saving an extra couple bucks here and there. This is probably the exact opposite of how I should be going about it

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:54 pm

Doritos wrote:I don't know why you guys are worrying about textbook costs. The gubmint's givin out free money over here. Plus, now that we're T7 worrying about getting a job is so 2011. I like my textbooks like I like my post-graduation Lexus. NEW

I prefer Benz. I think you can save a lot more by living w/roommate, not eating out all the time, getting free lunches. Don't do guerrilla style tactics for saving money on books. Just rent or get used textbooks from the bookstore, and maybe do Amazon for the E&E's if you're doing that. But don't go crazy. Difference between $198k and $196k isn't much.

billyez

Postby billyez » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:42 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
ganggreen wrote:To people paying sticker and looking at huge loans upon graduation: any regrets?

No regrets so far. I agree with what Doritos and Desertlaw said. I will tell you this question could be rewritten as "To people paying sticker and looking at huge loans upon graduation: did you land big law?"

Alternatively you could do LRAP which is very strong here so there's that option. The problem there is federal/DOJ has stopped hiring at a rate that makes the private sector look like America's post-Ron Paul economy. A lot of public interest, prosecution, public defender jobs don't hire for a very long time, probably not for another year and a half for current 2Ls. Thus, anyone who didn't do big law and is still planning on PI probably has some trepidation. Maybe they aren't regretting things, but they at least have some worries.

Or, we could always get no offered and thus everyone is scared. Also, now that we're T7, they ought to at least double tuition. It's called supply and demand and it's science.

Yeah, I think I'm going to come out of self-imposed exile for this one.

As someone who is strictly doing PI and knows others who are similar, I'd say the level of trepidation in the 2L class of that group isn't that high since most seemed to get something. The only thing that I'd worry about if anyone was interested in PI stuff would be something you would experience at any school except HYS at this point; the job you have your 2L summer just doesn't have the same import as someone going the firm route and absolutely doesn't mean that you'll be offered there after 3L. Are things a little more nerve-wracking knowing that you'll have to hustle when folks that have offers don't? Yeah...but that's how its going to be for a PI guy whether you go to UVA or not. And that LRAP is pretty nice.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:02 am

billyez wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:
ganggreen wrote:To people paying sticker and looking at huge loans upon graduation: any regrets?

No regrets so far. I agree with what Doritos and Desertlaw said. I will tell you this question could be rewritten as "To people paying sticker and looking at huge loans upon graduation: did you land big law?"

Alternatively you could do LRAP which is very strong here so there's that option. The problem there is federal/DOJ has stopped hiring at a rate that makes the private sector look like America's post-Ron Paul economy. A lot of public interest, prosecution, public defender jobs don't hire for a very long time, probably not for another year and a half for current 2Ls. Thus, anyone who didn't do big law and is still planning on PI probably has some trepidation. Maybe they aren't regretting things, but they at least have some worries.

Or, we could always get no offered and thus everyone is scared. Also, now that we're T7, they ought to at least double tuition. It's called supply and demand and it's science.

Yeah, I think I'm going to come out of self-imposed exile for this one.

As someone who is strictly doing PI and knows others who are similar, I'd say the level of trepidation in the 2L class of that group isn't that high since most seemed to get something. The only thing that I'd worry about if anyone was interested in PI stuff would be something you would experience at any school except HYS at this point; the job you have your 2L summer just doesn't have the same import as someone going the firm route and absolutely doesn't mean that you'll be offered there after 3L. Are things a little more nerve-wracking knowing that you'll have to hustle when folks that have offers don't? Yeah...but that's how its going to be for a PI guy whether you go to UVA or not. And that LRAP is pretty nice.

One day I will turn you to the dark side.

[posted from Caplin Auditorium :P]

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:36 pm

What do you all recommend for us ASW people to do this weekend? I personally won't be arriving until pretty late Thursday so I'll be missing the BBQ and libel show :( but I'm hoping to go out Friday for a drink and want to check out the town Saturday. What are the best places to check out in a short amount of time?

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:47 pm

thesealocust wrote:I'm not kidding! I think we've given PILA something north of 15 grand over the past decade.

By given to PILA, you mean given to UVA students that would otherwise be free summer labor because they 1) (more likely option) could not find a firm/paying job, or
2) (MUCH LESS LIKELY OPTION!) prefer to work in public interest

???

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”