UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
5ky

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby 5ky » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:22 pm

Sprigman's twitter page is also a weird collection of hyper-liberal rantings. It's a bit unusual.

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:49 pm

dailygrind wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:Section K:

Civil Procedure: N. Woolhandler
Torts: C. Sprigman
Criminal Law: D. Brown
Contracts: J. Johnston
Legal Research & Writing: D. Buck

Any thoughts on these professors? Also any suggestions for supplements? Also where are first assignments posted?

Johnston got mixed reviews, but there are far, far more positive than negative (mixed reviews are normal for many professors, I think. They tend to have strong personalities). I personally loved his class. Chirelstein is required, I believe, and I would recommend reading it before you read the assigned cases (I'd wait to buy it until after you see the syllabus - he assigns page numbers and it'd bea real hassle if the edition was wrong). You can get Farnsworth if you want, but I don't think it's necessary. We've got a copy in the library for when you feel stumped and you really need help with a topic.

Thanks

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:50 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
billyez wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:Section K:

Civil Procedure: N. Woolhandler
Torts: C. Sprigman
Criminal Law: D. Brown
Contracts: J. Johnston
Legal Research & Writing: D. Buck

Any thoughts on these professors? Also any suggestions for supplements? Also where are first assignments posted?

I hope you enjoy windmills, though I heard that Buck might be changing the subject. I can't be sure.

I liked Brown and echo joe's comments. No laptops allowed, for better and for worse. He can also be powerpoint heavy, but that didn't bother me - though it seemed to bother some folks for some reason.

(1) D. Brown - I've had two classes with Brown. I'm a big fan. He can be hard to follow at times, but he does a good overall job of explaining and breaking down concepts. He's incredibly nice and will give you lots of exam taking tips and outlining tips throughout the semester. His powerpoints are nice as well. He has a dry sense of humor.

(2) C. Sprigman - I'm not the biggest fan. He can be a very engaging lecturer, however, he was sort of a jerk to his trademark class last Fall.

(3) N. Woolhandler - I'm a big fan. She's very, very smart. She works hard at breaking down tough concepts and will (at least in admin law) always provide a review at the beginning of class of the prior class. She's great at explaining things during office hours. She's not the most dynamic lecturer but she cares about her students and cares about you learning the material.

Thanks

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:53 am

Yeah in regard to Sprigman I have heard stories of one class in particular that was really rough for students, there was a lot of reading and a really tough final. From what I can tell that was a one-shot deal and he was great before that. I had him in the spring for con law and he was fine. He did assign a lot of reading but I don't think it was so much that he was trying to get at us, he just assigned a lot of reading. Nelson assigned about the same amount so it was all in the ballpark. It's a ton of reading sometimes, welcome to law school.

Caleb Nelson is undersold in this thread. He is a force, simply a minor deity brought here to tell us about Pennoyer. There are rumors he will leave for Harvard all the time, so enjoy the ride. First off, he is brilliant. One of the smartest people I have ever been in a room with. The downside is he talks really fast during class. It's not tangents though, he preps extensively and revises notes for every class. His lectures are tight and fast with a lot of information (After 1 week of class I knew he had done policy debate at some point in his life, and he told me he did indeed debate in high school). Other Civ Pro classes will not know what you are talking about sometime because they don't have the same depth. The Glannon supplement is really useful but will also come up short at times. If you have to take Civ Pro, and you do, this may be the guy to take it from. I'm talking not just UVA but nationally.

He's also in the running for nicest guy ever. Seriously, he is really nice. He is also extremely helpful. This means the cold calls aren't too hard and if you can muddle through them with some effort it will be OK. He really tries to help on cold calls and feed you a thought that can spark an answer.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:54 am

crossingforHYS wrote:how about section d?

Nelson, Armacost, Low, and Verkerke (buck for legal writing)

I have a deep and abiding love for Armacost, she is a great prof who cares deeply about her student's success. That said, if you have to skip a little reading during the semester don't skip reading for her class. Her cold calls are legendary in their brutality if you didn't read and try and fake it. She does a great recap at the beginning of each class about the previous class so I'd make sure you are always on time and ready to take notes on everything she says in the beginning of class. Her final last year was very fair and she gives a ton of practice questions at the end of the semester. Talk to her after class too, she's very approachable and will help you out with even the dumbest of questions (trust me I had plenty).

billyez

Postby billyez » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:19 pm

I take back anything nice I ever said about Charlottesville traffic.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:45 pm

billyez wrote:I take back anything nice I ever said about Charlottesville traffic.

Why the fuck did you ever say something nice about it?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:24 pm

billyez wrote:I take back anything nice I ever said about Charlottesville traffic.

Move-in weekend noooo

esq

Postby esq » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:33 pm

So I just sank about $200 into my Crim Law book (and I was lucky enough to watch as the guy right next to me took the last used copy), and I wanted to know what the general consensus is on keeping the textbook after the class is done vs. selling the damn thing. Will I ever need the book again? I'm hoping that being a few years in, or finished in some of your cases, some of you have a good idea about this.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:35 pm

esq wrote:So I just sank about $200 into my Crim Law book (and I was lucky enough to watch as the guy right next to me took the last used copy), and I wanted to know what the general consensus is on keeping the textbook after the class is done vs. selling the damn thing. Will I ever need the book again? I'm hoping that being a few years in, or finished in some of your cases, some of you have a good idea about this.

As a rising 3L, I can say with near certainty you'll never need the damn thing again.

Also, when I went to sell back my Crim Law textbook, I got told it was being replaced by a new edition, and was offered $5 for it.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:56 pm

$5? thats terrible im glad i didnt even try.

I think you're better off selling it to someone who lives on The Range so they can burn in the winter months.

esq

Postby esq » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:10 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
esq wrote:So I just sank about $200 into my Crim Law book (and I was lucky enough to watch as the guy right next to me took the last used copy), and I wanted to know what the general consensus is on keeping the textbook after the class is done vs. selling the damn thing. Will I ever need the book again? I'm hoping that being a few years in, or finished in some of your cases, some of you have a good idea about this.

As a rising 3L, I can say with near certainty you'll never need the damn thing again.

Also, when I went to sell back my Crim Law textbook, I got told it was being replaced by a new edition, and was offered $5 for it.

Ouch. And that probably only because they changed the page numbers.

Gerry B

Postby Gerry B » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:20 am

vanwinkle wrote:

Every time I ask the bookstore, they never seem to offer more than $30 bucks for the books. I donate all my books to PILA (our Public Interest Law Association or whatever it stands for) and they sell the books back to make money for the organization. By the end of the semester, dumping them into the PILA bin is the best feeling in the world.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:18 am

pjo

Postby pjo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:41 am

I don't get to town until tonight. I just checked the Courts and Commerce website and it doesn't have hours for Saturday or Sunday. How screwed am I going to be if I have to wait til Monday to get my books?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:45 am

pjo wrote:I don't get to town until tonight. I just checked the Courts and Commerce website and it doesn't have hours for Saturday or Sunday. How screwed am I going to be if I have to wait til Monday to get my books?

Huh? I mean, most of the used copies will be sold out. But other than that it does not matter in the slightest.

pjo

Postby pjo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:48 am

5ky wrote:
pjo wrote:I don't get to town until tonight. I just checked the Courts and Commerce website and it doesn't have hours for Saturday or Sunday. How screwed am I going to be if I have to wait til Monday to get my books?

Huh? I mean, most of the used copies will be sold out. But other than that it does not matter in the slightest.

Alright. I just wasn't sure how pressed for time I would be for doing first day assignments.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:07 pm

I know this has already been asked, but where is the best place for a 1L to request a locker? I have two classes on the first floor of WB and three on the second floor of SL.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:41 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:I know this has already been asked, but where is the best place for a 1L to request a locker? I have two classes on the first floor of WB and three on the second floor of SL.

It's a preference thing, likely based on where you enter/exit the building. If you live in Ivy, Slaughter probably makes sense. If you live on Arlington, it might make more sense to have a locker in Withers.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:54 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:I know this has already been asked, but where is the best place for a 1L to request a locker? I have two classes on the first floor of WB and three on the second floor of SL.

It's a preference thing, likely based on where you enter/exit the building. If you live in Ivy, Slaughter probably makes sense. If you live on Arlington, it might make more sense to have a locker in Withers.

That was kind of my thinking. Thanks.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:18 pm

Haven't heard (or missed) commentary on the following profs:

Low for Crim
Setear for Contracts

I don't think they taught these courses last year, but they did in Fall '09, so any 3Ls out there have any thoughts? Also would love to hear impressions from other classes.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:37 pm

Any general tips on Mitchell for Civ Pro or thoughts about him?

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:48 pm

Read E/E.

No real need to show up unless you're bored. It was second in the morning for us so a lot of us went because we had class before and after. Since you have it in the AM, probably less of a need.

Entertaining though sometimes.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:50 pm

desertlaw wrote:Any general tips on Mitchell for Civ Pro or thoughts about him?

He's one of the most entertaining professors in the school. On the exam, he tries to trick you so make sure you read very carefully. His cold calls can be taxing but they're not mean spirited so just do the best you can.

Gerry B

Postby Gerry B » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:40 pm

sundance95 wrote:Haven't heard (or missed) commentary on the following profs:

Low for Crim
Setear for Contracts

I don't think they taught these courses last year, but they did in Fall '09, so any 3Ls out there have any thoughts? Also would love to hear impressions from other classes.

I didn't have Setear for contracts but I had him for International law. He is a really likeable, really funny professor. I think that international law was taught more like an undergrad political science class than a regular rigorous law school class. Obviously I can't speak how that translates to contracts. His exams tend to be typing monsters. He grades them by looking at your exam and giving you a point or a check mark for every relevant comment you make. The more you throw at him, the more points you can get and the higher your grade will be. In International law his exam was closed book.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”