UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby 005618502 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:14 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Are the Jeffersonian relatively nice? They look tiny. I have a 1 bedroom right now thats 850 sq. feet, thats larger than their 2 bedroom apartments. Anyone have any exp. living in one of the 2 bedrooms with a roomate?

I'm doing it right now and like it a lot. Of course I haven't lived in a one bedroom that's bigger than this apartment. I highly recommend the Jeffersonian though.

Did you know your roomate previously? or was it random/facebook find kind of thing?

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:15 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Are the Jeffersonian relatively nice? They look tiny. I have a 1 bedroom right now thats 850 sq. feet, thats larger than their 2 bedroom apartments. Anyone have any exp. living in one of the 2 bedrooms with a roomate?

I'm doing it right now and like it a lot. Of course I haven't lived in a one bedroom that's bigger than this apartment. I highly recommend the Jeffersonian though.

Did you know your roomate previously? or was it random/facebook find kind of thing?

I got the apartment here and posted on the UVA Law '14 Facebook page explaining the situation and what I was looking for in a roommate. I got a ton of responses and was able to pick one that I thought I'd get along with great. And we do.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:53 pm

I think there are a few apartments on Arlington that are more luxurious than the Jeffersonian (the ones directly across from the Jeffersonian have more square feet, hardwood floors, and bigger, mostly enclosed patios), and the ones that are furthest from the law school (around 2104) are also pretty nice. The Jeffersonian, IMO, is the best bang for your buck near the law school though, and it's still a really liveable place.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:01 pm

dailygrind wrote:I think there are a few apartments on Arlington that are more luxurious than the Jeffersonian (the ones directly across from the Jeffersonian have more square feet, hardwood floors, and bigger, mostly enclosed patios), and the ones that are furthest from the law school (around 2104) are also pretty nice. The Jeffersonian, IMO, is the best bang for your buck near the law school though, and it's still a really liveable place.

Any idea what the name of this place is? Is it still in walking distance to the LS?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:05 pm

Everything on Arlington is within walking distance to the law school. That particular complex is one of the closest ones to the law school; it's probably tied for second with the Jeffersonian. I don't remember the name off the top of my head, but when I bump into one of my friends that lives there, I'll ask them.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:08 pm

dailygrind wrote:Everything on Arlington is within walking distance to the law school. That particular complex is one of the closest ones to the law school; it's probably tied for second with the Jeffersonian. I don't remember the name off the top of my head, but when I bump into one of my friends that lives there, I'll ask them.

Awesome, thank you.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:58 pm

dailygrind wrote:Everything on Arlington is within walking distance to the law school. That particular complex is one of the closest ones to the law school; it's probably tied for second with the Jeffersonian. I don't remember the name off the top of my head, but when I bump into one of my friends that lives there, I'll ask them.

Awesome, thank you.

Dude, how many times have you deferred?

Postby 005618502 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:59 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:

Awesome, thank you.

just the once.... applied ED last cycle. Deferred from class of 2014 to class of 2015

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:01 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:

Awesome, thank you.

just the once.... applied ED last cycle. Deferred from class of 2014 to class of 2015

Was deferral tough to get?

Postby 005618502 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:03 pm

Nope, just asked for a request form. Jason emailed it to me same day. I asked for the deferral and my reason, and my status checker pushed me right into the class of 2015. You just have to have a legit reason I think.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:11 pm

Nope, just asked for a request form. Jason emailed it to me same day. I asked for the deferral and my reason, and my status checker pushed me right into the class of 2015. You just have to have a legit reason I think.

So staying in college an extra year for an anthropology minor to hit on freshmen should be good?

Postby 005618502 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:29 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:

So staying in college an extra year for an anthropology minor to hit on freshmen should be good?

hahaha sounds like a good reason to me. Sans the anthro minor (why waste $ on more classes that wont be beneficial?)

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:15 pm

1Ls have an exam on Monday and then their last one on Wednesday? That's a rough turnaround.

battle_tested

Postby battle_tested » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:55 pm

gladiator wrote:
The corner of Arlington and Emmet is a Taco Bell and a Wells Fargo...

My fault. Meant to say corner of Arlington and Millmont. The complex across from grad centre.

Also FWIW, do not go for grad centre. My friend pays more than I do (in a 2 bedroom) and its basically a glorified dorm room.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:01 pm

Awesome, thank you.

No problem. I'm not sure on the particulars of the housing for all of the nicer apartments, but at least some of them are managed by Real Properties (434 971 1600), and are part of the Arlington Court Condos.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:26 pm

5ky wrote:1Ls have an exam on Monday and then their last one on Wednesday? That's a rough turnaround.

Yea, Monday-Thursday-Monday-Wednesday is a lot shittier than our Monday-Thursday-Monday-Thursday last year.

Though, they do get two weeks after thanksgiving to our one last year.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:05 am

jawsthegreat wrote:
5ky wrote:1Ls have an exam on Monday and then their last one on Wednesday? That's a rough turnaround.

Yea, Monday-Thursday-Monday-Wednesday is a lot shittier than our Monday-Thursday-Monday-Thursday last year.

Though, they do get two weeks after thanksgiving to our one last year.

You guys get two weeks after thanksgiving?!?!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:14 pm

I'll probably be in C'ville in January - should I start looking at places then or just wait till ASW late March? Thanks

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:12 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:I'll probably be in C'ville in January - should I start looking at places then or just wait till ASW late March? Thanks

Depends where you want to live, some places (namely Jeffersonian) are very popular and likely require getting on the waitlist on January 1. Others will stay open for a while but are still worth looking at in January.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:29 pm

Does anyone have an idea what the curve looks like for jterms? Does everyone pretty much get a B+? Sorry if this is available somewhere else.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:Does anyone have an idea what the curve looks like for jterms? Does everyone pretty much get a B+? Sorry if this is available somewhere else.

Student records will have the curves for prior years classes. Beware about jterm I had several friends make worse grades than they anticipated in j term classes and with only 30ish credits 1L it can affect your gpa

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:05 am

Stringer Bell wrote:Does anyone have an idea what the curve looks like for jterms? Does everyone pretty much get a B+? Sorry if this is available somewhere else.

Definitely check student records. I think a lot have heavier B+ curves than regular classes.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:55 pm

I wouldn't worry about your J-term grade. It will likely not affect your GPA at all even if you score significantly below what you expect. Ex: if you are a B+ student and somehow score a B- in a 1 credit course it'll lower your GPA from a 3.3 to a 3.28. So even in the unlikely scenario where you are 2 grade deviations below your median, you're looking at a .02 difference so even with significant variation I would suspect that it is immaterial.

In all likelihood, you'd be looking at a .01-.02 variation which is probably as material as whether or not you clear your throat in an OGI interview or not.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:09 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:I wouldn't worry about your J-term grade. It will likely not affect your GPA at all even if you score significantly below what you expect. Ex: if you are a B+ student and somehow score a B- in a 1 credit course it'll lower your GPA from a 3.3 to a 3.28. So even in the unlikely scenario where you are 2 grade deviations below your median, you're looking at a .02 difference so even with significant variation I would suspect that it is immaterial.

In all likelihood, you'd be looking at a .01-.02 variation which is probably as material as whether or not you clear your throat in an OGI interview or not.

I agree with this pretty much, any change is going to be minimal. Even at the extremes (say a 3.7 GPA and getting a B-) still only drops you .036. Having a B/B- on the transcript, even if it doesn't materially lower your GPA, might not be optimal, but it's not going to really impact things.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:25 pm

5ky wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:I wouldn't worry about your J-term grade. It will likely not affect your GPA at all even if you score significantly below what you expect. Ex: if you are a B+ student and somehow score a B- in a 1 credit course it'll lower your GPA from a 3.3 to a 3.28. So even in the unlikely scenario where you are 2 grade deviations below your median, you're looking at a .02 difference so even with significant variation I would suspect that it is immaterial.

I agree with this pretty much, any change is going to be minimal. Even at the extremes (say a 3.7 GPA and getting a B-) still only drops you .036. Having a B/B- on the transcript, even if it doesn't materially lower your GPA, might not be optimal, but it's not going to really impact things.

Don't take a J-Term as a 1L. You won't have all your grades back by then. Some of you will be at or near the top of your class and a GPA drop from getting a B+ could be harmful (i.e., could make the difference at the end of 1L year between grading on to law review).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”