UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
plenipotentiary

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby plenipotentiary » Tue May 24, 2011 3:19 pm

pjo wrote:Can I access my uva.edu email straight through google or do I have to keep logging in through SIS? It's starting to get really annoying because I have to keep recreating a temporary SIS password each time.

And... can I park at the aquatic fitness center without a parking pass or will I get ticketed? It's a little further from the Jeffersonian apartments than I expected and I can't see myself wanting to walk from there to the gym in the winter.

You can just get your UVA email to forward to your Gmail.

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue May 24, 2011 3:39 pm

pjo wrote:And... can I park at the aquatic fitness center without a parking pass or will I get ticketed? It's a little further from the Jeffersonian apartments than I expected and I can't see myself wanting to walk from there to the gym in the winter.

During the day, the AFC spots are metered. Between 07:30 and 17:00, you note the spot number and pay inside. In the evening and at weekends, they're free.

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Thu May 26, 2011 9:24 am

plenipotentiary wrote:
pjo wrote:Can I access my uva.edu email straight through google or do I have to keep logging in through SIS? It's starting to get really annoying because I have to keep recreating a temporary SIS password each time.

And... can I park at the aquatic fitness center without a parking pass or will I get ticketed? It's a little further from the Jeffersonian apartments than I expected and I can't see myself wanting to walk from there to the gym in the winter.

You can just get your UVA email to forward to your Gmail.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can use the same temp SIS password throughout the entire summer, rather than regenerating one every time you want to log in.

théo

Postby théo » Thu May 26, 2011 9:37 am

plum wrote:where in cville can one get an apartment on short notice, say three weeks before school starts in the fall? what strategy would you use... craigslist?

i'm also interested in this issue.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu May 26, 2011 11:57 am

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu May 26, 2011 5:08 pm

Anyone see any new grades?

plum

Postby plum » Thu May 26, 2011 5:12 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Anyone see any new grades?

i passed LRW

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu May 26, 2011 6:27 pm

plum wrote:

i passed LRW

I guess we've got a while then.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu May 26, 2011 7:27 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
plum wrote:

i passed LRW

i hear Natural Resources got their grades back already. the fact that there were 6 people in the course probably helped a lot with that, though.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu May 26, 2011 7:53 pm

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu May 26, 2011 10:04 pm

dailygrind wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
plum wrote:

i passed LRW

i hear Natural Resources got their grades back already. the fact that there were 6 people in the course probably helped a lot with that, though.

Got my short course grade as well. about 10-15 people.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri May 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Schragger's property evals are up. Seems to be the only 1L course eval up at this point

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Sun May 29, 2011 1:45 pm

Can walk to North Grounds Gym which is pretty close to Jeffersonian unless there's something you want that's only at AFC.

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Sun May 29, 2011 3:12 pm

For people concerned with banks:

I work at the Wachovia at Barracks Rd. We do have free checking and some interesting, kind-of-different savings options. Plus all of the lollipops you could ever want. It's a great bank and I've had really good experiences with both Wachovia and Wells Fargo (which we'll be in August). I had Chase before I moved here, and I am so glad that I switched.

If you do stop by, ask for Rachel and I'll be able to set you up with all the banking-related things that you need. (And I'll get closer to my quarterly bonus.)

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun May 29, 2011 3:18 pm

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sun May 29, 2011 3:21 pm

There's free parking in the evening at the AFC if you want to go to the swimming pool. That way you don't have to walk in the cold winter nights. The AFC is a better place to work-out if you need a running-track instead of tredmills and want a pool. The north grounds gym has plenty of weights, tredmills, classes, basketball courts.

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Sun May 29, 2011 3:53 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:For people concerned with banks:

I work at the Wachovia at Barracks Rd. We do have free checking and some interesting, kind-of-different savings options. Plus all of the lollipops you could ever want. It's a great bank and I've had really good experiences with both Wachovia and Wells Fargo (which we'll be in August). I had Chase before I moved here, and I am so glad that I switched.

If you do stop by, ask for Rachel and I'll be able to set you up with all the banking-related things that you need. (And I'll get closer to my quarterly bonus.)

Does the free checking account come with some free checks? And would I get to talk to a teller without getting charged? Thanks.

Yes, it comes with some free checks and yes, you can talk to people free of charge.

I work every day this week except for Thursday (and Monday because of the holiday). Feel free to stop in and we can answer any questions you may have. Or if you wanted to set an appointment with a banker so that you don't have to wait for one to become available, PM me and I can set that up for you as well.

:)

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sun May 29, 2011 3:59 pm

desertlaw wrote:There's free parking in the evening at the AFC if you want to go to the swimming pool. That way you don't have to walk in the cold winter nights. The AFC is a better place to work-out if you need a running-track instead of tredmills and want a pool. The north grounds gym has plenty of weights, tredmills, classes, basketball courts.

memorial gym is pretty close by, and it has a slightly expanded weight selection (dumbbells go up to 110 lbs rather than the 100 at north grounds), more bar variety (yoke bar and trap bar), more machines, and a better pullup setup (the only good one in north grounds is attached to the power rack). it also has a boxing area if you're into that (i only saw a bunch of bag varieties - no ring). north grounds is really, really convenient, though, and it has most of the stuff you'd want as a weightlifter.

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Mon May 30, 2011 12:31 pm

Any grade action (besides property)?

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon May 30, 2011 1:01 pm

uvahooo wrote:Any grade action (besides property)?

Think of the amount of work Student Records does on an average day then think of the fact it's a 3 day weekend with a national holiday. They may not open until noon tomorrow.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon May 30, 2011 1:33 pm

I feel like 1L grades weren't done coming in until mid to late June last year. You've got to cut the professors some slack, they probably have a lot of procrastination to do before they can finish grading exams.

plum

Postby plum » Mon May 30, 2011 2:01 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
plum wrote:one of my professors still hasn't even printed out our exams off lawweb
Two of mine haven't, including Con Law. But, hey, who needs grades anyway?

still true

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Mon May 30, 2011 2:38 pm

You don't need grades when you go to a T9 law school.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Mon May 30, 2011 2:57 pm

Doritos wrote:You don't need grades when you go to a T9 law school.
Career Services OGI Handbook wrote:If you are not in the top third of the class AND a strong interviewer, then your plan should include more than just OGI. This is also true if you do not have prior work experience.
Worst. Golden. Ticket. Ever.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon May 30, 2011 3:01 pm

Doritos wrote:You don't need grades when you go to a T9 law school.

In my mind I always refer to it as a T9 as well. I'm such a prestige whore.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”