UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sundance95

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:16 pm

No worries, was 99% sure that was the case but didn't want to miss out on a ninja-style way to be able to choose if one existed. :lol:

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:41 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Next year I definitely plan to do libel show.

Good life choice!

joeshmo39 wrote: and my secondary journal. .

Well, we all have our crosses to bear.

joeshmo39 wrote:I'm also on trial ad and extramural moot court..

Oh. Well.

joeshmo39 wrote:I've already scheduled a moot court tournament, it's in November (dangerously close to finals, but that's life). I may do a trial ad tournament depending on how things shake out.

Jinkies.

joeshmo39 wrote:If I did one extramural tournament in the fall, plus Lile, plus cite checks, plus OGIs, would my head explode? .

Yes. (NB: happens to a lot of 2Ls, you won't stand out for having your head explode 2L fall)

joeshmo39 wrote:Do employers care at all about Lile? .

No.

joeshmo39 wrote:Has it helped anyone at any point in life after OGI? .

No.

joeshmo39 wrote: Was it rewarding for those who competed? .

Probably, it's theoretically a fun sort of thing to do.

joeshmo39 wrote:Keeping with advice I've received on this forum, I'm not going to put Lile on my OGI resume so that I will have more time to decide. .

Prudent!

joeshmo39 wrote:However, I'd like to get some input ahead of time.

That's why we're here.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:15 pm

If you include the Spring professors, I'd say:

Best sections: A, L
Middle sections: C, D, F, G, H
Worst sections: B, E, I, J, K

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:20 pm

Section C has the best profs by far. Coughlin & Heytens? #winning

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:21 pm

gladiator wrote:If you include the Spring professors, I'd say:

Best sections: A, L
Middle sections: C, D, F, G, H
Worst sections: B, E, I, J, K

Tacking on Schauer to C for Spring should move them to near the top, imo.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:36 pm

How crucial is being at class every single day? I have a pretty important conflict on a Monday in September. Is it a big deal to miss class and have someone to take notes?

barry

Postby barry » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:41 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:How crucial is being at class every single day? I have a pretty important conflict on a Monday in September. Is it a big deal to miss class and have someone to take notes?

not a big deal to miss one class, just have someone send you notes...

btw when do 2L's sign up for classes?

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:57 pm

barry wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:How crucial is being at class every single day? I have a pretty important conflict on a Monday in September. Is it a big deal to miss class and have someone to take notes?

Whenever Cary Bennett feels like doing work.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:00 pm

gladiator wrote:
barry wrote:

It's funny because it's true!

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:10 pm

Not a big deal. Missing one class will matter 0. Hell, I probably attended less than 75% of classes in the fall and did just fine. Get the notes and don't worry about it.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:17 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
gladiator wrote:
barry wrote:

It's funny because it's true!

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:34 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:

Not a big deal. Missing one class will matter 0. Hell, I probably attended less than 75% of classes in the fall and did just fine. Get the notes and don't worry about it.

can we turn this thread into another how-many-cold-calls-did-jaws-bomb-and-still-do-okay LULZ

billyez

Postby billyez » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:42 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
Cavalier wrote:The remaining all-stars are, in my opinion, Coughlin, Nelson, Abraham, and Geis.
<---Had two of those professors first semester last year

I know I've asked you about Abraham, but what did you think of Geis? PM away if you prefer.
Last edited by billyez on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:16 pm

billyez wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
Cavalier wrote:The remaining all-stars are, in my opinion, Coughlin, Nelson, Abraham, and Geis.
<---Had two of those professors first semester last year

I know I've asked you about Abraham, but would did you think of Geis? PM away if you prefer.
Geis is bomb. Entertaining, clear, funny. In Contracts, he gave us both a review session with accompanying PowerPoint (no need for an outline!) and two practice exams with scoring rubrics. Other than a better performance on the final, I couldn't have asked for more out of that class.

Oh, and he's dreamy. But you already knew that.

Va L Rev Stud

Postby Va L Rev Stud » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:16 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Va L Rev Stud wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Well if it doesn't fit than don't do it. But I think a common style of PS is to end with a paragraph about why you want to go to law school. If that's how yours is, then make the paragraph specifically about UVA rather than law school in general.

Why did you want to go to UVa, friend?

Because they would admit me?

Oh, what a scholar?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:02 pm

Va L Rev Stud wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
Va L Rev Stud wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Well if it doesn't fit than don't do it. But I think a common style of PS is to end with a paragraph about why you want to go to law school. If that's how yours is, then make the paragraph specifically about UVA rather than law school in general.

Why did you want to go to UVa, friend?

Because they would admit me?

Oh, what a scholar?

Misuse of meme; yellow card.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:07 am

Geis is overrated. Nowhere close to the caliber of Abraham, Nelson, Collins, Coughlin, etc. He plays some hide-the-ball in both Contracts and Corporate Finance. People like him because he's attractive and entertaining, but entertainment =/= learning.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:58 am

We got some e-mail from Carey Bennett today. So it looks like 2L lottery for classes and OGI bidding ends at the same exact time. Except OSC let us see/play with ours for a few months. Bennett only gives us a few days. Comments? Thoughts?

Also missing from UVa's website is anything about Yared Getachew, public service dean. Anyone know why he left? Looks like they already filled his position.

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:14 am

desertlaw wrote:We got some e-mail from Carey Bennett today. So it looks like 2L lottery for classes and OGI bidding ends at the same exact time. Except OSC let us see/play with ours for a few months. Bennett only gives us a few days. Comments? Thoughts?

Also missing from UVa's website is anything about Yared Getachew, public service dean. Anyone know why he left? Looks like they already filled his position.

I heard he went biglaw

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:38 am

desertlaw wrote:We got some e-mail from Carey Bennett today. So it looks like 2L lottery for classes and OGI bidding ends at the same exact time. Except OSC let us see/play with ours for a few months. Bennett only gives us a few days. Comments? Thoughts?

he's at the Hague

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:39 am

Of all his transgressions, this one isn't all that bad. The first lottery period is only for those professional skills and ethics type classes, the other part of the lottery happens later.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:08 pm

itsirtou wrote:

he's at the Hague

This is correct.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:42 pm

OK someone here needs to explain this black box lottery to me, a 2L. All I have to do is rank the classes that I want to take which are one of the 3 requirements right? I want to take PRE but I have a conundrum. Cohen is supposed to be hard but his class is in the afternoon. Hylton is supposed to be cool but his class is hella early. Balnave I know little about, but his class also fits the requirement. It will be full of world-savers like Billyez, but I don't think that there is any reason not to take it right?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:59 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:OK someone here needs to explain this black box lottery to me, a 2L. All I have to do is rank the classes that I want to take which are one of the 3 requirements right? I want to take PRE but I have a conundrum. Cohen is supposed to be hard but his class is in the afternoon. Hylton is supposed to be cool but his class is hella early. Balnave I know little about, but his class also fits the requirement. It will be full of world-savers like Billyez, but I don't think that there is any reason not to take it right?

Yes, just rank the classes that are graduation requirements (ethics, skills, and writing) that you want to take. As far as PR goes, Cohen requires by far the most work, and a lot of his course is focused on securities fraud, which you may or may not find interesting. I wouldn't take Cohen unless you have a serious reason (e.g. clerkships) to try and maximize your GPA. He gives out a fair number of A+ and A grades, but you'll have to put in a lot of work; he will not hesitate to give a C or C+ to a bad exam, so be careful. The other PR classes are largely a joke; if you're avoiding Cohen, just take whoevever fits best with your schedule.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:04 pm

OK just to reiterate how totally lost I am, and a bit overwhelmed, can anyone point me to a list of the classes which fit the requirements? Also, should I just take PRE this semester from that list anyway and be done with it? I assume "skills" can be met by a clinic and "writing" by advanced LRW or some sort of seminar.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”