UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
miamiheat
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:32 pm

..

Postby miamiheat » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:45 am

..
Last edited by miamiheat on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:18 am

miamiheat wrote:I asked this in another forum but I might get some more answers here.....Does anyone know any good apartment locations near the corner (beside that large grand marc apartments which looks way way overpriced)...I'd rather drive 5 minutes to the law school each morning and be within walking distance to the bars at night and not have to walk 20 min in the dark to apartments closer to the law school after going out (and Im asssuming the corner is where the majority of them are)...Thanks


This is probably not a good idea as a 1L. You will be going to class at least 4 days a week and going to the Corner probably at most 2 nights a week. And cabs are cheap.

That morning drive to school will almost never be just 5 minutes. It will take you 15-30 minutes to go from the door of your Corner apartment to sitting in class at the law school.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:18 pm

I agree; I wouldn't advise choosing the Corner over Arlington or Ivy. Being near the law school will save you a lot more time since you'll be going to the law school much more often than the Corner, and furthermore, cabbing it to the bars will be far cheaper than buying a parking pass at the law school.

User avatar
itsirtou
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby itsirtou » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:20 pm

miamiheat wrote:I asked this in another forum but I might get some more answers here.....Does anyone know any good apartment locations near the corner (beside that large grand marc apartments which looks way way overpriced)...I'd rather drive 5 minutes to the law school each morning and be within walking distance to the bars at night and not have to walk 20 min in the dark to apartments closer to the law school after going out (and Im asssuming the corner is where the majority of them are)...Thanks


I live in Oxford Hills at the corner of Preston and Madison, about a ten minute walk to the Corner and 10 minute drive to the school. I love it here and it's great not to have to walk to school any more from Ivy, but I'd recommend not doing it 1L year. You never go straight to the Corner; you go to a pregame usually at Ivy and THEN cab to the Corner. also why would you walk 20 min in the dark back to your apt after going out...?

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby desertlaw » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:20 pm

UHeights is another option, people. UHEIGHTS!

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:26 pm

Okay, so for the people who had him, just how bad is Prakash?

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:27 pm

RVP11 wrote:
miamiheat wrote:I asked this in another forum but I might get some more answers here.....Does anyone know any good apartment locations near the corner (beside that large grand marc apartments which looks way way overpriced)...I'd rather drive 5 minutes to the law school each morning and be within walking distance to the bars at night and not have to walk 20 min in the dark to apartments closer to the law school after going out (and Im asssuming the corner is where the majority of them are)...Thanks


This is probably not a good idea as a 1L. You will be going to class at least 4 days a week and going to the Corner probably at most 2 nights a week. And cabs are cheap.

That morning drive to school will almost never be just 5 minutes. It will take you 15-30 minutes to go from the door of your Corner apartment to sitting in class at the law school.

probably closer to 30

User avatar
itsirtou
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby itsirtou » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:44 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
miamiheat wrote:I asked this in another forum but I might get some more answers here.....Does anyone know any good apartment locations near the corner (beside that large grand marc apartments which looks way way overpriced)...I'd rather drive 5 minutes to the law school each morning and be within walking distance to the bars at night and not have to walk 20 min in the dark to apartments closer to the law school after going out (and Im asssuming the corner is where the majority of them are)...Thanks


This is probably not a good idea as a 1L. You will be going to class at least 4 days a week and going to the Corner probably at most 2 nights a week. And cabs are cheap.

That morning drive to school will almost never be just 5 minutes. It will take you 15-30 minutes to go from the door of your Corner apartment to sitting in class at the law school.

probably closer to 30


Eh it doesn't take me that long. Takes me 20 minutes from getting in my car to sitting in my seat when traffic is worst and I hit all the lights red. Fifteen when I'm lucky and hit all the greens

User avatar
miamiheat
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:32 pm

..

Postby miamiheat » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:50 pm

..
Last edited by miamiheat on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
itsirtou
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby itsirtou » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:18 pm

miamiheat wrote:
itsirtou wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:probably closer to 30


Eh it doesn't take me that long. Takes me 20 minutes from getting in my car to sitting in my seat when traffic is worst and I hit all the lights red. Fifteen when I'm lucky and hit all the greens


Yeah but is it just me or does Ivy and some of these other apartment buildings look very old and a bit run down...just looking at the model ones on their websites, I would never want to live there...are there any newer apartment buildings?


The Ivy apartment I lived in was just okay. I wouldn't say it was run down, but it did feel a bit old, I guess. It wasn't bothersome -- it was clean and looked like it had new carpet. I had one of the Ivy apartments that was below ground level so it kind of felt like living in a cave. But the only real reason I moved out (besides the whole cave thing) was just that I wanted a dog and Ivy isn't pet-friendly. Living there wasn't that bad.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:09 am

itsirtou wrote:
Eh it doesn't take me that long. Takes me 20 minutes from getting in my car to sitting in my seat when traffic is worst and I hit all the lights red. Fifteen when I'm lucky and hit all the greens


Yeah, I commute and can do it in fifteen minutes, door to classroom, pretty regularly. I have reasons for doing so though that your typical 1L won't have. Unless someone has a good reason to live elsewhere (i.e. not simply being close to The Corner), I'd stick to Arlington or Ivy.

As was mentioned, most social gatherings start closer to the school, so by living elsewhere you'll actually get less socializing, not more. At exam time, the library can be crowded and the school stressful, it's helpful to be able to retreat back to your apartment to study or eat. Likewise, it you have a day with two classes, one at 8.30 and the other at 3.40, you have to either stay in school all day (possibly good for your grades) or make the commute twice in each direction if you want to go home and relax.

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby desertlaw » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:31 pm

Who cares about grades and apartments - the better question: When is the Feb Club schedule coming out?

AriGoldButNicer
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:39 pm

Hey so i'm 60-something on the jeffersonian's waitlist. I was wondering what the odds are of landing something there. I know if you're 60 something on a school's waitlist your odds are well under 50-50. I just want to know if it'd be prudent to look elsewhere, and if so then where?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:50 pm

desertlaw wrote:Who cares about grades and apartments - the better question: When is the Feb Club schedule coming out?


It's still being hammered out. Hosts still have to pick themes and they have to make sure there aren't duplicates; the schedule should be in the first or second law weekly in January.

User avatar
esq
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby esq » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:28 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:Hey so i'm 60-something on the jeffersonian's waitlist. I was wondering what the odds are of landing something there. I know if you're 60 something on a school's waitlist your odds are well under 50-50. I just want to know if it'd be prudent to look elsewhere, and if so then where?

Not very good. I was 61: denied. All apartments were said to be taken, though I was shooting for a two-bedroom.

AriGoldButNicer
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:38 pm

esq wrote:
AriGoldButNicer wrote:Hey so i'm 60-something on the jeffersonian's waitlist. I was wondering what the odds are of landing something there. I know if you're 60 something on a school's waitlist your odds are well under 50-50. I just want to know if it'd be prudent to look elsewhere, and if so then where?

Not very good. I was 61: denied. All apartments were said to be taken, though I was shooting for a two-bedroom.

Backups? I dont have a car. I can walk 3-4 miles to school as I do a lt of walking/running. Just don't wanna be disadvantaged time wise. What do late admits to? Camp out? It seems like it's harder to find a place to live in UVa than on Park Ave in Manhattan. 69 people on a waitlist when I got my app in 9 am morning they opened? I'm kind of po'd.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:53 pm

..

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:06 am

AriGoldButNicer wrote:
esq wrote:
AriGoldButNicer wrote:Hey so i'm 60-something on the jeffersonian's waitlist. I was wondering what the odds are of landing something there. I know if you're 60 something on a school's waitlist your odds are well under 50-50. I just want to know if it'd be prudent to look elsewhere, and if so then where?

Not very good. I was 61: denied. All apartments were said to be taken, though I was shooting for a two-bedroom.

Backups? I dont have a car. I can walk 3-4 miles to school as I do a lt of walking/running. Just don't wanna be disadvantaged time wise. What do late admits to? Camp out? It seems like it's harder to find a place to live in UVa than on Park Ave in Manhattan. 69 people on a waitlist when I got my app in 9 am morning they opened? I'm kind of po'd.

Arlington Court Condos are a good option, as are the apartments owned by Woodard Properties (the Graduate Centre and 2102/2104/2106 Arlington Boulevard). You should have no problem finding somewhere on Arlington. I didn't start looking until April and I quickly found a place.

AriGoldButNicer
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:18 am

Thanks. Sorry if i came off complaining earlier - i was just shocked as to how crowded these are. These are great suggestions. I'd prefer not to live on uva property, because then you have collegiate rules 24/7-like if i don't want to have bar issues if i smoke a cigarette in my room. I'm thinking about maybe going down there, and scoping stuff out later this month? I'd just regret not living with law students. I'm kind of on my own with this, and I know friends are a great answer to stress.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:22 am

Everybody lives in Ivy Gardens. It's got dozens if not hundreds of 1Ls every year and fills slowly. Walking distance to the law school, very close to the gym, etc. Not as convenient to grocery stores and the like, but you can get by w/o a car if need be.

Also there are a pile of places on Arlington that will have space. Woodard Properties owns (at least) two complexes and you could probably sign a lease with them this week if you gave them a call.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:25 am

AriGoldButNicer wrote:Thanks. Sorry if i came off complaining earlier - i was just shocked as to how crowded these are. These are great suggestions. I'd prefer not to live on uva property, because then you have collegiate rules 24/7-like if i don't want to have bar issues if i smoke a cigarette in my room. I'm thinking about maybe going down there, and scoping stuff out later this month? I'd just regret not living with law students. I'm kind of on my own with this, and I know friends are a great answer to stress.

All of these places are private. The only nearby UVA property is Copeley, which no one from the Law School (literally, no one) lives at. There's no need to visit Charlottesville earlier than ASD--Ivy and several Arlington places will still have plenty of vacancies in March.

jediknight2424
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:06 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby jediknight2424 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:55 am

Does anyone live at the Range? I'm looking for 1br and their rooms are pretty cheap.

User avatar
aspire2more
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:23 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby aspire2more » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:32 am

AriGoldButNicer wrote:Thanks. Sorry if i came off complaining earlier - i was just shocked as to how crowded these are. These are great suggestions. I'd prefer not to live on uva property, because then you have collegiate rules 24/7-like if i don't want to have bar issues if i smoke a cigarette in my room. I'm thinking about maybe going down there, and scoping stuff out later this month? I'd just regret not living with law students. I'm kind of on my own with this, and I know friends are a great answer to stress.


Just as an FYI based on the suggestions you're being given in this thread, the Woodard Properties apartments on Arlington are non-smoking.

AriGoldButNicer
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:39 am

aspire2more wrote:
AriGoldButNicer wrote:Thanks. Sorry if i came off complaining earlier - i was just shocked as to how crowded these are. These are great suggestions. I'd prefer not to live on uva property, because then you have collegiate rules 24/7-like if i don't want to have bar issues if i smoke a cigarette in my room. I'm thinking about maybe going down there, and scoping stuff out later this month? I'd just regret not living with law students. I'm kind of on my own with this, and I know friends are a great answer to stress.


Just as an FYI based on the suggestions you're being given in this thread, the Woodard Properties apartments on Arlington are non-smoking.

Thanks for the heads up, and thanks Cavalier as well. Why is Jeffersonian so much more popular than Ivy? I was a bit turned off by ivy's description of the 1 br's being submerged. The decks for the two br's sound awesome, but i don't have a roommate :-(

I guess I'll keep searching!! If any of you two/three l's wouldn't mind a 1l roommate (i am older than most 1ls but not 30 plus old), let me know!! I'm very friendly and outgoing, but pretty low key.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:52 am

..




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests