UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
vamedic03

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:48 pm

WVUCelticFan wrote:Now that we know professors, where do we find syllabi/first assignments?

Some will post on law web: http://lawnotes2.law.virginia.edu

Some will post in the law school on the board outside of the student records office. Last I walked by there, there were a couple assignments posted.

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:54 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
WVUCelticFan wrote:Now that we know professors, where do we find syllabi/first assignments?

Some will post on law web: http://lawnotes2.law.virginia.edu

Some will post in the law school on the board outside of the student records office. Last I walked by there, there were a couple assignments posted.

Thanks. Apparently none of mine have uploaded anything yet.

For section e people, looks likes Harmon and O'Connell ban laptops during class.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:27 pm

Section I: Caleb Nelson, Alex Johnson, Bonnie, Barzun, and Moran.

Thoughts?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:31 pm

section B anyone? Mitchell, Duffy (new from GWU I believe,) Bonnie, Dooley

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:34 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:Section I: Caleb Nelson, Alex Johnson, Bonnie, Barzun, and Moran.

Thoughts?

Nelson and Barzun are awesome. Don't know much about the other two.

dontstopbelivin

Postby dontstopbelivin » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:11 pm

What about Section F? (Note: I realize some of these professors are already discussed above, but any additional comments are welcome):

Civ Pro: Ortiz
Crim Law: Brown
Contracts: Kordana
Torts: Abraham

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:12 pm

Section L:

CivPro: Ortiz
Torts: White
CrimLaw: Bowers
Contracts: Geis

Thoughts?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:16 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:Section I: Caleb Nelson, Alex Johnson, Bonnie, Barzun, and Moran.

Thoughts?

I has one of the best lineups. C is also very good.

omg

Postby omg » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:17 pm

Not to discourage people responding about professors here, but you 1Ls know that you can also read potentially hundreds of comments about each professor on Lawweb, right? They're under "Completed Course Evaluations" on the homepage.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:27 pm

5ky wrote:

Thoughts?

I has one of the best lineups. C is also very good.

I don't know about best, but it's definitely intense. 1L for section C is going to be like getting waterboarded Monday through Friday. Then again, I guess that's 1L in general. But this is definitely an intense lineup.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:31 pm

SO, a Law dictionary.

Do we need a paper one, or can we get by with the WestLaw copy of Black's? If we need a copy is the pocket edition sufficient?

I'm presuming that, if we need a dictionary, we can use any we like as long as it's Black's?

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:39 pm

albanach wrote:SO, a Law dictionary.

Do we need a paper one, or can we get by with the WestLaw copy of Black's? If we need a copy is the pocket edition sufficient?

I'm presuming that, if we need a dictionary, we can use any we like as long as it's Black's?

Unless you want to impress JOC, you don't need a paper copy. That said, I'll sell you mine if you want. :D

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:40 pm

albanach wrote:SO, a Law dictionary.

You don't need a dictionary.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:44 pm

Cavalier wrote:You don't need a dictionary.

Thanks for the replies.

Last thought as I look at sections. Are classes where multiple sections share a professor curved by section or by class?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:52 pm

albanach wrote:
Cavalier wrote:You don't need a dictionary.

Thanks for the replies.

Last thought as I look at sections. Are classes where multiple sections share a professor curved by section or by class?

Class.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:04 pm

omg wrote:Not to discourage people responding about professors here, but you 1Ls know that you can also read potentially hundreds of comments about each professor on Lawweb, right? They're under "Completed Course Evaluations" on the homepage.

Thanks, that's helpful.

I can't find Ortiz on there. Does he not normally teach Civil Procedure?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:07 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
omg wrote:Not to discourage people responding about professors here, but you 1Ls know that you can also read potentially hundreds of comments about each professor on Lawweb, right? They're under "Completed Course Evaluations" on the homepage.

Thanks, that's helpful.

No, he hasn't in a while. You'll have to look back several years.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:27 pm

Having looked, it appears 95% of professors at UVa are above average.

Perhaps student grading of professors should be curved.

pjo

Postby pjo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:50 pm

What's the opinion on "Recommended" texts. Should you buy those?

Also, what about different editions of a text?

omg

Postby omg » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:

Thanks, that's helpful.

If you know other classes that profs taught, you can also read their reviews there, as much will be the same (e.g., Nelson for Legislation, Sprigman for Trademark and Copyright, Setear for International Law, Harmon and Bowers for advanced crim classes...).

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:17 pm

omg wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:

Thanks, that's helpful.

If you know other classes that profs taught, you can also read their reviews there, as much will be the same (e.g., Nelson for Legislation, Sprigman for Trademark and Copyright, Setear for International Law, Harmon and Bowers for advanced crim classes...).

Thanks. I found him, though. Went back about five years in CivPro.

upalittletoolate

Postby upalittletoolate » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:32 pm

Section J: Garret, Duffy, J Johnson, Harmon

Anyone? Sorry, today's a travel day, so I'm doing my best to read others' comments on my phone as I drive.

ThreeYears

Postby ThreeYears » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:13 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
ThreeYears wrote:Section G:

CivPro: Spencer
Torts: Abraham
Crim Law: Low
Contracts: J. Setear

Any comments on the professors? Also when should we expect the casebooks to be revealed? Thanks a lot.
Whereas Torts as a subject (and, really, 1L classes as a whole) is generally descriptive in nature (i.e., this is what the law is), Abraham's class is entirely normative in nature (i.e., why ought/ought not the law to be structured a certain way?). You will learn very little about the definitions of the various kinds of torts (nuisance is the only one that I can remember there actually being a definition given, but even then it was simply a jumping-off point for a larger discussion about assignment of property rights). Whereas other Torts classes' finals will likely be of the "horse race" issue-spotter variety, Abraham's fact patterns are extremely short. He also gives roughly 2/3 of the class B+'s, his rationale being that the point system used by most other professors is more or less arbitrary in its awarding of different grades to students based on minute (and perhaps meaningless) differences. He's universally thought of as brilliant, but many students are scared to death of his cold calls. He awards no grade bump for performance in class, though, and encourages students to be willing to be wrong.

Perhaps most important of all, his hornbook is essentially the script for the class. Nearly verbatim.

Thank you so much.

Gerry B

Postby Gerry B » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:59 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
billyez wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:Section K:

Civil Procedure: N. Woolhandler
Torts: C. Sprigman
Criminal Law: D. Brown
Contracts: J. Johnston
Legal Research & Writing: D. Buck

Any thoughts on these professors? Also any suggestions for supplements? Also where are first assignments posted?

I hope you enjoy windmills, though I heard that Buck might be changing the subject. I can't be sure.

I liked Brown and echo joe's comments. No laptops allowed, for better and for worse. He can also be powerpoint heavy, but that didn't bother me - though it seemed to bother some folks for some reason.

(1) D. Brown - I've had two classes with Brown. I'm a big fan. He can be hard to follow at times, but he does a good overall job of explaining and breaking down concepts. He's incredibly nice and will give you lots of exam taking tips and outlining tips throughout the semester. His powerpoints are nice as well. He has a dry sense of humor.

(2) C. Sprigman - I'm not the biggest fan. He can be a very engaging lecturer, however, he was sort of a jerk to his trademark class last Fall.

(3) N. Woolhandler - I'm a big fan. She's very, very smart. She works hard at breaking down tough concepts and will (at least in admin law) always provide a review at the beginning of class of the prior class. She's great at explaining things during office hours. She's not the most dynamic lecturer but she cares about her students and cares about you learning the material.

On Sprigman, I heard that part of the reason he was so mean to his trademark class was because he was going through a rough time in his personal life. I had him in the Spring for con law and I thought that he was a good lecturer. His reading load was still high and when we would get behind in class, he would still assign more reading. Also, be forewarned. His exam has pretty strict word limits and he doesn't announce that ahead of time.

omg

Postby omg » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:19 pm

His CR exam didn't have word limits, so it seems to be a class-by-class thing.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”