UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
paulinaporizkova

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
Not true. Friend got a 25,000 dollar need based grant from Penn (over 50,000 for the 3 years). Is this just because it is private?

does he have kids or heavy loans from undergrad? i don't really compare notes on this sort of thing, but i don't think i know anyone at any school who has a need based grant.

I got more from Penn and Berkeley (wow) and got 0 need based form UVA. I actually know someone who got at least 30k more need than me from Penn.

but don't you think that is (at least partly) a function of how much merit money you got at UVA?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:29 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote: but don't you think that is (at least partly) a function of how much merit money you got at UVA?

Perhaps, but it'd still be nice to get something. Even if just a token grant to acknowledge my situation. I am also still in line at B/P for merit money (separate process), so at least at those two, they are not mutually exclusive.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:54 pm

slightly different topic, the libel show is a crazy good time. i'm absolutely astounded at how talented some of the students are.

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:37 am

dailygrind wrote:slightly different topic, the libel show is a crazy good time. i'm absolutely astounded at how talented some of the students are.

he went to YARED

the mahoney sketch kind of had me cringing for some reason, although they did get the hand motions exactly right

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:55 am

the mahoney/jeffries thing? i know what you mean. the peer advisors thing, though...so awesome.

Malcolm8X

Postby Malcolm8X » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:30 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:Any UVA current students who recieved need based aid, I would love a PM! I am curious if it is really only loans? Or do they give decent grants for need, and about how much.

It seems to me that UVa bases their need based aid on their merit. I wonder why there is such a distinction between the two if this is the case. We got to remember that a lot of their money is through private donation. I guess that whole thing about leaving their grads with the least amount of debt has disappeared years ago, especially with the tuition hikes.

I sincerely hope that all this money they keep throwing around at these 'on the fence' students who decide not to go will get dispersed throughout the class (even if I don't get anything).

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:42 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Any UVA current students who recieved need based aid, I would love a PM! I am curious if it is really only loans? Or do they give decent grants for need, and about how much.

They don't really differentiate how they award scholarships, they describe them as being offered for "a combination of need and merit", but looking at the pattern of how they award $$$, it's clear that it's mostly going to merit. And by "merit" I mean high GPA/LSAT.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:07 pm

And on another new topic, how are students informed of journal results? I know the journals are supposed to post lists outside their offices, but do they send emails or anything as well?

Va L Rev Stud

Postby Va L Rev Stud » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:26 pm

5ky wrote:And on another new topic, how are students informed of journal results? I know the journals are supposed to post lists outside their offices, but do they send emails or anything as well?

Early morning phone call in July.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:53 pm

Va L Rev Stud wrote:
5ky wrote:And on another new topic, how are students informed of journal results? I know the journals are supposed to post lists outside their offices, but do they send emails or anything as well?

Early morning phone call in July.

I think 5ky meant the regular people journals, not law review.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:33 pm

They post announcements on the bulletin boards in Slaughter, IIRC. I remember trying to look over the shoulders of other people who were all crowded around to see who made what list.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:59 pm

Last year, the secondaries also placed letters in people's mail boxes. FWIW the letters will come in at all times of the day - I believe last year, JLP put the letters out before 8am while JSPL put the letters out in the afternoon.

Va L Rev douche* is also correct about VLR offers going out by phone call over the summer.

*doucherie is not a prerequisite for membership.

Va L Rev Stud

Postby Va L Rev Stud » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:03 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Last year, the secondaries also placed letters in people's mail boxes. FWIW the letters will come in at all times of the day - I believe last year, JLP put the letters out before 8am while JSPL put the letters out in the afternoon.

Va L Rev douche* is also correct about VLR offers going out by phone call over the summer.

*doucherie is not a prerequisite for membership.

It correlates strongly with having what it takes to be a member.

Ploof

Postby Ploof » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:48 pm

How douchy do you have to be to be accepted? Is there a grading process for that as well? Can we diversity on if we are not a douche?

Va L Rev Stud

Postby Va L Rev Stud » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:01 pm

Ploof wrote:How douchy do you have to be to be accepted? Is there a grading process for that as well? Can we diversity on if we are not a douche?

Would it be more or less douchy to have different standards for URMs and women?

plum

Postby plum » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:12 pm

what do people think about doing 2 journals

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:48 pm

plum wrote:what do people think about doing 2 journals

Won't help you with jobs and you'll hate yourself.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:55 pm

so i know this has been asked before, but accurate COL estimates if you're being cheap about it? 10-11,000? less?

Frankie55

Postby Frankie55 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:31 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:so i know this has been asked before, but accurate COL estimates if you're being cheap about it? 10-11,000? less?

+1

someone a few pages ago said s/he did it with 10, but would like to hear more. i've also heard max your loans for 1L just to make sure you don't go broke.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:57 pm

Frankie55 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:so i know this has been asked before, but accurate COL estimates if you're being cheap about it? 10-11,000? less?

+1

someone a few pages ago said s/he did it with 10, but would like to hear more. i've also heard max your loans for 1L just to make sure you don't go broke.

Well, I don't know if this is helpful at ALL, but I think I'm the poster people are referring to, so.. when I lived there (~2 years ago) I spent:

$600/mo studio apartment with utilities included--never managed to sublet during the summer though
$240/mo food (/cleaning supplies, etc) (x8 months/year)
$20/mo gas (almost never had to drive)

=$9360.

My parents paid my car and health insurance which in VA, together will now run me $86/month = another $1,032

=$10,392 total

That's without other miscellaneous expenses (for me: CLOTHES AND BOOZE, haircuts), but you can also certainly spend more or less on an apartment than I did. I'm sure I'm forgetting things, 'cause I'm shitty at managing my money, but yeah.

FWIW, I still plan to max out my loans if I end up at UVA, just for the comfort of it.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:04 am

RVP11 wrote:
plum wrote:what do people think about doing 2 journals

Won't help you with jobs and you'll hate yourself.

Assuming that the above is true, if one was nonetheless interested in working on two journals, is it considered bad etiquette to accept both invitations? Note that this is only a hypothetical and I'm asking because of something I heard another 1L say. I'm just curious.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:24 am

hey guys, question about people success with firms outside of OGI. Does this happen often in secondary markets that you can show real interest in? Or is it OGI or nothing? Also is this possible in smaller markets if you don't have great grades or do you need to give up on firms if you are bottom quarter?

I am honestly really terrified of going to UVa at sticker but im thinking of doing it anyway. I want to end up at a firm in a secondary market (philly or denver are my two ideal locations). Any help would be great. I'd appreciate PMs as well. thanks guys.

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:38 am

arism87 wrote:
Frankie55 wrote:

+1

Well, I don't know if this is helpful at ALL, but I think I'm the poster people are referring to, so.. when I lived there (~2 years ago) I spent:

$600/mo studio apartment with utilities included--never managed to sublet during the summer though
$240/mo food (/cleaning supplies, etc) (x8 months/year)
$20/mo gas (almost never had to drive)

=$9360.

My parents paid my car and health insurance which in VA, together will now run me $86/month = another $1,032

=$10,392 total

That's without other miscellaneous expenses (for me: CLOTHES AND BOOZE, haircuts), but you can also certainly spend more or less on an apartment than I did. I'm sure I'm forgetting things, 'cause I'm shitty at managing my money, but yeah.

FWIW, I still plan to max out my loans if I end up at UVA, just for the comfort of it.

I came up with similar calculations, so I think you calculated the costs fairly accurately although I included a "Hooker and Booze" allowance.

barry

Postby barry » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:50 am

Law Sauce wrote:hey guys, question about people success with firms outside of OGI. Does this happen often in secondary markets that you can show real interest in? Or is it OGI or nothing? Also is this possible in smaller markets if you don't have great grades or do you need to give up on firms if you are bottom quarter?

I am honestly really terrified of going to UVa at sticker but im thinking of doing it anyway. I want to end up at a firm in a secondary market (philly or denver are my two ideal locations). Any help would be great. I'd appreciate PMs as well. thanks guys.

Id like to get any ideas on this as well

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:53 am

barry wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:hey guys, question about people success with firms outside of OGI. Does this happen often in secondary markets that you can show real interest in? Or is it OGI or nothing? Also is this possible in smaller markets if you don't have great grades or do you need to give up on firms if you are bottom quarter?

Id like to get any ideas on this as well

I'm coming in with 2 jobs lined up, so I don't see why someone would say its OGI or nothing. From personal experience, I would say it takes a substantial amount of networking and luck.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”