UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Gecko of Doom

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Gecko of Doom » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:30 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
gladiator wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:OK. so I got to Cville on Monday. I understand that most people are not back at school, but it was mad boring in the ville. Just out of curiosity, how much more exciting does the town get during the school year?

Summer Monday-Wednesday is about as empty as it's going to get.

That's a relief to hear!

Ladies and gentlemen treasure these times. The warm summer nights in an empty Biltmore yard sling'n the baggo bag, no lines at Little Johns, cabs at the snap of your fingers. You can dance awkwardly at a half empty Three without being crushed. You can sample all the corner drunk food in short order. There are no lines at the bar! I remember when the undergrads showed up my 1L summer: anger, disappointment, disbelief.

I'm sort of dreading this. Does the traffic get as unspeakably horrible as I'm imagining?

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:36 pm

I'm sort of dreading this. Does the traffic get as unspeakably horrible as I'm imagining?

Also interested in this answer because I'm going to be driving to school everyday.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:41 pm

Traffic on 29 can become unbearable at times during the day.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:43 pm

I'm not too sure about traffic as I didn't have a car last year. I know 29 can be really busy during the day, it makes you wonder about the "small town" aspect when an 8 lane road is clogged at 2 P.M. The traffic on campus never seems too bad though and I don't recall ever being on the bypass, 250, and having problems. Again, I'm not the best guy to ask.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:15 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Cavalier wrote:I go to the place in the same section of Barracks as Staples. I forget what it's called though. It's a bit more expensive than Staples but it's quicker and better.

Hair Cuttery? I've been going there for a while and I find the skill level across cutters to be inconsistent. The trick, IMO, is to find one you like and stick with them.

I ended up going there when I couldn't find Staples. It wasn't bad, especially since I'm not used to getting my hair washed.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:19 pm

5ky wrote:Traffic on 29 can become unbearable at times during the day.

Agreed. Lunch time and ~5pm are pretty bad. I don't think I've driven early enough to hit the morning rush, but I assume that it exists ~8-9 AM. Also, it seems obvious but it still caught me unawares last year: attempting to drive in Charlottesville right after a home game ends can be an afternoon ruining decision.

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:36 pm

To the people living in the Grad Centre - do you think I could get a newspaper delivered, or would however the mail and what not is set up cause a problem?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:55 pm

WVUCelticFan wrote:To the people living in the Grad Centre - do you think I could get a newspaper delivered, or would however the mail and what not is set up cause a problem?

No idea. I've never tried since I don't read newspapers.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:04 pm

That's exaggerating. Anyone coming from a city won't find the traffic that bad.

Still, it does make sense to avoid the very busiest times - typically 7.45-8.30 in the morning and 5-5.45 in the evening. Avoiding those times by even five minutes can make a big difference to the time spent sitting in the car.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:09 pm

albanach wrote:

That's exaggerating. Anyone coming from a city won't find the traffic that bad.

Still, it does make sense to avoid the very busiest times - typically 7.45-8.30 in the morning and 5-5.45 in the evening. Avoiding those times by even five minutes can make a big difference to the time spent sitting in the car.

Yes, but they'll find it bad for being in Charlottesville. Charlottesville has horrible traffic for a city of its size.

billyez

Postby billyez » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:19 pm

5ky wrote:Yes, but they'll find it bad for being in Charlottesville. Charlottesville has horrible traffic for a city of its size.

That's pretty much the thought I had when I was stuck in traffic the first couple of times. But it's not unbearable - especially when compared to traffic jams in other cities.

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:26 pm

Cavalier wrote:
WVUCelticFan wrote:To the people living in the Grad Centre - do you think I could get a newspaper delivered, or would however the mail and what not is set up cause a problem?

No idea. I've never tried since I don't read newspapers.

Four years of being required to read the WSJ every morning has kept me from leaving newspapers for now.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:28 pm

I get all my news from Drudge Report. It's been my homepage since 2004!

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:40 pm

5ky wrote:Yes, but they'll find it bad for being in Charlottesville. Charlottesville has horrible traffic for a city of its size.

This. I expect traffic when I'm in a city, but not in "small town" Charlottesville.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:52 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:

This. I expect traffic when I'm in a city, but not in "small town" Charlottesville.
True story: last Tuesday, my wife went to pick up a pizza at Little Caesar's sometime around 5:30. Coming back, it took her 39 minutes to get from Rio to Hydraulic on 29.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:47 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:

True story: last Tuesday, my wife went to pick up a pizza at Little Caesar's sometime around 5:30. Coming back, it took her 39 minutes to get from Rio to Hydraulic on 29.

Okay, that's true but I believe there was an accident or something on 29 - I was there too, and live in the area. It was definitely not normal traffic. 29 was backed up from the 250 bypass to somewhere further north than Greenbrier.

Furthermore, traffic on 29 is backing up because of traffic on hydraulic that would normally take Georgetown southbound is forced onto 29 due to the Georgetown closure.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:06 am

I once drove from Alexandria to Fairfax (15 miles) and it took me 2.5 hours. I assume the traffic isn't that bad?

Also, I'll be coming to school from the south, on the bypass, getting off at Leonard Sandridge. Anyone know if I should expect the traffic to be bad coming from that direction in the mornings?

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:23 am

sundance95 wrote:I once drove from Alexandria to Fairfax (15 miles) and it took me 2.5 hours. I assume the traffic isn't that bad?

Also, I'll be coming to school from the south, on the bypass, getting off at Leonard Sandridge. Anyone know if I should expect the traffic to be bad coming from that direction in the mornings?

Leonard Sandridge makes things a good bit easier. The bridge at JPA is closed. http://www.charlottesville.org/index.aspx?page=2722 I don't know what that's doing to traffic if you'd normally be coming up JPA.

Still, I don't think there are 8am classes.By 8.30 things are a good bit calmer. That alone will be enough to miss the heaviest traffic. I'd expect you to be fine.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:46 am

830 am civpro is just as bad as horrible traffic, unfortunately.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:02 pm

albanach wrote:The bridge at JPA is closed.

Yeah, this sucks-I live in Fry's Spring and I have to either take Cherry to Shamrock or take a sketchy dirt road under the rail tracks. Hopefully it won't be a total cluster at Shamrock and JPA once classes start.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:23 pm

Securities Regulation is 80 people total, and it's currently at the 2/3L enrollment cap of 69. Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to my chances of sneaking in if I ride the waitlist the whole way through? The class conflicts with Walt's Bankruptcy (22 slots of 80 still open), and I'm hesitant to drop a decent doctrinal class to take what may be a crappy shot at Sec Reg.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:37 pm

dailygrind wrote:Securities Regulation is 80 people total, and it's currently at the 2/3L enrollment cap of 69. Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to my chances of sneaking in if I ride the waitlist the whole way through? The class conflicts with Walt's Bankruptcy (22 slots of 80 still open), and I'm hesitant to drop a decent doctrinal class to take what may be a crappy shot at Sec Reg.

I'm guessing your odds are decent. The cap of 69 is to reserve space for transfers, but since the class is popular only because of the professor, I don't think too many transfers will pursue it, assuming they don't know who the all-star professors are. I could be wrong, but I think you can ride the waitlist without dropping bankruptcy--but even if you can't, I don't see bankruptcy's enrollment increasing that much after the lottery.

Also see what happens when classes start. A lot of 3Ls like myself are all super excited about taking Mahoney, but as we begin the school year and realize that the credits we've accumulated permit us to take a lighter 3L course load, a few of us may drop. I'm probably going to have to drop either Remedies or Sec Reg if I don't get anywhere on this independent research paper before classes start.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:04 pm

Thanks. I guess I'll sit on my sure thing for now and see how enrollment numbers change as time goes on.

Islandgirl8671

Postby Islandgirl8671 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:55 am

Would you happen to know whether class handouts,etc. are typically on legal size paper? I am just wondering whether to buy a legal size (vs. letter size) filing cabinet. Thanks!

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:02 am

Islandgirl8671 wrote:Would you happen to know whether class handouts,etc. are typically on legal size paper? I am just wondering whether to buy a legal size (vs. letter size) filing cabinet. Thanks!
Letter. Despite the name, you'll never receive anything in law school on "legal-size" (8.5" X 14") paper.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”