UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thesealocust

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:15 am

I enjoy how many different people I have now heard the "[desertlaw] go home!" story from now.

Also good bye feb club ;_;

Edit: Also, breaking news I know, but why did God put tequila on this earth but to punish us?

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:29 pm

thesealocust wrote:I enjoy how many different people I have now heard the "[desertlaw] go home!" story from now.

Edit: Also, breaking news I know, but why did God put tequila on this earth but to punish us?

Doritos and I show up and see Sealocust and go: "Just imagine how miserable his life will be this time next year. Good for him for enjoying his tequila tonight." Then we realized we weren't far behind him.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:41 pm

thesealocust wrote:I enjoy how many different people I have now heard the "[desertlaw] go home!" story from now.

Since everyone seems to know you, mind saying where you are working next year, thesealocust.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:45 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:

Since everyone seems to know you, mind saying where you are working next year, thesealocust.

He's working at Howrey LLP.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:03 pm

Cavalier wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:

He's working at Howrey LLP.

I think he was poached by Allen, Allen, Allen, Allen, Allen, Allen, & Allen.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:31 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Since everyone seems to know you, mind saying where you are working next year, thesealocust.

After I graduate I'm going to drug run on the Mexican border until Johnny Law catches up to me then flee to an island and do boating tours or rent out jet skis.

desertlaw wrote:Doritos and I show up and see Sealocust and go: "Just imagine how miserable his life will be this time next year. Good for him for enjoying his tequila tonight." Then we realized we weren't far behind him.

It won't be miserable, you're forgetting about the self-loathing!

Also tequila isn't something one enjoys so much as it is something that one endures, or has happen to them, or struggles to overcome.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:18 pm

thesealocust wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Since everyone seems to know you, mind saying where you are working next year, thesealocust.

After I graduate I'm going to drug run on the Mexican border until Johnny Law catches up to me then flee to an island and do boating tours or rent out jet skis.

desertlaw wrote:Doritos and I show up and see Sealocust and go: "Just imagine how miserable his life will be this time next year. Good for him for enjoying his tequila tonight." Then we realized we weren't far behind him.

It won't be miserable, you're forgetting about the self-loathing!

Also tequila isn't something one enjoys so much as it is something that one endures, or has happen to them, or struggles to overcome.

You obviously havent had Don Julio, it is actually pretty smooth! Puts Patron to shame

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:25 pm

Oh I definitely like good tequila (I love making margaritas from high end tequila, freshly squeezed limes, and freshly created simple syrup).

But that's not the kind of tequila that happens before, during, or after feb club ;_;

;_;

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:13 pm

Is the UVA email through gmail only?

pjo

Postby pjo » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:04 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Is the UVA email through gmail only?

I think you can also do it through another service (maybe hotmail/outlook). I would suggest doing it through gmail though, because ppl will send you stuff through google docs (stuff from PAs, your Dillard Fellows, journal tryout etc.). If you don't set up with gmail, you're going to want to get a gmail account anyway for that reason.

Seneca

Postby Seneca » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:41 pm

Have you already received information re: setting up your UVA email? If so, when? I haven't heard anything about that yet.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:38 pm

pjo wrote:

I think you can also do it through another service (maybe hotmail/outlook). I would suggest doing it through gmail though, because ppl will send you stuff through google docs (stuff from PAs, your Dillard Fellows, journal tryout etc.). If you don't set up with gmail, you're going to want to get a gmail account anyway for that reason.

The above is correct - you will need a google account even if your UVA email isn't through this. If you want to use your own email client, say Outlook or Thunderbird, you can set that up to collect your email from google..

If you have an existing email account with Google or another web based service, you should be able to set it up to collect your UVA stuff, and possibly even send using your virginia.edu address. If not, you can do this with your Virginia gmail account, letting it collect mail from your other account and send using your other email address.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:45 am

Seneca wrote:

Have you already received information re: setting up your UVA email? If so, when? I haven't heard anything about that yet.

Found info on registering for a .edu through the SIS page when I checked my scholarship info. Not sure if you are required to pay your seat deposit before

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:48 am

My scholly package is a bit lower than a few other applicants that have identical or slightly lower numbers (my guess is because I'm ED while the others are RD). Is there any risk in asking for more $? I know they recalculate awards early April and thought I'd mention something.

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:29 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:My scholly package is a bit lower than a few other applicants that have identical or slightly lower numbers (my guess is because I'm ED while the others are RD). Is there any risk in asking for more $? I know they recalculate awards early April and thought I'd mention something.

Any risk? Of course not - they're hardly going to rescind their offer.

Any chance of success? Unlikely, sorry. You're probably amongst a very exclusive group of ED applicants to even receive an award.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:10 pm

Thanks again for taking questions. Anyone receiving both merit & need based aid?

aes6b

Postby aes6b » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:58 pm

I have a question about aid as well...I just received a pretty significant scholarship to Vandy (95k) and I have acceptances from peer schools (with no schollys yet), do you guys think I could negotiate any money from UVA with that since, as of now, they're not offering me anything?

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:43 pm

aes6b wrote:I have a question about aid as well...I just received a pretty significant scholarship to Vandy (95k) and I have acceptances from peer schools (with no schollys yet), do you guys think I could negotiate any money from UVA with that since, as of now, they're not offering me anything?

It certainly wouldn't hurt to try. Also, what are your career goals? Depending upon that it could be wise to take handy w/ $$$ or it could be insanely stupid.

aes6b

Postby aes6b » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:52 pm

Ideally, big law for a few years to pay off loans (DC preferably) and then something with gov't.
I'm also in-state, if that changes anything...

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:59 pm

aes6b wrote:Ideally, big law for a few years to pay off loans (DC preferably) and then something with gov't.
I'm also in-state, if that changes anything...

Well if that's your career goal then you should take UVa or another T14 over Vandy, pretty much regardless of scholarship $$$

roddy4

Postby roddy4 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 pm

I'm currently looking at apartments and was wondering if anyone knows anything about Eagles Landing. I know its a bit of a drive from the law school. I'm just curious if anyone has/knows anyone who has any experience with the property (safe area, etc.) Thanks

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:50 pm

roddy4 wrote:I'm currently looking at apartments and was wondering if anyone knows anything about Eagles Landing. I know its a bit of a drive from the law school. I'm just curious if anyone has/knows anyone who has any experience with the property (safe area, etc.) Thanks

From what I've heard, it's a paradise for raucous undergrads and generally not a law student place. Better off looking at Woodlands or Jefferson Ridge if you want to live out there.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:08 pm

gladiator wrote:
roddy4 wrote:I'm currently looking at apartments and was wondering if anyone knows anything about Eagles Landing. I know its a bit of a drive from the law school. I'm just curious if anyone has/knows anyone who has any experience with the property (safe area, etc.) Thanks

From what I've heard, it's a paradise for raucous undergrads and generally not a law student place. Better off looking at Woodlands or Jefferson Ridge if you want to live out there.

A paradise for raucous undergrads might be exactly what some people are looking for.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:21 pm

Lots of places. Anyone hear of GrandMarc at the Corner, Abbington Crossing (next to brick and mortar mall), Westgate (on Hydraulic Rd.), or Preston Square (on Rugby Rd./Preston Ave.)?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:45 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Lots of places. Anyone hear of GrandMarc at the Corner, Abbington Crossing (next to brick and mortar mall), Westgate (on Hydraulic Rd.), or Preston Square (on Rugby Rd./Preston Ave.)?

Abington Crossing doesn't have the best residents, it's kind of slummy. A prostitution ring got busted there last year.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”