UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby crossingforHYS » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:01 pm

Doritos wrote:I'm not checking until after next semester. I'll look at the entire year's grades all together.

I admire your tenacity

turkeysub
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:48 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby turkeysub » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:16 pm

Any professors notably punctual/late about getting grades back?

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Doritos » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:01 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
Doritos wrote:I'm not checking until after next semester. I'll look at the entire year's grades all together.

I admire your tenacity


It's my middle name

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8445
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:29 pm

Doritos wrote:I'm not checking until after next semester. I'll look at the entire year's grades all together.


pfbbbt, only waiting an extra semester is for amateurs. I still haven't checked any of my 2L grades.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby RVP11 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:48 pm

Cavalier wrote:Whether or not you check SIS and LawWeb evals every minute, as soon as grades (or evals) are posted, someone will be sure to inform you immediately, via a section-wide email, Facebook, gchat, text, or TLS private message. Often times these communications will be accompanied by not-so-subtle hints that the communicator received a good grade.


Mass text messages of "Hey guys! GrAdes are up+!"

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby pjo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:52 pm

What are evals? Excuse my UVA law ignorance.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:53 pm

pjo wrote:What are evals? Excuse my UVA law ignorance.

didn't you do them for every class?

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby pjo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:45 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
pjo wrote:What are evals? Excuse my UVA law ignorance.

didn't you do them for every class?



Oh those evals. Yeah. So when they get posted then grades are posted?

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:05 pm

pjo wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
pjo wrote:What are evals? Excuse my UVA law ignorance.

didn't you do them for every class?



Oh those evals. Yeah. So when they get posted then grades are posted?

yep

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby gladiator » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:25 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
pjo wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
pjo wrote:What are evals? Excuse my UVA law ignorance.

didn't you do them for every class?



Oh those evals. Yeah. So when they get posted then grades are posted?

yep


Either posted or will be posted soon after.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:28 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Whether or not you check SIS and LawWeb evals every minute, as soon as grades (or evals) are posted, someone will be sure to inform you immediately, via a section-wide email, Facebook, gchat, text, or TLS private message. Often times these communications will be accompanied by not-so-subtle hints that the communicator received a good grade.


Mass text messages of "Hey guys! GrAdes are up+!"


"sorry about that, T9 word is so annoying"

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1914
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:36 pm

Have any of you guys participated in the intramural trial advocacy tournament, and if so can you comment on what sort of time commitment is involved with it? I was interested in participating in the alternative spring break, but declined to apply because I thought I would participate in a trial ad tournament and didn't want to stretch myself too thin. It looks like there aren't any available spots for any of the tournaments, so I'm considering inquiring if there are any available spots left for the spring break project I was interested in.

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:00 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:Have any of you guys participated in the intramural trial advocacy tournament, and if so can you comment on what sort of time commitment is involved with it? I was interested in participating in the alternative spring break, but declined to apply because I thought I would participate in a trial ad tournament and didn't want to stretch myself too thin. It looks like there aren't any available spots for any of the tournaments, so I'm considering inquiring if there are any available spots left for the spring break project I was interested in.

The time commitment for the Commonwealth Challenge isn't too bad. Last year you had to compete in four rounds if you made it all the way to the final, and the case wasn't super-complex. The biggest difficulty/time-suck seemed to be finding and prepping witnesses. Unlike most tournaments, you compete in teams of two, so you have to find your own witnesses. The witnesses aren't scored, of course, but your witness quality will play a significant role in how smooth your directs are and how difficult your opponents' crosses are.

tl;dr: I don't see any reason why you couldn't do both ASB and the tournament.

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby joemoviebuff » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:21 am

I sent this question to career services but I got an auto-reply saying Duke won't be in until the 3rd, so I thought I'd see if anyone here could give me an answer.

I'm planning on applying to an internship that starts accepting applications on the 1st, but they require you to receive academic credit for it in order to be eligible. Is it safe to assume this available for us?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8445
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:00 am

joemoviebuff wrote: Is it safe to assume this available for us?


No. It is not an option, to my knowledge. Check the academic policies / course offerings to be sure, career services isn't the place to inquire in the first place.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 005618502 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:05 pm

Hey everyone if you had to pick between Jeffersonian and Ivy (both 2 bedroom with den, will find roomate later) which would you choose?

Seems the reviews are much better for Jeffersonian and its cheaper so I am wondering if I should even send in an app to Ivy?

Thanks everyone

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:09 pm

..

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8445
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:12 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Hey everyone if you had to pick between Jeffersonian and Ivy (both 2 bedroom with den, will find roomate later) which would you choose?

Seems the reviews are much better for Jeffersonian and its cheaper so I am wondering if I should even send in an app to Ivy?

Thanks everyone


Most would say Jeffersonian, but you'd better be ready with that application now - most people don't get the choice, since Ivy is easy to get a room in and Jeffersonian borders on impossible.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 005618502 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:15 pm

thesealocust wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Hey everyone if you had to pick between Jeffersonian and Ivy (both 2 bedroom with den, will find roomate later) which would you choose?

Seems the reviews are much better for Jeffersonian and its cheaper so I am wondering if I should even send in an app to Ivy?

Thanks everyone


Most would say Jeffersonian, but you'd better be ready with that application now - most people don't get the choice, since Ivy is easy to get a room in and Jeffersonian borders on impossible.


So if I apply at midnight (eastern time) for the 2 bedroom with den it wont be hard to find a roomate later? lol

Is the Den worth it? Anyone have any experience with that? Figuring the extra Sq. footage would be worth 20 bucks each

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:18 pm

..

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 005618502 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:48 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Hey everyone if you had to pick between Jeffersonian and Ivy (both 2 bedroom with den, will find roomate later) which would you choose?

Seems the reviews are much better for Jeffersonian and its cheaper so I am wondering if I should even send in an app to Ivy?

Thanks everyone


Most would say Jeffersonian, but you'd better be ready with that application now - most people don't get the choice, since Ivy is easy to get a room in and Jeffersonian borders on impossible.


So if I apply at midnight (eastern time) for the 2 bedroom with den it wont be hard to find a roomate later? lol

Is the Den worth it? Anyone have any experience with that? Figuring the extra Sq. footage would be worth 20 bucks each

It's large enough to be a third bedroom or a sizeable office (by law school student standards). In theory, I use mine as a guest bedroom, but really just for storage.

There aren't that many 2 bedrooms with dens (and it may well be that nobody is moving out of any of them), so you may have to settle for a 2 bedroom, of which there are many.


Thank you for all your help, heading out for the night. A 2 bedroom will be fine. I put 2 bed with a den but if thats not available I will be happy with anything. Love how cheap these apartments are. Have a great new years!

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby bgdddymtty » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:23 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Hey everyone if you had to pick between Jeffersonian and Ivy (both 2 bedroom with den, will find roomate later) which would you choose?

Seems the reviews are much better for Jeffersonian and its cheaper so I am wondering if I should even send in an app to Ivy?

Thanks everyone

Jeffersonian hands down. Also, if you decide to live in Ivy, you can put in an application pretty much whenever you want. There's no urgency like there is with Jeffersonian.

EDIT: I know for a fact that there will be at least one two bedroom with den coming available over the summer.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 005618502 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:09 am

bgdddymtty wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Hey everyone if you had to pick between Jeffersonian and Ivy (both 2 bedroom with den, will find roomate later) which would you choose?

Seems the reviews are much better for Jeffersonian and its cheaper so I am wondering if I should even send in an app to Ivy?

Thanks everyone

Jeffersonian hands down. Also, if you decide to live in Ivy, you can put in an application pretty much whenever you want. There's no urgency like there is with Jeffersonian.

EDIT: I know for a fact that there will be at least one two bedroom with den coming available over the summer.


Haha well I was a little late submitting (of course forgot at midnight) sent like an hour and a half late but my wait list number is in the 50s

I responded to their email (as they asked) saying that I would also like to be considered for a 2 bedroom if the ones with dens are not available

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sundance95 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:17 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Hey everyone if you had to pick between Jeffersonian and Ivy (both 2 bedroom with den, will find roomate later) which would you choose?

Seems the reviews are much better for Jeffersonian and its cheaper so I am wondering if I should even send in an app to Ivy?

Thanks everyone

Jeffersonian hands down. Also, if you decide to live in Ivy, you can put in an application pretty much whenever you want. There's no urgency like there is with Jeffersonian.

EDIT: I know for a fact that there will be at least one two bedroom with den coming available over the summer.


Haha well I was a little late submitting (of course forgot at midnight) sent like an hour and a half late but my wait list number is in the 50s

I responded to their email (as they asked) saying that I would also like to be considered for a 2 bedroom if the ones with dens are not available

Sorry dude, but you're not gonna get the Jeffersonian w/a number in the 50s.

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby billyez » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:28 am

Eh, that's not definitely true. I feel like I was in the 40's last year and got offered something - most likely though, you'll only have unfurnished, no den, one bedroom left.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 8 guests