UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dailygrind

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby dailygrind » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:35 pm

I could not read that.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:07 pm

I did not read that.

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:23 pm

Gipper wrote:So clearly a scowl, or an overheard offensive joke, aren't the core of a grade.

stop there

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:24 pm

I'm trying (and failing) to unread that.

Heat

Postby Heat » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:31 pm

dailygrind wrote:I could not read that.

I concur.

Writing skills are probably have a lot more correlation to grades then "offensive overheard jokes".

pjo

Postby pjo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:14 pm

Can anyone recommend a good evidence supplement for Mitchell's class? Dude goes super fast through everything in class.

t-ender

Postby t-ender » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:46 pm

Have any 1Ls heard from Winter OGI firms about whether they were preselected for an interview yet?

Gipper

Postby Gipper » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:15 pm

:roll: Cavalier, thanks again for answering my question. I did not intend to put everyone's panties in a bunch with what I said. If my point came off as saying that smart work isn't the foundation of a good grade, I didn't mean for it to. TLS agrees with reality on this and great 'how to' strategies abound. Cavalier contributes to this info, I've done well because of it. But rest assured that every last one of you are smarter than I and sleep well tonight my fellow Hoosters.

I thought what Cavalier pointed out was useful. That doesn't change the fact that my face is a horrid cross between Michael Moore, Jack Nicholson, and Jocelyn Wildenstein. My hair is a unique blend of Donald Trump, Don King, and Chuck Norris. I have man boobs and sweat through my nipples. I thought my point could help future generations of hideous looking UVA gunners correctly swing off their professors' nut-sacks into top 10% glory. I hope it does.

Please accept this poor wayfaring man of grief's sincerest apologies to any law review students whom I have slighted or discounted in anyway by commingling my message with egos much more valuable than my own. To all others, we can settle this at Boylan Heights. I'm the angry looking fat guy.

turkeysub

Postby turkeysub » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Nope, but career services' email from a week ago said it should happen sometime today through Friday, so hopefully soon.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:33 pm

Gipper wrote::roll: Cavalier, thanks again for answering my question. I did not intend to put everyone's panties in a bunch with what I said. If my point came off as saying that smart work isn't the foundation of a good grade, I didn't mean for it to. TLS agrees with reality on this and great 'how to' strategies abound. Cavalier contributes to this info, I've done well because of it. But rest assured that every last one of you are smarter than I and sleep well tonight my fellow Hoosters.

I thought what Cavalier pointed out was useful. That doesn't change the fact that my face is a horrid cross between Michael Moore, Jack Nicholson, and Jocelyn Wildenstein. My hair is a unique blend of Donald Trump, Don King, and Chuck Norris. I have man boobs and sweat through my nipples. I thought my point could help future generations of hideous looking UVA gunners correctly swing off their professors' nut-sacks into top 10% glory. I hope it does.

Please accept this poor wayfaring man of grief's sincerest apologies to any law review students whom I have slighted or discounted in anyway by commingling my message with egos much more valuable than my own. To all others, we can settle this at Boylan Heights. I'm the angry looking fat guy.

+1 for the gipper?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:50 pm

It occurs to me that this is the last semester for many of our 3L posters, and I'd like to take a moment to both thank you all and ask if there were any classes you would recommend we take before we leave, for whatever reason (and uh...if there are any classes that are particularly easy).

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:50 pm

dailygrind wrote:It occurs to me that this is the last semester for many of our 3L posters, and I'd like to take a moment to both thank you all and ask if there were any classes you would recommend we take before we leave, for whatever reason (and uh...if there are any classes that are particularly easy).

Or any that we should avoid like that plague?

esq

Postby esq » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:30 pm

Law Sauce wrote:What about for Property with Stephen?

+1 - Any suggestions on a good case summary book for this class would be great. I think he's using a different casebook than he did last year, so the SBA outlines don't look promising.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:20 am

How do i not have my grades?

chem

Postby chem » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:22 am

Any TLSers going to host on ASW?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:24 am

dailygrind wrote:It occurs to me that this is the last semester for many of our 3L posters, and I'd like to take a moment to both thank you all and ask if there were any classes you would recommend we take before we leave, for whatever reason (and uh...if there are any classes that are particularly easy).

Disclaimer: The following is opinion only, and I didn't follow all of the advice myself. Hopefully it will be a guiding light in the quest for laziness.

Thesealocust's Great Municipal Guide To Doing As Little Work As Possible At UVA Law And Avoiding Obnoxious Class Mates In The Process:

* Avoid: Legislation, Federal Courts, Federal Income Tax, Jurisprudence, advanced con law courses taught by popular professors, any class taught by Caleb Nelson, the supreme court or appellate litigation clinics, courses about the Supreme Court.

* Take: Oral advocacy courses, case file method courses, a seminar in ethical values (you can only do one; do it 3L year; make sure you rank the one(s) you want first in the lottery), lecture courses with profs who don't take attendance or cold call and have good outlines available, negotiation institute, JAG school courses, corporate focused courses (corporate professors give way fewer shits as a whole and the people in the classes tend not to be the "BUT WHERE DO WE DRAW THE LINE!?!?!!1" type).

* Search Out: Homework seminars. Every semester a few seminars have no paper or exam but instead require occasional response papers. I cannot overstate how much easier it is to write a total of ~25 pages worth of response papers over a semester than it is to write a 25 page academic research paper.

* Use Caution When Taking: Clinics (some are almost no work, some are much more brutal than credit hours would suggest), accounting & corporate finance (problem sets and math - here be dragons), practitioner-taught courses (hit or miss on workload and intensity), courses taught by anybody who is or was a dean (can attract gunners into really random subjects).

* Consider: Directed or independent study with a professor who is as checked out of the process as you are (you'll know it when you see it), j-term courses (easy way to rack up the credits)

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:30 am

thesealocust wrote:

* Avoid: Legislation, Federal Courts, Federal Income Tax, Jurisprudence, advanced con law courses taught by popular professors, any class taught by Caleb Nelson, the supreme court or appellate litigation clinics, courses about the Supreme Court.

* Take: Oral advocacy courses, case file method courses, a seminar in ethical values (you can only do one; do it 3L year; make sure you rank the one(s) you want first in the lottery), lecture courses with profs who don't take attendance or cold call and have good outlines available, negotiation institute, JAG school courses, corporate focused courses (corporate professors give way fewer shits as a whole and the people in the classes tend not to be the "BUT WHERE DO WE DRAW THE LINE!?!?!!1" type)

I would recommend the opposite.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:32 am

Also, go ahead and avoid any class that Cavalier is looking to take or that he mentions (a) being prestigious, (b) having a prestigious professor, or (c) being a prestigious subject matter.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:48 am

thesealocust wrote:Also, go ahead and avoid any class that Cavalier is looking to take or that he mentions (a) being prestigious, (b) having a prestigious professor, or (c) being a prestigious subject matter.

I would do the opposite of this too.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:14 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:How do i not have my grades?

Some folk in our 1L class are awaiting official LRW grades - apparently they have been submitted but there's an unspecified problem with SIS that has an unknown resolution date.

Hardly an issue for LRW, but the SIS problem that might be a factor for others classes too.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:22 pm

thesealocust wrote:

Disclaimer: The following is opinion only, and I didn't follow all of the advice myself. Hopefully it will be a guiding light in the quest for laziness.

Thesealocust's Great Municipal Guide To Doing As Little Work As Possible At UVA Law And Avoiding Obnoxious Class Mates In The Process:

* Take: Oral advocacy courses, case file method courses, a seminar in ethical values (you can only do one; do it 3L year; make sure you rank the one(s) you want first in the lottery), lecture courses with profs who don't take attendance or cold call and have good outlines available, negotiation institute, JAG school courses, corporate focused courses (corporate professors give way fewer shits as a whole and the people in the classes tend not to be the "BUT WHERE DO WE DRAW THE LINE!?!?!!1" type).

* Search Out: Homework seminars. Every semester a few seminars have no paper or exam but instead require occasional response papers. I cannot overstate how much easier it is to write a total of ~25 pages worth of response papers over a semester than it is to write a 25 page academic research paper.

* Use Caution When Taking: Clinics (some are almost no work, some are much more brutal than credit hours would suggest), accounting & corporate finance (problem sets and math - here be dragons), practitioner-taught courses (hit or miss on workload and intensity), courses taught by anybody who is or was a dean (can attract gunners into really random subjects).

* Consider: Directed or independent study with a professor who is as checked out of the process as you are (you'll know it when you see it), j-term courses (easy way to rack up the credits)

*If you have a job.
Also, case file method is kind of a weird class and I don't think its for everyone. I found Leslie to be insufferable but most others enjoyed it.

616rewind

Postby 616rewind » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:25 pm

Any advice for interviewing in a location that I have absolutely no ties to for Winter OGI? Does getting a pre-select mean anything? I assume these firms aren't hiring a lot of 1Ls.
Last edited by 616rewind on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:27 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will certainly keep it in mind as I proceed in my quest to work efficiently.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:06 pm

I interviewed with a few places last year that I had never visited or even considered living in full-time.
You can be honest and say: I know that 2L summer is usually the time where you need to decide where you want to end up, but I'm really interested in your city and would love to try it for my 1L summer. I've heard great things about your city such as XYZ, blah, etc.

Or you can say something about wanting to not go back home and that you're open to a new city for starting your career, a place like YOUR CITY, YOU WONDERFUL OGI INTERVIEWER.

(If you're an absolute stud with grades/interview/softs, then maybe they take a risk on you, but I'm guessing they'll have other good candidates with better ties that would more realistically come to the firm after graduation)

I think realistically you just look at it as a great opportunity for an interview. I remember being super nervous for 1L OGI interviews, but it's good experience to get you somewhat prepared for 2L OGI process.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:23 pm

Anyone in PR with Ryan right now? I just got in off the waitlist, but I'm a little creeped out by how much fluctuation there's been. Does it seem like it's going to be a hellish class or something?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”