UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
joemoviebuff

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby joemoviebuff » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:01 pm

Where's a good place to get a haircut around here?

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:05 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:Where's a good place to get a haircut around here?

What kind of hair cut you want and how much you want to spend would probably help. Since you probably don't want to spend $40+ if you're after a quick buzz cut.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:16 pm

albanach wrote:

What kind of hair cut you want and how much you want to spend would probably help. Since you probably don't want to spend $40+ if you're after a quick buzz cut.

I'm curious about this as well. I'm used to spending 25 bucks plus a 5 dollar tip.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:18 pm

albanach wrote:

Eh, probably 25 dollars or so. I don't need anything crazy, but I'm not at the point where I'll be having my roommate shave my head to save money yet.

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:26 pm

I really like Salon Druknya on the Downtown Mall. I had my hair cut by one of the owners (Gyaltsen) and it wasn't that expensive -- $35 (and he had to do some intensive cutting because I'm a woman and I'm growing my hair out so I was at the awkward mullet stage when I came in). They're all really nice down there and they validate parking, and it's right next to Sweetfrog and the Mudhouse which is super convenient.

Also, the Immigration Clinic at UVa helped Gyaltsen and his family get over here from Tibet, which was kind of cool to talk about while he was cutting my hair. He's awesome and if you can get in with him, do it.

(Oh, and one of my dude friends here also gets his hair cut by Gyaltsen and is really happy.)

billyez

Postby billyez » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:36 pm

Was I the only person who was90% satisfied with how lottery came out? Mainly bothered by the fact that my classes bump against Braga's short-term course.

bgdddymtty wrote:I was also disappointed, although not surprised, to not get Law and Game Theory. There were only two spots left before the lottery, after all. Instead I have Copyright in that timeslot, and my schedule has me in at 10 and out by 1 everyday. Sweetness!

Seriously, buddy, you were gunning for Law and Game Theory?

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:38 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
albanach wrote:

Eh, probably 25 dollars or so. I don't need anything crazy, but I'm not at the point where I'll be having my roommate shave my head to save money yet.

Chung's barber shop up Route 29. Fast, efficient, and they do a consistently decent job. ~$12. Far better than Staples, the traditional barber shop that tends to have a long wait and tends to give inconsistent cuts.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:40 pm

billyez wrote:Was I the only person who's 90% satisfied with how lottery came out? Mainly bothered by the fact that my classes bump against Braga's short-term course.

bgdddymtty wrote:I was also disappointed, although not surprised, to not get Law and Game Theory. There were only two spots left before the lottery, after all. Instead I have Copyright in that timeslot, and my schedule has me in at 10 and out by 1 everyday. Sweetness!

Seriously, buddy, Law and Game Theory?
That's how I roll, yo. I'm an economist at heart. Don't hate the player; hate the game theory.

By the way, are you at home(town) right now? I'm in your neck of the woods waiting on the Trinity Line as we speak.

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:42 pm

That's how I roll, yo. I'm an economist at heart. Don't hate the player; hate the game theory.

:|

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:44 pm

dgouzoul wrote:

:| is TCR.

billyez

Postby billyez » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:52 pm

Haters.

Yeah, I'm back in the best state in the Union now.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:52 pm

billyez wrote:Haters.

Hawaii?

billyez

Postby billyez » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:55 pm

You're a funny man.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:59 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:That's how I roll, yo. I'm an economist at heart. Don't hate the player; hate the game theory.

I thought it was pretty funny. Let the haters be your elevators.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:04 pm

billyez wrote:Haters.

If I weren't immediately hitching a ride down the road when interviews end today, I'd suggest we grab dinner. Alas, two ships passing in the night and all that.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:05 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Chung's barber shop up Route 29. Fast, efficient, and they do a consistently decent job. ~$12. Far better than Staples, the traditional barber shop that tends to have a long wait and tends to give inconsistent cuts.

TITCR. You might want to take a picture in with you, as there can be a bit of a language barrier.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:08 pm

I go to the place in the same section of Barracks as Staples. I forget what it's called though. It's a bit more expensive than Staples but it's quicker and better.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:09 pm

Cavalier wrote:I go to the place in the same section of Barracks as Staples. I forget what it's called though. It's a bit more expensive than Staples but it's quicker and better.

Hair Cuttery? I've been going there for a while and I find the skill level across cutters to be inconsistent. The trick, IMO, is to find one you like and stick with them.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:17 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:Chung's barber shop up Route 29. Fast, efficient, and they do a consistently decent job. ~$12. Far better than Staples, the traditional barber shop that tends to have a long wait and tends to give inconsistent cuts.

TITCR. You might want to take a picture in with you, as there can be a bit of a language barrier.
The missus generally cuts my hair, but I went to Chung's and got a shave after keeping my finals beard for the first half of the summer. Eighteen dollars extremely well-spent.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:32 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:

The missus generally cuts my hair, but I went to Chung's and got a shave after keeping my finals beard for the first half of the summer. Eighteen dollars extremely well-spent.

What about hair cuts for women? Know of any good places?

bertstare

Postby bertstare » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:03 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
dgouzoul wrote:

--ImageRemoved-- is TCR.

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:11 pm

Puttanesca wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:

What about hair cuts for women? Know of any good places?

Moxie is really great -- a bit pricier (~$50) but it's worth it.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:27 pm

dailygrind wrote:The trick, IMO, is to find one you like and stick with them.

This is credited, but really for any place. Chains do seem to have a greater degree of variability though. The same person has been cutting my hair for the last 6 years. It's going to be weird going to someone new.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:08 pm

gladiator wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:OK. so I got to Cville on Monday. I understand that most people are not back at school, but it was mad boring in the ville. Just out of curiosity, how much more exciting does the town get during the school year?

Summer Monday-Wednesday is about as empty as it's going to get.

That's a relief to hear!

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:13 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
gladiator wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:OK. so I got to Cville on Monday. I understand that most people are not back at school, but it was mad boring in the ville. Just out of curiosity, how much more exciting does the town get during the school year?

Summer Monday-Wednesday is about as empty as it's going to get.

That's a relief to hear!

Ladies and gentlemen treasure these times. The warm summer nights in an empty Biltmore yard sling'n the baggo bag, no lines at Little Johns, cabs at the snap of your fingers. You can dance awkwardly at a half empty Three without being crushed. You can sample all the corner drunk food in short order. There are no lines at the bar! I remember when the undergrads showed up my 1L summer: anger, disappointment, disbelief.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”