UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
vanwinkle

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:02 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:Okay, but the "really" was more like would I really be able to hail a cab or arrange for one to pick me up that early. I always drove home from Ann Arbor (similar town to Charlottesville I'm assuming) but my friends who had early flights to go home would have to call at least 2 cab companies bc one was sure to screw you over and not show up.

Thanks for the info.

Edit: Will there be a bus/shuttle I can take from the airport to campus when I land. I'll be around around 2ish on Thursday.

Haha, I totally misread what you were questioning. Sure, for a 6:45 flight you'll probably wanna be getting a cab at about 5AM, they're still taking drunk kids home from parties at that hour so there should be plenty around. You can call and schedule it in advance and there are a couple cab companies that are known as reputable to the [strike]drunks[/strike]students here.

EDIT: If I don't have class on Thursday at that time, I can come pick you up. Lemme check my schedule.

EDIT 2: Nope, no bus that runs to the airport. :? This really is southern public transit. How can they not have a bus that runs to the airport? Right now though I don't have class then, I may change my class schedule depending on if I get off a WL this week, I'll let you know.

triplecats

Postby triplecats » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:21 pm

For various reasons, I am not going to be able to get my parents' financial info. (They will not give it to me, period. No negotiation possible.) Will I still be eligible for merit-based aid of some kind?

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:18 pm

triplecats wrote:For various reasons, I am not going to be able to get my parents' financial info. (They will not give it to me, period. No negotiation possible.) Will I still be eligible for merit-based aid of some kind?

Most likely, yes . . . The one important question is whether you are a dependent or independent? If you're a dependent, you're going to run into lots of problems filling out the forms . . . if you're independent, you should be fine; just call financial aid office and explain your situation. In my situation, I decided it was easier to call my parents to get the information than to call financial aid.

Postby 02082010 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:23 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Okay, but the "really" was more like would I really be able to hail a cab or arrange for one to pick me up that early. I always drove home from Ann Arbor (similar town to Charlottesville I'm assuming) but my friends who had early flights to go home would have to call at least 2 cab companies bc one was sure to screw you over and not show up.

Thanks for the info.

Edit: Will there be a bus/shuttle I can take from the airport to campus when I land. I'll be around around 2ish on Thursday.

Haha, I totally misread what you were questioning. Sure, for a 6:45 flight you'll probably wanna be getting a cab at about 5AM, they're still taking drunk kids home from parties at that hour so there should be plenty around. You can call and schedule it in advance and there are a couple cab companies that are known as reputable to the [strike]drunks[/strike]students here.

EDIT: If I don't have class on Thursday at that time, I can come pick you up. Lemme check my schedule.

EDIT 2: Nope, no bus that runs to the airport. :? This really is southern public transit. How can they not have a bus that runs to the airport? Right now though I don't have class then, I may change my class schedule depending on if I get off a WL this week, I'll let you know.

By WL I assume you mean from a class that's full? No big deal. I'm sure the cab ride won't be any more than $20.

Edit: Thx for the offer though.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:25 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:By WL I assume you mean from a class that's full? No big deal. I'm sure the cab ride won't be any more than $20.

Edit: Thx for the offer though.

Yeah, I mean from a class that's full. Just so you know, I think the cabs here impose a $17 minimum for trips starting at the airport.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:27 pm

I paid $25 (including a tip) when I took a cab from the airport into town, but it was at midnight.

Postby 02082010 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:42 pm

I'm sure they'll price gouge the shit out of all the 0Ls who they presume don't know better. I understand an airport fee but isn't it only like 8miles away? on what I would assume to be pretty traffic/congestion-free roads.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:47 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:I'm sure they'll price gouge the shit out of all the 0Ls who they presume don't know better. I understand an airport fee but isn't it only like 8miles away? on what I would assume to be pretty traffic/congestion-free roads.

@ 0500 they're traffic free . . . @ 1700, not so much . . . I think the fees have more to do with the inconvenience factor - at 0500, its unlikely that anyone will need to be picked up from the airport, so the entire distance back from the airport is wasted time/mileage

Postby 02082010 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:51 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:I'm sure they'll price gouge the shit out of all the 0Ls who they presume don't know better. I understand an airport fee but isn't it only like 8miles away? on what I would assume to be pretty traffic/congestion-free roads.

@ 0500 they're traffic free . . . @ 1700, not so much . . . I think the fees have more to do with the inconvenience factor - at 0500, its unlikely that anyone will need to be picked up from the airport, so the entire distance back from the airport is wasted time/mileage

I see. So taking a cab into town when I arrive on Thursday (around 2pm) will be cheaper than taking a cab out of town when I'm going back to the airport on Saturday (around 5am)? Makes sense.

To everyone else following this thread: Sry for wasting a page debating a $5 difference in cab fares.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:55 pm

To everyone else following this thread: Sry for wasting a page debating a $5 difference in cab fares.

Yeah, what's wrong with you anyway? This thread is for current 1Ls to discuss grades!!! :wink:

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:39 pm

Cavalier wrote:

Yeah, what's wrong with you anyway? This thread is for current 1Ls to discuss grades!!! :wink:

Since we're back on topic . . . how long till SIS updates again?!

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:50 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

I don't know, but I think we should take bets on which 1L professor will finish grades last. The ones I know of are Verkerke, O'Connell, and Coughlin. My money's on Verkerke.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:17 pm

Cavalier wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

I don't know, but I think we should take bets on which 1L professor will finish grades last. The ones I know of are Verkerke, O'Connell, and Coughlin. My money's on Verkerke.

O'Connell's evals have been up since yesterday . . . so you can scratch him from the list . . . from the career services emails, it sounds like they have been putting the pressure on the profs to get grades in early

triplecats

Postby triplecats » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:37 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
triplecats wrote:For various reasons, I am not going to be able to get my parents' financial info. (They will not give it to me, period. No negotiation possible.) Will I still be eligible for merit-based aid of some kind?

Most likely, yes . . . The one important question is whether you are a dependent or independent? If you're a dependent, you're going to run into lots of problems filling out the forms . . . if you're independent, you should be fine; just call financial aid office and explain your situation. In my situation, I decided it was easier to call my parents to get the information than to call financial aid.

Question... there was a poster above who said he had to get parental info but he was 28 and independent. Is that just for need-based loans?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:40 pm

triplecats wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

Question... there was a poster above who said he had to get parental info but he was 28 and independent. Is that just for need-based loans?

I'd love to send my parents' info, but our not talking is more I'm-trying-to-get-a-restraining-order sort than my-parents-are-just-private-people.

I recall the financial aid form being necessary to be considered for any financial aid, need or merit. Maybe I'm wrong though. Anyway, if there is any documentation relating to the restraining order (in other words, proof to the school that you are actually seeking a restraining order) I'm sure you'll be OK. UVA shouldn't expect info in that circumstance.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:41 pm

triplecats wrote:Question... there was a poster above who said he had to get parental info but he was 28 and independent. Is that just for need-based loans?

Parental info should only be necessary for need-based grants. If you contact them and sort it out I'm sure you could waive consideration for need-based aid and just request they consider you for merit aid and loans.

triplecats

Postby triplecats » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:47 pm

Thank you both. I think that providing finaid with ample documentation is my best financial bet at this point... it's just a huge can of worms I've been trying to forgot about for a while for obvious reasons.

Nonetheless... UVa, here I come! (hopefully)

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:51 pm

triplecats wrote:Thank you both. I think that providing finaid with ample documentation is my best financial bet at this point... it's just a huge can of worms I've been trying to forgot about for a while for obvious reasons.

Nonetheless... UVa, here I come! (hopefully)

Since you have serious problems with your parents, just talk to financial aid and have them walk you through the process . . . they're there to help you so take advantage of the resource!

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:26 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:29 pm

FeuerFrei wrote:Do UVA transcripts list your LSAT score and percentile on them?

god i hope not

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:37 pm

nm
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:40 pm

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:43 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

*bursts info laughter*

No :P

He means "no" they don't list your LSAT percentile. Instead, they list the percentile of your LSAT relative to your UVA Law peers.

shit

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:50 pm

$25 sounds about right for that trip for C'ville.

slider

Postby slider » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:53 pm

dgouzoul wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

*bursts info laughter*

No :P

He means "no" they don't list your LSAT percentile. Instead, they list the percentile of your LSAT relative to your UVA Law peers.

shit

Indeed.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”