UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Cavalier

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:33 pm

dailygrind wrote:I'm considering going:

Sec Reg (Mahoney draw, though I guess that means that a lot of ambitious people will be jumping on this.)
Law and Game Theory (hopefully an easy class for me given strong prior knowledge of game theory)
Admin (why are we meeting so often for a 3 credit class? Am I going to regret this?)
Law Firm as a Business Org (probably something I'd be thinking about a lot as the semester went on - it'd be nice to do it formally too, but the paper requirement gives me pause).

considering trading out the last two classes for Bankruptcy + Secured Transactions (heard they paired up well together), or Evidence + Remedies (figure I should get them out of the way). Anyone have any suggestions/insight?

The only other Sec Reg professor is Kitch... so if the subject interests you (or if it's relevant towards your intended practice), you should definitely take it with Mahoney. With regard to Admin, I would wait until we figure out whether Magill is teaching it at all. If not, Duffy sounds better than Fischman. Evidence is always a good class to take, but if you wait till Spring you can take it with Michael Collins (who is probably one of the best professors here). Remedies with Laycock should be good--I'd put him on the same level as Collins, and he is the master of the field. I will definitely be taking that. Don't know much about the other classes.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:29 pm

Thanks for the advice.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:35 pm

dailygrind wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:1Ls have to take CivPro at 830AM. Pwned.

It builds character.

fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:14 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

It builds character.

fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu

That is exactly what I was thinking!

Do 1L's also have to take the ethics seminar?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:21 am

Not unless it's a new requirement. Seminars in Ethical Values are book clubs for 3Ls who don't feel like taking real classes anymore.

fouronthe4loor

Postby fouronthe4loor » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:44 am

omg wrote:Has anyone heard anything new about whether and when Magill is teaching Admin this year? It's not listed on Lawweb yet, and I was planning on scheduling the rest of my courses around that...

Looks like Magill is teaching it this fall.

omg

Postby omg » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:56 am

fouronthe4loor wrote:
omg wrote:Has anyone heard anything new about whether and when Magill is teaching Admin this year? It's not listed on Lawweb yet, and I was planning on scheduling the rest of my courses around that...

Thanks for letting me know! That Lawweb entry is new this morning. Very good news.

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:01 am

Why is magill supposed to be good for admin?

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:55 am

haha ohhhhh god damn

my civ pro professor was nice but if i'd had him at 830 in the morning, i don't even know if fear of getting called on would have kept me awake

ALSO. Fed Courts with Jeffries. is he good to take that class with, and how hard will that class be to get into? i was going to put a seminar first that i really want to take (because i heard seminars are really hard to get into for 2Ls) and Fed Cts second.

swinger

Postby swinger » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:02 am

What is the general thought on law and business-- I definitely want to take as many law and business classes as possible, but does it matter at all if i dont take them in the 'law and business' section? I don't remember seeing anything about a separate certificate or even a notation, so why bother moving a schedule around to make sure you take that section? If anything, wouldnt it be 'smarter' to take the classes non-L&B if you have business background?

Heat

Postby Heat » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:37 pm

How many books do you guys tend to carry around? I'm looking at laptop backpacks and doesn't seem like any of the cheaper ones have a ton of room. I'm wondering if I should spend the extra money or if books tend to be worked on in small quantities.

swinger

Postby swinger » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:54 pm

Heat wrote:How many books do you guys tend to carry around? I'm looking at laptop backpacks and doesn't seem like any of the cheaper ones have a ton of room. I'm wondering if I should spend the extra money or if books tend to be worked on in small quantities.

depends on your day and your desire to hustle b/w your locker and class/the library. its rare that you will need to go more than 2 classes back to back (therefore 2, maybe 3 books at a time). usually there is enough time b/w classes that you can go to your locker and drop one off and pick up the next one. first semester i had a laptop case and no backpack and just carried books in my hands with no problem. second semester i got tired of going to my locker b/w classes and switched to a backpack.

tl;dr version- no need to go big if you dont mind going to your locker b/w classes. invest in backpack if lazy. invest in rolling backpack if lazy and billyez.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:59 pm

swinger wrote:invest in rolling backpack if lazy and billyez.
This is beautiful, even though it burns me as well.

swinger

Postby swinger » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:24 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:

haha you have one? i really want to put you in a locker meet you.

grash

Postby grash » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:29 pm

swinger wrote:What is the general thought on law and business-- I definitely want to take as many law and business classes as possible, but does it matter at all if i dont take them in the 'law and business' section? I don't remember seeing anything about a separate certificate or even a notation, so why bother moving a schedule around to make sure you take that section? If anything, wouldnt it be 'smarter' to take the classes non-L&B if you have business background?

Took Corps not L&B even though I have a decent business background. There were definitely a few classes where I barely read because I already knew the concepts being discussed, and having those little breaks was pretty fuckin awesome. That said, we read the casebook cover to cover anyway, and who knows, if it'd been the L&B class maybe we would've spent less time going over expected value, net present value, etc. and spent more time exploring difficult topics.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:25 pm

omg wrote:
fouronthe4loor wrote:

Thanks for letting me know! That Lawweb entry is new this morning. Very good news.

Magill's admin no longer conflicts with securities regulation! Since I'm a huge dork I'm salivating at the thought of taking Mahoney, Magill, and Laycock in one semester... but then I'll have to pass up Schauer... what I tough life I have.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:20 pm

swinger wrote:What is the general thought on law and business-- I definitely want to take as many law and business classes as possible, but does it matter at all if i dont take them in the 'law and business' section? I don't remember seeing anything about a separate certificate or even a notation, so why bother moving a schedule around to make sure you take that section? If anything, wouldnt it be 'smarter' to take the classes non-L&B if you have business background?

The L&B classes are cool, and the people who take them tend to be waaaaaay less gunnery than the people in, oh I don't know, sec reg with mahoney and admin with magill and legislation with Nelson and - actually, basically any course Cavalier wants to take. It's not worth seeking them out on their own, and choosing a solid prof almost always trumps taking something in L&B on purpose, but it's a cool program.

Taking accounting & corporate finance should be mandatory IMO. Whether you're litigating or doing transactional work, those concepts are fundamental to the business decisions being hashed or battled out by lawyers. The courses themselves fucking suck, but, uh, it builds character. Or something.

billyez

Postby billyez » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:31 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:

Swinger needs to stop hatin'

itsirtou wrote:

ALSO. Fed Courts with Jeffries. is he good to take that class with, and how hard will that class be to get into? i was going to put a seminar first that i really want to take (because i heard seminars are really hard to get into for 2Ls) and Fed Cts second.

So. I don't know Jeffries. Never seen him or taken a class with him. However, I do know that Collins does Fed Courts - I think he did it last semester as a matter of fact - and I can't imagine any other professor being better suited to teach that class than Collins. So, it's not that big of a deal if you don't get into that class this semester anyway.

tl;dr - I didn't really answer your question. Sorry.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:58 pm

(1) Law & Business classes - I think sealocust said it, but to reemphasize the point - focus on taking the prof over the class. I.e., even if you've had accounting and corporate finance, take the non-law & business class if a better prof is teaching it. That said, I haven't taken any law and business classes and I don't feel like I've missed anything. I think there are a lot of good doctrinal classes out there and there are just some classes I won't get to. Also, I'd note that there were way, way more non-gunners in my non-L&B corporations than in the L&B corporations class.

(2) Fed Courts - I am strongly in favor of taking it with Collins. That said, I would jump at the chance to take it with Nelson or Jeffries. Fed courts is a strong point for UVA - all of the profs who teach it are great.

(3) Magill has the best reviews of anyone who teaches Admin. She has great scholarship in the area and I've heard she does a great job with teaching Admin (an otherwise miserable area of law (I say that as someone who actually liked admin) that will be a substantial part of your life if you practice in DC).

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:07 am

thesealocust wrote:

The L&B classes are cool, and the people who take them tend to be waaaaaay less gunnery than the people in, oh I don't know, sec reg with mahoney and admin with magill and legislation with Nelson and - actually, basically any course Cavalier wants to take. It's not worth seeking them out on their own, and choosing a solid prof almost always trumps taking something in L&B on purpose, but it's a cool program.

Taking accounting & corporate finance should be mandatory IMO. Whether you're litigating or doing transactional work, those concepts are fundamental to the business decisions being hashed or battled out by lawyers. The courses themselves fucking suck, but, uh, it builds character. Or something.

What's with the new avatar?

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:09 am

quakeroats wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

how did you get back on TLS?

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:12 am

uvahooo wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

how did you get back on TLS?

By popular demand

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:01 pm

sooooo....is there a way to find out if profs give you the Monday and Tuesday of Thanksgiving break off?

or is this unheard of at UVa?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:14 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:sooooo....is there a way to find out if profs give you the Monday and Tuesday of Thanksgiving break off?

Seems relatively uncommon--it's more common for professors to cancel classes on the Thursday and Friday after fall break (1L year I had zero real classes and one practice exam scheduled by the professor over those two days, and 2L year I just went home for ten days and only missed two classes). The odds that all of your classes during Thanksgiving week will be cancelled are very slim, and especially as a 1L, you should probably avoid missing class. Plus Thanksgiving vacation is better spent locking yourself away outlining and taking practice exams anyway.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:27 pm

Cavalier wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:sooooo....is there a way to find out if profs give you the Monday and Tuesday of Thanksgiving break off?

Seems relatively uncommon--it's more common for professors to cancel classes on the Thursday and Friday after fall break (1L year I had zero real classes and one practice exam scheduled by the professor over those two days, and 2L year I just went home for ten days and only missed two classes). The odds that all of your classes during Thanksgiving week will be cancelled are very slim, and especially as a 1L, you should probably avoid missing class. Plus Thanksgiving vacation is better spent locking yourself away outlining and taking practice exams anyway.

Nice to know--with the price difference of flying back home for fall break vs. thanksgiving break I will just fly back for fall.

Thanks for the insight!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”