UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
paulinaporizkova

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:59 pm

Doritos wrote:
ryemanhattan wrote:Hello! I'm coming to check out UVA Law and the Charlottesville area this week... I'm staying at the Cavalier Inn and will have a car. Ill be there Tuesday night-Thursday. Planning on touring the school, sitting in on classes, all the usual law school visit stuff. What should I be sure to check out while I'm there? Is there anything going on this week I should know about (ie interesting visiting lecturers, righteous mid-week parties, fox hunts, gladiatoral fights-to-the-death, etc)? Anyone want to buy me a drink?

Feb Club. Beer Run. Bodos. I'll let you know if I stumble upon any foxhunts

there was one in my property lecture last week (tee hee. #lawstudentsarentfunny)

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:03 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Doritos wrote:
ryemanhattan wrote:Hello! I'm coming to check out UVA Law and the Charlottesville area this week... I'm staying at the Cavalier Inn and will have a car. Ill be there Tuesday night-Thursday. Planning on touring the school, sitting in on classes, all the usual law school visit stuff. What should I be sure to check out while I'm there? Is there anything going on this week I should know about (ie interesting visiting lecturers, righteous mid-week parties, fox hunts, gladiatoral fights-to-the-death, etc)? Anyone want to buy me a drink?

there was one in my property lecture last week (tee hee. #lawstudentsarentfunny)

Goddammit, paulina.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:04 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
Doritos wrote:

Goddammit, paulina.

you mad cuz I stole your joke brah?

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:17 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Thank you for the response. Do you know anyone who currently does this commute? It looks to me like most places in Richmond takes about 1hr and 15-25 mins to get to. I dont know how hard this would be on someone. Would living 20 mins away from school (toawrd Richmond) be a good idea in this case?

I did this commute 2-3 times a week from July-September, and a similar one (Lynchburg) from then until the end of November. Neither drive is bad. I really enjoyed it, but I'm guessing that my experience is atypical because it was not every day and, more importantly, I was getting paid for the drive. If that weren't the case, I'd imagine that it would get old pretty quickly. Then again, folks in lots of metro areas have 75 minute (or longer) commutes, so maybe I'm just a wuss.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:32 pm

Still waiting on a grade lol.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:55 pm

Doritos wrote:Still waiting on a grade lol.

PR?

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Drink instead.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:22 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:

PR?

You know it.

desertlaw: let's do that together.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:19 pm

Drinking is a sin.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:55 pm

Spending $84 on a round of lemon drop shots is a sin.

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:20 pm

Cavalier wrote:Spending $84 on a round of lemon drop shots is a sin.

worth it

Cavalier's Liver

Postby Cavalier's Liver » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:43 pm

itsirtou wrote:

worth it

Disagree.

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:45 pm

Cavalier's Liver wrote:
itsirtou wrote:

worth it

Disagree.

i am sorry for your loss

chesterfan1230

Postby chesterfan1230 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:39 pm

Does anyone know of incidents or situations where the school allowed a student to retake the LSAT in June for Scholarship Money? I Got in but underperformed on the December LSAT. I got in VIA ED.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:05 am

chesterfan1230 wrote:Does anyone know of incidents or situations where the school allowed a student to retake the LSAT in June for Scholarship Money? I Got in but underperformed on the December LSAT. I got in VIA ED.

fwiw I retook in Dec after being admitted and received decent $. I am inclined to think that June is too late to receive merit, however. Nevertheless the only cost would be the $ to register for June and the possible studying time for June. Plus if you ace it in June you can sit out a year

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:31 pm

chesterfan1230 wrote:Does anyone know of incidents or situations where the school allowed a student to retake the LSAT in June for Scholarship Money? I Got in but underperformed on the December LSAT. I got in VIA ED.

If you got in ED you have next to no leverage with admissions. Your chance of getting money is very slim for two reasons - you can't go anywhere else, and the budget has all been awarded to other students.

If you were willing to sit it out for a year, you could sit the LSAT in June and if you ace it, withdraw (at a cost of $1,000 in lost deposit) and hope you get a scholarship by applying RD next year.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:59 pm

albanach wrote:

If you got in ED you have next to no leverage with admissions. Your chance of getting money is very slim for two reasons - you can't go anywhere else, and the budget has all been awarded to other students.

If you were willing to sit it out for a year, you could sit the LSAT in June and if you ace it, withdraw (at a cost of $1,000 in lost deposit) and hope you get a scholarship by applying RD next year.

Um. I doubt if UVA would admit someone who had accepted ED the prior cycle and withdrew at the last possible moment.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:07 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
albanach wrote:Um. I doubt if UVA would admit someone who had accepted ED the prior cycle and withdrew at the last possible moment.

Assuming scores are out before July, I don't think it's really the last possible minute, and if the OP underperformed I'd expect the school can replace them from the WL with another candidate that has comparable numbers and is happy to pay sticker. There's still be six or seven weeks before terms starts, and the school gets an extra $1,000 for its hard work.

I'd talk to admissions though so they understand your reasoning. I believe they've been understandable about this stuff in the past, albeit earlier in the year.

chesterfan1230

Postby chesterfan1230 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:40 am

albanach wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
albanach wrote:Um. I doubt if UVA would admit someone who had accepted ED the prior cycle and withdrew at the last possible moment.

Assuming scores are out before July, I don't think it's really the last possible minute, and if the OP underperformed I'd expect the school can replace them from the WL with another candidate that has comparable numbers and is happy to pay sticker. There's still be six or seven weeks before terms starts, and the school gets an extra $1,000 for its hard work.

I'd talk to admissions though so they understand your reasoning. I believe they've been understandable about this stuff in the past, albeit earlier in the year.

Yeah, I'm not going to withdraw if I don't get a chance to get scholarship money. But I did email the office to see if I can.... Let's see. I doubt it though, July is way too late.

Ignatius

Postby Ignatius » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:01 am

to any current/admitted students:

I just made the wait-list after I applied ED late in January, and I feel like I'm in uncharted waters: White M, Undergrad, No Super Soft ECs/WE, No non-trad (ie not ex military), with a 155/163/158 LSATs (practiced 165-172, did not perform so on test days), LSAC 3.24/UGPA 3.47.

I've checked LSN, and there's only (1) person I noticed who fit something similar and they applied in like 2003. Given that LSN is a relatively small sample often geared towards higher achieving applicants, would any of you all know if the school takes a couple dark horse student(s) each year based more on personal statements (*the only possible reason I can see there being for them to WL me; it's hard to objectively say one's story is compelling, but that's the inference I draw).

Appreciate any info, thoughts, opinions

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:03 am

Given your GPA, if you can crush the June LSAT (i.e. 170+), you can expect decent money at UVa's peer schools next cycle. I wouldn't expect it at UVa, though. You're essentially gaming the ED process, and I doubt our admissions department would look too favorably upon that. Which is not to say you shouldn't do it if you're not dead set on being a Lawhoo. Getting a year's worth of job experience and reducing the cost of your legal education by $75,000 or so would certainly change your short/medium-term career options.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:27 pm

Ignatius wrote:to any current/admitted students:

I just made the wait-list after I applied ED late in January, and I feel like I'm in uncharted waters: White M, Undergrad, No Super Soft ECs/WE, No non-trad (ie not ex military), with a 155/163/158 LSATs (practiced 165-172, did not perform so on test days), LSAC 3.24/UGPA 3.47.

I've checked LSN, and there's only (1) person I noticed who fit something similar and they applied in like 2003. Given that LSN is a relatively small sample often geared towards higher achieving applicants, would any of you all know if the school takes a couple dark horse student(s) each year based more on personal statements (*the only possible reason I can see there being for them to WL me; it's hard to objectively say one's story is compelling, but that's the inference I draw).

UVA has a strange habit of placing basically everyone on the wait list, we call it a "soft reject." I wouldn't expect to be hearing good news from UVA given those numbers. The brutal truth is it's very surprising they didn't reject you straight out.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:29 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:

UVA has a strange habit of placing basically everyone on the wait list, we call it a "soft reject." I wouldn't expect to be hearing good news from UVA given those numbers. The brutal truth is it's very surprising they didn't reject you straight out.

I concur in the result and the reason of this post.

Ignatius

Postby Ignatius » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:28 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:

haha, I don't think you need to qualify truth with "brutal"--there's no doubt my numbers just don't match with UVA's typical student profile. So I, too, was (very) surprised, though certainly happy, that they WL'ed me. That said I know that a "soft reject" is the most likely possibility, and I don't expect any news better than what I already received. However, as someone who could probably attest to how great UVA is as a school, experience, I assume that you'd likely agree it'd be foolish not to give things a shot, right? I understand if there are some people who didn't get in, or even those who did, who may resent the fact I even got WL'ed; nonetheless, I would appreciate any constructive input.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:40 pm

Ignatius wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:

haha, I don't think you need to qualify truth with "brutal"--there's no doubt my numbers just don't match with UVA's typical student profile. So I, too, was (very) surprised, though certainly happy, that they WL'ed me. That said I know that a "soft reject" is the most likely possibility, and I don't expect any news better than what I already received. However, as someone who could probably attest to how great UVA is as a school, experience, I assume that you'd likely agree it'd be foolish not to give things a shot, right? I understand if there are some people who didn't get in, or even those who did, who may resent the fact I even got WL'ed; nonetheless, I would appreciate any constructive input.

I'm not really sure what input you're looking for here. Remaining on the wait list is costless, so there's no reason for you to ask to be removed from it. Sure, send in a letter re-affirming your interest, visit if you want, but that's about it. There's no more "input" to give, really.

Stay on the wait list, but recognize the fact that admission from the wait list is very unlikely, in light of a) how many people are on the wait list (a lot), b) how many people get off the wait list (not many), and c) your admissions profile (very weak relative to UVA)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”