UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Doritos

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Doritos » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:17 pm

Thanks sealocust, cavalier, and the rest. Donovan should put you on the payroll.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:08 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:Did you hear the one about the Con Law professor who hadn't printed off his students' exams 23 days after the final? No? Don't worry; it wasn't that funny.

I'm guessing Sprigman.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:10 pm

If anyone is planning on bidding heavily in Southern California, feel free to fire me a question. It is a funky market and you really have to take your shots with the big boys (Gibson, Latham, OMM, QE) because there usually isn't much depth at OGI.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:20 pm

RVP11 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:How did people do with mass mailing firms that don't come to OGI? I'm especially curious about those who did this with smaller firms outside of the NYC and DC markets.

I went 5 for ~80 mass mailing firms in smaller markets I had connections to. I think that was slightly better than average, but it seems like most people who mass-mailed got at least one interview out of it.

Thanks. People aren't exactly excited about hiring lawyers right now; then again when I think about that statement maybe they never were, they just needed us more before...

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:33 pm

RVP11 wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:Did you hear the one about the Con Law professor who hadn't printed off his students' exams 23 days after the final? No? Don't worry; it wasn't that funny.

I'm guessing Sprigman.

THAT is the Con Law class people have been talking about? There is now one more upset person in this thread. The deadline is the 15th though, no matter what, grades will be up then. Just let me live that lie.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:37 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

I'm guessing Sprigman.

THAT is the Con Law class people have been talking about? There is now one more upset person in this thread. The deadline is the 15th though, no matter what, grades will be up then. Just let me live that lie.

if he grades them really quickly, does that mean that the grades will be more random? or does it mean that he'll just give a huge b+ curve? i'm guessing the latter.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:38 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:THAT is the Con Law class people have been talking about? There is now one more upset person in this thread. The deadline is the 15th though, no matter what, grades will be up then. Just let me live that lie.

At least one 1L mainstay prof is infamous for beginning to grade exams the day after the deadline to submit grades.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:35 pm

thesealocust wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:THAT is the Con Law class people have been talking about? There is now one more upset person in this thread. The deadline is the 15th though, no matter what, grades will be up then. Just let me live that lie.

At least one 1L mainstay prof is infamous for beginning to grade exams the day after the deadline to submit grades.
For the record, I was speaking of Forde-Mazrui.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:36 pm

More grades came out this evening apparently, even though the course evals weren't up yet for them.

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:39 pm

Anyone know anything about bidding on Chicago from UVA? I have very strong ties but have heard the market is horrible there and and am not sure if it's worth bidding on

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:53 pm

jcunni5 wrote:Anyone know anything about bidding on Chicago from UVA? I have very strong ties but have heard the market is horrible there and and am not sure if it's worth bidding on

The market itself was definitely doing poorly, but I don't know that there's any specific advice about that coming from UVA. Just make sure you read up on Chicago summer classes sizes and the struggles of Chicago firms over the past few years when deciding what to do (it's not like it's unique in suffering during the down turn, but it may have bit hit a bit worse all things considered).

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:12 pm

Does anyone know if we have a vault subscription through Career services? And if so, how do you access it?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:19 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Does anyone know if we have a vault subscription through Career services? And if so, how do you access it?

uva law homepage
career services
student
under researching employers, vault career library
i think you have to use your uva email at this point. i have it keyed to my normal email somehow...i forget what i did back then.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:22 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Does anyone know if we have a vault subscription through Career services? And if so, how do you access it?

Yeah we do. I use it all the time. I don't remember exactly how I initially accessed it but log into your uva law web account and vault will pop up under the student Career Services section. Try emailing CSO for more specific directions.

Does anyone know exactly how the unemployed fellowship program that someone mentioned earlier works?

omg

Postby omg » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:27 pm

bubbletea wrote:
omg wrote:The person who made the model and the shirt(s) is the same person from what I have heard. It is just one--admittedly unsatisfied--3L who is focusing all of this negative attention on our career services. I don't mean to deny that there are other similarly situated 3Ls, but I don't think that the fact that we have one particularly vocal unemployed 3L here says anything about UVA compared to peer schools.

Actually they are not the same person. I know this for a fact.

You have got to be kidding me. You pulled out this one random post from many, many pages back? Someone else already pointed out that I was wrong, which I readily admitted due to the fact that it was only something I had heard secondhand, like I said in the original post.

plum

Postby plum » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:37 am

rising 2L; got an elective grade back, thankfully not a C

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:49 am

jcunni5 wrote:Anyone know anything about bidding on Chicago from UVA? I have very strong ties but have heard the market is horrible there and and am not sure if it's worth bidding on

On the plus side you are competing with very few people who have Chicago ties.

On the con side the Chicago market is still in the shitter.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:56 am

To all who PMed me: I will getting back to you shortly.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:48 am

bgdddymtty wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

KFM doesn't have his exams printed; he has to read them off a computer due to his eyesight. Last year he supposedly graded them all fairly early, but didn't bother making the curve until shortly before the deadline. He wasn't late though, so I wouldn't worry about it.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:23 am

Cavalier wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

KFM doesn't have his exams printed; he has to read them off a computer due to his eyesight. Last year he supposedly graded them all fairly early, but didn't bother making the curve until shortly before the deadline. He wasn't late though, so I wouldn't worry about it.

And Sprigman's excuse is? He tweeted six times yesterday!

I don't actually care. That test was a disaster.

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:56 pm

FYI: Fed Tax was posted along with another property prof.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:22 pm

uvahooo wrote:FYI: Fed Tax was posted along with another property prof.

I'm guessing those likely were part of the batch of grades that got posted last night without the corresponding eval.

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:32 pm

5ky wrote:
uvahooo wrote:FYI: Fed Tax was posted along with another property prof.

I'm guessing those likely were part of the batch of grades that got posted last night without the corresponding eval.

:) yes but the evals are up

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:18 pm

Current UVA students, did any of you do Law Preview during your OL summer? If so, what are your thoughts? I received the Clifford Chance Law Preview Scholarship today, and I'm debating if I should accept it. I've read negative and positive comments about Law Preview on TLS (a few people said Law Preview hurt them :? ), but I'd like to hear thoughts about it from current UVA students.

* I know this was briefly was discussed earlier, but I don't feel like searching for it lol.

Thanks in advance!

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:34 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:Current UVA students, did any of you do Law Preview during your OL summer? If so, what are your thoughts? I received the Clifford Chance Law Preview Scholarship today, and I'm debating if I should accept it. I've read negative and positive comments about Law Preview on TLS (a few people said Law Preview hurt them :? ), but I'd like to hear thoughts about it from current UVA students.

* I know this was briefly was discussed earlier, but I don't feel like searching for it lol.

Thanks in advance!

What exactly is the law preview scholarship?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”