UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Kohinoor

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:This may have been asked before, but the thread is huge.
I hate the heat. How bad is it really?

How bad is the heat? The only time it's routinely above 50 degrees is during the summer; ie when there's a great chance that you won't be here. It was snowing a couple of days ago. To be honest, I've been kind of disappointed with the weather. I think Duke may be the only top 14 that truly has good weather.

I hear Stanford's got pretty swell weather.

UT ;)

Berkeley

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:49 pm

BruceWayne wrote:

How bad is the heat? The only time it's routinely above 50 degrees is during the summer; ie when there's a great chance that you won't be here. It was snowing a couple of days ago. To be honest, I've been kind of disappointed with the weather. I think Duke may be the only top 14 that truly has good weather.

It's still warmer there than here. The one thing I hate most about living this far north is the weather. My God, does it get miserably cold here.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:05 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

It's still warmer there than here. The one thing I hate most about living this far north is the weather. My God, does it get miserably cold here.

How can you hate 9 months of Uggs? :?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:15 pm

quakeroats wrote:UVA made ATL again:

--ImageRemoved--

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/03/law-stud ... mployment/

saw it when i was there. not gonna lie, i wasn't super happy about it. i'd love to see what they have planned for this weekend, when waaay more students are scheduled to be at the ASW

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:28 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote: saw it when i was there. not gonna lie, i wasn't super happy about it. i'd love to see what they have planned for this weekend, when waaay more students are scheduled to be at the ASW

But they didn't tell me not to come to UVA. They seem happy with the school and their 3 years, their only gripe was the jobless part. I am fairly certain some of them would do it over again.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote: saw it when i was there. not gonna lie, i wasn't super happy about it. i'd love to see what they have planned for this weekend, when waaay more students are scheduled to be at the ASW

But they didn't tell me not to come to UVA. They seem happy with the school and their 3 years, their only gripe was the jobless part. I am fairly certain some of them would do it over again.

honestly, the way my priorities lie, i don't give a shit where i go to school as long as it gives me the best job prospects over all other schools i got into. i would spend 3 years in death valley if it ensured a decent job upon graduation. i say that absolutely sincerely. it is my only only concern :(

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:35 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote: honestly, the way my priorities lie, i don't give a shit where i go to school as long as it gives me the best job prospects over all other schools i got into. i would spend 3 years in death valley if it ensured a decent job upon graduation. i say that absolutely sincerely. it is my only only concern :(

I totally agree. And if you read between the lines of the ATL article, if you worked hard, you have a better chance than some at UVA. Regardless, out of your options, UVA and Cornell is the only two that can give you decent prospects, UVA probably makes the most sense unless you get big money at Cornell.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:49 pm

The shirts are stupid. 3Ls and 2Ls from YHS and down are unemployed. I have no objection with deterring others from attending law school; many people have no idea what they're getting into and will probably be better off not attending. But the problem lies with the economy, not with UVA.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:56 pm

Cavalier wrote:The shirts are stupid. 3Ls and 2Ls from YHS and down are unemployed. I have no objection with deterring others from attending law school; many people have no idea what they're getting into and will probably be better off not attending. But the problem lies with the economy, not with UVA.

So if the shirts simply said "3L and no jobs" you would be ok?

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:58 pm

Cavalier wrote:The shirts are stupid. 3Ls and 2Ls from YHS and down are unemployed. I have no objection with deterring others from attending law school; many people have no idea what they're getting into and will probably be better off not attending. But the problem lies with the economy, not with UVA.

I can understand that they are frustrated but what is the end goal here? I highly doubt they are doing this for altruistic purposes. I say live your life, if they want to wear shirts let 'em wear shirts but I personally don't see the point.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote: honestly, the way my priorities lie, i don't give a shit where i go to school as long as it gives me the best job prospects over all other schools i got into. i would spend 3 years in death valley if it ensured a decent job upon graduation. i say that absolutely sincerely. it is my only only concern :(

I totally agree. And if you read between the lines of the ATL article, if you worked hard, you have a better chance than some at UVA. Regardless, out of your options, UVA and Cornell is the only two that can give you decent prospects, UVA probably makes the most sense unless you get big money at Cornell.

i'm expecting 15-30k (probably closer to the former, since there's no way i'd get need based aid) judging by LSN and since cornell is already 5k/year more expensive than UVA in tuition (roughly) 15k would just make up the difference - COL being comparable. and i still wouldn't take cornell at 15k cheaper over 3 years. looks like UVA is gonna be stuck with me

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:04 pm

r6_philly wrote:

So if the shirts simply said "3L and no jobs" you would be ok?

Sure. I have absolutely no problem with people being honest about the legal economy. But they can't blame their problems on UVA, which the shirts seem to be doing (maybe it's just me that interprets them that way).

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:06 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
RVP11 wrote:ITT: 0Ls discuss what's important in getting a legal job

Next, discuss what it takes to get good law school grades.

i don't really think that's a fair assessment on what is going on ITT, even if you're going for sarcasm. all i see is some 0Ls asking about how to get a good legal job from people who some experience because they're already in school. we all want to know more before we dive in and pay 50 grand a year in tuition at a lol school when the legal market sucks right now. plus the 0Ls who are answering are saying similar things to what i've heard 2Ls answer this question say. you don't have to be a dick about it

Please find the 2Ls who are saying that getting a legal job is all about networking and luck, and that grades aren't that important.

I see 0Ls talking about their experience with getting non-legal jobs and assuming that getting (good) legal jobs will be the same. It won't. Ninety-five percent of people at UVA are not going to get a big firm outside of the normal channels.
Last edited by RVP11 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:07 pm

Cavalier wrote:Sure. I have absolutely no problem with people being honest about the legal economy. But they can't blame their problems on UVA, which the shirts seem to be doing (maybe it's just me that interprets them that way).

I'd think even jolly 0Ls would think "I am at UVA and they don't have jobs OMG!"

I agree they shouldn't have emphasized on the school. Which is why the shirts didn't really bother me. But when I say I am confident that I will get a job you guys pile on me so maybe I should listen to the shirts? :lol:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:08 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Please find the 2Ls who are saying that getting a legal job is all about networking and luck, and that grades aren't that important.

I see 0Ls talking about their experience with getting non-legal jobs and assuming that getting (good) legal jobs will be the same.

You are assuming 0Ls in question don't know ways to get legal jobs outside of OGI. I totally agree with you on biglaw jobs because there is a rigid hiring structure. But there are other legal jobs.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:12 pm

RVP11 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
RVP11 wrote:ITT: 0Ls discuss what's important in getting a legal job

Next, discuss what it takes to get good law school grades.

i don't really think that's a fair assessment on what is going on ITT, even if you're going for sarcasm. all i see is some 0Ls asking about how to get a good legal job from people who some experience because they're already in school. we all want to know more before we dive in and pay 50 grand a year in tuition at a lol school when the legal market sucks right now. plus the 0Ls who are answering are saying similar things to what i've heard 2Ls answer this question say. you don't have to be a dick about it

I see 0Ls talking about their experience with getting non-legal jobs and assuming that getting (good) legal jobs will be the same. It won't. Ninety-five percent of people at UVA are not going to get a big firm outside of the normal channels.

you might be right, but this is a thread designed to help 0Ls (also 1Ls perhaps) so it would be appropriate to see many 0Ls moping around in here tripping on their shoelaces trying to figure out what the hell is up. we already know we're kinda dumb, don't rub it in

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:20 pm

RVP11 wrote:Please find the 2Ls who are saying that getting a legal job is all about networking and luck, and that grades aren't that important.

Did you go around during ASW and tell all the people wearing those shirts that grades are important? :D

I didn't say grades aren't important. I mean networking will likely give you more options whatever your grades are. If anything, knowing how to network well will help you at interviews. Same skills.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:23 pm

My feeling is that UVA, Penn, UM, Duke, etc. all have similar employment prospects right now and consequently, similar pockets of upset 3Ls. But we're the only ones who had the ambition to make shirts. I think this reflects well on our get-up-and-go.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:24 pm

r6_philly wrote:I totally agree with you on biglaw jobs because there is a rigid hiring structure. But there are other legal jobs.

I think you will be shocked how few non-shit legal jobs there are for fresh LS graduates, outside of BigLaw.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:26 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:My feeling is that UVA, Penn, UM, Duke, etc. all have similar employment prospects right now and consequently, similar pockets of upset 3Ls. But we're the only ones who had the ambition to make shirts. I think this reflects well on our get-up-and-go.

If you put your debt amount on the shirts, it would make a more striking statement.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:26 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

saw it when i was there. not gonna lie, i wasn't super happy about it. i'd love to see what they have planned for this weekend, when waaay more students are scheduled to be at the ASW

Wait, were you upset about the shirts or the truth?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:27 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
plum wrote:what do people think about doing 2 journals

Won't help you with jobs and you'll hate yourself.

Assuming that the above is true, if one was nonetheless interested in working on two journals, is it considered bad etiquette to accept both invitations?

I assume that accepting both invitations is the only way to work on two journals?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:28 pm

RVP11 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I totally agree with you on biglaw jobs because there is a rigid hiring structure. But there are other legal jobs.

I think you will be shocked how few non-shit legal jobs there are for fresh LS graduates, outside of BigLaw.

No I won't, I know where they are and how to get them. I can also go back to do what I do. Why do you think I am coming to law school?

Anyway, it's a dead horse, let's leave it be. I know something you don't, and you know something I don't, let's just live our own lives.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:29 pm

arism87

Postby arism87 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:29 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Wait, were you upset about the shirts or the truth?

I mean, I did think it came across as kind of mean-spirited and bitter (which is probably exactly how I will feel if I end up in that position) which just kind of a damper on a great day. We all know it's a real possibility (I hope) and if I had asked one of them about job prospects I would appreciate the truth, but yeah, shirts.. meh.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”