UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
aprilshowers
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:36 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby aprilshowers » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:43 pm

R6: for someone who puts so much emphasis on networking, it seems like you are alienating important peers pretty early on in your legal career.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:49 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
(1) There is only 1 counselor in career services who is not an attorney.


1 is enough to make my point.

(2) I find it offensive that you presume that none of us have real work experience.


Apologies. But that was the point - it is offensive to imply anyone who hasn't taken 1L classes has no idea what it's like. I mean, it's not like we can't read or learn. Nothing magical about being a 2L other than seeing it first hand. Maybe not everyone do their research before applying to law schools, but it is offensive to imply that I didn't.

I can assure you that the person you directed this towards, omg, is doing very well for themselves IRL.

Look R6, the thing that is frustrating about your posts is that we're (2L's) just trying to tell y'all what it's like. I understand that you have work experience; however, plenty of us on here also have work experience. One of the eye opening things is just how insular legal hiring is and, especially for entry level big law hiring, how regimented the system is.


I already said my comments weren't about OGI/biglaw hiring. Nothing you guys said has been "eye-opening" because I looked before I filled out my applications. Hell I went back for 2 years of UG just so I can apply to law school, you'd think I do more research about what I am getting into.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:52 pm

aprilshowers wrote:R6: for someone who puts so much emphasis on networking, it seems like you are alienating important peers pretty early on in your legal career.


They don't seem to believe in networking ... so maybe it wouldn't matter anyway?

ETA: like I said, everyone I talked with at UVA was super nice, and we networked just fine.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby sundance95 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:06 am

vamedic03 wrote:Look R6, the thing that is frustrating about your posts is that we're (2L's) just trying to tell y'all what it's like. I understand that you have work experience; however, plenty of us on here also have work experience. One of the eye opening things is just how insular legal hiring is and, especially for entry level big law hiring, how regimented the system is.

2Ls: Please continue posting. Many 0Ls are interested in any and all insights you might have.

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby arism87 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:06 am

sundance95 wrote:
showNprove wrote:Every time I see arism87 post in this thread, it makes me wish that Isla Fisher was coming to U.Va.

+1000


lolol I wish this also! Sorry to disappoint :?

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby LLB2JD » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:12 am

arism87 wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
showNprove wrote:Every time I see arism87 post in this thread, it makes me wish that Isla Fisher was coming to U.Va.

+1000


lolol I wish this also! Sorry to disappoint :?


No, you're not.

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby arism87 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:14 am

LLB2JD wrote:
arism87 wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
showNprove wrote:Every time I see arism87 post in this thread, it makes me wish that Isla Fisher was coming to U.Va.

+1000


lolol I wish this also! Sorry to disappoint :?


No, you're not.


lol not sorry enough to change my picture or stop posting in the thread, no..

User avatar
icouldbuyu
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby icouldbuyu » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:30 am

arism87 wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
showNprove wrote:Every time I see arism87 post in this thread, it makes me wish that Isla Fisher was coming to U.Va.

+1000


lolol I wish this also! Sorry to disappoint :?


Please tell me that you look like her!!!!

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby arism87 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:37 am

icouldbuyu wrote:Please tell me that you look like her!!!!


lol I've been told that, but I can only hope.

User avatar
WVUCelticFan
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby WVUCelticFan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:50 am

Kohinoor wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
Cavalier wrote:The shirts are stupid. 3Ls and 2Ls from YHS and down are unemployed. I have no objection with deterring others from attending law school; many people have no idea what they're getting into and will probably be better off not attending. But the problem lies with the economy, not with UVA.


sooo someone tell me why i should come to UVA again? :(

Because you made decision trees, ran a cost benefit analysis, and like the collegiate atmosphere.



I made ridiculous spread sheets with possible debt out comes and future earnings of all schools of interest last summer on a break from work....decision came down to "these two have working numbers, but this one feels better." Long live overdone cost benefits!

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby pjo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:12 am

WVUCelticFan wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
Cavalier wrote:The shirts are stupid. 3Ls and 2Ls from YHS and down are unemployed. I have no objection with deterring others from attending law school; many people have no idea what they're getting into and will probably be better off not attending. But the problem lies with the economy, not with UVA.


sooo someone tell me why i should come to UVA again? :(

Because you made decision trees, ran a cost benefit analysis, and like the collegiate atmosphere.



I made ridiculous spread sheets with possible debt out comes and future earnings of all schools of interest last summer on a break from work....decision came down to "these two have working numbers, but this one feels better." Long live overdone cost benefits!


psssh, what a waste of time. Magic 8 ball FTW!

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:00 am

Above The Law is a fucking joke. Everyone knows that. The t-shirt thing barely constitutes news. I saw it on ATL and had to confirm with another 1L that it did in fact happen. I like how a strong urging and free t-shirts was all it took to quash the so-called rebellion. :roll:

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:27 am

arism87 wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:Please tell me that you look like her!!!!


lol I've been told that, but I can only hope.


You do, I vouch for that.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:37 am

aprilshowers wrote:R6: for someone who puts so much emphasis on networking, it seems like you are alienating important peers pretty early on in your legal career.

While I kind of agree with the sentiment, alting to belittle another poster is never a good idea, especially in a thread started by a mod.

--ImageRemoved--

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:42 am

vanwinkle wrote:
aprilshowers wrote:R6: for someone who puts so much emphasis on networking, it seems like you are alienating important peers pretty early on in your legal career.

While I kind of agree with the sentiment


See this is how it always goes on the Internet.

No one, none of you, will come out in person and say to a 0L face to face "You are a 0L, you know nothing about legal hiring, all your assumptions are wrong." You will phrase it like, "well there is a lot to be learn about legal hiring because it is a different beast. So get good grades and don't worry, things will work out with good grades."

There will be no argument then. That's why everyone gets along IRL. It's easier to confront when you are anonymous.

User avatar
icouldbuyu
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby icouldbuyu » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:50 am

r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:Please tell me that you look like her!!!!


lol I've been told that, but I can only hope.


You do, I vouch for that.


@R6, you should've introduced me during ASW then!!! :D

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:52 am

icouldbuyu wrote:@R6, you should've introduced me during ASW then!!! :D


I barely saw them on Sat. We went out for drinks on Thur. You should have come earlier and joined the little outing at the Corner.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:13 am

r6_philly wrote:See this is how it always goes on the Internet.

No one, none of you, will come out in person and say to a 0L face to face "You are a 0L, you know nothing about legal hiring, all your assumptions are wrong."

This is true, but only because I've never met in person a 0L who kept insisting he knows as much or more about legal hiring as a group of T10 2Ls.

Oh, and when I'm talking to people in person, the conversations aren't being recorded and shown to potentially hundreds or thousands of people as potential authority on the subject. That makes it much easier to say "whatever" and let someone carry on like a fool if they want.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:28 am

vanwinkle wrote:
r6_philly wrote:See this is how it always goes on the Internet.

No one, none of you, will come out in person and say to a 0L face to face "You are a 0L, you know nothing about legal hiring, all your assumptions are wrong."

This is true, but only because I've never met in person a 0L who kept insisting he knows as much or more about legal hiring as a group of T10 2Ls.

Oh, and when I'm talking to people in person, the conversations aren't being recorded and shown to potentially hundreds or thousands of people as potential authority on the subject. That makes it much easier to say "whatever" and let someone carry on like a fool if they want.


There is an employment forum here populated by 2L/3L/grads for the past few years. 1000's of non-T14 grads also find jobs through non-OCI means. I don't really get why being a T10 2L give you some proprietary knowledge on legal hiring especially since MOST law school grads don't have access to the jobs you guys will have?

I keep stressing that I was not talking about biglaw, NJL250, OCI type jobs. Even the 2 career services staffer from 2 T10 schools told me to network and seek out small firms on my own because they don't recruit on campus. I never said grades are unimportant.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:35 am

Like I just said, I rarely encounter 0Ls this assertive about legal hiring in person.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:38 am

vanwinkle wrote:Like I just said, I rarely encounter 0Ls this assertive about legal hiring in person.


There is the drive and determination that people were discounting earlier. I am not a typical 0L. Can't afford to be.

I am exactly the same in person, BTW.

User avatar
Clint Eastwood
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:15 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Clint Eastwood » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:40 am

r6_philly wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Like I just said, I rarely encounter 0Ls this assertive about legal hiring in person.


There is the drive and determination that people were discounting earlier. I am not a typical 0L. Can't afford to be.

I am exactly the same in person, BTW.


Would you say you were born and bred for success and achievement?

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby omg » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:42 am

r6_philly wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
r6_philly wrote:See this is how it always goes on the Internet.

No one, none of you, will come out in person and say to a 0L face to face "You are a 0L, you know nothing about legal hiring, all your assumptions are wrong."

This is true, but only because I've never met in person a 0L who kept insisting he knows as much or more about legal hiring as a group of T10 2Ls.

Oh, and when I'm talking to people in person, the conversations aren't being recorded and shown to potentially hundreds or thousands of people as potential authority on the subject. That makes it much easier to say "whatever" and let someone carry on like a fool if they want.


There is an employment forum here populated by 2L/3L/grads for the past few years. 1000's of non-T14 grads also find jobs through non-OCI means. I don't really get why being a T10 2L give you some proprietary knowledge on legal hiring especially since MOST law school grads don't have access to the jobs you guys will have?

I keep stressing that I was not talking about biglaw, NJL250, OCI type jobs. Even the 2 career services staffer from 2 T10 schools told me to network and seek out small firms on my own because they don't recruit on campus. I never said grades are unimportant.


But r6, you HAVE been talking about these types of jobs. Our back-and-forth started because you were insisting that OGI employers ask a lot of behavioral questions (based at least in part on CS's info, but you still kept arguing the point even after multiple 2Ls said--from their personal experience with LEGAL hiring--that it isn't really true). You also said that you have worked with several NL250 firms and that you therefore know that you're interested in working for certain ones of them and that you know how to get there because of all your work and life experience. You started off (at least from where I picked up) telling other 0Ls that some of them simply don't have what it takes to succeed at OGI the way you do because of their lack of networking skills and personality or something. Granted, recently you have had one or two posts talking about some sort of mystical high-paying, non-biglaw legal jobs right out of law school that you somehow have access to, but you absolutely have been talking (a lot) about OGI and biglaw.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:44 am

r6_philly wrote:There is the drive and determination that people were discounting earlier. I am not a typical 0L. Can't afford to be.

In terms of drive and determination in your studies, this can be a good thing.

In terms of deference to people who have actually been through and experienced what you're talking about... not so much.

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby pjo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:44 am

Clint Eastwood wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Like I just said, I rarely encounter 0Ls this assertive about legal hiring in person.


There is the drive and determination that people were discounting earlier. I am not a typical 0L. Can't afford to be.

I am exactly the same in person, BTW.


Would you say you were born and bred for success and achievement?



lol. I wonder what happened to that guy




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: southerngent14, Whittie and 4 guests