UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sundance95

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby sundance95 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:27 pm

desertlaw wrote:Even if you could forge a transcript, wouldn't it have to be the unofficial one if you wanted to use it for OGI, because that's the one firms saw? And doesn't have to be uploaded through Symplicity by the actual law school? Stealing official transcript paper/watermark/stamp/seal only seems valuable for the when the official one is needed, like at graduation or in place of the unofficial one. So I don't think he stole anyone's OGI interview.

From talking to some upperclassmen, I think the idea is that he faked the unofficial transcript uploaded to Symplicity, and then the firm requested a confirming official transcript. Not sure about whether the law school uploads the Symplicity transcript but the person I spoke to seemed to believe that it would have been pretty easy to fake the Symplicity one because its an electronic document, and one could redact and replace the grades with a program as simple as Adobe Acrobat.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:32 pm

sundance95 wrote:
desertlaw wrote:Even if you could forge a transcript, wouldn't it have to be the unofficial one if you wanted to use it for OGI, because that's the one firms saw? And doesn't have to be uploaded through Symplicity by the actual law school? Stealing official transcript paper/watermark/stamp/seal only seems valuable for the when the official one is needed, like at graduation or in place of the unofficial one. So I don't think he stole anyone's OGI interview.

From talking to some upperclassmen, I think the idea is that he faked the unofficial transcript uploaded to Symplicity, and then the firm requested a confirming official transcript. Not sure about whether the law school uploads the Symplicity transcript but the person I spoke to seemed to believe that it would have been pretty easy to fake the Symplicity one because its an electronic document, and one could redact and replace the grades with a program as simple as Adobe Acrobat.

Wonder if you can change Symplicity to prevent that? Do firms/employers now become suspicious of our grades if this guy was selling/running a transcript ring?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:34 pm

I'd think that if our speculation is correct and the firm requested an official transcript copy, this would be an example of the system working.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:42 pm

desertlaw wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

Wonder if you can change Symplicity to prevent that? Do firms/employers now become suspicious of our grades if this guy was selling/running a transcript ring?

That would be awful, because updating my transcript is not going to be good.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:48 pm

It's possible he might've switched out his transcript on Symplicity, but this would seem to be the type of thing that would bring up red flags. I'd say that a far more likely scenario is that this was done to secure some sort of scholarship money. Have any of us who have secured summer clerkships been asked to provide official transcripts? I haven't, and I haven't heard of anyone else being asked to do so. OTOH, my tribe, which provides me a small scholarship/book stipend, does require me to send in official transcripts each semester. Given that this guy was the head of diversity recruiting for BLSA, it seems reasonable to hypothesize that he had been awarded some money by someone who then asked for him to verify his grades.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:16 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:More tomfoolery at UVA Law it looks like.

:|

Transcript paper. So bizarre.
Not bizarre at all. Instantly transplanting oneself from the bottom of the class to the top is potentially a very lucrative maneuver.

I wonder what having balls like that actually feels like. This all sounds borderline sociopathic

ReelectClayDavis

Postby ReelectClayDavis » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:24 pm

2Ls/3Ls: having paid little attention so far this semester, y'all think its possible with just one day of studying from an old outline and reading the model rules to do enough to not totally bomb PR? Or is that pushing it too much? Trying to figure out when to flex this thing.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:45 pm

ReelectClayDavis wrote:2Ls/3Ls: having paid little attention so far this semester, y'all think its possible with just one day of studying from an old outline and reading the model rules to do enough to not totally bomb PR? Or is that pushing it too much? Trying to figure out when to flex this thing.
Hylton or Cohen? From Fall '09-Fall '10, only 9/173 (5.2%) of Hylton's PR students received grades of B- or worse, compared to 21/154 (13.6%) of Cohen's students. On top of that, given that this difference in grade distribution is well-known, I'd imagine that people study harder, on average, for Cohen's final than for Hylton's. Add in the fact that there are no 1L's in your class and that PR is generally considered a blow-off class anyway, and I'd bet you're good so long as you're in Hylton's section.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:58 pm

ReelectClayDavis wrote:2Ls/3Ls: having paid little attention so far this semester, y'all think its possible with just one day of studying from an old outline and reading the model rules to do enough to not totally bomb PR? Or is that pushing it too much? Trying to figure out when to flex this thing.

Hylton: You'll be fine. Cohen: Mwahaha, good luck!

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:00 pm

Cavalier wrote:

Hylton: You'll be fine. Cohen: Mwahaha, good luck!

Well, yes, I guess that is the tl;dr version of what I wrote.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:05 am

I wanted to write that rather than "+1" to yours or whatever. But to be more detailed in my agreement, having taken Cohen's PR, I would not at all recommend slacking off in your studies for it. Not only are his exams difficult, but his classes are generally packed with gunners seeking the multiple A+ grades he awards. Hylton offers a relatively easy PR class, from everything I've heard, so preparing for the exam shouldn't be too difficult.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:13 am

So how did CivPro go for the 1Ls? Any great meltdown stories? Who hit 30 pages?

Andy5612

Postby Andy5612 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:23 am

Hey guys,

So by my count there have been four criminal incidents involving UVA Law kids in the last couple of years. All these kids were black. There aren't that many black kids at UVA, as a matter of fact if I recall UVA is the least diverse t14 school.

Anything to read between the lines here? AA/URM related? Somehow related to white-washed environment of the school?

Or just a coincidence?

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:22 am

Andy5612 wrote:Hey guys,

So by my count there have been four criminal incidents involving UVA Law kids in the last couple of years. All these kids were black. There aren't that many black kids at UVA, as a matter of fact if I recall UVA is the least diverse t14 school.

Anything to read between the lines here? AA/URM related? Somehow related to white-washed environment of the school?

Or just a coincidence?

There were two criminal incidents and one was dismissed. The other is currently pending.

I don't know what you're asking. White-washed environment leading to black kids committing crimes? AA/URM related? As in young black students more likely to commit crimes? Is UVA admitting thugs in order to fill their URM quota?

I'm trying to formulate your question in a way that isn't embarrassingly ignorant but I'm at a loss so please help me bro.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:49 am

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:38 pm

5ky wrote:So how did CivPro go for the 1Ls? Any great meltdown stories? Who hit 30 pages?

a gchat ring went off in the middle of our test

also, it was hard
Last edited by paulinaporizkova on Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:38 pm

Doritos wrote:
I'm trying to formulate your question in a way that isn't embarrassingly ignorant but I'm at a loss so please help me bro.

loled

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:56 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:a gchat ring went off in the middle of our test

also, it was hard

My 1L year civ pro was the only exam I heard of causing people to burst into tears part way through. So the worst is probably over :D

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:01 pm

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:08 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

also, it was hard

My 1L year civ pro was the only exam I heard of causing people to burst into tears part way through. So the worst is probably over :D

I'm still traumatized by the civ pro exam.

I wrote a paragraph somewhere in the middle of mine apologizing for neither knowing nor understanding civil procedure. Oh, Nelson.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:21 pm

thesealocust wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

also, it was hard

I'm still traumatized by the civ pro exam.

I wrote a paragraph somewhere in the middle of mine apologizing for neither knowing nor understanding civil procedure. Oh, Nelson.

lolol

Why do I feel like I either did embarrassingly poorly or extremely well but nowhere in the middle? Is this a common phenomenon for a Mitchell exam?

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 005618502 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:39 pm

Here is a ?, does anyone think (or have heard of) a student from UVA being offered a summer at Wachtell? Would a student in the top 1% definitely be in the running if they wanted to even though they dont do OGI at UVA?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:52 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Here is a ?, does anyone think (or have heard of) a student from UVA being offered a summer at Wachtell? Would a student in the top 1% definitely be in the running if they wanted to even though they dont do OGI at UVA?

Yep. There are definitely non-apocryphal stories of UVA students being considered by Wachtell.

Honestly for firms like that it's not a shooting match based on grades nearly as much as it is about background, interest, fit, and overall credentials. Stellar grades help, but don't get swept up in the notion that the most selective firms just require really-really-really good grades. Generally the extreme selectivity has a lot to do with the firm being smaller and more narrowly focused, which means they can't just roll into every T14 and make a couple of offers. Even from the schools Wachtell traditionally recruits from they aren't just taking the kids with the best grades.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:20 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
5ky wrote:So how did CivPro go for the 1Ls? Any great meltdown stories? Who hit 30 pages?

a gchat ring went off in the middle of our test

also, it was hard

Mine went off during the exam. It was towards the beginning, though. My computer froze right as Nelson said we could begin and my gmail notifier opened automatically when I restarted.

Also, I had a meltdown in the library on Sunday night about a niggling question that no one could give me a satisfactory answer to and then it ended up on the exam. I didn't figure out how to answer it properly until 5 AM this morning, when I woke up and sat bolt upright in bed like, "OF COURSE."

Good times.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:23 pm

So, how do we feel about the new topic title? Anyone else perceive a post facto legitimization of answers he gave while not a 2L?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”