UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mattattack911

New

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Post by mattattack911 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:24 am

Seems like in terms of girls/relationships, many times there is either just drunken hookups or weird, sort of secret sort of not intrasection romances----"sectioncest." But I do know people who are in relationships with other law students not in their section too, it happens. +1 to whoever has said it might be smarter to date a non law student.

The new members of VLR are posted on their site, fyi, if anyone is interested.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:52 am

Badgers2012 wrote:I'm sorry but can anyone speak to the kind of girls/attractiveness that are law students at UVA? Prospective student and honestly just wondering for social aspects/dating - not meant in a demeaning way at all. Thanks.
You're in luck. Attractive/single women definitely outnumber attractive/single men by a fair bit.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:56 am

billyez wrote:Brown does not allow laptops in Crim. He's refreshingly honest about his paternalistic reasoning for doing so.
He allowed them back in Fall 2009. But he correctly intuited that we were all surfing the web the whole semester.

WVUCelticFan

Bronze

Post by WVUCelticFan » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:11 am

Has anybody had any of the oceans related classes with Moore? He spoke at open house and handed out stacks of syllabi for all of his classes (not sure why). He and his classes seemed interesting, if not particularly relevant for most people.

mattattack911

New

Post by mattattack911 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:19 am

WVUCelticFan wrote:Has anybody had any of the oceans related classes with Moore? He spoke at open house and handed out stacks of syllabi for all of his classes (not sure why). He and his classes seemed interesting, if not particularly relevant for most people.
I've heard that he is one of these people who talks a lot about himself/what he has done, but also that it's good (to take the class and to know him) if you're interested in national security stuff.

Oh yeah, and it's about national security, not save the oceans. :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:37 pm

Do you know if 1L's can work/volunteer with the admissions or career office?

edit: oh and once november 1st rolls around--do we have to set up appointments with CSO or do they contact us?
Last edited by crossingforHYS on Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

$$$$$$

Bronze

Post by $$$$$$ » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:44 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
billyez wrote:Most of the better-looking gals are taken already anyway or so it seemed psycho.

FTFY
This is the most accurate answer you will get, hands down

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:46 pm

Can anyone confirm that the Student Records Office assigns classes by hand? I cannot fathom how an automated lottery would take this long.

Badgers2012

New

Post by Badgers2012 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:58 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
billyez wrote:Most of the better-looking gals are taken already anyway or so it seemed psycho.

FTFY
Haha thanks for the responses. Care to elaborate?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

$$$$$$

Bronze

Post by $$$$$$ » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:02 pm

Badgers2012 wrote:
$$$$$$ wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:

FTFY
Haha thanks for the responses. Care to elaborate?
what really good looking girls want to read shitty cases 5 hours a day, while being surrounded by overly competitive, nerdy, and for the most part, average looking prestige whores? ....... crazy ones. The ugly girls are all really awesome though, so its a nice mix

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:08 pm

Badgers2012 wrote:Haha thanks for the responses. Care to elaborate?
I probably wouldn't read too deeply into the responses. It's sort of a crude topic which may be why you're not getting much input, and in any circumstance where you're getting like a 2 out of 30 person response rate, the responses you get probably don't tell the whole picture.

Badgers2012

New

Post by Badgers2012 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:22 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Badgers2012 wrote:Haha thanks for the responses. Care to elaborate?
I probably wouldn't read too deeply into the responses. It's sort of a crude topic which may be why you're not getting much input, and in any circumstance where you're getting like a 2 out of 30 person response rate, the responses you get probably don't tell the whole picture.
Yeah I get what you're saying. And as I said in my original post I was just genuinely wondering what the female students were like at UVA Law because I am considering going there. Not meant to be demeaning, just a question I wanted some first hand knowledge on. But I understand one or two people's responses are not representative of everyone and may not be accurate more than for certain isolated encounters.

wackjickham

Bronze

Post by wackjickham » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:23 pm

showNprove wrote:Can anyone confirm that the Student Records Office assigns classes by hand? I cannot fathom how an automated lottery would take this long.
I'm going to be out of the country probably without access to internet for 3 days during the 2L registration lottery so I called and asked what I should do. Their response: "Give someone else your password and have them do it for you, or find internet wherever you are."

Umm, okay.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

barry

Bronze

Post by barry » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:31 pm

law school girls in general are not going to be the best for dating, I would guess that UVA prolly has the best in the T14, but if it were me go for the UG girls, they are all looking for law/med/business students anyway and they are good looking and cool... who the hell would want to marry another lawyer anyway haha

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:02 pm

dailygrind wrote:It's sort of a crude topic
+1

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:11 pm

Is it true that UG girls would come to law library with pizza and try to hunt for future rain-making husbands? Heard this rumor but spent most of my studying time at apartment so wouldn't be able to confirm this.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:15 pm

desertlaw wrote:Is it true that UG girls would come to law library with pizza and try to hunt for future rain-making husbands? Heard this rumor but spent most of my studying time at apartment so wouldn't be able to confirm this.
lol pizza?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

barry

Bronze

Post by barry » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:27 pm

Cavalier wrote:
desertlaw wrote:Is it true that UG girls would come to law library with pizza and try to hunt for future rain-making husbands? Heard this rumor but spent most of my studying time at apartment so wouldn't be able to confirm this.
lol pizza?
hahah that's hilarious, but I can't confirm.... I've also heard that UG girls go to the North Grounds Gym looking for buff, alpha grad students lol

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:47 pm

Now that we're on this topic...

What about the boys? How are the boys as dating prospects? lol

toolbox

New

Post by toolbox » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:33 pm

unless you're coming from an extremely awkward undergrad, you'll find the people to be significantly less attractive and normal than you're used to. compared to other law schools i think its pretty good and uva undergrads are insanely good-looking but....its law school. don't get your hopes up. do you reallyy wanna end up with a lawyer anyways?

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:38 pm

Puttanesca wrote:Now that we're on this topic...

All the men here are mature, hard working, considerate, and treat women respectfully. Not a bad apple in the bunch. I'd come to school single if I were you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

$$$$$$

Bronze

Post by $$$$$$ » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:43 pm

Puttanesca wrote:Now that we're on this topic...

Terrible and Terrible - the best looking dude in the whole class won't even talk to you if you don't have a trust fund

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:09 pm

If anybody feels like not objectifying women any more, that could be cool. You know, if you're into that kind of thing.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:16 pm

thesealocust wrote:If anybody feels like not objectifying women any more, that could be cool. You know, if you're into that kind of thing.
Sounds lame.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:03 pm

Visiting UVa this Wednesday. Any recommendations of what to do while in Charlottesville? ^_^ I'll only be there for a day, so mainly quick things or places to eat. Sorry if this is off topic.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”