UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sccjnthn

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby sccjnthn » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:03 pm

sccjnthn wrote:Any recommendations on whether I should take Hynes-Law and Business (TR) or Walt (MW) for Secured transactions?

I will be taking Walt's Bankruptcy Class (MW) and my other classes will be TR if that makes a difference.

Any thoughts? The course evaluations for both professors seems to be roughly the same.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:29 pm

sccjnthn wrote:
sccjnthn wrote:Any recommendations on whether I should take Hynes-Law and Business (TR) or Walt (MW) for Secured transactions?

I will be taking Walt's Bankruptcy Class (MW) and my other classes will be TR if that makes a difference.

Any thoughts? The course evaluations for both professors seems to be roughly the same.

Someone earlier said one Walt class is enough at a time, because he is pretty dull. So on that I'd suggest Hynes, but that'd be my only reason why.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:53 am

I really liked Hynes and certainly would not describe him as "dull." He cold calls a little bit too much, at least in the class I took, but it was his first time teaching it. I think he'll be more comfortable in classes he knows and classes that are less open ended. He's a really smart guy and really lively. Not knowing anything about Walt, I would take Hynes given the experience I've had. I guess my thought is: knowing Hynes, do I think my chances are high enough that I get a better professor that it is worth it to forego Hynes? I think my (and your) chance are probably pretty low.

EDIT

* To comment on the employment panic: I think it's being blown out of proportion. Of the people I know well to talk grades/OGIs, one had a rough go of things and the rest are doing really well. Not a representative sample, trust me, I know. Still, once preselects are done being picked and the lottery runs I think things will be fine.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:04 pm

what are the bennies/negatives in being a part of SBA? and is it worth it?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:26 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:what are the bennies/negatives in being a part of SBA? and is it worth it?

Any benefits would be on an individual level, i.e. you actually enjoy doing it.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:26 pm

So should we be expecting course lottery results today?

sccjnthn

Postby sccjnthn » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:35 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:

I really liked Hynes and certainly would not describe him as "dull." He cold calls a little bit too much, at least in the class I took, but it was his first time teaching it. I think he'll be more comfortable in classes he knows and classes that are less open ended. He's a really smart guy and really lively. Not knowing anything about Walt, I would take Hynes given the experience I've had. I guess my thought is: knowing Hynes, do I think my chances are high enough that I get a better professor that it is worth it to forego Hynes? I think my (and your) chance are probably pretty low.

EDIT

* To comment on the employment panic: I think it's being blown out of proportion. Of the people I know well to talk grades/OGIs, one had a rough go of things and the rest are doing really well. Not a representative sample, trust me, I know. Still, once preselects are done being picked and the lottery runs I think things will be fine.

Thanks for the post. Really helped me clear things up.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:36 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:what are the bennies/negatives in being a part of SBA? and is it worth it?

It's no different than student government at high school and college. If you like that sort of stuff, join, and if not, don't join.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:15 pm

good to know, I didn't know if SBA was a different animal in Law School (silly I know.)

Thank you for the replies!

Wahoo1L

Postby Wahoo1L » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:31 am

I took both Secured Transactions and Bankruptcy and had both Walt and Hynes. Both professors are pretty good but neither is clearly better than the other.

Walt is very thorough in his explanations and conveys the material well. While the class can be dry, Walt is enthusiastic about the material which is helpful. Also, it seems to be a trend that his classes fall behind in the reading and don't seem to end up covering the entire class. This can be good and bad. On the one hand the reading ends up being fairly light, on the other, you don't really cover the whole course.

Hynes is a good communicator and does a decent job of teaching the material. Between Hynes and Walt, Hynes is the more entertaining professor. That being said, Hynes seems to make careless errors in lectures and exams such as stating the wrong code section or using incorrect dates on exams.

The classes are interesting and the professors are fairly good. I would recommend taking whichever professor fits better with your schedule.

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:59 pm

Between:
International - Verdier
Bankruptcy - Walt
Agency - Cohen
Conlaw II: Speech - Schauer

Which one should I dump? Yes, I know I have to take 12 credits, but these are the classes I'm deciding between, plus another 4 credit.
Last edited by wackjickham on Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:02 pm

wackjickham wrote:Between:
International - Verdier
Bankruptcy - Walt
Agency - Cohen

Which one should I dump? Yes, I know I have to take 13 credits, but these are the classes I'm deciding between, plus another 4 credit.

Schauer's an expert in the field--I'd love to take that class. Agency is kind of dull but I like Cohen's grading style. Don't know anything about the other two classes.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:15 pm

Class lottery was rather disappointing. Snagged Admin, but none of my other top choices. Suppose I'm not surprised that Mahoney's class was full, but getting closed out of Law and Game Theory is a huge surprise. Who takes that shit?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:18 pm

What's this second (or third, I guess you could call it) lottery that they're talking about?

ReelectClayDavis

Postby ReelectClayDavis » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:25 pm

Which one should I dump? Yes, I know I have to take 13 credits, but these are the classes I'm deciding between, plus another 4 credit.

Schauer should be great for First Amendment stuff (introduced himself as a former "smut lawyer"). Don't know the other profs.

Pretty sure the minimum load for a 2L or 3L semester is 12 credits, no?

11) Students must be enrolled in at least 12 credits per semester during the regular academic year, regardless of the number of credits completed in summer school.
Academic Policies book on LawWeb, page 10

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, relevant to my interests.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:25 pm

dailygrind wrote:Class lottery was rather disappointing. Snagged Admin, but none of my other top choices. Suppose I'm not surprised that Mahoney's class was full, but getting closed out of Law and Game Theory is a huge surprise. Who takes that shit?
I was also disappointed, although not surprised, to not get Law and Game Theory. There were only two spots left before the lottery, after all. Instead I have Copyright in that timeslot, and my schedule has me in at 10 and out by 1 everyday. Sweetness!

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:30 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
dailygrind wrote:Class lottery was rather disappointing. Snagged Admin, but none of my other top choices. Suppose I'm not surprised that Mahoney's class was full, but getting closed out of Law and Game Theory is a huge surprise. Who takes that shit?
I was also disappointed, although not surprised, to not get Law and Game Theory. There were only two spots left before the lottery, after all. Instead I have Copyright in that timeslot, and my schedule has me in at 10 and out by 1 everyday. Sweetness!

I didn't look because I figured there wouldn't be a great deal of interest. I guess I underestimated the number of poli sci and econ students who are skating/keeping their game theory sharp.

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:30 pm

ReelectClayDavis wrote:

Schauer should be great for First Amendment stuff (introduced himself as a former "smut lawyer"). Don't know the other profs.

Pretty sure the minimum load for a 2L or 3L semester is 12 credits, no?

11) Students must be enrolled in at least 12 credits per semester during the regular academic year, regardless of the number of credits completed in summer school.
Academic Policies book on LawWeb, page 10

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, relevant to my interests.

You're right, typo on my part.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:32 pm

Cavalier wrote:
International - Verdier
Bankruptcy - Walt
Agency - Cohen

Schauer's an expert in the field--I'd love to take that class. Agency is kind of dull but I like Cohen's grading style. Don't know anything about the other two classes.

I just want to say that one of my biggest regrets about leaving was not getting to take a class with Schauer. Amend I stuff ought to be especially good if taught by him. Don't even think about dumping that if you were lucky enough to get in.

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:43 pm

International - Verdier
Bankruptcy - Walt
Agency - Cohen

Which one should I dump? Yes, I know I have to take 12 credits, but these are the classes I'm deciding between, plus another 4 credit.

Get rid of bankruptcy so I can take it.

Got shut out of 2 of my top choices and all of my alternates. Not happy :x

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:01 pm

berkeleykel06 wrote:
International - Verdier
Bankruptcy - Walt
Agency - Cohen

Get rid of bankruptcy so I can take it.

Got shut out of 2 of my top choices and all of my alternates. Not happy :x
I'm dropping BK, so there'll be at least one spot open.

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Dammit, didn't get into my top choice and I'm really bummed about it (Coughlin's seminar). Is there a waitlist we can get on?

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:28 pm

OK. so I got to Cville on Monday. I understand that most people are not back at school, but it was mad boring in the ville. Just out of curiosity, how much more exciting does the town get during the school year?

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:38 am

yngblkgifted wrote:OK. so I got to Cville on Monday. I understand that most people are not back at school, but it was mad boring in the ville. Just out of curiosity, how much more exciting does the town get during the school year?

Depends on whether or not I decide to go out.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:17 am

yngblkgifted wrote:OK. so I got to Cville on Monday. I understand that most people are not back at school, but it was mad boring in the ville. Just out of curiosity, how much more exciting does the town get during the school year?

Summer Monday-Wednesday is about as empty as it's going to get.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”