UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:49 am

omg wrote:
But r6, you HAVE been talking about these types of jobs. Our back-and-forth started because you were insisting that OGI employers ask a lot of behavioral questions (based at least in part on CS's info, but you still kept arguing the point even after multiple 2Ls said--from their personal experience with LEGAL hiring--that it isn't really true). You also said that you have worked with several NL250 firms and that you therefore know that you're interested in working for certain ones of them and that you know how to get there because of all your work and life experience. You started off (at least from where I picked up) telling other 0Ls that some of them simply don't have what it takes to succeed at OGI the way you do because of their lack of networking skills and personality or something. Granted, recently you have had one or two posts talking about some sort of mystical high-paying, non-biglaw legal jobs right out of law school that you somehow have access to, but you absolutely have been talking (a lot) about OGI and biglaw.


OGI behavior interview - retelling what career services said in the ASW session. Yes I went against a few 2Ls that chimed in, but mainly because I wanted to believe what I was told by the school.

Striking out at interviews - I stand by my comment about personality works against you if you are competing against others for limited jobs. Some grads say it matters, others say it matters less, there is no right and wrong because the answer is not absolute.

The firms I worked with - I think I said I want to work there so therefore I have a list to target, I don't know if I implied that I could def. get a job there because of my work experience.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:51 am

vanwinkle wrote:
r6_philly wrote:There is the drive and determination that people were discounting earlier. I am not a typical 0L. Can't afford to be.

In terms of drive and determination in your studies, this can be a good thing.

In terms of deference to people who have actually been through and experienced what you're talking about... not so much.


I agree, but no one has ever said anything like what just happened here in person and I talked to hundreds in different positions. Only here.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:52 am

Clint Eastwood wrote:
Would you say you were born and bred for success and achievement?


No I was not, I was homeless dammit, don't throw it in my face. :wink:

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:53 am

r6_philly wrote:I agree, but no one has ever said anything like what just happened here in person and I talked to hundreds in different positions. Only here.

Like I said, it's easier in person to just smile and nod without any lasting harm. Nobody correcting you doesn't mean you were right.

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby omg » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:56 am

r6_philly wrote:
omg wrote:
But r6, you HAVE been talking about these types of jobs. Our back-and-forth started because you were insisting that OGI employers ask a lot of behavioral questions (based at least in part on CS's info, but you still kept arguing the point even after multiple 2Ls said--from their personal experience with LEGAL hiring--that it isn't really true). You also said that you have worked with several NL250 firms and that you therefore know that you're interested in working for certain ones of them and that you know how to get there because of all your work and life experience. You started off (at least from where I picked up) telling other 0Ls that some of them simply don't have what it takes to succeed at OGI the way you do because of their lack of networking skills and personality or something. Granted, recently you have had one or two posts talking about some sort of mystical high-paying, non-biglaw legal jobs right out of law school that you somehow have access to, but you absolutely have been talking (a lot) about OGI and biglaw.


OGI behavior interview - retelling what career services said in the ASW session. Yes I went against a few 2Ls that chimed in, but mainly because I wanted to believe what I was told by the school.

Striking out at interviews - I stand by my comment about personality works against you if you are competing against others for limited jobs. Some grads say it matters, others say it matters less, there is no right and wrong because the answer is not absolute.

The firms I worked with - I think I said I want to work there so therefore I have a list to target, I don't know if I implied that I could def. get a job there because of my work experience.


right, like i said.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:03 am

vanwinkle wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I agree, but no one has ever said anything like what just happened here in person and I talked to hundreds in different positions. Only here.

Like I said, it's easier in person to just smile and nod without any lasting harm. Nobody correcting you doesn't mean you were right.


But an anonymous Internet forum is?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:05 am

omg wrote:right, like i said.


Ok, can we go back to discussing how many of your classmates can't find jobs? That seems to be more interesting than how I will get a job.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:06 am

r6_philly wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I agree, but no one has ever said anything like what just happened here in person and I talked to hundreds in different positions. Only here.

Like I said, it's easier in person to just smile and nod without any lasting harm. Nobody correcting you doesn't mean you were right.

But an anonymous Internet forum is?

We're not that anonymous. And like I said, there are other people reading to consider, especially since this is a thread for people seeking advice/information. Incorrect information is important to correct because unchecked mistakes could give readers the wrong idea, and TLS is all about giving people correct advice.

At least, that's what it's about for some people.

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby 4102011 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:06 am

Reading through this in preparation of visiting tomorrow is...interesting. XD

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby arism87 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:08 am

dulcatis wrote:Reading through this in preparation of visiting tomorrow is...interesting. XD


HAVE A GREAT TIME !!! :lol: :lol: :) :D :) :lol: :) :)

(hoping obnoxiously excessive cheer will cancel out the negative vibes in this thread, lol)

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:09 am

vanwinkle wrote:We're not that anonymous. And like I said, there are other people reading to consider, especially since this is a thread for people seeking advice/information. Incorrect information is important to correct because unchecked mistakes could give readers the wrong idea, and TLS is all about giving people correct advice.

At least, that's what it's about for some people.


Ok I will concede this point.

Also, this turned out to be a lot more serious than I thought. I was making casual observations, but yes the wrong place for it. I will admit that. So I will stop going down this path, here.

If I was that wrong, why didn't you tell me to stop? It's your thread, and you are a mod. I'd go back to the 0L thread and play.

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby 4102011 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:10 am

arism87 wrote:
dulcatis wrote:Reading through this in preparation of visiting tomorrow is...interesting. XD


HAVE A GREAT TIME !!! :lol: :lol: :) :D :) :lol: :) :)

(hoping obnoxiously excessive cheer will cancel out the negative vibes in this thread, lol)


Yaaay positive vibes! <3

2Ls, is the bbq worth going to in the rain? And are there any profs we should avoid/definitely try to sit in on their mini-classes?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:13 am

r6_philly wrote:I don't really get why being a T10 2L give you some proprietary knowledge on legal hiring especially since MOST law school grads don't have access to the jobs you guys will have?

Because we've been through OGI/OCI, so unlike you, we know how it works. Also, most UVA students will have access to the same interviews as the people in this thread. (I realize I'm at a different school now, but based on my conversations on TLS and elsewhere, I'm pretty certain the interviews are conducted pretty much the same way.)

Our "proprietary knowledge" is called "experience". It's something that people usually know to defer to.

r6_philly wrote:I keep stressing that I was not talking about biglaw, NJL250, OCI type jobs.

As "omg" pointed out:

r6_philly wrote:OGI behavior interview - retelling what career services said in the ASW session. Yes I went against a few 2Ls that chimed in, but mainly because I wanted to believe what I was told by the school.

Your knowledge is "I wanted to believe what I was told by the school". Seriously. Our "proprietary knowledge" is that we've all been through OCI/OGI and know whether the experience actually matched what the school said to expect. And you were certainly talking about OGI, which doesn't match up with your "I was not talking about ... OCI type jobs" line.

Like I said, there's a concern that others might read what you say and believe you if you're not corrected. If you want to stop being bludgeoned, that's easy; stop asserting you know what you're talking about when it comes to legal hiring, especially when your source of knowledge is at times nothing more than "what I was told by the school".

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:16 am

r6_philly wrote:If I was that wrong, why didn't you tell me to stop? It's your thread, and you are a mod. I'd go back to the 0L thread and play.

You weren't wrong in terms of bannable behavior, just in terms of giving correct information. I'm not gonna go around banning or threatening to ban people just because I disagree with them or think they don't know what they're talking about.

You're free to make whatever claims you want. But the 2Ls in the thread are also free to point out how wrong you are when you do.

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby omg » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:17 am

dulcatis wrote:Reading through this in preparation of visiting tomorrow is...interesting. XD


Don't let the negative vibes here turn you off to the school as a whole! No matter what you think of those of us on here, we're only a handful of students at a school of a thousand+. UVA is awesome, and I really hope you love your visit. The thing that has meant the most to me is how supportive the community is, something I didn't experience at my undergrad. I know that characteristic is not coming across in this thread right now :(

Again, I apologize for any negativity, especially my own. As you can probably see, much of it (from me and others) has been in response to one person trying to provoke us. Not that that justifies it. I really mean it this time: no more negativity from me.

In response to an earlier poster, other 2Ls and I are glad to continue to answer questions and be as helpful as we possibly can. We remember what it was like to be new law students and how helpful resources like TLS can be.

Everyone enjoy ASW this weekend! :D

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:21 am

vanwinkle wrote:Like I said, there's a concern that others might read what you say and believe you if you're not corrected. If you want to stop being bludgeoned, that's easy; stop asserting you know what you're talking about when it comes to legal hiring, especially when your source of knowledge is at times nothing more than "what I was told by the school".


I think it reflect poorly on the school that they are telling potentials 1 thing and their students are out telling another thing. Maybe the tshirts are right on point?

I do have other sources of knowledge on how to get a legal job outside of top/big firms, but I suppose this doesn't apply ITT as it turns out.

I have no problem being "bludgeoned", it's an Internet forum, if I minded I'd just abandon the topic.
Last edited by r6_philly on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby omg » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:22 am

dulcatis wrote:
arism87 wrote:
dulcatis wrote:Reading through this in preparation of visiting tomorrow is...interesting. XD


HAVE A GREAT TIME !!! :lol: :lol: :) :D :) :lol: :) :)

(hoping obnoxiously excessive cheer will cancel out the negative vibes in this thread, lol)


Yaaay positive vibes! <3

2Ls, is the bbq worth going to in the rain? And are there any profs we should avoid/definitely try to sit in on their mini-classes?


I personally think bbq is always worth it, rain or not :) In seriousness, though, they're not going to make you stand out in the rain. There will be cover inside, and it's a great place to meet people.

I'd recommend Magill (con law and legal history) for everyone and Sprigman (IP) and Riley (health law) if you have interests in those topics. Nothing negative about the other profs--I just don't know as much about them or they're not quite as popular.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:22 am

vanwinkle wrote:
r6_philly wrote:If I was that wrong, why didn't you tell me to stop? It's your thread, and you are a mod. I'd go back to the 0L thread and play.

You weren't wrong in terms of bannable behavior, just in terms of giving correct information. I'm not gonna go around banning or threatening to ban people just because I disagree with them or think they don't know what they're talking about.

You're free to make whatever claims you want. But the 2Ls in the thread are also free to point out how wrong you are when you do.


That's fair of you sir, thank you.

User avatar
predent/prelaw
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:43 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby predent/prelaw » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:12 pm

So does everyone at UVA go for VCU?

User avatar
A Swift
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:36 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby A Swift » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:26 pm

Please stop responding to R6, lest all the fun people leave this forum or transfer schools.

Frankie55
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Frankie55 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:40 pm

given that UVa has overenrolled in the past, is there a chance of losing your seat if you wait too close to the deposit deadline to enroll? in that case would you lose any scholly $ as well? deciding whether i should still hold out on another potential offer...

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:45 pm

Frankie55 wrote:given that UVa has overenrolled in the past, is there a chance of losing your seat if you wait too close to the deposit deadline to enroll? in that case would you lose any scholly $ as well? deciding whether i should still hold out on another potential offer...


No - this is not an issue.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:55 pm

r6_philly wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Like I said, there's a concern that others might read what you say and believe you if you're not corrected. If you want to stop being bludgeoned, that's easy; stop asserting you know what you're talking about when it comes to legal hiring, especially when your source of knowledge is at times nothing more than "what I was told by the school".


I think it reflect poorly on the school that they are telling potentials 1 thing and their students are out telling another thing. Maybe the tshirts are right on point?

I do have other sources of knowledge on how to get a legal job outside of top/big firms, but I suppose this doesn't apply ITT as it turns out.

I have no problem being "bludgeoned", it's an Internet forum, if I minded I'd just abandon the topic.


Dude, please stop.

(1) This is a thread for UVA 2L's (and 1L's) to answer questions from prospective students. You're not asking questions and you're not a 2L (or 1L or alum), so I don't understand why you keep arguing.

(2) I can assure you that 1L's will get much more thorough and intensive information and counseling about the OGI process. 1L's get mock interviews and multiple 1:1 counseling sessions with a variety of different people in the career services office. These in-depth sessions are great and the career services staff is uniformly awesome.

(3) The point of admitted students day is to give you a taste of the school. No one who is speaking there is trying to teach you about the intricacies of OGI or the legal recruiting process. Its simply not feasible.

(4) Hence, those of us who have been through OGI (2L's and alums) and those of us who have been through the counseling (1L's and 2L's) have an in depth perspective that you don't have.

So, r6, the point is this: Your past experience, while very valuable, does not make you the expert on this. In fact, it really doesn't bear on anything in this thread.

To everyone else: UVA is a great place (despite what quackeroats might claim). Its a very welcoming place where everyone finds a place to fit in. Overall, the profs are great and the administrators are great as well. Please keep in mind that the point of ASW is to simply give you a taste of the school - but I hope that y'all enjoy it.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:02 pm

I already apologized for talking about this in the wrong thread. Since that's the case, then I would like to ask your opinion on why career services paints a different picture than what you guys say, and how does that impact the employment prospect as marketed by career services. And do you think the 3Ls with the tee shirts bought too much into what career services sold, and less into what you guys are saying?

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:29 pm

predent/prelaw wrote:So does everyone at UVA go for VCU?


Not really. Most of us didn't go to UVA or VCU for undergrad and that's where sports allegiances are.

In terms of the BBQ, it'll be indoors if the weather is bad. It's pulled pork sandwiches.... which are always a good choice.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: EzraFitz, Hikikomorist, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests