UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
whattodo2008

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby whattodo2008 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:24 am

I signed up for a writing class -- 3 credits. Not sure if I want to do it, but gotta do it some time. How much does the work vary compared to other classes/how does the grading work (do the profs usually give a lot of B+s in the smaller writing classes?)? Thanks.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:37 pm

I've read a lot of posts elsewhere on TLS that recommend networking to aid you in your future hunt for employment.

Given the lack of local biglaw, what's on offer at UVa to help you make contacts, did you use them and do you think it really helps?

Thanks!

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:17 pm

albanach wrote:I've read a lot of posts elsewhere on TLS that recommend networking to aid you in your future hunt for employment.

Given the lack of local biglaw, what's on offer at UVa to help you make contacts, did you use them and do you think it really helps?

Thanks!

networking is an kind of like an art. You have to have the personality to do it.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:37 pm

Would you recommend purchasing a laptop through the law school? I found those same models offered by the law school for significantly cheaper on Amazon. I know purchasing through the school comes with some advantages, like getting a loaner laptop while the laptop is being repaired, but I will have two laptops, so I don't think this would be a selling point. Are there any other major advantages I would get if I purchased through the school, or should I save some money and buy off Amazon?

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:42 pm

Puttanesca wrote:Would you recommend purchasing a laptop through the law school? I found those same models offered by the law school for significantly cheaper on Amazon. I know purchasing through the school comes with some advantages, like getting a loaner laptop while the laptop is being repaired, but I will have two laptops, so I don't think this would be a selling point. Are there any other major advantages I would get if I purchased through the school, or should I save some money and buy off Amazon?

most have said to buy off amazon.

I purchased through the school b/c I want to be able to have a back up ready if something happens during an exam. That's just for my piece of mind, and I got a macbook so it wasnt significantly cheaper to get it in the store. Plus they add all the uva stuff on it.

If you are going for the PC, I would def. suggest getting it outside of the school---the dell is SOOO much more expensive through the school!

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:43 pm

Puttanesca wrote:Would you recommend purchasing a laptop through the law school? I found those same models offered by the law school for significantly cheaper on Amazon. I know purchasing through the school comes with some advantages, like getting a loaner laptop while the laptop is being repaired, but I will have two laptops, so I don't think this would be a selling point. Are there any other major advantages I would get if I purchased through the school, or should I save some money and buy off Amazon?
The loaner is really it. Even if you didn't have a second laptop, you'd probably save enough money by buying on your own to go to Best Buy and buy a second laptop if your main rig was to blow up.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:43 pm

uvahooo wrote:
albanach wrote:I've read a lot of posts elsewhere on TLS that recommend networking to aid you in your future hunt for employment.

Thanks!

networking is an kind of like an art. You have to have the personality to do it.

That's a fair point, but doesn't really answer my question. The best networker in the world will struggle if there's no one around to network with.

Clearly if you're in DC or NYC there's a plethora of biglaw associates and partners you can meet and network with. The same can hardly be said of Charlottesville. So does the law school do much to overcome this imbalance? If so did anyone take advantage and do they think it's been helpful?

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:46 pm

I wish TLS allowed users to change their usernames. I'm sad that crossing is forced to live in the past rather than embrace her new-found love. :P

(Of course, maybe you're planning on pulling a vanwinkle and going all George and Weezie after 1L. If so, the name is still quite apropos.)

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:16 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:I wish TLS allowed users to change their usernames. I'm sad that crossing is forced to live in the past rather than embrace her new-found love. :P

(Of course, maybe you're planning on pulling a vanwinkle and going all George and Weezie after 1L. If so, the name is still quite apropos.)

I'm sad they won't let me chnage it too :(. I love uva---and its def. Not evident from the screename. I appreciate your sympathy tough! :)

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:28 pm

Buy the laptop on Amazon. Just make sure to get Amazon Prime before you do it. I still think the school packages are way too expensive. Also don't anyone be a fool and get some steel gaming i7 package with Beats by Dre. Your computing needs in law school can be met by some string and a car battery, it's almost useless to upgrade. Anything on the market will be sufficient.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:58 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Buy the laptop on Amazon. Just make sure to get Amazon Prime before you do it. I still think the school packages are way too expensive. Also don't anyone be a fool and get some steel gaming i7 package with Beats by Dre. Your computing needs in law school can be met by some string and a car battery, it's almost useless to upgrade. Anything on the market will be sufficient.
Free is a very good price: http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

ReelectClayDavis

Postby ReelectClayDavis » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:02 pm

Are there any courses or clinics that require Criminal Investigations + Criminal Adjudication, that one cannot use the standard Criminal Procedure survey course as a prerequisite for instead?

Tempted to just take the survey course with Bowers this fall, seems like the clinics just require any one of the three so I'll be fine with the survey course for Prosecution or Defense clinic. Are there compelling reasons to go out of the way and take CI and CA instead of the survey?

Thanks all.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:44 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Buy the laptop on Amazon. Just make sure to get Amazon Prime before you do it. I still think the school packages are way too expensive. Also don't anyone be a fool and get some steel gaming i7 package with Beats by Dre. Your computing needs in law school can be met by some string and a car battery, it's almost useless to upgrade. Anything on the market will be sufficient.
Free is a very good price: http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

Yep, I already have Amazon Prime. I already used up the free membership during my last year of undergrad, but I can renew for half-price since I will still be in school. Definitely going to renew since I order so much stuff from Amazon.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:03 pm

As far as laptops go--and I know I've said this before (probably in this thread)--don't even think about getting their Dell. I got a gaming-quality laptop for half the price, and I don't need their silly loaner program because if something goes wrong with mine, I can go to Best Buy get a laptop that can meet my immediate needs (Internet and Microsoft Office) and still have paid less (for the original laptop plus the Best Buy laptop) than the cost of the Dell bundle.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:44 pm

ReelectClayDavis wrote:Are there any courses or clinics that require Criminal Investigations + Criminal Adjudication, that one cannot use the standard Criminal Procedure survey course as a prerequisite for instead?

Tempted to just take the survey course with Bowers this fall, seems like the clinics just require any one of the three so I'll be fine with the survey course for Prosecution or Defense clinic. Are there compelling reasons to go out of the way and take CI and CA instead of the survey?

Thanks all.

No clinics require the investigation+adjudication combination. I am not aware of any classes that require it either. You would be fine taking criminal procedure survey. I think the only reasons to take either investigation or investigation + adjudication instead of the crim pro survey are:

(1) You have a strong interest in criminal procedure. It's a pretty interesting and fun area of the law.

(2) You have a strong desire to take either Rachel Harmon or Anne Coughlin (Prof. Armacost is also supposed to be an excellent professor, but more people have mixed feelings). Both are very popular professors and are worth taking if you haven't taken them yet.

(3) Investigation works better for your schedule.

Also, Prof. Bowers is a young professor, but I've hear very good things about him and his primary research focus is on criminal issues (and is pretty interesting).

omg

Postby omg » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:54 pm

vamedic03 wrote:(2) You have a strong desire to take either Rachel Harmon or Anne Coughlin (Prof. Armacost is also supposed to be an excellent professor, but more people have mixed feelings). Both are very popular professors and are worth taking if you haven't taken them yet.

I know OP mentioned taking Bowers for CPS, but Harmon is also teaching it in the spring, so s/he doesn't need to take CI+CA to have a class with her.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:02 pm

omg wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:(2) You have a strong desire to take either Rachel Harmon or Anne Coughlin (Prof. Armacost is also supposed to be an excellent professor, but more people have mixed feelings). Both are very popular professors and are worth taking if you haven't taken them yet.

I know OP mentioned taking Bowers for CPS, but Harmon is also teaching it in the spring, so s/he doesn't need to take CI+CA to have a class with her.

Though, I've heard better things about her CI class than her crim pro survey class.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:05 pm

So, I am having lunch with an alum today...any suggestions on what to ask? they did very well at UVa when they were there and now work in the market I want to get into....

(if this is too vague of a question...let me know and I will pm people with specifics.)

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:13 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:So, I am having lunch with an alum today...any suggestions on what to ask? they did very well at UVa when they were there and now work in the market I want to get into....

(if this is too vague of a question...let me know and I will pm people with specifics.)
Butter him(/her) up. Let him talk about himself. Ask him what techniques he employed that allowed him to do well. Ask him what he has learned in practice that he wished he knew in law school. If it's not your hometown, ask him what he loves/doesn't love about working/living in the market.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:20 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:So, I am having lunch with an alum today...any suggestions on what to ask? they did very well at UVa when they were there and now work in the market I want to get into....

Butter him(/her) up. Let him talk about himself. Ask him what techniques he employed that allowed him to do well. Ask him what he has learned in practice that he wished he knew in law school. If it's not your hometown, ask him what he loves/doesn't love about working/living in the market.

Thank you!

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:03 am

Are there easily accessible outlets in the classrooms to plug in a laptop? I am trying to decide between a couple of laptops with different battery lives.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:04 am

Puttanesca wrote:Are there easily accessible outlets in the classrooms to plug in a laptop? I am trying to decide between a couple of laptops with different battery lives.

Every classroom except some small seminar rooms will have ample outlets, and most people will be on plugged in laptops during class.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:05 am

Puttanesca wrote:Are there easily accessible outlets in the classrooms to plug in a laptop? I am trying to decide between a couple of laptops with different battery lives.

What do you think this is, the 20th century? There are outlets on every desk!

transferquest

Postby transferquest » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:26 am

Any tips on registering for classes? I'm an incoming transfer and would like some input - i'm trying to find the schedule of courses online and having difficulty.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:31 am

transferquest wrote:Any tips on registering for classes? I'm an incoming transfer and would like some input - i'm trying to find the schedule of courses online and having difficulty.

LawWeb ---> Current Courses (middle column). That'll let you see the classes for this fall and spring. I don't know the mechanics of transfer registration, but if you register the same as rising 2Ls, that will be this week, and you submit a prioritized list of classes for the lottery.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”