UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
crossingforHYS

Silver

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by crossingforHYS » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:01 pm

Doritos wrote:I'm not checking until after next semester. I'll look at the entire year's grades all together.
I admire your tenacity

turkeysub

New

Post by turkeysub » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:16 pm

Any professors notably punctual/late about getting grades back?

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:01 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
Doritos wrote:I'm not checking until after next semester. I'll look at the entire year's grades all together.
I admire your tenacity
It's my middle name

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:29 pm

pfbbbt, only waiting an extra semester is for amateurs. I still haven't checked any of my 2L grades.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:48 pm

Cavalier wrote:Whether or not you check SIS and LawWeb evals every minute, as soon as grades (or evals) are posted, someone will be sure to inform you immediately, via a section-wide email, Facebook, gchat, text, or TLS private message. Often times these communications will be accompanied by not-so-subtle hints that the communicator received a good grade.
Mass text messages of "Hey guys! GrAdes are up+!"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:52 pm

What are evals? Excuse my UVA law ignorance.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:53 pm

pjo wrote:What are evals? Excuse my UVA law ignorance.
didn't you do them for every class?

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:45 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:

Oh those evals. Yeah. So when they get posted then grades are posted?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:05 pm

pjo wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

yep

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:25 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
pjo wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

yep
Either posted or will be posted soon after.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:28 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Whether or not you check SIS and LawWeb evals every minute, as soon as grades (or evals) are posted, someone will be sure to inform you immediately, via a section-wide email, Facebook, gchat, text, or TLS private message. Often times these communications will be accompanied by not-so-subtle hints that the communicator received a good grade.
Mass text messages of "Hey guys! GrAdes are up+!"
"sorry about that, T9 word is so annoying"

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:36 pm

Have any of you guys participated in the intramural trial advocacy tournament, and if so can you comment on what sort of time commitment is involved with it? I was interested in participating in the alternative spring break, but declined to apply because I thought I would participate in a trial ad tournament and didn't want to stretch myself too thin. It looks like there aren't any available spots for any of the tournaments, so I'm considering inquiring if there are any available spots left for the spring break project I was interested in.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:00 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:Have any of you guys participated in the intramural trial advocacy tournament, and if so can you comment on what sort of time commitment is involved with it? I was interested in participating in the alternative spring break, but declined to apply because I thought I would participate in a trial ad tournament and didn't want to stretch myself too thin. It looks like there aren't any available spots for any of the tournaments, so I'm considering inquiring if there are any available spots left for the spring break project I was interested in.
The time commitment for the Commonwealth Challenge isn't too bad. Last year you had to compete in four rounds if you made it all the way to the final, and the case wasn't super-complex. The biggest difficulty/time-suck seemed to be finding and prepping witnesses. Unlike most tournaments, you compete in teams of two, so you have to find your own witnesses. The witnesses aren't scored, of course, but your witness quality will play a significant role in how smooth your directs are and how difficult your opponents' crosses are.

tl;dr: I don't see any reason why you couldn't do both ASB and the tournament.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:21 am

I sent this question to career services but I got an auto-reply saying Duke won't be in until the 3rd, so I thought I'd see if anyone here could give me an answer.

I'm planning on applying to an internship that starts accepting applications on the 1st, but they require you to receive academic credit for it in order to be eligible. Is it safe to assume this available for us?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:00 am

joemoviebuff wrote: Is it safe to assume this available for us?
No. It is not an option, to my knowledge. Check the academic policies / course offerings to be sure, career services isn't the place to inquire in the first place.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:05 pm

Hey everyone if you had to pick between Jeffersonian and Ivy (both 2 bedroom with den, will find roomate later) which would you choose?

Seems the reviews are much better for Jeffersonian and its cheaper so I am wondering if I should even send in an app to Ivy?

Thanks everyone

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:09 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:12 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Hey everyone if you had to pick between Jeffersonian and Ivy (both 2 bedroom with den, will find roomate later) which would you choose?

Seems the reviews are much better for Jeffersonian and its cheaper so I am wondering if I should even send in an app to Ivy?

Thanks everyone
Most would say Jeffersonian, but you'd better be ready with that application now - most people don't get the choice, since Ivy is easy to get a room in and Jeffersonian borders on impossible.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:15 pm

thesealocust wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Hey everyone if you had to pick between Jeffersonian and Ivy (both 2 bedroom with den, will find roomate later) which would you choose?

Thanks everyone
Most would say Jeffersonian, but you'd better be ready with that application now - most people don't get the choice, since Ivy is easy to get a room in and Jeffersonian borders on impossible.
So if I apply at midnight (eastern time) for the 2 bedroom with den it wont be hard to find a roomate later? lol

Is the Den worth it? Anyone have any experience with that? Figuring the extra Sq. footage would be worth 20 bucks each

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:18 pm

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:48 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

Thanks everyone
So if I apply at midnight (eastern time) for the 2 bedroom with den it wont be hard to find a roomate later? lol

Is the Den worth it? Anyone have any experience with that? Figuring the extra Sq. footage would be worth 20 bucks each
It's large enough to be a third bedroom or a sizeable office (by law school student standards). In theory, I use mine as a guest bedroom, but really just for storage.

There aren't that many 2 bedrooms with dens (and it may well be that nobody is moving out of any of them), so you may have to settle for a 2 bedroom, of which there are many.
Thank you for all your help, heading out for the night. A 2 bedroom will be fine. I put 2 bed with a den but if thats not available I will be happy with anything. Love how cheap these apartments are. Have a great new years!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:23 pm

Thanks everyone
Jeffersonian hands down. Also, if you decide to live in Ivy, you can put in an application pretty much whenever you want. There's no urgency like there is with Jeffersonian.

EDIT: I know for a fact that there will be at least one two bedroom with den coming available over the summer.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:09 am

bgdddymtty wrote:

Thanks everyone
Jeffersonian hands down. Also, if you decide to live in Ivy, you can put in an application pretty much whenever you want. There's no urgency like there is with Jeffersonian.

EDIT: I know for a fact that there will be at least one two bedroom with den coming available over the summer.
Haha well I was a little late submitting (of course forgot at midnight) sent like an hour and a half late but my wait list number is in the 50s

I responded to their email (as they asked) saying that I would also like to be considered for a 2 bedroom if the ones with dens are not available

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:17 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:

Thanks everyone

Haha well I was a little late submitting (of course forgot at midnight) sent like an hour and a half late but my wait list number is in the 50s

I responded to their email (as they asked) saying that I would also like to be considered for a 2 bedroom if the ones with dens are not available
Sorry dude, but you're not gonna get the Jeffersonian w/a number in the 50s.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:28 am

Eh, that's not definitely true. I feel like I was in the 40's last year and got offered something - most likely though, you'll only have unfurnished, no den, one bedroom left.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”