UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
napolnic

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby napolnic » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:40 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:I was talking to a lot of people involved in the Libel Show and a lot of them said they wished they'd done it their 1L year. What do you guys think?

As a side note, the ASW was awesome. I hope I get Coughlin for something.

Absolutely, yes. To paraphrase another Libel-er, it was worth the law school debt to do the Libel Show for three years.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:26 pm

napolnic wrote:Absolutely, yes. To paraphrase another Libel-er, it was worth the law school debt to do the Libel Show for three years.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:35 pm

I did about as much Libel this year as a 1L can do and the time commitment isn't that bad.

In the fall I was in a writing group and those meet once a week starting in mid-September and continuing until mid-November. The meetings are technically one hour a week, but ours usually went longer. No more than 2 hours a week though. The meetings are very relaxed, we usually drank beer during ours. People bring in skits they wrote, you read them, act them out , think of ways to make them funnier. It's just a workshop.

In the spring the rehearsals start, but the directors are good at setting up a schedule that doesn't take too much time. They're also pretty understanding of conflicts as I had to miss a couple times and they weren't too bent out of shape. It helped I knew my lines the times I was there. Each skit rehearses 30 minutes a week. Some skits will meet more if they are sloppy or complex. So you're talking 30 - 90 minutes a week during the year except for show weeks which, honestly, is pretty much sunk. I was able to do almost all my reading but there were times I walked in with canned briefs and hoped I avoided the cold call. You could be more efficient during show week but there are kegs back stage and everyone hangs out so a lot of people just give in.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:09 am

joeshmo39 wrote:I did about as much Libel this year as a 1L can do and the time commitment isn't that bad.

In the fall I was in a writing group and those meet once a week starting in mid-September and continuing until mid-November. The meetings are technically one hour a week, but ours usually went longer. No more than 2 hours a week though. The meetings are very relaxed, we usually drank beer during ours. People bring in skits they wrote, you read them, act them out , think of ways to make them funnier. It's just a workshop.

In the spring the rehearsals start, but the directors are good at setting up a schedule that doesn't take too much time. They're also pretty understanding of conflicts as I had to miss a couple times and they weren't too bent out of shape. It helped I knew my lines the times I was there. Each skit rehearses 30 minutes a week. Some skits will meet more if they are sloppy or complex. So you're talking 30 - 90 minutes a week during the year except for show weeks which, honestly, is pretty much sunk. I was able to do almost all my reading but there were times I walked in with canned briefs and hoped I avoided the cold call. You could be more efficient during show week but there are kegs back stage and everyone hangs out so a lot of people just give in.

Excellent post, thanks!

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:50 pm

napolnic wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:I was talking to a lot of people involved in the Libel Show and a lot of them said they wished they'd done it their 1L year. What do you guys think?

As a side note, the ASW was awesome. I hope I get Coughlin for something.

Absolutely, yes. To paraphrase another Libel-er, it was worth the law school debt to do the Libel Show for three years.

What is your favorite thing about yachting?

pjo

Postby pjo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:22 pm

Hoping maybe someone could share their experiences with this… At the business law info session at ASD, Morley talked about a Finance and Accounting course that the school advises students take, prior to taking other business law courses. He said that they discourage accounting/finance majors from taking it but I have to believe ppl with such backgrounds still take it an throw off the curve. Does anyone know if that is the case, and if so, should someone like myself, without a business major, refrain from taking the course as a 1L? How extensive are the accounting and finance principles taught in the course?

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:28 pm

pjo wrote:Hoping maybe someone could share their experiences with this… At the business law info session at ASD, Morley talked about a Finance and Accounting course that the school advises students take, prior to taking other business law courses. He said that they discourage accounting/finance majors from taking it but I have to believe ppl with such backgrounds still take it an throw off the curve. Does anyone know if that is the case, and if so, should someone like myself, without a business major, refrain from taking the course as a 1L? How extensive are the accounting and finance principles taught in the course?

I thought they actually prevent us business people from taking those classes. Does anybody know for sure? I would say that it would deff throw off the curve seeing that there are prolly many kids such as myself graduating in the top 1% of their undergraduate classes from top undergraduate business schools.

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:37 pm

I'm an accounting undergrad and got the impression that they would keep us out of them. While I could see accounting people wrecking the curve for acct, and finance for fin, Iwould actually like to take the finance one and get a review of it all. Been 5 semesters since I had an actual finance class or did anything beyond basic ratio analysis.

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:40 pm

WVUCelticFan wrote:I'm an accounting undergrad and got the impression that they would keep us out of them. While I could see accounting people wrecking the curve for acct, and finance for fin, Iwould actually like to take the finance one and get a review of it all. Been 5 semesters since I had an actual finance class or did anything beyond basic ratio analysis.

Do you think the accounting course would be basic journal entries and financial statement preparation?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:15 pm

pjo wrote:Does anyone know if that is the case, and if so, should someone like myself, without a business major, refrain from taking the course as a 1L?

It depends. Accounting and corporate finance are a lot different than other 1L courses, so if you find out after your first semester that you're good at law school exams, you might want to stick to exam-based courses to keep your GPA up. One person I know missed the law review cut-off due to a B in accounting. Also, if you take accounting and corporate finance in a fall semester, you'll only be with 2Ls and 3Ls, who care a lot less about grades than 1Ls do.

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:41 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:
WVUCelticFan wrote:I'm an accounting undergrad and got the impression that they would keep us out of them. While I could see accounting people wrecking the curve for acct, and finance for fin, Iwould actually like to take the finance one and get a review of it all. Been 5 semesters since I had an actual finance class or did anything beyond basic ratio analysis.

Do you think the accounting course would be basic journal entries and financial statement preparation?

I doubt it'll even be that. As short as it is, I imagine it is mostly "these are the financial statements and what each represents", "here is the terminology", "here is the basic accounting equation", etc. Hopefully someone who has had the classes can chime in though.

Brock2010

Postby Brock2010 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:45 pm

how did oci go this past year?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:54 pm

Brock2010 wrote:how did oci go this past year?

Depends on who you talk to. Law schools aren't releasing much data, but from what I gather, UVA did not do significantly worse or better than its peer schools. Most 2Ls who wanted summer associate positions found them, but many did not.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:13 pm

Cavalier wrote:

Depends on who you talk to. Law schools aren't releasing much data, but from what I gather, UVA did not do significantly worse or better than its peer schools. Most 2Ls who wanted summer associate positions found them, but many did not.

many=some=one
just use LSAT logic to make things seem better :)

kelc213

Postby kelc213 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:38 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

many=some=one
just use LSAT logic to make things seem better :)

haha, and "most" is "more than 50 percent."

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:15 pm

While I have never been one to discourage delicious trolling, I'm beginning to wish that other schools had students that frequently end up on ATL. It's not that we're up that much, but it's always us.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:18 pm

This makes three negative stories in as many weeks on ATL. What is going on at UVA?

--ImageRemoved--
http://abovethelaw.com/2011/04/most-cre ... -services/

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:28 pm

quakeroats wrote:This makes three negative stories in as many weeks on ATL. What is going on at UVA?

--ImageRemoved--

Let me begin our three part defense by saying that any other T14 would simply have snuffed these rabble-rousers out.
1. UVa Law is proud of its continued commitment to the arts.
2. Have we considered the possibility that Elie himself is responsible for these shenanigans?
3. If you don't recognize a piece that echoes in retro post-structuralism then frankly the significance of the piece is lost on you and you're just looking at paper and glue.
I will field any specific questions about our arts and crafts department.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:34 pm

quakeroats wrote:This makes three negative stories in as many weeks on ATL. What is going on at UVA?

and still, UVA>>>>>Duke

pjo

Postby pjo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:16 pm

Kohinoor wrote:While I have never been one to discourage delicious trolling, I'm beginning to wish that other schools had students that frequently end up on ATL. It's not that we're up that much, but it's always us.

Ehh, Pitt, my hometown team, has had it worse in my opinion. Let's compare:

-Students wearing shirts saying they can't find jobs VS. CSO posting summer job to hang pamphlets on cars
-Paper mache law building out of rejection letters VS. woman driving car into actual law building, causing giant gaping hole, the night before ASD

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:22 pm

pjo wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:While I have never been one to discourage delicious trolling, I'm beginning to wish that other schools had students that frequently end up on ATL. It's not that we're up that much, but it's always us.

Ehh, Pitt, my hometown team, has had it worse in my opinion. Let's compare:

-Students wearing shirts saying they can't find jobs VS. CSO posting summer job to hang pamphlets on cars
-Paper mache law building out of rejection letters VS. woman driving car into actual law building, causing giant gaping hole, the night before ASD

i feel like if it were penn doing this it would be a lot more satisfying to kohinoor

though that is pretty lol

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:30 pm

quakeroats wrote:This makes three negative stories in as many weeks on ATL. What is going on at UVA?/

(1) You're not a UVA law 2L or 1L.

(2) You're not a 0L inquiring about UVA.

(3) So why do you keep posting in here?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:32 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
quakeroats wrote:This makes three negative stories in as many weeks on ATL. What is going on at UVA?/

(1) You're not a UVA law 2L or 1L.

(2) You're not a 0L inquiring about UVA.

(3) So why do you keep posting in here?

i bet you are an extremely kind and respectful person IRL

ThreeYears

Postby ThreeYears » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:37 pm

--ImageRemoved--

I pity you, I mean it.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:39 pm

I am impressed by the maker (not sarcastic). I saved all my job rejection letter years ago when I first started working, I wish I was that creative ... I just have them in a folder for inspiration.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”