UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:58 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Really? It's pretty clear from the context that Cavalier was referring to law school in general.

the fact that the statement was followed by a citation of UVA specifically got me confused. i suppose i digress, since i'm outnumbered

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby joemoviebuff » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:59 pm

Since I'll be there on Friday, one of the more interesting paragraphs of the article was the one that said the shirt-wearer's may get a bigger group together for the second ASW, which is supposed to have a ton more people than the first one, operating on the assumption that with a larger group, UVA's administration will be less inclined to dissuade their protest. I must admit, it would be a rather odd sight to see at a function designed to attract students. If I see any of them, I'll certainly listen to their shpiel and see what their stories are.

Maybe if we're supremely lucky the board of tuition-deciders will feel pressure to lower tuition for us ha ha.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:02 pm

arism87 wrote:This thread is all hostile, I'm disappointed in UVA :?


I am disappointed that no one was hostile in person. Everyone was too happy.

User avatar
kelc213
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:05 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby kelc213 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:02 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:Since I'll be there on Friday, one of the more interesting paragraphs of the article was the one that said the shirt-wearer's may get a bigger group together for the second ASW, which is supposed to have a ton more people than the first one, operating on the assumption that with a larger group, UVA's administration will be less inclined to dissuade their protest. I must admit, it would be a rather odd sight to see at a function designed to attract students. If I see any of them, I'll certainly listen to their shpiel and see what their stories are.

Maybe if we're supremely lucky the board of tuition-deciders will feel pressure to lower tuition for us ha ha.


Fuck, I hope I see the "protesters" this weekend. I'm definitely going where they're going after since this thread previously hypothesized that they must be the heavy drinkers/fun-havers.

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby omg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:This thread is all hostile, I'm disappointed in UVA :?


I am disappointed that no one was hostile in person. Everyone was too happy.


haha all the "hostile" people here basically live in the law review office, so unless you went there, they're prob not the same people you talked to.

correction: not actually "all"
Last edited by omg on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:05 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Cavalier wrote:The shirts are stupid. 3Ls and 2Ls from YHS and down are unemployed. I have no objection with deterring others from attending law school; many people have no idea what they're getting into and will probably be better off not attending. But the problem lies with the economy, not with UVA.

sooo someone tell me why i should come to UVA again? :(

I was referring to law school in general, not UVA specifically. Reading TLS is enough evidence that many people don't know what they're in for. The economy sucks, and I think it's important that everyone entering a T10 law school knows that they're not all going to get the jobs they want. In the opinion of some people (presumably many of the unemployed 3Ls), attending a T10 law school at the full price is not worth it, and although I disagree with them, I see no problem with them expressing that opinion to prospective law students. What I do object to is them deterring students from attending UVA specifically, which is the message that I think those shirts send. The economy, not UVA, is responsible for the employment woes faced by students.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:07 pm

omg wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:This thread is all hostile, I'm disappointed in UVA :?


I am disappointed that no one was hostile in person. Everyone was too happy.


haha all the "hostile" people here basically live in the law review office, so unless you went there, they're prob not the same people you talked to.


You mean UVA didn't like them enough to bring them out?

I saw your edit - hopefully not.

But the point is I am disappointed that no one wanted to tell us how we are wrong about everything.

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby omg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:10 pm

r6_philly wrote:
omg wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:This thread is all hostile, I'm disappointed in UVA :?


I am disappointed that no one was hostile in person. Everyone was too happy.


haha all the "hostile" people here basically live in the law review office, so unless you went there, they're prob not the same people you talked to.


You mean UVA didn't like them enough to bring them out?

I saw your edit - hopefully not.

But the point is I am disappointed that no one wanted to tell us how we are wrong about everything.


clearly. haha, and no one tells the collective you ("us") about how you're wrong about "everything." they mostly just tell you (single) how you're wrong about some things. keep up the super-generalizations, though. they're entertaining.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby showNprove » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:14 pm

Every time I see arism87 post in this thread, it makes me wish that Isla Fisher was coming to U.Va.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:15 pm

r6_philly wrote:
But the point is I am disappointed that no one wanted to tell us how we are wrong about everything.

They plied me with liquor before they would let me near you guys.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby sundance95 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:15 pm

showNprove wrote:Every time I see arism87 post in this thread, it makes me wish that Isla Fisher was coming to U.Va.

+1000

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:24 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:Since I'll be there on Friday, one of the more interesting paragraphs of the article was the one that said the shirt-wearer's may get a bigger group together for the second ASW, which is supposed to have a ton more people than the first one, operating on the assumption that with a larger group, UVA's administration will be less inclined to dissuade their protest. I must admit, it would be a rather odd sight to see at a function designed to attract students. If I see any of them, I'll certainly listen to their shpiel and see what their stories are.

Maybe if we're supremely lucky the board of tuition-deciders will feel pressure to lower tuition for us ha ha.



You might be up to something here, my friend.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:40 pm

omg wrote:
clearly. haha, and no one tells the collective you ("us") about how you're wrong about "everything." they mostly just tell you (single) how you're wrong about some things. keep up the super-generalizations, though. they're entertaining.


If you guys are right about these things more of those tshirt wearers would have jobs. Don't hog the knowledge, spread it with your classmates ;)

Edit: it doesn't matter if I am right or wrong as long as I am getting ahead in life. You should clearly be worrying about that.
Last edited by r6_philly on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:41 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
But the point is I am disappointed that no one wanted to tell us how we are wrong about everything.

They plied me with liquor before they would let me near you guys.


They did serve drinks at the reception, that'd be entertaining. You should have come!

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby omg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:
omg wrote:
clearly. haha, and no one tells the collective you ("us") about how you're wrong about "everything." they mostly just tell you (single) how you're wrong about some things. keep up the super-generalizations, though. they're entertaining.


If you guys are right about these things more of those tshirt wearers would have jobs. Don't hog the knowledge, spread it with your classmates ;)

Edit: it doesn't matter if I am right or wrong as long as I am getting ahead in life. You should clearly be worrying about that.


Wait, I'm not trying to be snarky here, I am honestly wondering what you are trying to say: that I should be worried about you getting ahead in life or that I should be worried about getting ahead in my own life?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:53 pm

omg wrote:Wait, I'm not trying to be snarky here, I am honestly wondering what you are trying to say: that I should be worried about you getting ahead in life or that I should be worried about getting ahead in my own life?


It's ok if you are, it's cool you are not. I meant to say you should be worried about getting ahead in your own life.

Things are working out for me splendidly, family and career, there isn't much of a chance I will be convinced that I am wrong about how I managed to get things to work out. Or how it wouldn't continue to work out well for me by doing the same thing.

I mean I may very well be wrong, but does it matter?

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby omg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:55 pm

r6_philly wrote:
omg wrote:Wait, I'm not trying to be snarky here, I am honestly wondering what you are trying to say: that I should be worried about you getting ahead in life or that I should be worried about getting ahead in my own life?


It's ok if you are, it's cool you are not. I meant to say you should be worried about getting ahead in your own life.

Things are working out for me splendidly, family and career, there isn't much of a chance I will be convinced that I am wrong about how I managed to get things to work out. Or how it wouldn't continue to work out well for me by doing the same thing.

I mean I may very well be wrong, but does it matter?


i really wasn't. but thanks for clarifying. ok then, I "clearly" should be worrying about getting ahead in my life.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:56 pm

omg wrote:i really wasn't. but thanks for clarifying. ok then, I "clearly" should be worrying about getting ahead in my life.


You gotta come better than that. This could get boring.

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby omg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:00 pm

r6_philly wrote:
omg wrote:i really wasn't. but thanks for clarifying. ok then, I "clearly" should be worrying about getting ahead in my life.


You gotta come better than that. This could get boring.


I'm not trying to fight. Like I said, I was just clarifying. Like others, I'm not thrilled about the negative turn that this thread has taken and don't want to contribute to it (anymore, at least, and I apologize for doing so before).

I don't really want to defend (or even discuss) whether or how far I have gotten ahead in life on an Internet message board. Several people on here know me, so I'm fine letting my record speak for itself. I just wanted to know whether a 0L was really telling me that I clearly need to worry about getting ahead in my life.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:05 pm

omg wrote: I just wanted to know whether a 0L was really telling me that I clearly need to worry about getting ahead in my life.


This 0L stuff is being thrown around a lot. Did you know your career counselor is a 0L?

And yes it's happening. Not anymore than a bunch of students telling a mid-career manager how networking can't get you a job. But hey...

omg
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby omg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:09 pm

facepalm

socraticmethodman
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby socraticmethodman » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:09 pm

damn, the thread blew up tonight lol.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:09 pm

omg wrote:facepalm


You clearly have no idea how man facepalms are ahead of you.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:18 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
But the point is I am disappointed that no one wanted to tell us how we are wrong about everything.

They plied me with liquor before they would let me near you guys.


They did serve drinks at the reception, that'd be entertaining. You should have come!

ari and i had a greeeeat time at that one. met some friends :)

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:26 pm

r6_philly wrote:
omg wrote: I just wanted to know whether a 0L was really telling me that I clearly need to worry about getting ahead in my life.


This 0L stuff is being thrown around a lot. Did you know your career counselor is a 0L?

And yes it's happening. Not anymore than a bunch of students telling a mid-career manager how networking can't get you a job. But hey...


(1) There is only 1 counselor in career services who is not an attorney.

(2) I find it offensive that you presume that none of us have real work experience.

You clearly have no idea how man facepalms are ahead of you.


I can assure you that the person you directed this towards, omg, is doing very well for themselves IRL.

Look R6, the thing that is frustrating about your posts is that we're (2L's) just trying to tell y'all what it's like. I understand that you have work experience; however, plenty of us on here also have work experience. One of the eye opening things is just how insular legal hiring is and, especially for entry level big law hiring, how regimented the system is.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests