UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dgouzoul

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby dgouzoul » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:28 pm

bertstare wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
Doritos wrote:I need my SBA rep to get this system fixed immediately.

Also of utmost importance: dedicated pullup bar in North Grounds. If any SBA reps are frequenting this thread.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:30 pm

bertstare wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

Also of utmost importance: dedicated pullup bar in North Grounds. If any SBA reps are frequenting this thread.

lol :lol:

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:37 pm

Can't lie, that was pretty fuckin awesome.

swinger

Postby swinger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:55 am

dailygrind wrote:

Actually, this is one of the most important problems our school faces. You think waiting a week for grades to post to Symplicity is frustrating? Try removing the straight bar that [redacted] puts in the chin up grips. I dont even know how he gets it up there.

pjo

Postby pjo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:15 am

swinger wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

Actually, this is one of the most important problems our school faces. You think waiting a week for grades to post to Symplicity is frustrating? Try removing the straight bar that [redacted] puts in the chin up grips. I dont even know how he gets it up there.

How does north grounds gym compare to the gym at the aquatic fitness center? The day after ASD I went around the campus. Someone said the AFC was the "main gym" on campus so I checked it out, and found it pretty underwhelming. I guess I thought it would be bigger/nicer because UVA is so much bigger than my UG. Actually the only thing I didn't like about UVA was the gym situation.

bertstare

Postby bertstare » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:21 am

swinger wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

swinger

Postby swinger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:27 am

pjo wrote:
How does north grounds gym compare to the gym at the aquatic fitness center? The day after ASD I went around the campus. Someone said the AFC was the "main gym" on campus so I checked it out, and found it pretty underwhelming. I guess I thought it would be bigger/nicer because UVA is so much bigger than my UG. Actually the only thing I didn't like about UVA was the gym situation.

The AFC is a sad excuse for a main gym. Avoid it like the plague unless you want to swim. There are not enough pieces, too many people for said pieces, and its just set up horribly. (Ex. the free weights are in a separate room down two hallways). Stick with North Grounds. A dual cable and a fixed pull up bar are the only things North Grounds is missing (that are frequently missed). AFC has those things, but that doesnt make up for the rest of its shortcomings. North Grounds has plenty of stuff to get the job done, sometimes you just have to get creative.

swinger

Postby swinger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:29 am

bertstare wrote:
swinger wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

This is going on the fridge. With a blown up copy in your room.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:31 am

pjo wrote:How does north grounds gym compare to the gym at the aquatic fitness center? The day after ASD I went around the campus. Someone said the AFC was the "main gym" on campus so I checked it out, and found it pretty underwhelming. I guess I thought it would be bigger/nicer because UVA is so much bigger than my UG. Actually the only thing I didn't like about UVA was the gym situation.

What didn't you like about it? It's hard to say whether the other facilities will make up for it if we don't know why you were underwhelmed. Was there something in particular that you were looking for but didn't see?

North Grounds is smaller than the AFC, but typically less busy. You can see what's in all the fitness facilities here:

http://www.virginia.edu/ims/facilities/index.php

pjo

Postby pjo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:46 am

albanach wrote:
pjo wrote:How does north grounds gym compare to the gym at the aquatic fitness center? The day after ASD I went around the campus. Someone said the AFC was the "main gym" on campus so I checked it out, and found it pretty underwhelming. I guess I thought it would be bigger/nicer because UVA is so much bigger than my UG. Actually the only thing I didn't like about UVA was the gym situation.

What didn't you like about it? It's hard to say whether the other facilities will make up for it if we don't know why you were underwhelmed. Was there something in particular that you were looking for but didn't see?

North Grounds is smaller than the AFC, but typically less busy. You can see what's in all the fitness facilities here:

I've been to that link before but there's not really any pictures of the actual gym (read weights) at north grounds. As swinger already said, I didn't like the layout (how the free weights were in a tiny room in the back). A lot of the equipment was older and it didn't seem spread out enough. I don't remeber there being more than like one or two benches either. I know I'm being picky, and it's really not that big of a deal. It probably has a lot to do with my expectations being high.

swinger

Postby swinger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:06 am

pjo wrote:
albanach wrote:

I've been to that link before but there's not really any pictures of the actual gym (read weights) at north grounds. As swinger already said, I didn't like the layout (how the free weights were in a tiny room in the back). A lot of the equipment was older and it didn't seem spread out enough. I don't remeber there being more than like one or two benches either. I know I'm being picky, and it's really not that big of a deal. It probably has a lot to do with my expectations being high.

North Grounds is smaller and less busy. This is true (though there are times- around 5 to 7- when it gets pretty packed). Let me run through a list of everything North Grounds has. This is from memory so I may miss something:

2 Bench Press.
1 Incline Press.
1 Decline Press.
1 Shoulder Press.
1 Calves Machine.
1 Dip/Pullup Assist Machine.
1 Free Dip/Leg Raise.
1 Squat Rack with Chin Up/Pull Up Individual Hand Grips Attached
1 Squat Rack plain
1 Smith Rack
1 Single Cable
1 Lat Pulldown
1 Bicep Curl
1 Tricep Extension
2 Preacher Curl Stations
1 Back Extension
1 Free Weight Incline Row
1 Chest Press (Machine)
1 Pec Fly (Machine)
1 Seated Row (Machine, not close-grip cable)
1 Pullover (Machine)
1 Leg Extension
1 Seated Leg Curl
1 Lying Leg Curl
2 Hips (inside/outside)
About 3-4 flat benches
About 3 adjustable benches
2 Free Seats (for dumbbell shoulder press for example)
1 Back Extension Machine
Two sets of dumbbells 5-45 in 5 lb inc.
1 set of dumbbells 2.5-20 in 2.5 lb inc.
1 set of dummbells 50-100
2 full court bball courts
2 squash courts
3 racquetball courts
Decline Bench with no bar (for abs)
2 Open Rooms (one way bigger than the other)
About 8 tread with matsmills, 6 bikes, 2 row machines, 8 ellipticals, 3 or 4 step machines.
Pretty big matted area in front of the bikes for abs.

Its rare that you have to wait for anything to the point that it affects your workout. As long as you stay flexible about the order, or dont mind waiting an extra minute or two, you should be fine. People will always let you work in with them.

PM me if you have any other specific questions.

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:15 am

you should make an excel spreadsheet of that stuff swinger

swinger

Postby swinger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:18 am

dgouzoul wrote:you should make an excel spreadsheet of that stuff swinger

already did, its hanging on my wall. tough to read tho.

SilvrBckGorilla

Postby SilvrBckGorilla » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:51 am

Misc brah?

swinger

Postby swinger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:56 am

SilvrBckGorilla wrote:Misc brah?

This is a thread about 2Ls taking questions. Someone had a question about the AFC/North Grounds. I responded to it. My apologies if the two posts afterwards b/w me and gouz offended the purpose of this thread. No one ever goes a bit off topic for a post or two on TLS.

But hopefully you're just referring to how Bertstare got its big start in the Misc. section of another forum.

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:57 am

silverback, i will now assume the role of a UVA 2L taking questions about what an assclown you are.

Proceed.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:03 pm

swinger wrote:
pjo wrote:
albanach wrote:

North Grounds is smaller and less busy. This is true (though there are times- around 5 to 7- when it gets pretty packed). Let me run through a list of everything North Grounds has. This is from memory so I may miss something:

2 Bench Press.
1 Incline Press.
1 Decline Press.
1 Shoulder Press.
1 Calves Machine.
1 Free Dip/Leg Raise.
1 Squat Rack plain
1 Smith Rack
1 Single Cable
1 Lat Pulldown
1 Bicep Curl
1 Tricep Extension
2 Preacher Curl Stations
1 Back Extension
1 Chest Press (Machine)
1 Pec Fly (Machine)
1 Pullover (Machine)
1 Leg Extension
1 Seated Leg Curl
1 Lying Leg Curl
2 Hips (inside/outside)
About 3-4 flat benches
1 Back Extension Machine
2 squash courts
3 racquetball courts
About 8 tread with matsmills, 6 bikes, 2 row machines, 8 ellipticals, 3 or 4 step machines.

Its rare that you have to wait for anything to the point that it affects your workout. As long as you stay flexible about the order, or dont mind waiting an extra minute or two, you should be fine. People will always let you work in with them.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

swinger

Postby swinger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:06 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
swinger wrote:
pjo wrote:
albanach wrote:What didn't you like about it? It's hard to say whether the other facilities will make up for it if we don't know why you were underwhelmed. Was there something in particular that you were looking for but didn't see?

2 Bench Press.
1 Incline Press.
1 Decline Press.
1 Shoulder Press.
1 Calves Machine.
1 Free Dip/Leg Raise.
1 Squat Rack plain
1 Smith Rack
1 Single Cable
1 Lat Pulldown
1 Bicep Curl
1 Tricep Extension
2 Preacher Curl Stations
1 Back Extension
1 Chest Press (Machine)
1 Pec Fly (Machine)
1 Pullover (Machine)
1 Leg Extension
1 Seated Leg Curl
1 Lying Leg Curl
2 Hips (inside/outside)
About 3-4 flat benches
1 Back Extension Machine
2 squash courts
3 racquetball courts

What the fuck is wrong with you?

B.A.W.

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:23 pm

swinger has a photographic memory. I don't even pay attention to machines!

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:44 pm

swinger wrote:
pjo wrote:
albanach wrote:

2 Bench Press.
1 Incline Press.
1 Decline Press.
1 Shoulder Press.
1 Calves Machine.
1 Free Dip/Leg Raise.
1 Squat Rack plain
1 Smith Rack
1 Single Cable
1 Lat Pulldown
1 Bicep Curl
1 Tricep Extension
2 Preacher Curl Stations
1 Back Extension
1 Chest Press (Machine)
1 Pec Fly (Machine)
1 Pullover (Machine)
1 Leg Extension
1 Seated Leg Curl
1 Lying Leg Curl
2 Hips (inside/outside)
About 3-4 flat benches
1 Back Extension Machine
2 squash courts
3 racquetball courts

How did this not get a bertstare response?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:49 pm

swinger wrote:
pjo wrote:

The AFC is a sad excuse for a main gym. Avoid it like the plague unless you want to swim. There are not enough pieces, too many people for said pieces, and its just set up horribly. (Ex. the free weights are in a separate room down two hallways). Stick with North Grounds. A dual cable and a fixed pull up bar are the only things North Grounds is missing (that are frequently missed). AFC has those things, but that doesnt make up for the rest of its shortcomings. North Grounds has plenty of stuff to get the job done, sometimes you just have to get creative.

They could also use some bumper plates, and if the dumbbells would go up a wee bit higher that'd be nice, too. But, as you said, it has enough to get things done, and it's like a 5 minute walk from school. Memorial gym has a slightly better lifting setup if you want to get out there, but given how close North Grounds is I never find myself ambitious enough.

swinger

Postby swinger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:58 pm

gladiator wrote:
swinger wrote:
pjo wrote:
albanach wrote:

2 Bench Press.
1 Incline Press.
1 Decline Press.
1 Shoulder Press.
1 Calves Machine.
1 Free Dip/Leg Raise.
1 Squat Rack plain
1 Smith Rack
1 Single Cable
1 Lat Pulldown
1 Bicep Curl
1 Tricep Extension
2 Preacher Curl Stations
1 Back Extension
1 Chest Press (Machine)
1 Pec Fly (Machine)
1 Pullover (Machine)
1 Leg Extension
1 Seated Leg Curl
1 Lying Leg Curl
2 Hips (inside/outside)
About 3-4 flat benches
1 Back Extension Machine
2 squash courts
3 racquetball courts

How did this not get a bertstare response?

because bertstare is my friend and he only stares at me in the longing, loving way.

bertstare

Postby bertstare » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:57 pm

uvahooo wrote:swinger has a photographic memory. I don't even pay attention to machines!

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 pm

^^^^ :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Does UVA have a formal alumni/mentor program?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”