UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sundance95

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby sundance95 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:10 pm

Gerry B wrote:great info

Thanks

upalittletoolate

Postby upalittletoolate » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:26 pm

Hey guys:

I have Johnston for Contracts, but the only thing on LawWeb atm is a 75 page "Class Notes and Assignments" PDF. Only problem is I can't seem to tell what the assignment for just the first class is. My TLS induced "LAW SCHOOL HELL" mentality is telling me the whole thing is due and I'm just a baby thinking anything less, but surely that can't be right?

Should I be looking somewhere else for his more specific assignments? I've been skimming around the PDF for a while now, but no luck. Anyone else?

esq

Postby esq » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:17 pm

pjo wrote:I don't get to town until tonight. I just checked the Courts and Commerce website and it doesn't have hours for Saturday or Sunday. How screwed am I going to be if I have to wait til Monday to get my books?

You know, when I was in there on Friday they said that they would be open this weekend. I had just made it in before closing on Friday and mentioned how I rushed over on my bike for this purpose when they told me that I could have come over the weekend anyway. I'm not sure if that meant that they were only open on both Saturday and Sunday, or just Saturday. I didn't ask.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:20 pm

upalittletoolate wrote:Hey guys:

I have Johnston for Contracts, but the only thing on LawWeb atm is a 75 page "Class Notes and Assignments" PDF. Only problem is I can't seem to tell what the assignment for just the first class is. My TLS induced "LAW SCHOOL HELL" mentality is telling me the whole thing is due and I'm just a baby thinking anything less, but surely that can't be right?

Should I be looking somewhere else for his more specific assignments? I've been skimming around the PDF for a while now, but no luck. Anyone else?

He will email you the assignment for day 1, or at least he did for us. The 75 pages is for the entire semester, and he will likely even skip some of it. Personally, I loved Johnston, and he was one of my favorite professors 1L.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:28 pm

esq wrote:
pjo wrote:I don't get to town until tonight. I just checked the Courts and Commerce website and it doesn't have hours for Saturday or Sunday. How screwed am I going to be if I have to wait til Monday to get my books?

You know, when I was in there on Friday they said that they would be open this weekend. I had just made it in before closing on Friday and mentioned how I rushed over on my bike for this purpose when they told me that I could have come over the weekend anyway. I'm not sure if that meant that they were only open on both Saturday and Sunday, or just Saturday. I didn't ask.

They might be open for special hours this particular weekend. You should call to check.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:54 pm

upalittletoolate wrote:Hey guys:

You might check the glass case by student records. A professor who really wanted to nail folks might only post an assignment there. At least, I'm not aware of any requirement that professors must post assignments on LawWeb.

esq

Postby esq » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:10 pm

I've been a step behind getting my hands on a used copy of Crim Law, Bonnie, 3d, on everything from the bookstore to Craigslist, and thought I'd just put this out there to any 2Ls with a copy: I've got a Benjamin with your name on it if you are willing to part with yours. PM me if interested.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:20 pm

sundance95 wrote:A professor who really wanted to nail folks might only post an assignment there.
I doubt you'll find a professor fitting that description. Even if you could, the worst he could do is embarrass a student on a cold call. Your grade is based entirely on the final. I wouldn't sweat it.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:07 am

Is it me or are these 1L's extra gunnerish? The first few I've met this year have been looking for outlines and ready to do practice exams. Hopefully the Biltmore and dandilions chills everyone out.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:19 am

desertlaw wrote:Is it me or are these 1L's extra gunnerish? The first few I've met this year have been looking for outlines and ready to do practice exams. Hopefully the Biltmore and dandilions chills everyone out.

Bad sample. I'm a 1L, so I can't compare to last year, but most of the people I've met have been fairly chill. Last night, I talked to a guy who couldn't remember what section he was in. I think that's damn chill.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:30 am

any advice on bug repellant?

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:23 am

crossingforHYS wrote:any advice on bug repellant?

As much DEET as you can handle. Probably causes cancer but damn if don't work like a charm.

pjo

Postby pjo » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:51 pm

esq wrote:I've been a step behind getting my hands on a used copy of Crim Law, Bonnie, 3d, on everything from the bookstore to Craigslist, and thought I'd just put this out there to any 2Ls with a copy: I've got a Benjamin with your name on it if you are willing to part with yours. PM me if interested.

+1. Wish I wouldn't have waited. That's the only book I can't find a good deal for.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:32 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
desertlaw wrote:Is it me or are these 1L's extra gunnerish? The first few I've met this year have been looking for outlines and ready to do practice exams. Hopefully the Biltmore and dandilions chills everyone out.

Bad sample. I'm a 1L, so I can't compare to last year, but most of the people I've met have been fairly chill. Last night, I talked to a guy who couldn't remember what section he was in. I think that's damn chill.

There was plenty of chill-ness about at the public service day.

esq

Postby esq » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:30 pm

sundance95 wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:

There was plenty of chill-ness about at the public service day.

+1

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Any incoming 1Ls in section B, with Dooley, or sections J or K, with Johnston for Contracts:

I'm selling a package deal of (1) the casebook, (2) the Selected Provisions of the Restatement/UCC that is also required (i.e. both of the required books), and (3) the Chirlstein on Contracts hornbook that is extraordinarily popular. It is here: http://www.amazon.com/Concepts-Analysis-Contracts-University-Textbook/dp/1587781972

Sections J and K (with Johnston) appear to have all three of these required. The Selected Provisions supplement has a few things highlighted. Chirlstein has very minimal highlighting. The casebook itself is highlighted and has some written note margins.

I have some assorted other books as well if you're interested. PM me if you'd like.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:32 pm

If any 2L is willing to part with a Glannon CivPro E&E for a reasonable price, please PM.

planQ

Postby planQ » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:16 pm

how was the quake i was hoping moving from cali would let me avoid those.

Gerry B

Postby Gerry B » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:14 pm

planQ wrote:how was the quake i was hoping moving from cali would let me avoid those.

I was inside the school when it happened and it wasn't too bad. I honestly thought it was just a train passing nearby or a horde of 1Ls stampeding upstairs for some reason. I know someone who was in the courtyard when it happened and she told me that she saw the entire school shaking and it freaked her out. Nothing like what you have in Cali I am sure. And it will probably be a while before we get another one.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:11 pm

So how did things go today, 1Ls? Any epic cold-call meltdowns?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:12 pm

5ky wrote:So how did things go today, 1Ls? Any epic cold-call meltdowns?

Mitchell instantly shit all over a couple kids in my Civ Pro, as was expected. Dooley was pretty unforgiving as well. Also, to anyone who has had Bonnie, what the hell is he talking about??????? Does he always just go off on random tangents that do not at all connect to the assigned readings?

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:09 pm

My section had it easy today. Just LRW and Contracts, which consisted of softballs from Geis.

I hear we might get a hard time with White in Torts tomorrow, though.

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:10 pm

I noticed tons of kids gunning today in class...I thought there weren't any gunners at UVA?

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:13 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:I noticed tons of kids gunning today in class...I thought there weren't any gunners at UVA?

I've noticed this a bit. I think class of 2014 might be a little gunnerific.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:16 pm

The first few weeks aren't really indicative of the rest of the year because a lot of people come in guns blazing and can't sustain the pace. There are definitely gunners at UVA, though.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”