UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
coldshoulder

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby coldshoulder » Sat May 21, 2011 2:48 am

Three questions:

1. How is UVA's PI and Gov placement?
2. How is UVA's LRAP?
3. How easy is it to get to DC Gov from UVA?

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Sat May 21, 2011 7:16 pm

sundance95 wrote:Random question: does anyone know what size softball the 1L section league uses? A soon to be classmate and I are starting to get our catch on and want to make sure we aren't using the wrong ball. Softballs generally come in what I call "super-huge" or "twice-baseball" sizes.

Ummmm. I'm fairly certain they'd be the "super huge" type that you are talking about. But, I'm not 100% positive. A little more description and I'd probably be able to tell you exactly.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat May 21, 2011 9:49 pm

coldshoulder wrote:Three questions:

1. How is UVA's PI and Gov placement?
2. How is UVA's LRAP?
3. How easy is it to get to DC Gov from UVA?

1. Fine but it varies depending on what you mean by "PI" and "Gov" as well as your grades.
2. mediocre compared to HYS Columbia Boalt and Michigan. Better than non top 14 schools.
3. Dependent on what you mean by "DC Gov" and one's grades.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun May 22, 2011 4:47 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Random question: does anyone know what size softball the 1L section league uses? A soon to be classmate and I are starting to get our catch on and want to make sure we aren't using the wrong ball. Softballs generally come in what I call "super-huge" or "twice-baseball" sizes.

Ummmm. I'm fairly certain they'd be the "super huge" type that you are talking about. But, I'm not 100% positive. A little more description and I'd probably be able to tell you exactly.

Yeah, I was pretty vague. After a little research, I found that the general sizes are 11" and 12" circumferences, and more rarely, a 16" circumference (usually played with no gloves). Rather than speculate, I sent an email to NGSL and will report what they say for others benefit.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sun May 22, 2011 9:32 pm

It's the "twice baseball" size (11-12", the same kind you see used in women's fast pitch). We don't use no sissy balls 'round here.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon May 23, 2011 3:13 pm

It looks like Cary actually posted some course evals today, though mostly clinics and other courses of that nature. No major classes yet. I'm guessing next week we start to see some actual movement?

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Mon May 23, 2011 3:18 pm

It seems a bit premature to re-start this thread as an attack on Carey Bennett since maybe profs still haven't graded all of the exams. But give it a week and then we can probably justify having someone we can all blame.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:34 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:

It's the "twice baseball" size (11-12", the same kind you see used in women's fast pitch). We don't use no sissy balls 'round here.

Nice, this is what we've been using.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Mon May 23, 2011 3:48 pm

I GOT A GRADE! JAG SCHOOL FTW!

(It helps when there are no finals to grade.)

plum

Postby plum » Mon May 23, 2011 4:07 pm

one of my professors still hasn't even printed out our exams off lawweb

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Mon May 23, 2011 4:26 pm

plum wrote:one of my professors still hasn't even printed out our exams off lawweb
Two of mine haven't, including Con Law. But, hey, who needs grades anyway?

zephyr36

Postby zephyr36 » Mon May 23, 2011 11:41 pm

Is it too late to apply for a 2 bedroom at Ivy? I was thinking I would just apply for one and find a roommate. I figure it will be tons easier to find a roommate when I have an apartment then clamoring with tons of other people to be someone else's roommate.

plum

Postby plum » Tue May 24, 2011 12:14 am

where in cville can one get an apartment on short notice, say three weeks before school starts in the fall? what strategy would you use... craigslist?

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Tue May 24, 2011 1:40 am

Do you know any ED splitters? How have they fared at UVa? Obviously UVa is among only a few top schools that takes 17X/3~ splitters ED. I'm curious how these types of students end up doing.

East Coast Law

Postby East Coast Law » Tue May 24, 2011 9:47 am

Soooo... Having just realized that there are no Chase Banks in VA which is where ive been banking for the past 6 years, any suggestions on what bank to open an account in near school?

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue May 24, 2011 10:04 am

East Coast Law wrote:Soooo... Having just realized that there are no Chase Banks in VA which is where ive been banking for the past 6 years, any suggestions on what bank to open an account in near school?
Wachovia/Wells and B of A are both in the Barracks Road shopping center down the street from the Law School. If you're walking, Wachovia is far closer.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue May 24, 2011 12:55 pm

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue May 24, 2011 1:22 pm

YCrevolution wrote:There's also SunTrust, UVA Community Credit Union, and Virginia National Bank all within/next to Barracks Road Shopping Center. The credit union is the closest financial institution to the law school.

How often are you folk using the inside of a branch? I probably go into the bank a couple of times a year. My bank could be anywhere in the city and I don't think I'd be inconvenienced.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue May 24, 2011 1:27 pm

albanach wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:There's also SunTrust, UVA Community Credit Union, and Virginia National Bank all within/next to Barracks Road Shopping Center. The credit union is the closest financial institution to the law school.

How often are you folk using the inside of a branch? I probably go into the bank a couple of times a year. My bank could be anywhere in the city and I don't think I'd be inconvenienced.
I go in once or twice a month to get quarters for laundry/parking.

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue May 24, 2011 1:39 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:I go in once or twice a month to get quarters for laundry/parking.

No change machine at the laundry? That's frustrating.

I guess I'm fortunate to have my own washer/drier and a parking pass.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue May 24, 2011 1:44 pm

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue May 24, 2011 1:48 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
albanach wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:I go in once or twice a month to get quarters for laundry/parking.

No change machine at the laundry? That's frustrating.

I guess I'm fortunate to have my own washer/drier and a parking pass.

Sometimes there's a machine but that doesn't mean that it has quarters. Combined with paper checks to cash, I probably go inside about twice a month.
I live in Family Housing. Each building has a laundry room, but it's just (at least in my case) one washer and two driers, so there's no change machine. On the other hand, it's literally one step outside my apartment, so that's nice.

esq

Postby esq » Tue May 24, 2011 1:50 pm

East Coast Law wrote:Soooo... Having just realized that there are no Chase Banks in VA which is where ive been banking for the past 6 years, any suggestions on what bank to open an account in near school?

I've been at Chase too, but now that they've rid themselves of my free WaMu account and are instituting all sorts of crazy fees, I'm ready to jump ships when I get out to VA. I hear Wachovia has free checking, are there any others around the school that are also fee free?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue May 24, 2011 1:57 pm

pjo

Postby pjo » Tue May 24, 2011 1:59 pm

Can I access my uva.edu email straight through google or do I have to keep logging in through SIS? It's starting to get really annoying because I have to keep recreating a temporary SIS password each time.

And... can I park at the aquatic fitness center without a parking pass or will I get ticketed? It's a little further from the Jeffersonian apartments than I expected and I can't see myself wanting to walk from there to the gym in the winter.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”