UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
itsirtou
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby itsirtou » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:28 pm

Is Mahoney not teaching a 1L Contracts class? Sucks for them, his wardrobe must be seen to be believed. I have dreams about his tan shoes.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6392
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby 5ky » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:29 pm

itsirtou wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
itsirtou wrote:anyone have a page with graduation requirements? or can you direct me to one?
Ask and ye shall receive vague information.


shoot, that's all I found too.

I was just wondering because a) I actually don't even know how many hours we need to graduate, and 2) what courses 2Ls can sign up for tomorrow that fulfill "upper level graduation requirements"


--LinkRemoved--

86 credits. That has some more info too, if you look under I.D. Degree Requirements.

berkeleykel06
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:39 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby berkeleykel06 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:31 pm

I think the classes we can sign up for tomorrow are the Professional Ethics, Professional Skills, and Approved Writing Requirement courses that are linked in LawWeb just below where the link for Current Courses is.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:38 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Could people who have been through Lile say a little bit more about the commitment? How long were the briefs? If I remember correctly, it's one problem and so one separate brief each semester of your 2L and 3L year. Am I getting that right? How long are the briefs? I know the moot court brief for the tournament I went to last year was about 40 pages, a lot of research, a lot of editing. It was rough. Not sure I could do that twice in a semester with everything else going on.

Last year the first round brief had a word limit of 3300 words, which is roughly 10 pages I think. The second round brief had a word limit of 7900 words if I recall correctly, but you have a partner that round. The time commitment is like LRW--it all depends on how much time you want to put into it. Advancing to the second round is a piece of cake; a good-faith effort will suffice. Advancing to the quarterfinals will probably consume a fair amount of time though--I thought I could pull it off half-assing it and was unsuccessful :( (although I came surprisingly close). The nice thing about Lile is that you are under no obligation (except to your partner if s/he wants to advance) to put in any effort; if during the competition you decide you don't care any more, you can spend five minutes putting together a terrible brief, make a fool of yourself at oral argument (in front of student judges who are probably even less prepared than you are, I might add), and be done with it.* But if you put Lile on your resume, receiving a zero in any category is equivalent to a withdrawal, so you can't completely goof around.

*Edit: Actually, don't do that in the quarterfinal, semifinal, or final round, since you'll be in front of professors or federal judges. Although if you get that far you probably take the competition relatively seriously.

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby omg » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:40 pm

Cavalier wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Could people who have been through Lile say a little bit more about the commitment? How long were the briefs? If I remember correctly, it's one problem and so one separate brief each semester of your 2L and 3L year. Am I getting that right? How long are the briefs? I know the moot court brief for the tournament I went to last year was about 40 pages, a lot of research, a lot of editing. It was rough. Not sure I could do that twice in a semester with everything else going on.

Last year the first round brief had a word limit of 3300 words, which is roughly 10 pages I think. The second round brief had a word limit of 7900 words if I recall correctly, but you have a partner that round. The time commitment is like LRW--it all depends on how much time you want to put into it. Advancing to the second round is a piece of cake; a good-faith effort will suffice. Advancing to the quarterfinals will probably consume a fair amount of time though--I thought I could pull it off half-assing it and was unsuccessful :( (although I came surprisingly close). The nice thing about Lile is that you are under no obligation (except to your partner if s/he wants to advance) to put in any effort; if during the competition you decide you don't care any more, you can spend five minutes putting together a terrible brief, make a fool of yourself at oral argument (in front of student judges who are probably even less prepared than you are, I might add), and be done with it. But if you put Lile on your resume, receiving a zero in any category is equivalent to a withdrawal, so you can't completely goof around.


I can't remember for sure (maybe Cav knows?), but I think that those word limits go just to your actual argument (not the statement of facts, summary of argument, etc., which I included in my page count above).

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:41 pm

itsirtou wrote:Is Mahoney not teaching a 1L Contracts class? Sucks for them, his wardrobe must be seen to be believed. I have dreams about his tan shoes.

But he's teaching securities regulation!

*begins to drool*

User avatar
itsirtou
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby itsirtou » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:42 pm

Cavalier wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Could people who have been through Lile say a little bit more about the commitment? How long were the briefs? If I remember correctly, it's one problem and so one separate brief each semester of your 2L and 3L year. Am I getting that right? How long are the briefs? I know the moot court brief for the tournament I went to last year was about 40 pages, a lot of research, a lot of editing. It was rough. Not sure I could do that twice in a semester with everything else going on.

Last year the first round brief had a word limit of 3300 words, which is roughly 10 pages I think. The second round brief had a word limit of 7900 words if I recall correctly, but you have a partner that round. The time commitment is like LRW--it all depends on how much time you want to put into it. Advancing to the second round is a piece of cake; a good-faith effort will suffice. Advancing to the quarterfinals will probably consume a fair amount of time though--I thought I could pull it off half-assing it and was unsuccessful :( (although I came surprisingly close). The nice thing about Lile is that you are under no obligation (except to your partner if s/he wants to advance) to put in any effort; if during the competition you decide you don't care any more, you can spend five minutes putting together a terrible brief, make a fool of yourself at oral argument (in front of student judges who are probably even less prepared than you are, I might add), and be done with it.* But if you put Lile on your resume, receiving a zero in any category is equivalent to a withdrawal, so you can't completely goof around.

*Edit: Actually, don't do that in the quarterfinal, semifinal, or final round, since you'll be in front of professors or federal judges. Although if you get that far you probably take the competition relatively seriously.


Question -- how do you get a partner? Do you choose your partner or are they assigned?

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:42 pm

omg wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Could people who have been through Lile say a little bit more about the commitment? How long were the briefs? If I remember correctly, it's one problem and so one separate brief each semester of your 2L and 3L year. Am I getting that right? How long are the briefs? I know the moot court brief for the tournament I went to last year was about 40 pages, a lot of research, a lot of editing. It was rough. Not sure I could do that twice in a semester with everything else going on.

Last year the first round brief had a word limit of 3300 words, which is roughly 10 pages I think. The second round brief had a word limit of 7900 words if I recall correctly, but you have a partner that round. The time commitment is like LRW--it all depends on how much time you want to put into it. Advancing to the second round is a piece of cake; a good-faith effort will suffice. Advancing to the quarterfinals will probably consume a fair amount of time though--I thought I could pull it off half-assing it and was unsuccessful :( (although I came surprisingly close). The nice thing about Lile is that you are under no obligation (except to your partner if s/he wants to advance) to put in any effort; if during the competition you decide you don't care any more, you can spend five minutes putting together a terrible brief, make a fool of yourself at oral argument (in front of student judges who are probably even less prepared than you are, I might add), and be done with it. But if you put Lile on your resume, receiving a zero in any category is equivalent to a withdrawal, so you can't completely goof around.


I can't remember for sure (maybe Cav knows?), but I think that those word limits go just to your actual argument (not the statement of facts, summary of argument, etc., which I included in my page count above).

Yup, just the actual argument (headings and footnotes included). But the other stuff doesn't take very long.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:43 pm

itsirtou wrote:Question -- how do you get a partner? Do you choose your partner or are they assigned?

Once the second-round contestants are announced (which was shortly before Thanksgiving last year), you can choose one of them, and if the Board doesn't hear from you, they'll assign you someone.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:49 pm

Actually, I didn't think about it until now, but Mahoney, Jeffries, and Collins are not teaching 1L classes this fall. And the remaining all-stars are all teaching only two sections at most. That kind of sucks.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6392
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby 5ky » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:52 pm

Cavalier wrote:Actually, I didn't think about it until now, but Mahoney, Jeffries, and Collins are not teaching 1L classes this fall. And the remaining all-stars are all teaching only two sections at most. That kind of sucks.


Excuse me, Buck is teaching FOUR sections, take that!

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:02 pm

5ky wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Actually, I didn't think about it until now, but Mahoney, Jeffries, and Collins are not teaching 1L classes this fall. And the remaining all-stars are all teaching only two sections at most. That kind of sucks.

Excuse me, Buck is teaching FOUR sections, take that!

No comment.

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby crossingforHYS » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:07 pm

Cavalier wrote:
5ky wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Actually, I didn't think about it until now, but Mahoney, Jeffries, and Collins are not teaching 1L classes this fall. And the remaining all-stars are all teaching only two sections at most. That kind of sucks.

Excuse me, Buck is teaching FOUR sections, take that!

No comment.

is he bad?

and who are the remaining all-stars?

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6392
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby 5ky » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:13 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
5ky wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Actually, I didn't think about it until now, but Mahoney, Jeffries, and Collins are not teaching 1L classes this fall. And the remaining all-stars are all teaching only two sections at most. That kind of sucks.

Excuse me, Buck is teaching FOUR sections, take that!

No comment.

is he bad?

and who are the remaining all-stars?


She teaches LRW. It's hard to have a "good" LRW professor.

I don't know much about all-star professors as some of the older students, so I'll mostly defer to them. Coughlin, Nelson, Mitchell, Geis maybe? Heytens is supposed to be pretty good

User avatar
itsirtou
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby itsirtou » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:14 pm

5ky wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:is he bad?

and who are the remaining all-stars?


She teaches LRW. It's hard to have a "good" LRW professor.

I don't know much about all-star professors as some of the older students, so I'll mostly defer to them. Coughlin, Nelson, Mitchell, Geis maybe? Heytens is supposed to be pretty good


I'd add Abraham to that list, too.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:17 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
5ky wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Actually, I didn't think about it until now, but Mahoney, Jeffries, and Collins are not teaching 1L classes this fall. And the remaining all-stars are all teaching only two sections at most. That kind of sucks.

Excuse me, Buck is teaching FOUR sections, take that!

No comment.

is he bad?

and who are the remaining all-stars?

She's OK; she teaches LRW though so you only have her for one hour a week. My problem with her is that her subject for the major memo and the brief is by far the worst--state common law nuisance. But don't worry about that for now. The remaining all-stars are, in my opinion, Coughlin, Nelson, Abraham, and Geis. That's not to say a lot of the other professors aren't outstanding (many of them are), but those professors are the ones that students often claim are the best professors they have ever had in their lives.

User avatar
itsirtou
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby itsirtou » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:19 pm

Cavalier wrote:She's OK; she teaches LRW though so you only have her for one hour a week. My problem with her is that her subject for the major memo and the brief is by far the worst--state common law nuisance. But don't worry about that for now. The remaining all-stars are, in my opinion, Coughlin, Nelson, Abraham, and Geis. That's not to say a lot of the other professors aren't outstanding (many of them are), but those professors are the ones that students often claim are the best professors they have ever had in their lives.


windmills

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby joeshmo39 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:23 pm

At first glance section A does look good. The one that really jumped out at me was C though, people should get in line for that one.

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby omg » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:27 pm

3Ls--Maybe the email is coming soon, like Dean Bennett said, but you can now see which classes you got in the first lottery round on Lawweb.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6392
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby 5ky » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:33 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:At first glance section A does look good. The one that really jumped out at me was C though, people should get in line for that one.


Also true.

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby omg » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:39 pm

I listed a ton of Professional Skills courses because I wasn't whether I would get my top choice, which only had 10 spots. Now I'm enrolled in 3 of them, but I will only take 1 (I did get into my first choice). But I can't drop my extra courses until AFTER the 2Ls do their requirements lottery? Not good.

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:44 pm

Cavalier wrote:The remaining all-stars are, in my opinion, Coughlin, Nelson, Abraham, and Geis.
<---Had two of those professors first semester last year

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:04 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:At first glance section A does look good. The one that really jumped out at me was C though, people should get in line for that one.

Incoming 1L here with a question. I was under the impression that section are assigned-we can 'line up' for a choice at orientation, or was that a turn of phrase?

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:07 pm

sundance95 wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:At first glance section A does look good. The one that really jumped out at me was C though, people should get in line for that one.

Incoming 1L here with a question. I was under the impression that section are assigned-we can 'line up' for a choice at orientation, or was that a turn of phrase?

Sections are assigned; you get no choice in the matter.

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby joeshmo39 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:13 pm

sundance95 wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:At first glance section A does look good. The one that really jumped out at me was C though, people should get in line for that one.

Incoming 1L here with a question. I was under the impression that section are assigned-we can 'line up' for a choice at orientation, or was that a turn of phrase?


Sorry, it was just a turn of phrase. Some sections get a better line up than others, it's just the luck of the draw.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests