UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby sundance95 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:12 pm

Can any 2Ls share their thoughts on selecting 1L spring electives? Any professors we should look to specifically avoid?

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby gladiator » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:05 am

sundance95 wrote:Can any 2Ls share their thoughts on selecting 1L spring electives? Any professors we should look to specifically avoid?


Kitch, Dooley

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby RVP11 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:27 pm

sundance95 wrote:Can any 2Ls share their thoughts on selecting 1L spring electives? Any professors we should look to specifically avoid?


And, unless you have a 3.9+ after fall semester (or whatever GPA virtually guarantees you Law Review and gives you a shot at #1 in the class), it's also good to avoid George Cohen.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby sundance95 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Thanks. Can I tack on "and why?" to the end of my last question?

uvauvauva
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:02 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby uvauvauva » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:11 pm

morley.

théo
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:47 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby théo » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:20 pm

gladiator wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Can any 2Ls share their thoughts on selecting 1L spring electives? Any professors we should look to specifically avoid?


Kitch, Dooley


So don't take Corporations?

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby gladiator » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:48 pm

théo wrote:
gladiator wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Can any 2Ls share their thoughts on selecting 1L spring electives? Any professors we should look to specifically avoid?


Kitch, Dooley


So don't take Corporations?


Not with them.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19639
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby dailygrind » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:54 pm

uvauvauva wrote:morley.


This has been hashed out here before, and I'd like to join the side that likes the dude. He's got pretty strong ratings on lawweb, too. I'll grant that he's a bit younger and not quite as polished and infallible as some of the older profs, but he's very accessible outside of class, an energetic and talented lecturer, and a damn nice guy. He's definitely on my shortlist of profs I'd want to take a class with again.

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby desertlaw » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:02 pm

Avoid Laycock until 2L and 3L because he brings in some serious gunners.

Puttanesca
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Puttanesca » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:19 pm

Would it be a terribly bad idea to travel somewhere for Thanksgiving? My Tuesday classes the Tuesday before Thanksgiving were all canceled, so I have almost a week off. I know that I will be really busy studying for finals at that time, but it would be nice to get out of town and spend Thanksgiving break with family or friends.

Do most people end up staying in Cville over Thanksgiving break?

User avatar
itsirtou
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby itsirtou » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:38 pm

Puttanesca wrote:Would it be a terribly bad idea to travel somewhere for Thanksgiving? My Tuesday classes the Tuesday before Thanksgiving were all canceled, so I have almost a week off. I know that I will be really busy studying for finals at that time, but it would be nice to get out of town and spend Thanksgiving break with family or friends.

Do most people end up staying in Cville over Thanksgiving break?


I went home for Thanksgiving last year and I'm planning on doing so again this year. I don't think it'll doom you. (I fly from here to California, so I have a good 6-7 hours to study in the airport and plane, and then I didn't really study all break.)

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6344
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby 5ky » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:38 pm

Last year, the week after Thanksgiving was the last week of classes. This year, there are two weeks of classes after break, so it is a bit more feasible to not go all-out over Thanksgiving, I think.

StanleyF
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:38 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby StanleyF » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:50 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
barneytrouble wrote:For any current student that feels like answering:

I already know all the good stuff.. but .. Top 5 Least favorite things about UVA?


1. Too much rain.
2. Too much Jesus.
3. Class on Friday (during first semester of 1L).
4. Overly aggressive AC in one building.
5. No Vietnamese restaurant in C'ville.

I don't have a lot of complaints.

Also, you probably don't know all the good stuff.


I haven't been, but there is this place ... http://www.yelp.com/biz/saigon-cafe-charlottesville

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby plenipotentiary » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:38 pm

StanleyF wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:
barneytrouble wrote:For any current student that feels like answering:

I already know all the good stuff.. but .. Top 5 Least favorite things about UVA?


1. Too much rain.
2. Too much Jesus.
3. Class on Friday (during first semester of 1L).
4. Overly aggressive AC in one building.
5. No Vietnamese restaurant in C'ville.

I don't have a lot of complaints.

Also, you probably don't know all the good stuff.


I haven't been, but there is this place ... http://www.yelp.com/biz/saigon-cafe-charlottesville


Yay! If only I didn't already have dinner plans.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby sundance95 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:52 am

Can anyone who has taken a course with Leslie comment on his method/exam? Pm if you prefer.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:09 am

...
Last edited by Cavalier on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StanleyF
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:38 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby StanleyF » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:47 pm

Seneca wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:The mexican food blows for the most part (or at least what I've had)


This is what worries me. After living in California, it's going to be hard to do without.


La Michoacana is a hole-in-the-wall that has fantastic, real tacos.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:51 pm

StanleyF wrote:
Seneca wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:The mexican food blows for the most part (or at least what I've had)


This is what worries me. After living in California, it's going to be hard to do without.


La Michoacana is a hole-in-the-wall that has fantastic, real tacos.


I actually found that place last week and it definitely was legit.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby sundance95 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:01 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
StanleyF wrote:
Seneca wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:The mexican food blows for the most part (or at least what I've had)


This is what worries me. After living in California, it's going to be hard to do without.


La Michoacana is a hole-in-the-wall that has fantastic, real tacos.


I actually found that place last week and it definitely was legit.

Beautiful-will definitely try this. I miss real Mexican.

User avatar
esq
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby esq » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:08 am

Um, can anyone tell me where the job leads are in Symplicity? I'm not seeing any. Am I missing something here?

Badgers2012
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 11:29 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Badgers2012 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:21 am

If deciding between Michigan and UVA, what would you say is the main reason(s) why you would say to pick UVA?

User avatar
esq
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby esq » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:08 am

For the 1L section joys of getting destroyed by a hand-picked 2L-3L softball team during the first game of playoffs.

Badgers2012
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 11:29 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Badgers2012 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:42 am

esq wrote:For the 1L section joys of getting destroyed by a hand-picked 2L-3L softball team during the first game of playoffs.


Ha, thanks for the response. But actually all the things I've heard about fun things like just even the great amounts of softball played has been tilting me towards UVA so far

User avatar
Gecko of Doom
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Gecko of Doom » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:00 pm

esq wrote:For the 1L section joys of getting destroyed by a hand-picked 2L-3L softball team during the first game of playoffs.

Good to know my section was not the only one that ran into this.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby albanach » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:33 pm

Badgers2012 wrote:If deciding between Michigan and UVA, what would you say is the main reason(s) why you would say to pick UVA?


Why don't you try and come up with three reasons Michigan would be a better choice and post them. Then we can swiftly rebut.

Reasons for UVa over Michigan.

Weather:- Some people are still wearing shorts to class in Charlottesville. It won't even reach 60 degrees in Michigan between now and March.

Atmosphere:- UVA is the friendliest law school. You can always get a tough professor or a course you don't enjoy, but at UVA everyone appears to be having a great time. You miss a class because you're sick - people email you notes without your asking. One person has good notes for a particular professor or an outline that was successful, they share it. Seriously, you can spend three years being a law student, or three years being a happy law student.

Charlottesville:- It's a great place to live




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: trramic, White Dwarf, Wildcats17, Will McAvoy and 5 guests