UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby RVP11 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:07 am

WVUCelticFan wrote:I mentioned this before, but when I met with the financial aid office, I was told to expect to tuition to go up 4-7% all three years I will attend.


I'm not sure this is right. Maybe it goes up 4-7% with regard to each incoming 1L class, but I'm fairly sure that you're "locked in" to your 1L tuition to some extent. I think my tuition only went up like 2% from last year to this year.

User avatar
WVUCelticFan
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby WVUCelticFan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:12 pm

RVP11 wrote:
WVUCelticFan wrote:I mentioned this before, but when I met with the financial aid office, I was told to expect to tuition to go up 4-7% all three years I will attend.


I'm not sure this is right. Maybe it goes up 4-7% with regard to each incoming 1L class, but I'm fairly sure that you're "locked in" to your 1L tuition to some extent. I think my tuition only went up like 2% from last year to this year.


She estimated my total loan amounts (assuming I took the maximum available less scholarships) with with a 5% increase for years two and another 5% for year three. It wasn't anything set in stone though. I certainly hope I can keep around the same tuition the whole time.

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:36 pm

The UVA Law Blog (LinkRemoved) (RIP) had a pretty thorough piece on the last round of tuition hikes.

My $.02 on the undergrad hike: 9% is fucking absurd. Our generation is getting screwed. I wish the baby-boomers would all die and make a four-year degree worth having again. Also, I wish the people who have no business going to college had a viable alternative. But I digress...

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby pjo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:51 pm

RVP11 wrote:
WVUCelticFan wrote:I mentioned this before, but when I met with the financial aid office, I was told to expect to tuition to go up 4-7% all three years I will attend.


I'm not sure this is right. Maybe it goes up 4-7% with regard to each incoming 1L class, but I'm fairly sure that you're "locked in" to your 1L tuition to some extent. I think my tuition only went up like 2% from last year to this year.



Yeah I kind of thought they increased tuition a little differently for each class. I'm just going off the stat on the financial aid portion of the UVA Law site. It says that this year 2L's and 3L's paid the same amount in tuition (45,000 OOS) whereas 1L's paid 47,500 OOS. Also, when I visited over the summer, Hulvey told me that it was more than likely tuition for the class of 2014 would be "just south" of 50k. I also sent an email to financial aid at the beginning of this month asking when we would find out about the increase. She said that the board of trustees meets mid April and they'll release on the website the tuition amount they decide on either in late April/early May. That would be great though if each class was locked into their 1L rate, or if the increase from year-to-year was negligible.

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby joemoviebuff » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:30 pm

pjo wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
WVUCelticFan wrote:I mentioned this before, but when I met with the financial aid office, I was told to expect to tuition to go up 4-7% all three years I will attend.


I'm not sure this is right. Maybe it goes up 4-7% with regard to each incoming 1L class, but I'm fairly sure that you're "locked in" to your 1L tuition to some extent. I think my tuition only went up like 2% from last year to this year.



Yeah I kind of thought they increased tuition a little differently for each class. I'm just going off the stat on the financial aid portion of the UVA Law site. It says that this year 2L's and 3L's paid the same amount in tuition (45,000 OOS) whereas 1L's paid 47,500 OOS. Also, when I visited over the summer, Hulvey told me that it was more than likely tuition for the class of 2014 would be "just south" of 50k. I also sent an email to financial aid at the beginning of this month asking when we would find out about the increase. She said that the board of trustees meets mid April and they'll release on the website the tuition amount they decide on either in late April/early May. That would be great though if each class was locked into their 1L rate, or if the increase from year-to-year was negligible.


I wonder if there's any way to voice our concerns to the board of trustees...

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:04 am

What is mmmjk? Is it a joke?

Also, I'm visiting UHeights, Wesgate, Rugby McIntyre, and Northwoods at the 4 seasons apartments this weekend. I will be married and looking to be close to stuff. Anyone know anything about any of these places?

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:37 am

Law Sauce wrote:What is mmmjk? Is it a joke?

Also, I'm visiting UHeights, Wesgate, Rugby McIntyre, and Northwoods at the 4 seasons apartments this weekend. I will be married and looking to be close to stuff. Anyone know anything about any of these places?


UHeights looked like it was acceptable but not great. I think it's about a mile away from the law school. Walking to class would be possible but probably not preferred. I may be way off, but the vibe I got from Rugby McIntyre is that it was a place that sorority girls live. While this could have some advantages for someone single, it might not be the best place for a law student and their wife. It's also on the other side of Emmet which is a drawback.

User avatar
WVUCelticFan
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby WVUCelticFan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:45 am

While not a fan of hipsters, I love hipster coffee shops. Is there one near the law school or barracks?

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:23 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:What is mmmjk? Is it a joke?

Also, I'm visiting UHeights, Wesgate, Rugby McIntyre, and Northwoods at the 4 seasons apartments this weekend. I will be married and looking to be close to stuff. Anyone know anything about any of these places?


UHeights looked like it was acceptable but not great. I think it's about a mile away from the law school. Walking to class would be possible but probably not preferred. I may be way off, but the vibe I got from Rugby McIntyre is that it was a place that sorority girls live. While this could have some advantages for someone single, it might not be the best place for a law student and their wife. It's also on the other side of Emmet which is a drawback.


Yea, I get that a little bit from the website. thanks for the response.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Law Sauce wrote:What is mmmjk? Is it a joke?

Also, I'm visiting UHeights, Wesgate, Rugby McIntyre, and Northwoods at the 4 seasons apartments this weekend. I will be married and looking to be close to stuff. Anyone know anything about any of these places?


I would strongly recommend avoiding UHeights. If you're married, I would look at renting a house. Good houses within a couple miles of the law school can be found for the same price as an apartment.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:48 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:What is mmmjk? Is it a joke?

Also, I'm visiting UHeights, Wesgate, Rugby McIntyre, and Northwoods at the 4 seasons apartments this weekend. I will be married and looking to be close to stuff. Anyone know anything about any of these places?


I would strongly recommend avoiding UHeights. If you're married, I would look at renting a house. Good houses within a couple miles of the law school can be found for the same price as an apartment.


How would I begin to look for these houses? craigslist? Im not finding much through the UVa housing searches.

Also, why? is U heights full of undergrads?

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:08 pm

Law Sauce wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:What is mmmjk? Is it a joke?

Also, I'm visiting UHeights, Wesgate, Rugby McIntyre, and Northwoods at the 4 seasons apartments this weekend. I will be married and looking to be close to stuff. Anyone know anything about any of these places?


I would strongly recommend avoiding UHeights. If you're married, I would look at renting a house. Good houses within a couple miles of the law school can be found for the same price as an apartment.


How would I begin to look for these houses? craigslist? Im not finding much through the UVa housing searches.

Also, why? is U heights full of undergrads?


I would check craigslist and the offgrounds housing website. I find the house that I'm renting through the off-grounds housing website.

Other apartments worth checking out - Jefferson Ridge, the Woodlands and Walker Square.

I would avoid UHeights because it tends to be a bit sketchy. While there are certainly some undergrads there, there are also some seedier people there - a couple years ago there was a shooting in UHeights (robbery of a drug dealer's apartment gone wrong). Likewise, you must avoid Trophy Chase, Wilton Farms, and Mallside Forest Court.

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:33 pm

WVUCelticFan wrote:While not a fan of hipsters, I love hipster coffee shops. Is there one near the law school or barracks?


The closest hipster coffee shop is on Preston, Shenandoah Joe's. They roast their own beans, have about a hundred varieties, and a very knowledgable staff that will look much cooler than you could ever aspire to.

There is also Mudhouse on the Downtown Mall and Para (who serve Shenandoah Joe's coffee), which might actually be closer, but good luck getting anywhere near the Corner for a quick coffee run.

You'll probably have to settle for HotCakes, Greenberry's, or Starbucks and like it.

User avatar
WVUCelticFan
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby WVUCelticFan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:12 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
WVUCelticFan wrote:While not a fan of hipsters, I love hipster coffee shops. Is there one near the law school or barracks?


The closest hipster coffee shop is on Preston, Shenandoah Joe's. They roast their own beans, have about a hundred varieties, and a very knowledgable staff that will look much cooler than you could ever aspire to.

There is also Mudhouse on the Downtown Mall and Para (who serve Shenandoah Joe's coffee), which might actually be closer, but good luck getting anywhere near the Corner for a quick coffee run.

You'll probably have to settle for HotCakes, Greenberry's, or Starbucks and like it.


Thanks for all the suggestions. I just drink cheap folgers during the week, but like to go to coffee shops on weekend mornings, especially during the winter. The others probably wouldn't be too far away then without any time constraints.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:19 pm

WVUCelticFan wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:
WVUCelticFan wrote:While not a fan of hipsters, I love hipster coffee shops. Is there one near the law school or barracks?


The closest hipster coffee shop is on Preston, Shenandoah Joe's. They roast their own beans, have about a hundred varieties, and a very knowledgable staff that will look much cooler than you could ever aspire to.

There is also Mudhouse on the Downtown Mall and Para (who serve Shenandoah Joe's coffee), which might actually be closer, but good luck getting anywhere near the Corner for a quick coffee run.

You'll probably have to settle for HotCakes, Greenberry's, or Starbucks and like it.


Thanks for all the suggestions. I just drink cheap folgers during the week, but like to go to coffee shops on weekend mornings, especially during the winter. The others probably wouldn't be too far away then without any time constraints.


Shenandoah Joe's is closed on Sunday mornings. I'm a big fan of mudhouse on the downtown mall. Charlottesville Coffee isn't bad either, but it tends to attract a lot of young families.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby sundance95 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:24 pm

vamedic03 wrote:I would check craigslist and the offgrounds housing website. I find the house that I'm renting through the off-grounds housing website.

I found my house through Craigslist. There's also a great website called brac.com that I would definitely recommend. Good luck!

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby albanach » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:55 am

sundance95 wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:I would check craigslist and the offgrounds housing website. I find the house that I'm renting through the off-grounds housing website.

I found my house through Craigslist. There's also a great website called brac.com that I would definitely recommend. Good luck!


I think brac.com does cover the majority of managed properties locally. I think you can get better value through private listings, and they'll probably be mostly on craigslist or in the Daily Progress, however there's potentially greater risk there too. You never know what sort of landlord you'll get, whereas you can google a bit and find out how bad each of the local management companies are.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Law Sauce » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:18 am

thanks vamedic03, I will skip visiting UHeights then.

Frankie55
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Frankie55 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:34 pm

I settled on UVa way late, so it looks like the best option for me may be the Graduate Centre. If any TLSer happens to be looking at their availabilities right now, or thinks he may have an apartment there with vacancies, feel free to PM me. I am a chill bro. (But not like a "chill bro.")

Also--can you accept loans by semester instead of by year? Would help to avoid overestimating. (Don't know because I didn't need to take any out for undergrad.)

Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Apple Tree » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:39 am

Does anyone know how U-Quad apartment is (managed by Real Property)? Here is it's website: http://www.realpropertyinc.com/resident ... onfig=1777. The address is 1300 Wertland Street. It's about 2 miles away from the school, but it seems to be close to the undergraduate campus, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to rent there.

PancakeMonster
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby PancakeMonster » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:52 pm

Looks like I'll officially be at UVa next year. Just received a decision from my final school. Is there a facebook group?

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby joemoviebuff » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:17 pm

PancakeMonster wrote:Looks like I'll officially be at UVa next year. Just received a decision from my final school. Is there a facebook group?


You bet your balls! Welcome aboard. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/group.php?gid=148830531800850

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby 005618502 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:14 pm

Whats the driving situation like? how bad is it to not have a car? What if you are living with a gf/fiancée who has a car? I know it depends where you live but lets say I could get rides/ walk to and from the law school very easily

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6380
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby 5ky » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:27 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:Whats the driving situation like? how bad is it to not have a car? What if you are living with a gf/fiancée who has a car? I know it depends where you live but lets say I could get rides/ walk to and from the law school very easily


If you're living with a gf who has a car, it would be no problem -- provided you live close enough to the law school to walk. I think relying on borrowing her car/having her pick you up and drop you off every time you wanted to go to the school could be problematic; I'm sure she would start to feel like it was a burden.

Traveller
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:30 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Traveller » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:34 am

Hey ya'll, I was wondering if I could get some advice on an LSAT score needed to get into UVA. I didn't want to post a new thread on What are My Chances since I don't actually have an LSAT score, but figured you guys might be willing to help/share experiences. I have a 3.6 at solid SEC school (not vandy though haha) and I anticipate applying to ls with a 3.7. Can anyone give me an LSAT estimate that I need to work at/hope for? Sorry if this is unwelcome here, I just didnt want to get bombarded for starting a thread on the chance me forum without an LSAT. Thanks

edit. btw I am way early, I'm finishing up my soph. year so I have a whole year before thinking of applying, I'm just seeing how much prep I'm going to need to put into the LSAT.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], joeytribbiani, Roddy618 and 7 guests