UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jawsthegreat

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby jawsthegreat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:50 pm

Itd be nice to get a grade at some point

cascaderidge

Postby cascaderidge » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:23 pm

Does anyone know if Professor Kordana is actually going to ban laptops for Corporations? He hasn't banned them in the past, and the no-laptop policy hasn't showed up in any of his other course descriptions (Nonprofit Organizations, Contracts) this year.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:16 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Itd be nice to get a grade at some point

I took 5 classes and not a single grade is posted (I think, this is just based off of what other people in the class have told me).

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:19 pm

cascaderidge wrote:Does anyone know if Professor Kordana is actually going to ban laptops for Corporations? He hasn't banned them in the past, and the no-laptop policy hasn't showed up in any of his other course descriptions (Nonprofit Organizations, Contracts) this year.

I think that's left over from a past course description for a different professor. I would put the odds at 1% that he bans laptops.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:37 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Insurance, Banking & Financial Inst., Corps, and Construction law. Only 8 class periods per week. #winning

7 credits of Leslie, 1 credit of seminar in ethical values, and a seminar with a suspiciously board game based syllabus. WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:19 pm

thesealocust wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:Insurance, Banking & Financial Inst., Corps, and Construction law. Only 8 class periods per week. #winning

7 credits of Leslie, 1 credit of seminar in ethical values, and a seminar with a suspiciously board game based syllabus. WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?

What seminar!!!

616rewind

Postby 616rewind » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:58 pm

so is a ~3.55 something like top 15/20%

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:01 pm

616rewind wrote:so is a ~3.55 something like top 15/20%

Closer to 20 than 15, but yep right around there.

616rewind

Postby 616rewind » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:14 pm

5ky wrote:
616rewind wrote:so is a ~3.55 something like top 15/20%

Closer to 20 than 15, but yep right around there.

thanks.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:53 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:0L heading to C'ville next year. What is the reasonable ceiling of student orgs to be a part of as a 1L. Also, anyone in or know members of the Racuqet Club? In addition, do any of you remember when you received your .edu email address? Thanks.

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:41 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:0L heading to C'ville next year. What is the reasonable ceiling of student orgs to be a part of as a 1L. Also, anyone in or know members of the Racuqet Club? In addition, do any of you remember when you received your .edu email address? Thanks.

I think we got our email addresses 72 hours after paying our first deposit.

I don't think the number of clubs matters, rather what matters is if they expect you to do stuff for them. The volume of work they require from you is the limiting factor.

Gipper

Postby Gipper » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:01 pm

Can anybody say if blind grading really means "blind grading" around here? I can't find the procedure for this on the website, hoped someone would know how it works.

1) I'm good with it if, 1st, the test is graded. 2nd, the test is matched with the number. 3rd, professor enters class participation grade after blind grade has been submitted. 4th, both scores are tallied and, presto, there's your grade.

2) I'm not good with it if, 1st, the test is graded. 2nd, the test is matched with name. 3rd, professor thinks about what she wants to do. 4th, you get your "blind" grade entered next to name.

I ask because we are allowed to compare what we did to a model answer, everything seems to square, and yet I have no indications on the test about what happened besides some pencil marks and corrected apostrophes. My point, if the method follows approach (2) it is not in line with a blind grading system at all. If you want to avoid a situation where a student or dean questions why a test doesn't align with a letter grade you just don't mark the test with any grade indication. You can say whatever you need to at that point.

So if if someone can tell me how the blind grading system works, I can know if I need to treat it like my undergrad in poly sci (e.g. If (2), then I will start browning my nose or taking mushroom stamps to the face with the best of them. Office hours, lunches, gunning in class, whatever it takes to get the edge.)

What I do know is I wasn't particularly fond of this professor. Who knows if she knew. However, I have been told that I have an "angry" face. So picture a Newt, sitting directly in line with the teachers view, two rows up. I never reached out to the professor in any meaningful way, laughed about jokes about readings before and after class like the rest of them. And I have questions now.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:13 pm

Gipper wrote:Can anybody say if blind grading really means "blind grading" around here? I can't find the procedure for this on the website, hoped someone would know how it works.

1) I'm good with it if, 1st, the test is graded. 2nd, the test is matched with the number. 3rd, professor enters class participation grade after blind grade has been submitted. 4th, both scores are tallied and, presto, there's your grade.

2) I'm not good with it if, 1st, the test is graded. 2nd, the test is matched with name. 3rd, professor thinks about what she wants to do. 4th, you get your "blind" grade entered next to name.

I ask because we are allowed to compare what we did to a model answer, everything seems to square, and yet I have no indications on the test about what happened besides some pencil marks and corrected apostrophes. My point, if the method follows approach (2) it is not in line with a blind grading system at all. If you want to avoid a situation where a student or dean questions why a test doesn't align with a letter grade you just don't mark the test with any grade indication. You can say whatever you need to at that point.

So if if someone can tell me how the blind grading system works, I can know if I need to treat it like my undergrad in poly sci (e.g. If (2), then I will start browning my nose or taking mushroom stamps to the face with the best of them. Office hours, lunches, gunning in class, whatever it takes to get the edge.)

What I do know is I wasn't particularly fond of this professor. Who knows if she knew. However, I have been told that I have an "angry" face. So picture a Newt, sitting directly in line with the teachers view, two rows up. I never reached out to the professor in any meaningful way, laughed about jokes about readings before and after class like the rest of them. And I have questions now.

Don't know anything about your question, but the bolded made me laugh.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:15 pm

Gipper wrote:Can anybody say if blind grading really means "blind grading" around here? I can't find the procedure for this on the website, hoped someone would know how it works.

I do not know the procedure on this, I will say that first. But I will also say that there is very little to be gained here, and you should tread somewhat carefully. It is incredibly unlikely that a professor docked you a number of levels because you sat and looked angry. Do not ever say something like this during OGI, or even insinuate it.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:42 pm

(2) is correct; the professor grades the exams, then the exam grade each student receives is revealed, and then the professor can make adjustments as necessary before submitting final course grades. But most professors don't bother to make adjustments for participation, and those that do have very strict limits. One that I spoke to said she might raise a B to a B+ or a B+ to an A-, but never an A- to an A, and this will occur for at most two or three students in a 90 person class if the curve will allow for it. It's much rarer for a professor to actually lower grades--I doubt any professor would lower a student's grade just to counteract a participation increase for another student. So it's ridiculous to think that making a poor impression on your professor negatively affected your grade, and it's probably not worth your time to attempt to impress your professor. Just focus on studying.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:12 am

Cavalier wrote:

(2) is correct; the professor grades the exams, then the exam grade each student receives is revealed, and then the professor can make adjustments as necessary before submitting final course grades. But most professors don't bother to make adjustments for participation, and those that do have very strict limits. One that I spoke to said she might raise a B to a B+ or B+ to an A-, but never an A- to an A, and this will occur for at most two or three students in a 90 person class if the curve will allow for it. It's much rarer for a professor to actually lower grades--I doubt any professor would lower a student's grade just to counteract a participation increase for another student. So it's ridiculous to think that making a poor impression on your professor negatively affected your grade, and it's probably not worth your time to attempt to impress your professor. Just focus on studying.

At what point during this timeline does Cary Bennett slow things down or change the grades? maybe he's around tonight on the message board to answer this for us?
Last edited by desertlaw on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:12 am

Does anyone have suggestions on a good property supplement for the Dukeminier casebook? I have Johnson for Property, if that makes a difference.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:30 am

I used Gilberts since Krier wrote it (I think Dukeminier authored another year's edition). There was a lot of overlap. I liked Understanding Property when exams were close. I did not have Johnson.

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:33 am

Puttanesca wrote:Does anyone have suggestions on a good property supplement for the Dukeminier casebook? I have Johnson for Property, if that makes a difference.

I did have Johnson, and hands down, without a doubt, the best supplement for his class is Understanding Property Law by John G. Sprankling (LexisNexis, second edition). This is actually the book that he himself recommended to the class, and it is perfectly in tune with his take on Property.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:22 am

What about for Property with Stephen?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:31 pm

Law Sauce wrote:What about for Property with Stephen?

Understanding Property by Sprankling is generally TCR in most circumstances.

Gipper

Postby Gipper » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:02 pm

Cavalier wrote:(2) is correct; the professor grades the exams, then the exam grade each student receives is revealed, and then the professor can make adjustments as necessary before submitting final course grades. But most professors don't bother to make adjustments for participation, and those that do have very strict limits. One that I spoke to said she might raise a B to a B+ or a B+ to an A-, but never an A- to an A, and this will occur for at most two or three students in a 90 person class if the curve will allow for it. It's much rarer for a professor to actually lower grades--I doubt any professor would lower a student's grade just to counteract a participation increase for another student. So it's ridiculous to think that making a poor impression on your professor negatively affected your grade, and it's probably not worth your time to attempt to impress your professor. Just focus on studying.

Most assuredly, I don't want to be 'ridiculous.' So to be clear:

(Step 2) 1. Graded, 2. Next, 'the exam grade each student receives is revealed' (subjectively, in the professors head), 3. Then, professor finds out who you are and the subjective grade is made objective for the first and only time. I will discount any ideas of whether a professor might match the names before grading as beyond the pale.

For the 'blind grading' system to exist when following step 2, we must suppose Professor Thumbdrive accurately transfers the file 'revealed grade' from her memory. At this point, all human psychological tendencies based on perceptions that might unintentionally affect accuracy, which is indeed why a blind grading system is implemented, are removed from the equation when she associates the still subjective grade with you. We then trust that the 'blind' grade remains truly blind as she sits in front of an SIS window on her computer and her finger hits one of five letters and the word "Enter' on her keyboard.

(The Strict Limits) From what you have stated, there are 'strict' limits imposed on the professors' 'blind' grading system. This you gather from a professor telling you that they hold themselves to it. No outside checks along the way I assume. A 'trust me, we're fair' type of approach to maintaining accuracy through 'blind' grading. At a school where 96% of the students are employed at graduation and close to 80% of those are making an average of $145 thousand, maybe I am being ridiculous.

So clearly a scowl, or an overheard offensive joke, aren't the core of a grade. Yet, the reason for a blind grading system in an area of study that largely resembles a liberal arts major is to reverse the common impact of favoritism. In a field that isn't black and white and where almost every answer is strong, it's not a reach for a poly sci major to point out that placing a target on your back, negative or positive, gives a professor something to grab at when she places you on the curve.

Your knowledge is appreciated. You have exposed the wizard behind the 'blind grading' curtain. So, 1, you make sure that you don't stigmatize your name by laying low, and you kill the final. 2, you put your chin to the teabag and smile like a true gunner. Or 3, it slaps you in the face at the end of the semester anyway.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:06 pm

goddamnit i hate law students

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:17 pm

5ky wrote:goddamnit i hate law students

+1

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:19 pm

Good lord, what do you want us to say, "Yeah you're totally right. You exposed the entire fraud in the system and your grade was due to favoritism and nothing else. You can safely go to sleep now."

HTH you earned whatever grade you got. Live with it.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”