UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby 005618502 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:42 pm

Doritos wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
desertlaw wrote:The best students live at Barracks Court.

Where is this? Havent heard of it?

It's a little known secret called Hessian Hills. Spacious rooms, friendly folks, and frequent (loud) trash removal very early in the morning. The neighbors are great too. A few are most likely drug dealers of some kind, and one has no less than 20 pets in their apartment. It's located on Barracks Road right pass the overpass. It's a very convenient walk to the school. Just cut through the woods and walk past the sometimes hobo encampment BAM you are in the softball fields.

There's a 7/11 just down the road with truly delectable hot dogs that they cook on those roller things. You can also get top-notch wine for like $5. My kind of party.

Hahaha, thanks for the lol

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:48 pm

Doritos wrote:It's a little known secret called Hessian Hills. Spacious rooms, friendly folks, and frequent (loud) trash removal very early in the morning. The neighbors are great too. A few are most likely drug dealers of some kind, and one has no less than 20 pets in their apartment. It's located on Barracks Road right pass the overpass. It's a very convenient walk to the school. Just cut through the woods and walk past the sometimes hobo encampment BAM you are in the softball fields.

He's not even telling you about all the small business owners. For instance, there's a few enterprising young chaps who are clearly stealing and flipping luxury cars. In addition, there's a pool with no lifeguard. The lack of lifeguard does lead to copious amounts of drinking from glass bottles. The windows are antiques, so that's a perk if you're into that sort of thing.

Re VJIL: The cite checks aren't that bad, I'm told that we only have 1 next semester after having 2 this semester. The checking itself doesn't take that long, at least compared to other journals from what I've heard (notwithstanding law review). The note requirement blows but I think most people just write something for their required writings class, spruce it up, and submit it. "Publishable Quality" is an ambiguous term.

billyez

Postby billyez » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:36 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:"Publishable Quality" is an ambiguous term.

Knowing the general quality of my paper this semester, I'm really hoping this is true.

Doritos wrote: You can also get top-notch wine for like $5. My kind of party.

But do they have pumpkins?

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:06 pm

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but one of the places I'm applying to wants to know if I can receive academic credit for the internship. I have absolutely no idea. I'll ask CSO, but was wondering if yall had any insights.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:10 am

One of my friends who goes to UT law posted this:

The curve is what makes me feel better. UT has an easy curve. 33% make a B+ (usually) and 33% make A- or better. It's not too much stress knowing that to be average you just need to not be in the bottom third.

Is this how it is at UVA? Is she correct in this? Her theory here is flawed right? I mean, 66% of the class cannot be at or above median....

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:39 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:One of my friends who goes to UT law posted this:

The curve is what makes me feel better. UT has an easy curve. 33% make a B+ (usually) and 33% make A- or better. It's not too much stress knowing that to be average you just need to not be in the bottom third.

Is this how it is at UVA? Is she correct in this? Her theory here is flawed right? I mean, 66% of the class cannot be at or above median....

What? Yes, of course she is right. A "usual" class at UVA is going to be like this: 10% A, 20% A-, 40% B+, 20% B, 10% B-. Obviously there will be rough differences based on the individual professor, but you can check how they order their grades by looking at the grade charts. Some professors will have more people beefed up at B+ and fewer at the tails, some professors will have flatter curves, so a better chance to get an A-level grade, but a better chance to get a below-median grade too.

Because there's more than one class, it evens out a little, but even at the end, there's still going to be a TON of people around a 3.3. I think roughly 1/3 of the class will end up with between a 3.2 and a 3.4, or something. But for each individual class, you only need to be in the top 60-75%, depending on how the professor manages the curve, to get a "median" grade or higher.

Also, something I did not realize: professors seem to have a requirement that the MEAN grade (not median) hovers somewhere between a 3.25 and a 3.35 or so. That means a Professor that gives more As will also give more B-s/C+s as well. A professor cannot give 10% A, 20% A-, and 70% B+ and say the median is a 3.3.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:21 pm

Hessian Hills goes down in my book when one of their townies decides to call a towing company because a law student parked in "their spot." And said Townie could have just parked in another spot 5 spaces down.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:56 pm

desertlaw wrote:Hessian Hills goes down in my book when one of their townies decides to call a towing company because a law student parked in "their spot." And said Townie could have just parked in another spot 5 spaces down.

He honked FIVE TIMES!! No excuse...

battle_tested

Postby battle_tested » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:29 am

desertlaw wrote:The best students live at Barracks Court.

Where is this? Havent heard of it?

I think it's the place where Jefferson kept his slaves at Monticello.

jediknight2424

Postby jediknight2424 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Hey guys. Rising UVA 1L here.

At the risk of sounding gunnerish, how do people suggest getting quality outlines from upperclassmen? I've read a bunch of TLS articles/books on how to do well your first year. It seems like having a lot of old outlines is great for synthesizing the material.

I've heard people suggest joining organizations to access their outline banks. Do people actually do this? If so, which orgs at UVA have the best banks?

Feel free to PM me or respond in this thread. Thanks so much in advance.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:35 pm

What does rising 1L mean? Are you a 1L right now or are you a 0L?

I'm confused. But I'll answer your question because I'd rather do that then study for my 2L exams (or are they rising 3L exams? So when you're a 3L, are you a rising 1st year associate? This whole rising thing has always confused me and I thought it was just a summer thing when you're between school years)

The best way to get good outlines is to become friends with smart 2L/3L's that did well. How to become friends with them? Probably through things like organizations or bar review. Maybe a good way to make friends (or network) is to ask the admissions office for names/e-mails of other students from your same undergrad. Or you just become friends with any 2L/3L, and then ask them for advice/outlines and they can either give you their wisdom or pass you onto someone who did better than them.

Don't do something like e-mail all of Law Review and ask them to be friends. That will get you onto ATL.

Also the UVa SBA has a website with outlines on there. Some are good, some are just 57 pages of Black Letter Law.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:49 pm

And yes, if you're a 0L, you are being too gunnerish. PM me in June and we can talk. Until then, travel, find a fun job and build your alcohol tolerance.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:03 pm

jediknight2424 wrote:Hey guys. Rising UVA 1L here.

At the risk of sounding gunnerish, how do people suggest getting quality outlines from upperclassmen? I've read a bunch of TLS articles/books on how to do well your first year. It seems like having a lot of old outlines is great for synthesizing the material.

I've heard people suggest joining organizations to access their outline banks. Do people actually do this? If so, which orgs at UVA have the best banks?

Feel free to PM me or respond in this thread. Thanks so much in advance.

My God you sound gunnerish. You may think these thoughts but keep them inside unless you want people to think you are the next "Island Game Guy." Don't worry about law school at all until you actually get in Charlottesville. Right now I suggest you drink, dance, and enjoy the sweet sweet freedom of 0L. Old outlines are only helpful for lazy 2Ls like myself who can't be bothered to think about school until 3 days before finals...

Don't ask people for outlines at bars either. Unless you are somehow turning the request into a rad pick-up line...

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:57 pm

Doritos, what would be the Top 5 things that the OP shouldn't do....? (ie - the most gunnerish things)

Here's my list....

1. Read Getting to Maybe at least once per month. Buy LEWWS (whatever that is, I still don't know) and do/read/participate in them.

2. Go to the VLR website and friend request everyone, ask for advice.

3. Take a type-writing class to become faster typer for exams.

4. Make an Excel spreadsheet of firms to mass-mail on Dec 1st of 1L year.

5. Exercise two hours per day. Why? Cause Thomas Jefferson said so. (Or, memorize the blue book)

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:03 pm

desertlaw wrote:Doritos, what would be the Top 5 things that the OP shouldn't do....? (ie - the most gunnerish things)

Here's my list....

1. Read Getting to Maybe at least once per month. Buy LEWWS (whatever that is, I still don't know) and do/read/participate in them.

5. Exercise two hours per day. Why? Cause Thomas Jefferson said so. (Or, memorize the blue book)

6. Outline "The Lawyer's Craft." Also, at the very least they could buy the Crim casebook since all profs use the same one and just read it to get ahead, outlining the whole thing. :lol:

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:53 pm

desertlaw wrote:Doritos, what would be the Top 5 things that the OP shouldn't do....? (ie - the most gunnerish things)

Here's my list....

1. Read hornbooks

2. Read E&Es

3. Not drink

4. Fill out an application to live in Hessian Hills

5. Not listen to Pos-10's hot new track "Split-a-Rillo" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n56-N9qj ... re=related)

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:12 am

In Pos10's defense...

1 - he's chasing his dream. not many of us can say that.

2 - his beats are pretty legit until the voice/vocals come in.

Postby 005618502 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:59 am

Doritos wrote:

Here's my list....

1. Read hornbooks

2. Read E&Es

3. Not drink

5. Not listen to Pos-10's hot new track "Split-a-Rillo" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n56-N9qj ... re=related)

Is it okay that I dont get this? googled it, lookes like condos for sale

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:52 am

Doritos wrote:

Here's my list....

1. Read hornbooks

2. Read E&Es

3. Not drink

Is it okay that I dont get this? googled it, lookes like condos for sale

Oh it's fine, desertlaw and I like to make jokes in public that only 5 people in the world get. It's a great way to make friends.

Dinho

Postby Dinho » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:51 pm

I thought I knew which thread had the housing information, but I've forgotten. Any current UVA students want to offer a new perspective on the best places to live as a 1L?

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:53 pm

Dinho wrote:I thought I knew which thread had the housing information, but I've forgotten. Any current UVA students want to offer a new perspective on the best places to live as a 1L?

Ivy = 1L dorms
Jeffersonian = very close to the school
Hessian Hills = shitty
Jefferson Ridge = far away

That's just off the dome, I'm sure someone will take the time to put together a nice useful post at some point.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:37 am

Doritos wrote:
Dinho wrote:I thought I knew which thread had the housing information, but I've forgotten. Any current UVA students want to offer a new perspective on the best places to live as a 1L?

Ivy = 1L dorms
Hessian Hills = shitty

That's just off the dome, I'm sure someone will take the time to put together a nice useful post at some point.

You also might want to look into other stuff on Arlington (all of which is a very reasonable walking distance to school). In particular, the building directly across from Buffalo Wild Wings is quite nice (newer-looking/renovated, hardwood floors, etc.).

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:48 am

Why are there so many 2L/3L's in the library? I thought we can stop trying now. WHY IS EVERYONE GUNNING?

alicecarroll

Postby alicecarroll » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:48 am

bgdddymtty wrote:
Doritos wrote:

Ivy = 1L dorms
Hessian Hills = shitty

You also might want to look into other stuff on Arlington (all of which is a very reasonable walking distance to school). In particular, the building directly across from Buffalo Wild Wings is quite nice (newer-looking/renovated, hardwood floors, etc.).

I live in Jeffersonian. The manager is really nice and helpful and maintenance is always on top of repairs. I won't be living here next year though. It is convenient to live near the school, but also stressful to be so close. I also don't like the carpets in my apartment. Plus you can hear every single footstep in the apartment above you. Price is fine, but you can get something much nicer a bit further out. Charlottesville has so many awesome things to see and do and I never take advantage of any of it, b/c I'm always up near the law school. A lot of my friends live further out and all of them really like the life/school balance it seems to give them.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:50 am

Also, what are peoples thoughts on this class Quantitative Methods with Fischman, has anyone taken it? Hard? Easy? Stay away if no math background?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”